Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not worried about the US economy. The interruption of the supply chain from China will bring jobs back to the US. Corporate profits have been at record highs for the last decade or longer. Higher wages in the working class will bring greater consumer demand, as workers have money to spend on buying a newer car, furniture, etc. U.S. consumer spending is 70% of our economy, so anything that stimulates it (jobs coming back from the China, etc. is good. Lower oil prices are always good, helping keep inflation down. The only folks getting "spooked" by these developments are the very wealthy investors. JMO

The difficulty is in keeping things going during an extended period of time as we wait for a vaccine and better containment of disease. The investments in health care infrastructure our government makes in this effort has long term benefits.

Yeah but what makes us think that this will cause corporations to decide to bring back production to the US? There are so many countries where they can pay slave wages and turn out tons of product.

The days of American corporations putting American jobs and Americans ahead of profit went out a few decades ago.

WHO presser has started over 2 hours late.

In the future, they will now only have Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Now that virus has foothold, threat of a pandemic has become very real. But is the first potential pandemic that be controlled... the decisions that we all make.... can influence the trajectory..epidemics at local level

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. the director general, says the world “is not at the mercy” of the virus.

He says with decisive, early action the spread of the virus can be slowed.

Most people with the virus will recover, he says, pointing to China where he says 70% have recovered.

Tedros also highlights that 93% of cases are from four countries.

Closing schools and cancelling mass gatherings in countries can be considered in countries where the virus is rife, he says.

Coronavirus live updates: fourth death confirmed in UK, as head of New York's airports tests positive

New York court bars certain visitors

The Southern District of New York is banning visitors who have recently traveled to specific countries from the courthouse.

The ban applies to....
  • People who have visited to China, South Korea, Japan, Italy and Iran in the last 14 days
  • Others who have had contact in the past two weeks with those who have traveled to those areas
  • Anyone who has been asked to self-quarantine
  • Anyone diagnosed with COVID-19
There is no expiration for the order.

Anyone attempting to enter in violation of the order will be denied entry by a court security officer.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases increase across the world - CNN

But how do they implement that? There’s no gates. People can just come in by taxi or train. Or car.

whyyyyy are they letting people leave? 90 percent of the swedes who have it now were in italy 2 weeks ago for spring break! sweden's cases are exponentially growing daily. this is outrageous. i will just say, i saw on twitter earlier a man (video footage) who has been living with his sister's dead body for 24 hours in northern italy (quarantine zone) bc no one will come and pick up her body. she was NOT elderly, either. i'm trying really hard not to panic. i'm an american living in sweden. i'm so scared of being last on the list if i needed help in a quarantine situation. it's really difficult to know how to explain this to my kid, too. i don't want to scare him, but i want him to have enough knowledge to go about his daily life more "carefully." yikes! this SUCKS. :(

Its like no matter how diligent we are in our own preparations, all we have to do is be in the presence of one sniffling sneezer from Italy or Disney or a cruise and we are screwed...seems the selfish of the world outnumber us greatly...it won't happen to me and who cares about anybody else. I paid for this is apparently a holy mantra

I am sure they will be able to re-arrest these 70,000 prisoners again no problem. . How many rapists, murderers and paedophiles have they released? Insanity!
It seems as it's only prisoners with a sentence of less than five years that are releases on bail, no "security prisoners" sentenced to more than five years are to be released. I wonder how many of the released prisoners are jailed for political reasons? It seems as it's possible that the British-Iranian charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe may be released: Iran frees 54,000 prisoners to combat coronavirus

The days of American corporations putting American jobs and Americans ahead of profit went out a few decades ago.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but the economy should be fine right?
It survived when the bankers were bailed out in 2008.
In the next coming years, we will probably bail them out again and no one will face jail time. Also if it comes down to true emergency, we can cut the nearly 1 trillion a year in military spending in half and use that for infrustructure rebuilding, if the Two Teams can agree on something. If China spends $170 billion and Russia spends $79 billion and they are considered are biggest enemies (Which i disagree with) then even if we cut our spending in half, we still have enough for defense for those who worry about such things.

Looks like a live stream of the Grand Princess, schedule to dock at Oakland. (Just footage of a ship on the water at the moment.)

Canada has announced that Canadians should immediately cancel all cruise vacations. When the 237 Canadians on the ship touch land, they will be tested for the virus. Those who are sick will be treated in Oakland, Canada is sending a plane to transport the rest to 14 day quarantine in Ontario. USA government asked Canada to transport Canadians from ship to Canada - I'm guessing that Canada clarified that people who test positive will be left behind.

New York's Fordham University cancels in-person classes

... as of 1 p.m. ET amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The university, with three campuses in New York — including its main one in the Bronx — said in a statement that in-person classes were cancelled "until further notice."

Residential students were "encouraged to return home immediately," but one dining hall will stay open at the school's Bronx and Lincoln Center campuses for those students who cannot.

Coronavirus updates live: World markets tumble as anxiety grows in D.C.

Montgomery County now has five presumed positive cases of coronavirus
Another Montgomery County resident has a presumed positive case of coronavirus, the Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Monday.

Pennsylvania now has seven presumptive positive cases of the virus, with five in Montgomery County, one in Delaware County and one in Wayne County.

The affected individual, an adult, is in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, the department said in a release. They tested presumptive positive for coronavirus “after known international exposure,” the release said.

Philly-area manufacturers worry coronavirus panic could cause harm; Penn cancels Wharton China summit

Georgia identifies state park for isolating coronavirus patients

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced that out of an abundance of caution the state has identified Hard Labor Creek State Park in Morgan County as a location for isolating and monitoring patients who may have been exposed to coronavirus.

The state park is located about an hour east of downtown Atlanta.

No patients are currently scheduled to be transferred to this location.

State officials are currently preparing the site for the placement of future patients having already delivered and installed seven emergency trailers.

St Patrick's Day parade in Dublin cancelled

The St Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin has been cancelled over fears about coronavirus.

The new Cabinet sub-committee on Covid-19 made the decision following advice from the National Public Health Emergency Team, the PA news agency understands.

It comes after Cork City cancelled its St Patrick’s Day parade. Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is to brief the media this afternoon after he met with political party leaders.

Coronavirus updates - all you need to know as world battles killer outbreak

Wow they are taking this crisis very seriously.

Asked about use/or lack of it of the word pandemic, Dr Michael Ryan, from the WHO, says that countries like Singapore and China have “demonstrated real success in turning the disease around”.

Tedros adds: Whether it’s pandemic or not, the rule of the game is the same, never give up.

Ryan says a number of countries have imposed restrictions on import of personal protective equipment. He describes such “hoarding”, preventing material reaching those who need, it as something we’d like to avoid.

Our most exposed workers to this virus at the moment are frontline healthcare workers.

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove says transmission in health facilities has not been a major driver of the spread of the virus.

Ryan says: It’s difficult to build a global picture in real time when you’re not receiving real-time data from everyone.

Tedros says only a handful of countries have signs of sustained community transmission.

We must all take heart from that.

Of the four countries with the most cases, China is bringing its outbreak under control and there is also a decline in new cases in South Korea, he says.

The rule of the game is never give up.

Tedros praises Italy’s aggressive measures.

Let hope be the antidote to fear. Let solidarity be the antidote to blame.

Coronavirus live updates: fourth death confirmed in UK, as head of New York's airports tests positive

I too am not able to comprehend how slow the US test rollout still is.

CDC originally made faulty test kits- ok, got it. Embarrassing but ok.

But that was WEEKS ago. What, a month now? The hold up is incomprehensible to me.

And the state labs- ok, we had to go through some government red tape to get state labs to test. Got it. But it’s been WEEKS.

I’m embarrassed, and bewildered. I can find no reasonable excuse for the full picture of where the US is at this point.

MOO.

Me either...unless it is perhaps a lack of human resources, ie not enough folks who know how to do this stuff? even then come right out and say it...it makes me soooo angry how they phrase things to us...but then our fellow citizens seem to just want to hear what they want to hear, the truth is just too ugly and messy

University of Tennessee scientists use supercomputer, may have found coronavirus cure
''Two researchers the University of Tennessee in Knoxville have discovered a chemical compound that, if it passes more testing, could be the cure to stop coronavirus and prevent it from spreading.

According to WATE-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee, the two researchers have been working on the possible cure by using the "world's most powerful computer" through a partnership between the University of Tennessee and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).

The computer, known as 'Summit', works as fast as 100,000 laptops at the same time.

“It’s capable of doing calculations very, very, quickly. The response to the new coronavirus needs to be quick,” said Jeremy Smith, Director of the Center for Molecular Biophysics.''

Really? Wow!! I LOVE science! This is what our government needs to be advocating and funding. ASAP.

Last edited:
New York's Fordham University cancels in-person classes

... as of 1 p.m. ET amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The university, with three campuses in New York — including its main one in the Bronx — said in a statement that in-person classes were cancelled "until further notice."

Residential students were "encouraged to return home immediately," but one dining hall will stay open at the school's Bronx and Lincoln Center campuses for those students who cannot.

That will be a problem for international students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pey