Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick google tells me approx 30 million Americans (around 8%) have no medical insurance. If anyone manages to find out how much this test costs for those people I'm curious to know. Frightening (but understandable) that those people might not report feeling ill because they'd fear huge medical bills. Really, the government needs to offer the test and treatment for free under the circumstances.
I agree the test should be free. And many people have what DH and I call 'placebo insurance' which is insurance you pay dearly for and doesn't cover much if at all when you need to use it. :(

Yes, that is correct. My premiums are $1900 a month for a family of 4 and it covers very little. An ER visit is $300 for just the visit, that does not count test or labs.
This is what we've observed and that's just awful. Also some hospitalizations are covered but the hospitals lab and/or x-ray isn't/aren't covered. This is the last thing on people's minds when they're ill and they're in a bind because they can't tell the hospital that they'd like their bloods sent elsewhere where they do have coverage. It's really ridiculous!

This is what we've observed and that's just awful. Also some hospitalizations are covered but the hospitals lab and/or x-ray isn't/aren't covered. This is the last thing on people's minds when they're ill and they're in a bind because they can't tell the hospital that they'd like their bloods sent elsewhere where they do have coverage. It's really ridiculous!

I have reguarly put off going to the doctor because of the complications of finding specific Dr's who are "in network" and with that limited selection appointments are often at least a month out

Slovenia has confirmed its first case of coronavirus, according to a government statement Slovenia confirms its first case of coronavirus

Surprised it's taken so long given they border northern Italy. The whole of Europe is only a smidge bigger than the USA so you'd expect the spread patterns to be similar, though population density must be much greater in Europe.

Businesses around Seattle are being asked to stagger work times at their offices due to coronavirus, in order to cut the number of people crowded into mass transit vehicles at rush hour Seattle-area groups asked to stagger office work times due to coronavirus

I was really taken with that quote/tweet from the guy who said that if you (governments, etc) think about what actions you'd take in 2 weeks when the outbreak is a bit bigger, then the time to take those actions is *now*.

I don't understand why the UK government has only said that businesses might consider having staff work at home at some point, instead of suggesting that they start that right now for those staff who can. Same with the staggered working hours, especially in areas where lots of people use trains/tubes/buses to get into work. Surely these kind of actions are low impact on the economy and to individuals but can help to reduce R0?

I have reguarly put off going to the doctor because of the complications of finding specific Dr's who are "in network" and with that limited selection appointments are often at least a month out
We know so many in the same boat. It's just awful! Or the MD is in network but the anesthesiologist isn't and the lab isn't... It's very frustrating.

I agree the test should be free. And many people have what DH and I call 'placebo insurance' which is insurance you pay dearly for and doesn't cover much if at all when you need to use it. :(

I work, solely because of insurance benefits. The cost of a decent insurance policy is so ridiculous for someone my age, I am working until I am eligible for Medicare.

CORONAVIRUS
[/paste:font]
Medical screener at LAX airport tests positive for coronavirus
The person was among screeners who are assigned to the airport's in-transit lounge and also "support jetway screening on direct flights from China."

WASHINGTON — A medical professional who conducted passenger screenings at Los Angeles International Airport tested positive for the coronavirus late Tuesday night, according to the Department of Homeland Security and an internal email obtained by NBC News.

The person last worked screening air travelers for illness on Feb. 21, the DHS said in a statement, which also said the medical professional had worn the proper protective gear while working. The internal email described the person as a "contract medical screener" for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The email also said "these screeners are predominantly assigned to the CDC in-transit lounge and a few support jetway screening on direct flights from China."

In its statement, the DHS said: "Late last night, DHS headquarters was alerted to a situation where one of our contracted medical professionals conducting screenings at LAX international airport had tested positive for COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus. This individual is currently under self-quarantine at home with mild symptoms and under medical supervision. Their immediate family is also under home quarantine."

According to DHS, the individual began to exhibit cold-like symptoms on Saturday and visited a primary care doctor on Sunday and was tested for COVID-19, which came back positive on Tuesday.

The individual's last shift at LAX was Feb. 21, more than a week before the appearance of symptoms. According to the internal email, the screener worked at LAX from Feb. 14 to 21 and became symptomatic on Feb. 29.

Medical screener at LAX airport tests positive for coronavirus

BBM EBM

I work in healthcare, and our company has locations in 30 states and several countries. We received an urgent email yesterday from our CEO stating:

1. All international travel must be canceled, effective immediately.

2. All domestic travel should be canceled unless it is vital to business function.

3. Reduce expenses as it is anticipated that shutdowns will become necessary in some of our locations.

I am currently on a domestic trip that is considered “vital to business function.”

We have 6 locations in California that they are closely monitoring at this time.

In all of our healthcare centers we have begun screening patients, asking if they have traveled out of the country in the last 30 days, and if they have symptoms including fever, cough, etc.

Also packages were sent to each clinical staff member with HEPA masks.

This $&!@ is getting real.

One of the newly announced coronavirus cases in Los Angeles county is a medical screener at Los Angeles International Airport, according to the Department of Homeland Security Los Angeles coronavirus patient is a medical screener at LAX airport
Orlando Intntl. airport gave permission for the
TSA workers to wear face masks. Many were wearing them today as shown on the news.
Orange Co. Fl. Health Dept. (Orlando)told
Ch. 9 that 36 people are being kept in isolation
as they'd traveled to China.

Orlando Intntl. airport gave permission for the
TSA workers to wear face masks. Many were wearing them today as shown on the news.
Orange Co. Fl. Health Dept. (Orlando)told
Ch. 9 that 36 people are being kept in isolation
as they'd traveled to China.
Aren't mask not effective against covid? Or so we are told.

We know so many in the same boat. It's just awful! Or the MD is in network but the anesthesiologist isn't and the lab isn't... It's very frustrating.
Its even worse knowing my companies health insurance is based in NY, and since im on thr west coast, I have significantly less people in network.

If I got symptoms, I dont even know where to go or what to do!

One thing to know about face masks and we were taught this as well: when face masks become wet from water vapor (with breathing), they are no longer effective. I do like using face masks but they do have limitations that you need to be aware of.

"“The regular surgical masks that you might buy at the drug store probably are effective for half an hour, and after that, they become wet from your breath, then they’re much less effective,” said Dr. Stephen Blatt, medical director for infectious diseases at TriHealth. “The longer you wear them, the less effective they become.”"
Coronavirus, flu prevention: Face masks offer little protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member