Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“At a Congressional hearing last week, Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, said that the coronavirus “is like the angel of death for older individuals,” The Associated Press reported.”

Interesting. I wonder how this will affect the election, given that the candidates are all "older individuals".

My brother is a nursing professor. He tells me that the Sacramento area has no test kits available at all.

As in they ran out already? They used to not have the capability, but that changed:

“California health officials say they’ve dispensed enough COVID-19 testing kits for 1,200 people. Those kits have been distributed to county public health labs across the state, including one in Sacramento.”

Sacramento County Is Testing For Coronavirus, But Officials Say Kit Shortage, Federal Approval Present Challenges
Wednesday, March 4, 2020

—-

It seems this was the case back in February:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article240740661.html

“In a memo on Wednesday, UC Davis Medical Center officials appeared to point a finger at the CDC for delaying testing the woman. When the patient was admitted to the hospital, the UC Davis team asked public health officials if the case could be coronavirus and requested testing by the CDC, they said. Neither Sacramento County nor California Department of Public Health is doing testing for coronavirus at this time, they noted.”

Last edited:
Wow! Even though the patient from Solano County was treated at U.C. Davis Medical Center in Sacramento? What does your brother think of the unavailability of test kits?
And they had UCDavis students quarantining themselves right down the road -- guess those students never got tested, just waited to see if they developed symptoms?

The symptoms just aren't black and white enough for them to be the only diagnostic, IMO -- I mean I have a runny nose pretty much all winter every winter, and as a post-menopausal woman I would go crazy trying to assess whether I had a fever or not! I also have reflux that sometimes manifests as a throat that feels swollen -- does that count as "trouble breathing"?

As I try to decide whether to go visit my mom in Santa Clara County in three weeks, part of my concern is how to know how much to isolate myself when I return. Not being able to get tested means I need to rely on vague (to me) symptoms that could just as easily be a cold or even allergies...

Surprising Michigan and Ohio don't have cases....maybe not testing? We have people from MI and OH on the thread - any updates on testing?
In Ohio 9 have been tested through CDC. We got the test kits today at 2PM. On a previous thread I mentioned an electrical contractor came in for supplies for a COVID-19 response office in our county. Since this was not public knowledge, I assume there are more being set up behind the scenes that we aren't aware of.

@firebird, one last comment because I ran out of time on the above post. It must be stated for the record that Dr. Tedros has stated he is especially concerned about the countries with weaker healthcare systems. The US and other nations have much better systems in comparison to some others, but this does not mean that their healthcare will not be overrun or overwhelmed by this. The countries whose healthcare systems have already been overrun are not all nations with weak healthcare systems. The only way this won’t happen is if the cases miraculously start ceasing to increase, which I think is evident from the rest of the world this is not going to happen.

Jmo.

Last edited:
Latest information from China and South Korea

The National Health Commission said 44 new Covid-19 cases had been reported by the end of Saturday – all from the epicentre of Wuhan except for three imported cases, of which two were in Beijing and one in Gansu in the northwest.

No new infections were reported in the rest of Hubei province outside Wuhan, its capital. There were 27 new deaths, all in Hubei, as mainland China’s total reported cases reached 80,695, with 3,097 deaths.

Meanwhile, South Korea reported a further 367 cases, mostly from Daegu city, bringing its total infections to 7,134, according to Yonhap news agency.

Coronavirus: 4 dead in Chinese quarantine collapse, as Italy starts lockdown

Source: South China Morning Post.

4 Fatalities at collapsed quarantine hotel, over 30 still trapped

China’s emergency ministry said at least four people had been killed at a hotel used as a
coronavirus quarantine centre that collapsed on Saturday evening with about 80 people inside.

It said 38 others had been rescued as of 10.30am on Sunday, with one in critical condition and four seriously injured. Nine had earlier escaped.

Oh the terrible irony. To be quarantined for CV and then have the building collapse and kill you instead.

4 Fatalities at collapsed quarantine hotel, over 30 still trapped

China’s emergency ministry said at least four people had been killed at a hotel used as a
coronavirus quarantine centre that collapsed on Saturday evening with about 80 people inside.

It said 38 others had been rescued as of 10.30am on Sunday, with one in critical condition and four seriously injured. Nine had earlier escaped.

“US Vice-President Mike Pence said senior citizens with underlying health conditions should avoid activities such as cruises as more new cases were reported in the United States, including a US Marine based in Washington.”

some people really are crazy, this customer according to the article saw this lady behind them and its all they bought aldi is the only place without a restriction on buying toilet paper in australia right now

its so bad even online deliveries through supermarkets which normally have same day or within an hour delivery services have no deliveries slots for a week right now

iv heard its getting to similar levels in the UK and the USA right now as well due to this corona virus

there is also security guards guarding toilet paper at supermarkerts throughout australia from today as well due to fights happening in store over the last packs of toilet paper including people being arrested and charged with affray offences

ESLLaz-UUAI3-oI

No one quite understands this story from northern CA. The town of Rocklin is in Placer County 22 miles away from Sacramento in Sacramento County. So why were these deputies acting outside of their jurisdiction?

Police-enforced quarantine hits Calif. residential block after man’s coronavirus death

"ROCKLIN, Calif. (KMAX/KOVR/CNN) - Sacramento County Sheriff deputies and Rocklin Police, some wearing protective gloves, converged on a residential street Thursday as a sheriff’s helicopter circled overhead, ordering people to get inside. ..."

:confused:

My initial reaction was that this seems a bit hysterical... except look at Italy, South Korea, the 70 of 180 employees of the Kirkland, WA nursing home.

THANKS EVERYONE HERE FOR THE UPDATES, ANECDOTES AND OPINIONS. Please do continue - how is it where you are?

Last edited:
some people really are crazy, this customer according to the article saw this lady behind them and its all they bought aldi is the only place without a restriction on buying toilet paper in australia right now

its so bad even online deliveries through supermarkets which normally have same day or within an hour delivery services have no deliveries slots for a week right now

iv heard its getting to similar levels in the UK and the USA right now as well due to this corona virus

there is also security guards guarding toilet paper at supermarkerts throughout australia from today as well due to fights happening in store over the last packs of toilet paper including people being arrested and charged with affray offences

ESLLaz-UUAI3-oI

Make sure you post a link to this photo for copywrite purposes. Websleuths rules. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove