Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The novel coronavirus is shed in the feces of infected people, which may help explain why it’s spread so fast, according to Chinese researchers.

The finding of live virus particles in stool specimens indicates a fecal-oral route for coronavirus, which may be why it’s caused outbreaks on cruise ships with an intensity often seen with gastro-causing norovirus, which also spreads along that pathway. More than 600 Covid-19 infections were confirmed among passengers and crew aboard the Diamond Princess, the ship quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan.

Coronavirus’s rapid spread may be due to fecal-oral transmission

The novel coronavirus is shed in the feces of infected people, which may help explain why it’s spread so fast, according to Chinese researchers.

The finding of live virus particles in stool specimens indicates a fecal-oral route for coronavirus, which may be why it’s caused outbreaks on cruise ships with an intensity often seen with gastro-causing norovirus, which also spreads along that pathway. More than 600 Covid-19 infections were confirmed among passengers and crew aboard the Diamond Princess, the ship quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan.

Coronavirus’s rapid spread may be due to fecal-oral transmission

Oh God, not this again. :eek:

(Magz officially faints)

—-
ETA: @Hatfield pass the buttmask!

—-

ETA2: this is messed up, man. Mooooo

Last edited:
It should be first known CV19 patient. Probably lots of people are walking around and don't know they have it. And US is barely testing. Thus allowing it to spread everywhere.
Exactly. Plus, if not really sick, it is best to avoid going to the doctor, imo. No better place to catch something.

My concern in my area is few seem to be concerned or think CV19 is dangerous. Some want to politicize it, some think a China engineered it, some think it is a farce and some have not heard of it......
And some think if they have clean hands they are not at risk. I don’t care how clean my hands are, if someone is coughing at me, I risk being infected with something.

Wow. Please look for Jason Van Schoor’s twitter account. I can’t link here. But it’s more in depth than other doctor’s accounts of what’s happening in Italy, I think.

Wow! The description he posts from a doctor in Italy is chilling. That doctor reminds us that Italy is not a third world country and has excellent health care. We’re in big trouble here. :(

That sounds absolutely horrifying, but Italy reportedly only has 9,000 cases. Are their hospitals really have such small capacity that they are not even treating a lot of these patients?

But Italy has more MD's and hospital beds per capita than the US. Problem is the surge, as we all know is the issue.

RSBM
I feel so blessed to have chickens on any given day because their antics make me smile, but I am especially grateful now because they can feed us and my parents (eggs only here as they are also beloved pets) indefinitely.
I miss our days of having chickens. I now have a bird of a different kind. An African Grey. And two retired racing Greyhounds. They're wonderful companions! My fur and feathered babies!

But Italy has more MD's and hospital beds per capita than the US. Problem is the surge, as we all know is the issue.
Out of 9,000 cases, most shouldn't even require hospitalization, or so we have been told. How such a relatively small number of cases caused such an enormous surge that they can't even treat sick patients? Especially considering numbers from the flu should be so much larger because infection is so much more widespread.

Ahhh! It makes me feel like it’s 1) best not to get it at all, 2) better to get it first in order to get a bed.
I hated writing that. I hate thinking that. I’m going to bed and tune out for now.

Does anyone here know how soon a test would register positive after exposure? If someone has been exposed, and is with or without symptoms, do they have to wait a certain length of time to be tested so the test would be valid?

All I can say is it all comes back to the thirty days in the hole. This is what everybody just needs to do moo but of course how realistic is that? It’s impossible moo.

But I don’t know about you guys, I’m taking (as stated earlier):

Reference in progress
Mods Please allow full editing time

Does anyone here know how soon a test would register positive after exposure? If someone has been exposed, and is with or without symptoms, do they have to wait a certain length of time to be tested so the test would be valid?

Wow what a brilliant question.

Dr. Mike? Dr. Maria? Dr. Fauci? Dr. Nancy? Dr. @dixiegirl1035?

I’ve missed Dr. Mike all week, grrr so behind

Last edited:
I've tried to find the answer but so far nothing. I'll keep looking.........

Coronavirus UK LIVE: Chief medic warns Brits with only minor symptoms will soon have to self isolate after fifth death
  • Updated: 10 Mar 2020, 2:44
  • ''The government is bulk-buying bodybags as coronavirus cases soar and the fifth UK death was confirmed today.

In a secret memo leaked to The Sun it was revealed how heavy duty clinical waste bags and containers are also among the list of products for bulk storage.

The confidential memo came as the Government advised the public there is “no need” for stockpiling.''

Again I ask, since it is spreading in Australia, and it is currently summer in Australia, why should we have any expectation that warm weather will have a slowing effect on this virus?
The temp in Melbourne, Australia is only supposed to get to 70 today. There are a few days later in the week showing a projected temp at about 80. I think, historically, we’ve seen respiratory viruses tend to die out over hot summer months, but I don’t consider 70-80 degrees to be “hot”. Of course, I’m from Texas. So summer here will be 100+ degrees. Daily. For weeks on end. Most respiratory viruses don’t continue circulating at the same rates once the Texas heat hits us. Perhaps this is part of why the “summer” there isn’t having quite the same impact?
This is a very good question. Articles are saying it takes on average 5 days for symptoms to show up. Much like being pregnant, I’m sure there is a time period between contracting the disease and testing positive for the disease. It would do no good to pee on a stick to detect a pregnancy that occurred last night or even a few days ago. The most sensitive tests will pick up a decent percentage within 7-10 days, but you’re very much pregnant even during that time frame that tests would be expected to come back negative.

Testing too soon after exposure is just wasting a test IMO. We don’t have the capacity to run enough tests (manpower, facilities, test kits) prematurely. I’m sure scientists also don’t really know just how quickly a test will come up positive. We don’t have enough data to draw any reasonable conclusions. My guess is it would be prudent to, at a minimum, wait for the onset of mild symptoms unless there is known exposure.

Out of 9,000 cases, most shouldn't even require hospitalization, or so we have been told. How such a relatively small number of cases caused such an enormous surge that they can't even treat sick patients? Especially considering numbers from the flu should be so much larger because infection is so much more widespread.

It's all about ventilators. There's no country in the world with enough ventilators on hand to handle a truly massive surge of any respiratory illness. Handling full hospitals is one thing, but handling full hospitals with many patients needing ventilators, that becomes a real problem due to their expense, availability and need for intensive staffing.

Also the widespread panic leads to people seeking medical attention for cold/flu symptoms when they normally wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha