Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, they have said "private health insurance, Medicare and Medicaid" as they had meeting with insurance consortium,

but what about ObamaCare and uninsured...

we STILL have no answer for. And costs are just not for the test kit, but also for the pathologist/lab add ons, the doctor visit, the other tests that will be done at the same time e.g. flu/respiratory...etc etc etc. And which test? The throat and nasopharangeal and the sputum.. goes on and on and on.

Yes, thank you for mentioning that. He said "private insurance" very specifically. You're right to point that out - there are other ways to get insurance.

I don't want to venture into the political so I'll let it go. I don't want to derail the thread at all!

I'll hope that anyone who needs the test (and, more importantly, treatment) will be in position to receive it.

jmo

A quick google tells me approx 30 million Americans (around 8%) have no medical insurance. If anyone manages to find out how much this test costs for those people I'm curious to know. Frightening (but understandable) that those people might not report feeling ill because they'd fear huge medical bills. Really, the government needs to offer the test and treatment for free under the circumstances.

Here are two quick links regarding virus on surfaces, but more info is available through various sources, some less reliable than others.

"It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).

If you think a surface may be infected, clean it with simple disinfectant to kill the virus and protect yourself and others. Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose."​

Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)

"The first section of the new paper focuses on how long coronaviruses can survive on inanimate surfaces, such as tables and door handles. The authors show that, depending on the material and the conditions, human coronaviruses can remain infectious from 2 hours to 9 days."​

Coronaviruses: How long can they survive on surfaces?
Thank you. Good to know

I had my first PT session today. Evaluation was last Friday, but today was my first time in the gym and using equipment. There were bottles of hand sanitizer around, but I didn't see dispensers of sanitizing wipes. Therapist had me warm up on a reclining stepper, but I did not use the handgrips. No staff or patients wore masks or gloves.

When my session concluded, and PT was making notes, I asked him about any special precautions that they are taking in the wake of COVID-19. At this time, they are not taking any extraordinary measures but have had communication from hospital executives who advise frequent hand washing, covering mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing, staying home if you feel unwell, etc. I'm going to one of Beaumont Hospital's satellite Physical Therapy facilities that's in a medical office building, so I'm not venturing into a hospital for treatment. It will be interesting to see if the circumstances change over the next several weeks. For now, I'm scheduled for PT twice weekly for eight weeks with another evaluation at that time.
Good luck BDE.

Canada has announced that there will be adjustments to employment insurance for people who are out of work due to the virus, specific discussions are about reducing the number of weeks that someone must work in order to qualify. The biggest concern is for people in hospitality, travel and tourism who may be laid off.

A quick google tells me approx 30 million Americans (around 8%) have no medical insurance. If anyone manages to find out how much this test costs for those people I'm curious to know. Frightening (but understandable) that those people might not report feeling ill because they'd fear huge medical bills. Really, the government needs to offer the test and treatment for free under the circumstances.

its a serious problem.

Canada has announced that there will be adjustments to employment insurance for people who are out of work due to the virus, specific discussions are about reducing the number of weeks that someone must work in order to qualify. The biggest concern is for people in hospitality, travel and tourism who may be laid off.

Ty otto, was wondering about income flow.

UK-
Emergency talks have taken place in Westminster between the Speaker and the government’s chief medical officer about the possibility of parliament closing during the Covid-19 outbreak.

The Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, is said to be concerned about the spread of the coronavirus, not only for the staff working in the building but because the Palace of Westminster is a major tourist attraction.

Boris Johnson said more information could be released in the next couple of days on the advice for parliament, which employs 3,000 people, as well as for other large gatherings of people.

The prime minister’s spokesperson said: “It’s not for me to speak for parliament but I’m sure parliament will itself be led by the advice of the experts in terms of taking the steps it needs in order to protect the people that work there.

“Discussions are already taking place with parliamentary authorities and scientific and medical advisers.”

Emergency coronavirus talks held on possibility of parliament closing | House of Commons | The Guardian

Canada has the ability to do such as many countries, but US doesn't have national healthcare, so how do they do it if they even want to? dunno

Hope the Senate members don't have vacation plans as they need to get to work MOO

Last edited:
WTF, this cannot be right?!?

According to data gathered by eHealth, the average health insurance cost for single coverage premiums in 2018 is $440 per month. For family coverage, the cost for premiums in 2018 is $1,168 per month.
It’s right. That’s what I pay for my son and I. Luckily I can afford it. Very grateful too.

According to data gathered by eHealth, the average health insurance cost for single coverage premiums in 2018 is $440 per month. For family coverage, the cost for premiums in 2018 is $1,168 per month.
I personally know people who pay $1000+/month AND have a $5000 deductible. They normally don't reach that level. It's a disgrace IMO

Yes, that is correct. My premiums are $1900 a month for a family of 4 and it covers very little. An ER visit is $300 for just the visit, that does not count test or labs.

It is not...and you pay those premiums for the joy of a $6,000 deductible, meaning until you pay that 6k, said insurance doesn't kick in. And no, your premiums do not count towards that deductible...those who have insurance under their employer have ZERO idea how much of a screw job those who do not get...and Obamacare actually made it somewhat better...at least the deductible came down from 10-12k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust