Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too!! I got an Amazon package about an hour ago and all I could think of was @Herat ’s ?....wait I think it was @Hatfield’s ) hilarious post the other day (hazmat suit and a “quick two toots” on the blow-horn to alert neighbors of the all-clear...).

My order that arrived was the hand cream @LaborDayRN recommended :D:D
Oh what did you get? I call my UPS man Santa!

OMG!!!!!

#BREAKING #California governor says Grand Princess cruise ship being held off the coast as a number of passengers and crew members have developed symptoms. Test kits will be flown to the ship.
COVID19 on Twitter

Governor said "thousands" of people are on board. The ship has a maximum capacity of 3,750 (2,600 passengers, 1,150 crew members)

A proportion of the patients under 60 in the big Chinese study must have had asthma, presumably higher than the fatality rate for their age group. If a person with asthma can survive pneumonia, then surely they can survive this?

I know asthmatics must be a high risk group, and I also have asthma, but in younger people that probably means more likely to need oxygen support than death? imho.

Yes. I hope so too! To clarify, the doctor wasn’t being alarmist. She just answered a specifically posed question. Very calmly. I don’t think she was saying people with asthma can’t survive.

I know. Shall we start a list?

Amazon and other boxes.
Our mail. Think how many have handled it!
Bags of potatoes or any food or store items that have been handled by anyone! Everything?!! :eek:
Our purse/handbag/briefcase that we have set down anywhere!
Receipts.
Cash.

I give up! Let the germs fall where they may. Bring it on! :D
I thought of one today. As I came home, after sitting in a few public places, I didn't want the seat of my pants on any of my furniture. I've always been like Mr. Rogers in that I usually change my clothes into "inside" clothes that are different than my "outside" clothes when I get home. I've always done that for comfort but today it just felt cleaner (whether it's real or imagined cleanliness).

jmo

Yesterday someone posted the Nurse Unity's letter to the WH. DH directed me to the physicians, et al letter. Since you must sign in to Medscape to see the article, I have copied it.

"Open Letter to Pence Seeks Science-Based COVID-19 Response
Alicia Ault

March 03, 2020

Almost 700 clinicians, public health, legal, and ethical experts have signed on to an open letter outlining to Vice President Mike Pence and other federal, state, and local health leaders what they believe are necessary and appropriate steps to ensure that the response to the novel coronavirus is handled in a scientific and humane fashion.

Mandatory quarantines are likely not the answer, especially given that evidence now exists that the virus is transmitted in its presymptomatic or early symptomatic stages, they write. Voluntary quarantines, social distancing, and compliance with public health instructions will become more important, which, in turn, brings up a host of other issues.

"Whether individuals can comply will be determined by the degree of support provided, particularly for low-wage workers and other vulnerable communities," the letter writers say.

The six-page letter — addressed to Vice President Mike Pence, who is leading the White House coronavirus response team, and to federal, state, and local health leaders — was put together by clinicians, researchers, and legal experts at Yale, Harvard, Northeastern, and Temple University, along with representatives from health and human rights organizations such as the American Public Health Association.

It includes multiple recommendations, from ensuring adequate funding and resources, to proper protection for both healthcare workers and patients, to the need to "manage public fear" with honest, clear, evidence-based communication.

"People feel very, very strongly that the response to coronavirus in the US needs to be based in science and human rights principles," said Gregg Gonsalves, PhD, assistant professor of epidemiology at Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut. "We wanted to make sure that was appreciated by people at the federal, state and local levels," he told Medscape Medical News.

Among the other recommendations in the letter: "Science needs to guide messaging to the public, and no government official should make misleading or unfounded statements, nor pressure others to do so."

"There's some sense that the administration wants to keep a lid on information about the extent of the epidemic, and about any missteps," Gonsalves said.

And, he added, withholding information "just makes things worse," because the public does not know whom or what to trust.

"Open, transparent information sharing is really important," Gonsalves said. "You're not going to handle the epidemic like a political crisis; you're going to handle the epidemic like an epidemic."

"Best Public Health Advice"
The letter calls for an influx of new government funding to ensure that health and safety net programs are not cannibalized, and also urges special protections for health facilities and health workers. That includes giving workers adequate protective equipment, reasonable respite, and protection from discrimination that might arise due to their work with infected patients.

Prisons, nursing homes, and other institutions with congregate living also need to take special preventive measures to protect against rapid spread, the letter states.

It also says that health facilities should be immigration enforcement-free zones, so that those who are potentially infected are not discouraged from seeking care.

The letter calls on employers and governments to provide incentives — including making up for lost compensation — as motivation. It may be without precedent in the United States, but the government of Hong Kong has set aside $10 billion in its current budget to offer permanent residents $1280 each to cover the financial fallout of the coronavirus, according to a Financial Times report.

Gonsalves and colleagues are also recommending that insurers be required to minimize out-of-pocket costs, including copays and out-of-network fees, to ensure that people aren't dissuaded from seeking care.

One state has already taken that step. New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo (D) announced that his administration is requiring insurers in the state to waive cost-sharing associated with testing for novel coronavirus including emergency room, urgent care, and office visits. Medicaid recipients also will not have copays for any testing related to COVID-19."

Yes to all of this. Proud of the Empire State.

I thought of one today. As I came home, after sitting in a few public places, I didn't want the seat of my pants on any of my furniture. I've always been like Mr. Rogers in that I usually change my clothes into "inside" clothes that are different than my "outside" clothes when I get home. I've always done that for comfort but today it just felt cleaner (whether it's real or imagined cleanliness).

jmo
I've always done that even before the corona virus. I use public transportation and I don't even want to think what I sat on.

I’ve seen some Twitter posts from Kings County, WA that say age 60+, people with compromised immune systems and PREGNANT women should be in isolation.
Why are they adding pregnant women to this? I’ve never seen this before. My daughter is a nurse (oncology) and 6 months pregnan. I’m scared for her now.

US doesn't have enough masks if pandemic hits. They don't even have enough for medical personnel. I think that has a lot more with the advice given to the general public than the idea that these masks don't work.

I think that's probably part of it. But I think maybe another way of saying it is that it's primarily that the efficacy of masks varies according to the situation, so as there isn't an unlimited supply, they do need to priorities the higher efficacy usage rather than have people using lots of masks in low efficacy situations where there's such little benefit compared to the cost.

As there are a limited number, I think it's the right thing for them to suggest leaving them for the times and situations where they can be more effective and make a life/death difference. If there were a trillion masks in existence, ready to go today, and they cost a penny for a thousand, then it would be fine if we all wore them even in tiny or zero efficacy situations...but that isn't the current reality.

So I think they're being honest that they are best saved for the higher risk/higher efficacy situations.

I am 60, my husband is 80. My husband has COPD, CHF, and a myriad of other health issues.

We look at this virus, as just part of life. At age 80, he knows that he is going to die, whether in the next few years or whatever. There is no question about "if", it is "when" and "how". Death is not something to fear, at that age. He would actually prefer a quick case of flu, and pneumonia. Rather than a stroke, or cancer, and lengthy nursing home stay until the inevitable occurs.

At age 60, if I get the flu, who knows? But I am more worried about being hit by someone driving when I am riding my bike. But I haven't gotten rid of my bike. And I am not going to lock myself up in the house for fear of flu.

That’s my mom’s attitude. Good for you. I have a lot of fear about this at this point but what you say make sense. I can’t control this. Or whether I get hit by a car and die. But living in fear isn’t living for me.

So I’m trying to find a rational balance.

Heh, you clearly aren't my long-lost sibling, as my mother Lysol-wipes everyone's soles and the wheels on my luggage every time that I pay them a visit... didn't someone used to sell a surface disinfecting spray that wasn't poisonous? I remember companies advertising it to go inside refrigerators, crisper drawers, etc.

I haven't heard of this cleaner before. Does anyone know the name of it and is it still available? Thank you in advance/

I’ve seen some Twitter posts from Kings County, WA that say age 60+, people with compromised immune systems and PREGNANT women should be in isolation.
Why are they adding pregnant women to this? I’ve never seen this before. My daughter is a nurse (oncology) and 6 months pregnan. I’m scared for her now.
I watched the presser.....they don't have any evidence but thought to be careful....just in case.

US doesn't have enough masks if pandemic hits. They don't even have enough for medical personnel. I think that has a lot more with the advice given to the general public than the idea that these masks don't work.

I don’t know. My doctor was very certain that they wouldn’t work. She said the droplets are too fine.

Me too!! I got an Amazon package about an hour ago and all I could think of was @Herat ’s ?....wait I think it was @Hatfield’s ) hilarious post the other day (hazmat suit and a “quick two toots” on the blow-horn to alert neighbors of the all-clear...).

My order that arrived was the hand cream @LaborDayRN recommended :D:D
I hope you like it @MJPeony ! A little goes a long way!

OMG!!!!!

#BREAKING #California governor says Grand Princess cruise ship being held off the coast as a number of passengers and crew members have developed symptoms. Test kits will be flown to the ship.
COVID19 on Twitter

Governor said "thousands" of people are on board. The ship has a maximum capacity of 3,750 (2,600 passengers, 1,150 crew members)

They need to get them off there, pronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member