Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HEPA masks are effective, regular drug store masks are not.

However, I would wear any type of mask I could obtain, as I feel like any mask might be better than no mask. MOO

it's been stated that nothing but an N95 respirator is effective because the virus just goes through the holes in the fabric
what is HEPA?

ETA: there are so many different recommendations about masks that now I am thoroughly confused

Last edited:
I didn't watch the presser, but nothing about groups of 10 in the document? Was that just for elderly/high risk?

Everybody

I still don’t see the groups of 10 mentioned anywhere in the King County WA directives. Was that just a random statement at the presser or would someone link this please.

HEPA masks are effective, regular drug store masks are not.

However, I would wear any type of mask I could obtain, as I feel like any mask might be better than no mask. MOO
I do agree with you despite reports to the contrary and that is MOO. I'm researching how to disinfect the reusable N95 masks because that would creep me out that I could become infected by handling the mask.

Aren't mask not effective against covid? Or so we are told.

It's not a simple yes/no thing.

The advice I've seen is that no mask is guaranteed as the virus is so small. However, in certain high risk situations it can offer some benefit if worn and used properly. So, nurses and doctors would have had fit tests and training on wearing PPE, and they are high risk for being in contact with a covid-19 patient, so if they're in contact with the patient, they should wear a mask.

A person sick with covid-19 is advised to wear a mask to catch their coughs/virus laden heavy breaths/sneezes to protect those close to them/the person nursing them. The person who's actually nursing the sick person is advised to wear one.

But the general public, who might not be following good hygiene practices with the mask, and maybe the closest they come to a confirmed case this week is five miles, then the public going through hundreds of millions of masks per day is not considered a very good use of the masks.

I'm sure most people are trying to do their best with the masks, but the eyes are exposed, and not everyone is wearing gloves, how many of those people are still touching a dirty surface and then rubbing their eyes and then shaking someone's hand?

So they're really saying to save the masks for when they're going to offer the greatest protection. Given the shortages and price gouging I've seen, I don't think that's bad advice. I wish it had been given weeks ago so that people who are immune suppressed or other higher risk group could go and get a pack of masks and some hand sanitizer today for a normal price.

I do agree with you despite reports to the contrary and that is MOO. I'm researching how to disinfect the reusable N95 masks because that would creep me out that I could become infected by handling the mask.
Ingenuous entrepreneurs in China are collecting USED face masks and IRONING them before re-selling them.

I am listening to the radio and a travel agent is stating that it is an excellent time to take a cruise. So many people are canceling that cruise lines are offering rock bottom prices.
it's been stated that nothing but a respirator is effective because the virus just goes through the holes in the fabric
what is HEPA?

ETA: there are so many different recommendations about masks that now I am thoroughly confused
HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air.
N95 masks filter out 95% of particulates. In healthcare we use N100 masks when we treat tuberculosis patients, as N100 masks filter 100% of particulates.

I am listening to the radio and a travel agent is stating that it is an excellent time to take a cruise. So many people are canceling that cruise lines are offering rock bottom prices.

Twitter
California governor says Grand Princess cruise ship being held off the coast as a number of passengers and crew members have developed symptoms. Test kits will be flown to the ship.

The travel agent on the radio must either be clueless or hope we are!

Its even worse knowing my companies health insurance is based in NY, and since im on thr west coast, I have significantly less people in network.

If I got symptoms, I dont even know where to go or what to do!

At work our health insurance coverage recently changed companies, and I am still trying to figure out the new in-network, out-network, etc. Also which urgent care facility is covered. I made some calls today and am starting to sort it all out. This is a good time to do so, so that we are prepared if needed.

I grew up in Canada but went to graduate school in the United States and have lived in the U.S. for most of my life. The Canadian health care system covers everyone, but the care you get is rationed. My mother, who lived in Canada, had kidney stones and it was very painful, and she was on a waiting list for 9 months for treatment. During that time, she had a fair amount of discomfort, as you can imagine. The doctors thought it was discomfort related to the kidney stones, but it wasn't that at all, in retrospect. It was her heart, and she died at 68.

So there are pros and cons of each system of health care. Notwithstanding the complications of it all, I do hope clinics and medical facilities will waive the cost of testing for all patients, not just those with health care coverage or Medicaid and medicare. The federal government will have to bear the costs, I assume.

Our university's medical center is looking at ways to survive already, looking for a private partner or to sell. The reimbursement rates and other factors have put the hospital in the red for three years now, and it is not sustainable.

Just MOO.

US doesn't have enough masks if pandemic hits. They don't even have enough for medical personnel. I think that has a lot more with the advice given to the general public than the idea that these masks don't work.

it's been stated that nothing but an N95 respirator is effective because the virus just goes through the holes in the fabric
what is HEPA?

High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA), also known as high-efficiency particulate absorbing and high-efficiency particulate arrestance, is an efficiency standard of air filter.
HEPA - Wikipedia
Definition of arrestance: "Arrestance is a measure of the ability of an air filtration device to remove synthetic dust from the air. The arrestance describes how well an air filter removes larger particles - such as dirt, lint, hair, and dust. ASHRAE arrestance is a measure of the ability of a device to remove ASHRAE dust from test air."
Air Filter Arrestance and Efficiency

The virus can exist/survive on surfaces right? I just was preparing to make supper and I realized - I just put the bag of potatoes on my counter and it could have who knows what on it. So many things we don't normally think about. Blech.

Heh, you clearly aren't my long-lost sibling, as my mother Lysol-wipes everyone's soles and the wheels on my luggage every time that I pay them a visit... didn't someone used to sell a surface disinfecting spray that wasn't poisonous? I remember companies advertising it to go inside refrigerators, crisper drawers, etc.

The virus can exist/survive on surfaces right? I just was preparing to make supper and I realized - I just put the bag of potatoes on my counter and it could have who knows what on it. So many things we don't normally think about. Blech.

I thought about the virus when I received my Amazon package today. I wish I would not have thought about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214