Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thinks it's a little bit of everthing up here in Canada.

From toilet paper hoarding at Costco
People are hoarding supplies as COVID-19 spreads – but why? And is it useful? An expert weighs in

My Mom' medical PSWs are not concerned at all, as their attention is focused on the flu outbreak at local nursing homes.

My slightly neurotic neighbour is socially isolating himself from all things Chinese, including his brother and SIL and nephew, who live in 'the city'.

Renewed my Mom's prescriptions, as per usual, and discussed future supply and availability with the pharmacist, no anticipated issues with supply.

Every time someone says the word “toilet paper” you have to drink. :D

Seriously though, thanks for the responses. I find the whole thing very interesting, the differences in people’s reactions and interpretations....

I also like that we get to talk about our favorite snacks and lotions. How often do we get to that in other threads? Never! Those posts would normally get deleted faster than we can blink lol.

Is this new? Can't recall as thread moves so fast. Was yesterday, but I missed. So sharing.

"Local Health Emergency declares in Los Angeles County"

ETA: 6 new cases, to set up preparations. It's just a short clip, I would delete, but will leave up.

Never in my life have I seen so many press conferences, sometimes multiple a day via various outlets. Just sayin.

Usually we’re begging for PCs. Here I can barely keep up with all of them. It’s a good thing.

This thread is unique in sooo many ways.

Goodnight zzzzzz. Night shift clocking out.

ETA / Hey @dixiegirl1035

: offftobed:

(old WS emoji of cute guy walking away with a pillow emoji lol, that’s was a good one too.)

Last edited:
I’m not on SM, but have been wondering “what it’s like out there” generally atm. How concerned are people overall in your opinions? Do we in here represent a unique group of being overly prepared and concerned people, or are there a lot of others who are as concerned as us, talking about supplies, etc.? Is there a lack of concern by many who are stuck on this “ it’s just the flu” mentality? Perhaps concern is evolving as more cases are diagnosed? Perhaps it varies in different regions? Are there people arguing as usual, insulting each other? It’s it mad out there? Total chaos? Is there a whole bunch of misinformation floating around as usual? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. Again, please just give a general assessment on this without bringing over anything from SM, so as to not violate TOS.

My parents here in New Jersey are no longer around. In a way, thank goodness, I don't need to worry about them. In the last years of their lives, each of them were in and out of hospitals, emergency rooms, and short-care facilities for various underlying conditions where I had to worry about sepsis, cannot imagine worrying about CV now.

On the other hand, my 90 year old father-in-law, who is still going strong, and his lady friend, still plan on going on a 2 week cruise in April through the Caribbean ... but that's because he listens to Trump who says, well, you know what he says but it's what he doesn't say that is concerning.

My oldest millennial daughter has a trip planned to Italy in June to distribute the ashes of her husband's grandmother. She insists that they are only going to "southern Italy" so they are safe, besides, they are in their upper 20s and the virus is only affecting "old people with underlying issues, already with one foot out the door and that the flu kills more people every season." My response: Oh, like me and Dad?!? (Thanks Trump for brainwashing her).

My youngest millennial daughter, who backpacked around the world and has now settled in NYC, says she loves the cleaner (bleached) subways, is not worried about the virus affecting her at her age, and at one time was drooling over the reduced airfares around the world (OMG, Mom, $200 round-trip flights to Morocco!!). She just now booked a business trip to Los Angeles at the end of the month, so jumping on a plane at this moment means nothing to her.

Last edited:
Scary to think about shutting down all domestic travel in the US. Would put airlines such as Frontier, Spirit, Southwest possibly out of business. In my group we would lose our jobs immediately once domestic travel stops. And who would be hiring during this time period? IDK
It's certainly a balancing act. No one wants to be exposed to the virus (or to get sick). No one wants to have anyone lose wages or go out of business. Tricky stuff. Personally, fwiw, I don't know the absolute right thing to do.

I would be at risk of losing money as well if my school district closed. I retired from teaching and am currently a substitute there. No work - no pay. But my health is certainly worth more to me than extra $$. I do have other sources of income however, where many probably would not. It's scary and sad at the same time.

Not sure about any of you guys, but it seems that I’m a hypochondriac from hell.

I keep feeling my forehead, face and neck for a fever (with very clean hands of course :D ).

:drama:

I didn’t buy a thermometer and now I’m thinking I should get one, if anything to quell my own anxiety LOL.

(ETA: @dixiegirl1035, you were talking the other day about missing all the old emojis here...I miss that “drama” emoji LOL.

You know what other old emoji I really miss? “ :lookingitup: “...that was the cute guy with glasses behind the desk typing, iirc. He might have even had coffee lol.)

I'm not an actual diagnosed hypochondriac. ;) But health anxiety is huge for me. It's huge because I've had a lot of very real diagnosed health issues and very rare ones as well. So yeah I'm definitely worried about this. I had a cold recently and didn't seriously consider that I might have had it.

But last night I got an email letting me know that someone in our homeschool co-op also goes to the co-op with the kid with COVID-19. That's not helping me relax!

So many similarities on my end, as I mentioned previously. A few of my peers are starting to come around though I think.

Re: “There is a total disconnect as to what is about to happen. The only people who are more concerned than us are doctors and scientists.....and probably Washington New York, and California now”, good way of putting it and I totally agree with this, as far as my own assessments (minus the one guy who is stocking up on guns and ammunition).

I did see one lady with a cart full of tuna cans and about 20 packages of maxi pads though. Either there was a great sale, she has fibroids and excessive bleeding, or she was the only other one in the store shopping for “coronavirus supplies”. I anticipate this to change here shortly. I asked the lady at the store if they’ve had a lot of “Coronavirus shoppers”...she said “not yet” and gave me a dreaded look.

Hey, I just thought of a new name for CVS: “Corona Virus Supplies”.
Or maybe she was practicing to get on the extreme couponing show? Or coaches HS girls sports? Or, like my brother-in-law, has 17 kids from MS thru college years? Good grief that’s a lot of pads.

(Dear mod, please delete if not allowed)

Question for those watching all this on SM in the US (no specific SM rumors or content references please per TOS):

I’m not on SM, but have been wondering “what it’s like out there” generally atm. How concerned are people overall in your opinions? Do we in here represent a unique group of being overly prepared and concerned people, or are there a lot of others who are as concerned as us, talking about supplies, etc.? Is there a lack of concern by many who are stuck on this “ it’s just the flu” mentality? Perhaps concern is evolving as more cases are diagnosed? Perhaps it varies in different regions? Are there people arguing as usual, insulting each other? It’s it mad out there? Total chaos? Is there a whole bunch of misinformation floating around as usual? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. Again, please just give a general assessment on this without bringing over anything from SM, so as to not violate TOS.
In my area, all stores are out of hand sanitizer, and running low on cleaning supplies. I have chatted with some customers in line at stores, and many seem to be mostly concerned about getting hand sanitizer. Most people whom I have spoken with, seem to be unconcerned about the virus. My sons school had sent home a pamphlet about having hand sanitizer at the door, and in each classroom. Yesterday, I asked him about it, and he said there isn't any available, and there have been no changes.

I have done two posts on FB about it. Only two folks commented, yet I see others on FB are saying it's media inflammatory and no big deal. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, y'all read what happened last night in a previous post as to friends of mine and their understanding. I've come to the conclusion and the old adage that folks that don't want to be educated are just not going to listen and dismiss you and turn you off UNTIL it affects them. That's the state of things, and then when it does affect them, they will NOT understand what we know here.

Oh well, as someone else said upthread, perhaps we are all wrong and they are all right and it's nothing and will go away.

I'm not going to speak much about it until someone asks or brings it up as it's so divisive it seems.
The posts I see from friends and acquaintances mostly make light of it, posting jokes and memes. I suppose though, that fear often causes that reaction. I have reached out privately to family members and at least have gotten more of a concerned reaction that way. Still not as concerned as I believe they should be.

That's fine with me. We can follow along these two and post updates from their YT channel. We allowed the Abel's, and Ben, and some of Chen Qiushi, the original "citizen journalist".

BTW - Chen Qiushi has still not resurfaced and the youtube channel I was following for updates was taken down by the Chinese government.

Ty for the update,
It's a wait and see situation.

Never in my life have I seen so many press conferences, sometimes multiple a day via various outlets. Just sayin.

Usually we’re begging for PCs. Here I can barely keep up with all of them. It’s a good thing.

This thread is unique in sooo many ways.

Goodnight zzzzzz. Night shift clocking out.
Yes press conferences are good IF new information is shared and IF our local or national leaders provide adequate, informed leadership.

Here in Fl. there is still misinformation being stated by our Governor- low risk, testing is going just fine, no problems, don't panic, etc.
When an Orlando reporter stated she had been trying for 2 days to get a couple answers from
the Gov., he said go ahead, ask. So she said,
"First, can you tell us what impact the virus will
have on Tourism in Florida?", The Governor
gave her a snide glance, turned and walked away. End of questions.

I see no response on Facebook. I put post on my page and no one responds. There is a total disconnect as to what is about to happen. The only people who are more concerned than us are doctors and scientists.....and probably Washington New York, and California now. Under 40 group is the worst.
Snipped

With my NY friend group on FB, the virus is NOT a topic at all. It's not a topic in face-to-face conversations, either. I don't know any prepper types and I am not a prepper either (I have added to my pantry, but not a big change at all....just sort of brought it up to speed in general). I see nothing on my FB about the virus.

On Twitter, the only time I see posts about the virus are when I follow a hashtag specifically about it. Then, the posts are usually links to articles or press conferences or disdain over the chaos regarding hoarding (rightly so - that really is dumb).

I'm not seeing anything political, or poo-poo'ing, or prepping in SM timelines. One local community group posted a request not to attend gathering if you are sick (and that got criticized as being discriminatory, but I don't think the person criticizing realized the request was about the virus).

I do see people in real life changing behavior - no handshakes, using sanitizer - but no conversation about it. So, there is awareness without obsession or fear, which I think is a healthy approach. (And who knows what they are doing privately. My IRL and SM friends don't know I am on WS, ykwim?)

My daughter said her college sent an email to all students about the virus. I asked her what it said, and she said, "I don't know. I didn't read it." Sigh. My kid!!

jmo

Thank God.....you take care.....worrying fo you.

Thank you. I'm worried about a family member who lives in Pierce County, but commutes to King County on the bus for work. They have an immune system disorder, and I think I'm going to have to break my own rule about giving advice to grown ups and suggest they stay home. Ugh.

Mr. Stew is really in the middle of it. I have mentioned before he is an administrator for a large health care provider that places patients in skilled nursing facilities, including nursing homes in King County. Nursing homes who will accept any patient right now are the exception. They are scrambling to find placement for patients who don't have any COVID symptoms, they just need skilled nursing for other various ailments. This is causing the hospitals to become crowded with people who really need to be discharged to skilled nursing facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState