Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More than 27,000 'under surveillance' in India

India says it has already screened some 600,000 people for the virus at its air and seaports, and put more than 27,000 people "under surveillance" across the country.

Health Minister Harsh Vardhan says India was “the first country in the world to prepare for an outbreak” as it began screening on 17 January, two weeks before the WHO declared an emergency.

“India is thoroughly prepared to handle any situation that could emerge,” he said.

However, experts say the world’s second most populous country would face considerable challenges if there was an outbreak.

It would be impossible to mass quarantine people like China has successfully done, and the country’s creaky public health system would be find it difficult to accommodate all patients.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...5f7b9e4958db067adf0b02&pinned_post_type=share

More than 10,000 masks go missing in France

The French government is stepping in to regulate face masks and hand gels, the Local France reports.

President Emmanuel Macron announced that the government would take control of all stocks and distribute them to people who need them.

It comes as hospitals in France reported thefts of 10,000 masks.

Hôpitaux de Paris has reported the theft of 8,300 masks from its sites, as well as 1,200 bottles of hand sanitiser gel, while the Hôpital de la Conception in Marseille reported the theft of 2,000 masks.

The French government has advised that masks are only necessary for those infected or who are self-isolating. Despite this, stocks are running low across the country.

Italy virus death toll jumps to 79 as PM to announce measures - BBC News

Drug shortage fears as India limits medicine exports

There are fears of global shortages of some common drugs after India limited the export of certain medicines due to the coronavirus.

India's drug makers rely on China for almost 70% of the active ingredients in their medicines.

Industry experts have warned that manufacturers are likely to face shortages if the epidemic continues.

On Wednesday, India - the world's biggest supplier of generic drugs - has restricted exports of 26 ingredients and the medicines made from them.

The restricted drugs include Paracetamol, one of the world's most widely-used pain relievers.

Italy virus death toll jumps to 79 as PM to announce measures - BBC News

RENTON, Wash. — The Renton School District learned a student from Hazen High School tested positive for coronavirus Tuesday night, prompting officials to close the school for the rest of the week.

The district posted to its website Tuesday detailing plans to close Hazen High School through March 6. Public Health - Seattle & King County recommended closing Hazen High School for the remainder of the week while authorities determined who came in contact with the ill student.

The Renton School District said the infected student is recovering at home.

Hazen High School closed for rest of week after student tests positive for coronavirus

I wouldn’t eat Chinese food if you paid me at the moment and everybody I know is the same. It’s a complete over reaction and we know that but it’s just the way we feel at the moment and we are certainly not alone in that. It started in China so I think it’s just human nature to over think these things at the moment and to avoid things you associate with the disease.
IMO
I don't see any reason to why people should avoid Chinese food in restaurants, as the produce the dishes are made of are from the country where the restaurant is situated. The fear of eating Chinese food outside of China for fear of catching the virus is totally illogical. I don't eat Chinese often, but the reason for me is that I'm a vegetarian and here in Sweden it's not easy to find vegetarian Chinese dishes, the only option is usually some variant of fried rice.

ATLANTA — MARTA announced Tuesday their plans to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Officials said in a statement that tips for preventing the spread of the virus have been distributed to all MARTA employees and distributed at all MARTA facilities. The transit authority will also ramp up cleaning efforts.

"MARTA will continue to thoroughly clean its facilities, rail stations, buses, and trains, with a focus on high touch areas such as handrails, elevator buttons, escalators, and Breeze machines. Antibacterial and antiviral cleaners are used in the clean-up of bodily fluids," MARTA said in a statement.
MARTA announces plans to help stem spread of coronavirus

So people are supposed to be encouraged that they are going to clean with the same level of care as usual? lol

The HIPPA law, regarding limited release of health information, seems to be a moot point.

There is almost zero anonymity now regarding personal health information. A person at work gets the flu, discloses her illness to her supervisor, the next thing, everyone in the office is asked if they had direct contact with "X". And if they did, to leave the office, go directly home to quarantine.

So much for confidentiality.

I don't see any reason to why people should avoid Chinese food in restaurants, as the produce the dishes are made of are from the country where the restaurant is situated. The fear of eating Chinese food outside of China for fear of catching the virus is totally illogical. I don't eat Chinese often, but the reason for me is that I'm a vegetarian and here in Sweden it's not easy to find vegetarian Chinese dishes, the only option is usually some variant of fried rice.

I even said in my post it was not logical but I’m not alone in my thinking here and it’s one of those things.

I went to purchase some isopropyl alcohol At the farmacia this morning. I wasn't sure what to expect and of course they were out. The pharmacy in Italy are so interesting. She did mention that it's been pretty popular purchase. Anyways my son needed it for a science project. Seriously teacher, really.
I live in a city where there is a huge amount of elderly. Today I saw a handful out walking around, buying groceries and they all had this look on their faces. Elderly where they can barely walk. I give them much respect for still moving out and about.

Exactly. And just because someone is Chinese it doesn't mean they must have been anywhere near China recently! I wouldn't have an issue eating Chinese food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia