Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its even worse knowing my companies health insurance is based in NY, and since im on thr west coast, I have significantly less people in network.

If I got symptoms, I dont even know where to go or what to do!
Looks like people are being told to go to the Health Dept in lieu of the hospital when worried about Covid-19. Or in Florida, they're doing this.

One thing to know about face masks and we were taught this as well: when face masks become wet from water vapor (with breathing), they are no longer effective. I do like using face masks but they do have limitations that you need to be aware of.

"“The regular surgical masks that you might buy at the drug store probably are effective for half an hour, and after that, they become wet from your breath, then they’re much less effective,” said Dr. Stephen Blatt, medical director for infectious diseases at TriHealth. “The longer you wear them, the less effective they become.”"
Coronavirus, flu prevention: Face masks offer little protection
You need a N95 respirator, not a regular surgical mask anyway.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...x-airport-tests-positive-coronavirus-n1149986

CORONAVIRUS
[/paste:font]
Medical screener at LAX airport tests positive for coronavirus
The person was among screeners who are assigned to the airport's in-transit lounge and also "support jetway screening on direct flights from China."

WASHINGTON — A medical professional who conducted passenger screenings at Los Angeles International Airport tested positive for the coronavirus late Tuesday night, according to the Department of Homeland Security and an internal email obtained by NBC News.

The person last worked screening air travelers for illness on Feb. 21, the DHS said in a statement, which also said the medical professional had worn the proper protective gear while working. The internal email described the person as a "contract medical screener" for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The email also said "these screeners are predominantly assigned to the CDC in-transit lounge and a few support jetway screening on direct flights from China."

In its statement, the DHS said: "Late last night, DHS headquarters was alerted to a situation where one of our contracted medical professionals conducting screenings at LAX international airport had tested positive for COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus. This individual is currently under self-quarantine at home with mild symptoms and under medical supervision. Their immediate family is also under home quarantine."

According to DHS, the individual began to exhibit cold-like symptoms on Saturday and visited a primary care doctor on Sunday and was tested for COVID-19, which came back positive on Tuesday.

The individual's last shift at LAX was Feb. 21, more than a week before the appearance of symptoms. According to the internal email, the screener worked at LAX from Feb. 14 to 21 and became symptomatic on Feb. 29.

Medical screener at LAX airport tests positive for coronavirus

BBM EBM
Oh boy!

That statement about test kits available for Medicare, Medicaid and Private Insurance...... Yes, but what about deductibles? I guarantee BC/BS is NOT going to eat costs. MANY have deductibles over 2500/yr.. most on Obama seem to have 6k. So they go to get tested, then get a bill later. And have to make payments or destroy your credit. My daughter just had surgery in OR. Dr. told her it would ALL be covered by insurance 100%. She ended up with a 5500 bill for all the 'extra's' and now has ANOTHER monthly payment on top of student loans etc. Insurance companies do NOT care. They want their money.

I was really taken with that quote/tweet from the guy who said that if you (governments, etc) think about what actions you'd take in 2 weeks when the outbreak is a bit bigger, then the time to take those actions is *now*.

I don't understand why the UK government has only said that businesses might consider having staff work at home at some point, instead of suggesting that they start that right now for those staff who can. Same with the staggered working hours, especially in areas where lots of people use trains/tubes/buses to get into work. Surely these kind of actions are low impact on the economy and to individuals but can help to reduce R0?

I spoke to my friend in London earlier. She said everyone seems more edgy on public transport, barely anyone wearing masks but scarves up and gloves on. Her office have sanctioned working from home where possible BUT her husband owns a business which depends on customers being in the city... he reckons it'll go under within weeks if revenue is halved.

Medical issues aside, I think the financial effects of this virus - worldwide - will be way more serious than we realise. There have already been hundreds, if not thousands, of tourism staff laid off/stood down. And god knows how Italy will recover from this in terms of tourist bookings and spending.

That statement about test kits available for Medicare, Medicaid and Private Insurance...... Yes, but what about deductibles? I guarantee BC/BS is NOT going to eat costs. MANY have deductibles over 2500/yr.. most on Obama seem to have 6k. So they go to get tested, then get a bill later. And have to make payments or destroy your credit. My daughter just had surgery in OR. Dr. told her it would ALL be covered by insurance 100%. She ended up with a 5500 bill for all the 'extra's' and now has ANOTHER monthly payment on top of student loans etc. Insurance companies do NOT care. They want their money.
I don't have to pay a deductible for routine tests, i.e. bloodwork, bone density, mammogram, etc..so I would like to believe there would not be a deductible for something as crucial as this test. JMO

ETA I should have said co-pay instead of deductible. I don't pay one, but there's no connection to a deductible either. IOW no cost to me.

Last edited:
The virus can exist/survive on surfaces right? I just was preparing to make supper and I realized - I just put the bag of potatoes on my counter and it could have who knows what on it. So many things we don't normally think about. Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back