Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Finally caught up!!
(though I’m sure I missed a few pages along the way)

This thread has done worn me out today! lol

And I’m with you @margarita25 - this is all starting to feel like a surreal dream/nightmare!!

I think that the fact that most of us on this thread have a solid understanding of the reality that’s heading our way just isn’t realized yet by the majority around us. Every time I step away from this thread for any extended period of time, I find myself having to reaffirm what’s taking place as the majority around me don’t truly realize the scope of what’s on our doorstep.
Now don’t get me wrong, they’re definitely starting to buy up all the toilet paper! But the emotion behind it all hasn’t been much different than preparing for a winter storm.

Ignorance? Denial? I’m not sure... but I do know that the majority of the people in this country are about to find themselves in shock - and more than likely, panic will rapidly follow.

I have to admit though.... I’m still hoping that the majority end up being right and that I can just rejoice in knowing that I’ll have an extremely clean bum for the foreseeable future!

Completely disagree. I'm taking bets. Pm me :)

What if there's no rubbing alcohol, does vodka work? Anything stronger than 60% alcohol level?

Vinegar has always been know for cleaning properties. Is that useful with this virus?

Ok, I went into the liquor store and asked them about this / thanks for reminding me, Otto.

Iirc, loose paraphrase, they said there’s a difference between isopropyl vs. grain alcohol...I was told sanitizer has inactive ingredients in it as well /// I was advised not to pour everclear on my hands lol...That it would really dry them out. Not sure about vodka.

I have severe dry eye atm so can barely post. Note to people out there to add eye drops to your list if you need them. Thankfully I was able to get some eye drops that were on my list.

Last edited:
No kidding. If was just a few days ago that someone was tossing around the word "hoax" to describe the deadly virus with no known origin or cure that is now seeding on the west coast.
No one has ever called the virus itself a "hoax" and it isn't helpful for media or anyone to continue saying that. I realize it's hard to quell fear, but misinformation or reports that have a spin or agenda are just something that everyone, from our leaders and health experts and particularly our media, should work really, really hard on either not doing or correcting quickly when noted.
Heck, even my husband and I did some arguing today, which isn't at all helpful- due to some reporting on the news that turned out to not be completely correct.

Having said that, I do appreciate your many informative posts :)

My husband and I help another couple who are friends to look after an old friend of ours with dementia in an assisted living facility. He has no family, so we all make sure his bills are paid, that he is cared for and that he is doing OK.

Tonight I got an email flyer from the facility that said “We love our visitors, our residents and our team members. Let’s work together to keep everyone healthy.” It went on to list symptoms that should cause visitors to stay away and a sanitation list. It said “48 hours symptom free and we will welcome you back with open arms.” I’m not sure about the 48 hours for COVID-19, but I was pleased they are being proactive. I expect that the same notice is on the main entrance. Fortunately, our friend prefers to stay in his room and have meals delivered, so he has little interaction with anyone but staff and friends who stop by.

Every winter stomach flu hits and the dining room closes. Meals are delivered and the staff works really hard...for low pay. I hope COVID-19 stays away, even though we have people in isolation being monitored in our county.

I'm gonna go out on another unpopular limb here and say the scourge of our current health issues is the overuse of hand sanitizer/germicides. I've never ever used them. Neither have my kids. You can't develop immunity without exposure. None of my kids have been seriously ill or to the doctor since they had to for shots and baby illnesses. And I had cancer as a teenager but have never been seriously ill since then. They may be marginally useful in the case of a new virus, but overall a HUGE detriment imo.

The scourge might be that antibiotics were overused in the 1980s until warnings of antibiotic over-use to treat viruses (rather than bacteria) was leading to stronger viruses. It was warned that eventually viruses would become too strong for antibiotics. Are we there yet?

The scourge might be that antibiotics were overused in the 1980s until warnings of antibiotic over-use to treat viruses (rather than bacteria) was leading to stronger viruses. It was warned that eventually viruses would become too strong for antibiotics. Are we there yet?

Maybe another separate scourge? I agree. We also don't take antibiotics in my family unless we absolutely must (like twice in their lifetimes). But now realize that doesn't necessarily help us since the viruses have mutated by OTHERS' overuse of antibiotics. So the antibiotics will be just as ineffective on us as they are on the overusers. Gah!

I'm gonna go out on another unpopular limb here and say the scourge of our current health issues is the overuse of hand sanitizer/germicides. I've never ever used them. Neither have my kids. You can't develop immunity without exposure. None of my kids have been seriously ill or to the doctor since they had to for shots and baby illnesses. And I had cancer as a teenager but have never been seriously ill since then. They may be marginally useful in the case of a new virus, but overall a HUGE detriment imo.

I think you’re actually out on a pretty mainstream limb and I agree. I’m sorry you had to deal with cancer so young. I’ve heard for years that overuse of hand sanitizers is a big problem for our immunity, as is the overuse of antibiotics. I don’t use hand sanitizer regularly at all. I do carry a tiny bottle of it in my purse for times when I can’t wash my hands right away. But washing properly is still best, even with COVID-19. I will probably use it a little more often when I’m out and about during this outbreak/epidemic/pandemic...or whatever it ends up being called. But I will go back to my unsanitary ways when it’s over and let the germs fall where they may. :D

We’re in the Portland area and we’ve been down with the flu (luckily mild due to healthy immune systems and flu shots!) We had a coronavirus scare through my work over the weekend.

I’m scared to even go into the stores for supplies. I guess it’s a good thing they’ve been warning us about the Big Quake forever and we do have some reserves.

This may be the only time I wish I was part of two former Kauai residents’ clan. :)

Maybe another separate scourge? I agree. We also don't take antibiotics in my family unless we absolutely must (like twice in their lifetimes). But now realize that doesn't necessarily help us since the viruses have mutated by OTHERS' ';'overuse of antibiotics. So the antibiotics will be just as ineffective on us as they are on the overusers. Gah!

That's the norm today - antibiotics are only prescribed for diagnosed bacterial infection. In the early 1980s, doctors prescribed antibiotics to every child who had a cough. That is, antibiotics were recklessly prescribed for the common cold. By the late 1980s, routine antibiotic use was discouraged because it had the potential to lead to the "super bug." It's likely that it was already too late when antibiotics for the common cold was stopped.

That's the norm today - antibiotics are only prescribed for diagnosed bacterial infection. In the early 1980s, doctors prescribed antibiotics to every child who had a cough. That is, antibiotics were recklessly prescribed for the common cold. By the late 1980s, routine antibiotic use was discouraged because it had the potential to lead to the "super bug." It's likely that it was already too late when antibiotics for the common cold was stopped.

Yep. I went to urgent care the other day (it was not "urgent" lol) to nip a respiratory thing in the bud and was surprised by a prescription of steroids rather than antib's. Not sure that's a great trend either. But I haven't looked into the steroid trend. Maybe you have?

Yep. I went to urgent care the other day (it was not "urgent" lol) to nip a respiratory thing in the bud and was surprised by a prescription of steroids rather than antib's. Not sure that's a great trend either. But I haven't looked into the steroid trend. Maybe you have?

I’m not sure it’s a trend exactly, but steroids seem to be used more often IMO. When used judiciously they really can help inflammation, whether in the lungs or joints. But they can make you hungry and cranky. :p:mad:

I sent my son some Oz toilet paper memes as soon as he woke up, checking in to see if he was stocking up for "the big one."

Good to hear that respirators will be available in hospitals for the up to 20% who may require hospital care. I'm thinking that in a pandemic, it's probably best to have family sprawled across the planet to ensure optimal familial survival. I'm confident that he will be okay in Melbourne.

Appreciate the Australia updates!

Thanks Otto, I wasn’t sure about contributing much on this thread but even though we’re way “down under “ we’re not obsolete:DUs Aussies share many commonalities in the world including crime and Covid (unfortunately) and as long as I’m receiving feedback I’ll keep finding the most appropriate news to post. No more toilet paper though, I’m over that one:p

The hypochondriac thing? Perhaps the common cold, a bit of fear, and an expectation that the doctor do something?

Never fear, the virus is near, and I think it qualifies as the superbug viral infection that defies all antibiotics. Its' always been said that there's no cure for the common cold - gotta ride it out.

Perhaps that was a mistake.

I’m not sure it’s a trend exactly, but steroids seem to be used more often IMO. When used judiciously they really can help inflammation, whether in the lungs or joints. But they can make you hungry and cranky. :p:mad:

They actually did make me hungry. However, a salad would do and that is NOT normally the case lol. So maybe steroids are the answer for me? I have a huge inexplicable hearing loss, so I got one steroid protocol as a test remedy for that a month ago, and another for the upper respiratory symptoms just a day ago. Tbh, I was just like give me whatever it takes for me to feel good enough to work all day and fix dinner :)

How interesting! My son had a very, very nasty cold and he finally gave in and went to doctor's office. He, too, was prescribed oral steroids and was told if no improvement, he would be given ABX. I'd never heard of that and was wary. He did end up absolutely needing antibiotics several days later( stubborn sinus infection), and still has a cough :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway