Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing about Italy and India today.

As for Africa, that’s a whole nother subject...

@otto, Perhaps I misinterpreted your post. I apologize. It just occurred to me you may have been referring the “thumbs up thumbs down” part. Sorry I wasn’t more clear. My point of that observation was to point out the obvious public dissatisfaction with the content of the video. Sorry for the confusion.

Yup, all thumbs. I better watch that! I watch live releases from WHO, checked their definition of a pandemic, and wondered why they didn't announce pandemic when the virus spread human to human in two other countries, then I wondered why WHO didn't announce pandemic when the virus spread human to human on two other continents or WHO regions.

In some sense, we expected that the WHO was a kind of global SWAT team, that they would keep everyone safe. The fact that they are still tip toeing around "pandemic" while thinking they can manipulate economics of tourism, travel, supply chain, and human life is beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
Qantas has had to cancel a flight to London tonight after a passenger with coronavirus was on a recent flight. The airline has cancelled flight QF1 from Sydney while extra cleaning is carried out. Passengers have been moved to the next available flight.

“While Qantas Medical has assessed the risk as extremely low, we are doing some additional cleaning of those aircraft as a precaution,” a Qantas spokesperson said.

The infected passenger arrived in the country on February 28 but Qantas was only told this morning after NSW Health put out the advice around people who were on a flight last week.
Qantas cancels flight to London

Wouldn't it be something if Harry and his wife were trapped in England while their son is alone in a big, cold house on Vancouver Island.

Rsbm/ BBM:
Rsbm The fact that they are still tip toeing around "pandemic" while thinking they can manipulate economics of tourism, travel, supply chain, and human life is beyond comprehension.

I’m not sure what all this means? Could you please elaborate? Tia.

Rsbm
I have been watching this from the beginning. This isn't the only place in the world where people are watching this unfold.

I realize that. I was referring specifically to my earlier comments re: Dr. Tedros and Dr. Mike in the thread here, that you may have missed those, hence not quite understood my “love” comment, lol.

Rsbm
I'm sure there is no popularity ranking of like/dislike associated with global health announcements. That would be bizarre, like shooting the messanger.

Since there are 1.2K thumbs ups, and 1.4K thumbs downs, I’m guessing the thumb downs are for the main reason that they don’t agree with the intentional restraint used by WHO to use the “P” word.

As for that, I doubt the majority of people who gave the thumbs downs has the knowledge and experience that Dr. Tedros and Dr. Mike have, jmo, but everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions. Is it shooting the messenger? I don’t know. But they voted thumbs down for whatever reasons.

Last edited:
Rsbm/ BBM:

I’m not sure what all this means? Could you please elaborate? Tia.

One of the factors regarding epidemic and pandemic announcements is tourism. Restricting travel would have a negative effect on global economies.

By restricting and quarantining cities, even though the virus had spread beyond civic boundaries and throughout the country, it looked like containment. Keeping international border open meant that rich and privileged people with virus were allowed to spread internationally. At this time, it looks like the first places infected people arrived at are Iran, Hong Kong, South Korea, Italy and - who's next, Japan?

Containment meant that each country that received infected people should contain them. As long as there were no human to human transmissions of the virus, they were containing the problem.

Soon enough, WHO announced that all they were doing was buying time. Containment fails again and again.

Open borders was to preserve economy and supply chain, but instead it allowed global infection, which of course led to many people pulling money out of the stock market - equal to economic collapse.

Just trying to figure out the big picture - how did this happen when so many of us could see the decision making flaws from the beginning? It always seemed that WHO had conflict of interest regarding priorities.

I think most people can see that this deadly virus of unknown origin, no insight into cure and spreading globally, is a pandemic, yet the WHO says they need a day to talk about it long after it was out of control.

I suppose we'll have to wait until Thursday to hear what they figured out 3-4 months in.

Bumping the latest links from WHO:

Latest updates /
*note - I am not seeing a transcript for Monday linked (video is bumped upstream a few posts for reference):

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at media briefing on COVID-19 (3 March 2020)

WHO team arrives in Tehran to support the COVID-19 response

UN releases US$15 million to help vulnerable countries battle the spread of the coronavirus

Here is the report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), published as received from the mission, unabridged by WHO

—-

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 3 March 2020
3 March 2020

“Good afternoon, and thank you once again for joining us in person and also online.

Today is my birthday, and I’ve been given a very good gift from DRC, from my own continent Africa. We have now had two weeks without a single reported case of Ebola, and there are currently no patients receiving treatment.

This is very good news not just for me, but for the whole world – I remember how the whole world was worried about Ebola – and especially for the thousands of health workers who have sacrificed so much in the fight against Ebola, and for making sure we’re where we are. But as one epidemic looks like ending, one front of the fight closing, another is becoming increasingly complex.

There is now a total of 90,893 reported cases of COVID-19 globally, and 3110 deaths.

In the past 24 hours, China reported 129 cases, the lowest number of cases since the 20th of January.

Outside China, 1848 cases were reported in 48 countries. 80% of those cases are from just three countries: the Republic of Korea, the Islamic Republic of Iran and Italy.

12 new countries have reported their first cases, and there are now 21 countries with one case.

122 countries have not reported any cases.

The actions these newly-affected countries take today will be the difference between a handful of cases and a larger cluster.

We understand that people are afraid and uncertain. Fear is a natural human response to any threat, especially when it’s a threat we don’t completely understand.

But as we get more data, we are understanding this virus, and the disease it causes, more and more.

This virus is not SARS, it’s not MERS, and it’s not influenza. It is a unique virus with unique characteristics.

Both COVID-19 and influenza cause respiratory disease and spread the same way, via small droplets of fluid from the nose and mouth of someone who is sick.

However, there are some important differences between COVID-19 and influenza.

First, COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far.

With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19.

Evidence from China is that only 1% of reported cases do not have symptoms, and most of those cases develop symptoms within 2 days.

Some countries are looking for cases of COVID-19 using surveillance systems for influenza and other respiratory diseases.

Countries such as China, Ghana, Singapore and elsewhere have found very few cases of COVID-19 among such samples – or no cases at all.

The only way to be sure is by looking for COVID-19 antibodies in large numbers of people, and several countries are now doing those studies. This will give us further insight into the extent of infection in populations over time.

WHO has developed protocols on how these studies should be done, and we encourage all countries to do these studies and share their data.

The second major difference is that COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.

While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.

Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.

Third, we have vaccines and therapeutics for seasonal flu, but at the moment there is no vaccine and no specific treatment for COVID-19. However, clinical trials of therapeutics are now being done, and more than 20 vaccines are in development.

And fourth, we don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu – it’s just not possible. But it is possible for COVID-19. We don’t do contact tracing for seasonal flu – but countries should do it for COVID-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.

To summarize, COVID-19 spreads less efficiently than flu, transmission does not appear to be driven by people who are not sick, it causes more severe illness than flu, there are not yet any vaccines or therapeutics, and it can be contained – which is why we must do everything we can to contain it. That’s why WHO recommends a comprehensive approach.

These differences mean we can’t treat COVID-19 exactly the same way we treat flu.

But there are enough similarities to mean that countries are not starting from scratch. For decades, many countries have invested in building up their systems to detect and respond to influenza.

Because COVID-19 is also a respiratory pathogen, those systems can, should and are being adapted for COVID-19.

But we are concerned that countries’ abilities to respond are being compromised by the severe and increasing disruption to the global supply of personal protective equipment – caused by rising demand, hoarding and misuse.

Shortages are leaving doctors, nurses and other frontline healthcare workers dangerously ill-equipped to care for COVID-19 patients, due to limited access to supplies such as gloves, medical masks, respirators, goggles, face shields, gowns, and aprons.

We can’t stop COVID-19 without protecting our health workers.

Prices of surgical masks have increased six-fold, N95 respirators have more than tripled, and gowns cost twice as much.

Supplies can take months to deliver, market manipulation is widespread, and stocks are often sold to the highest bidder.

WHO has shipped nearly half a million sets of personal protective equipment to 27 countries, but supplies are rapidly depleting.

WHO estimates that each month, 89 million medical masks will be required for the COVID-19 response; 76 million examination gloves, and 1.6 million goggles.

WHO has guidelines on how to rationalize the use of personal protective equipment in health facilities and manage supply chains effectively.

We’re also working with governments, manufacturers and the Pandemic Supply Chain Network to boost production and secure supplies for critically affected and at-risk countries.

Globally, it is estimated that PPE supplies need to be increased by 40 per cent.

We continue to call on manufacturers to urgently increase production to meet this demand and guarantee supplies.

And we have called on governments to develop incentives for manufacturers to ramp up production. This includes easing restrictions on the export and distribution of personal protective equipment and other medical supplies.

Once again, this is a question of solidarity. This cannot be solved by WHO alone, or one industry alone. It requires all of us working together to ensure all countries can protect the people who protect the rest of us.

I thank you.”

Last edited:
Unfortunately the little people don’t matter in this world and it’s all about £££.

That’s what’s so highly frustrating about this entire case as in January all travel should of been stopped to get a hold on it. But nope the world continued to travel and here we are.

It was so super shortsighted as the stock market is still collapsing because of this. So if they had done it in January no matter what money would of still been lost but we wouldn’t be on the verge on a global pandemic.

IMO

Airlines are beefing up measures to protect passengers and staff from coronavirus as the outbreak spreads throughout the world.
Since early this year, the deadly virus has grown from its epicentre in Wuhan, China, to affect every continent except Antarctica.
It means the demand for air travel on air carriers in the Asia-Pacific region is expected to drop by at least 13 per cent this year, amounting to a loss of US$27.8 billion (AUS$42 billion) in revenue, according to a report by the International Air Transport Association.

Instead of growing 4.1 per cent in 2020, as previously forecast, the industry group now expects global air travel demand to drop 0.6 per cent.
https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-news-airlines-qantas-cathay-pacific-singapore-airlines-protecting-passengers-from-outbreak/75a3e5f0-ca7f-43f6-8257-9a436f23d867

Appears what we feared that happened in China is happening in Iran.....

This is what’s going on in Iran amid #coronavirus outbreak. Reminiscent of early days of COVID19 epidemic in China. My friend, a journalist from Iran just translated this video and confirmed the authenticity, I’ll post it shortly. (Video by @HeshmatAlavi)
Heshmat Alavi on Twitter

Video at this link....
Max Howroute▫️ on Twitter

I'd say that's worse than the situation was in Wuhan. We were getting a lot of videos out of Wuhan that had very questionable veracity -- bat soup, someone having an epileptic fit in the street was filmed and that went viral alleging it was someone dying of coronavirus, those little yellow bags that were said to be body bags!

Unfortunately you can tell the Iran video there is real. They've had sanctions for years. They kept the spread of the virus quiet for weeks. They probably haven't been doing much to inform people of what precautions to take, as they didn't want to let anyone know that they had cases. China doesn't/didn't have most of those issues that Iran has :( I don't like the Iranian government, but I don't want their people to suffer :(

I think you’re actually out on a pretty mainstream limb and I agree. I’m sorry you had to deal with cancer so young. I’ve heard for years that overuse of hand sanitizers is a big problem for our immunity, as is the overuse of antibiotics. I don’t use hand sanitizer regularly at all. I do carry a tiny bottle of it in my purse for times when I can’t wash my hands right away. But washing properly is still best, even with COVID-19. I will probably use it a little more often when I’m out and about during this outbreak/epidemic/pandemic...or whatever it ends up being called. But I will go back to my unsanitary ways when it’s over and let the germs fall where they may. :D
Use alcohol based hand sanitizers.

Yep. I went to urgent care the other day (it was not "urgent" lol) to nip a respiratory thing in the bud and was surprised by a prescription of steroids rather than antib's. Not sure that's a great trend either. But I haven't looked into the steroid trend. Maybe you have?
A short (6 days) steroid prescription is very common to be used as it's antiinflammatory, for example after allergic hives or (mild) respiratory infections to help the body fight off inflammation. I work at an emergency department as a secretary, and transcribe case records, and here the common ordination for a patient with hives is 5 mg of a steroid solved in a bit of water + one 10 mg tablet of antihistamines. There are other inflammatory diseases thar requires stronger steroid doses for a longer time, for example arthritis, colitis, inflammations in the blood vessels, and so on.

Here are some points to consider. The first image is the age demographics for people over 70. The second image is the fatality rates in China on Feb 11. There's no reason to think that the fatality rates will be different in China as compared to other countries.

View attachment 235915

View attachment 235916

Another problem is that the US has much higher incidence of things like diabetes than does China, and that's on the list of things that can cause cases to be more severe in individuals and more likely to require hospitalisation.

Australia - sadly a lot of our wonderful Chinese restaurants are feeling the effect of Covid-19 with many suffering from lack of patronage.

“At 1pm on a Tuesday, Dixon Street should be bursting at the seams. Delivery bikes should be picking their way through a tangle of hungry people. There should be heaving tables and queues out the door. It's one of the reasons I avoid taking my kids there at lunchtime on any day, unless I feel I can take on the crowds.

But yesterday it was quiet. Eerily quiet. And empty.

For the first time, the business impact of our current novel coronavirus fears was laid out stark and bare for me to witness.”
'I visited Chinatown to see the effects of the coronavirus panic'
https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/...us-panic/acd6938d-653c-4402-818e-27131f053fb9

I’m about ready to just accept that I’ll probably get it and put my faith in my ability to heal fast, which has been a blessing throughout my life, and hope for the best. And stock up on DayQuil which has gotten me through common colds and bronchitis many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214