Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of 9,000 cases, most shouldn't even require hospitalization, or so we have been told. How such a relatively small number of cases caused such an enormous surge that they can't even treat sick patients? Especially considering numbers from the flu should be so much larger because infection is so much more widespread.

People of all ages can need medical care. Those with pre-existing conditions who are older have a lower chance of survival - thus the higher mortality rater for people over 60.

"One in seven patients develops difficulty breathing and other severe complications, while 6% become critical.

The progression from mild or moderate to severe can occur “very, very quickly,” said Bruce Aylward, a WHO assistant director-general who co-led a mission in China that reviewed data from 56,000 cases.

About 10-15% of mild-to-moderate patients progress to severe and of those, 15-20% progress to critical. "​

Coronavirus symptoms can progress from moderate to severe 'very, very quickly'

If there are 7000 active cases, 1000 patients develop lung problems.

Italy seems to be having a pretty high death rate. Not sure why, but sounds like hospitals are overwhelmed and patients are not getting care they need.

This stuff is so contagious as heck, moo.

Dr. LW...it all goes back to Doc LW, I feel sick thinking about it...

@Tadpole12 any news on CQ or FB? Tia. I know you check every day. Tia.

Coronavirus patients say they had no idea they were ill
rbbm
''TORONTO -- Some COVID-19 patients say they experienced ‘extremely mild’ symptoms before testing positive for the novel coronavirus, raising concerns that the virus is being spread by some who don’t realize they’re infected.
For Dr. Miryam Carecchio, a neurologist in Padua, Italy, discovering she was infected, came as a shock.''
“I had no fever, no cold, no sore throat, and I had no major issues,” she told CTV National News.

The assistant professor at the University of Padua did experience muscle pain in February, she said, so she took some Tylenol, called in sick, and was back to work the following day.

She later experienced changes, including a loss of taste in her mouth, but didn’t think the symptoms were extreme enough to be linked to the COVID-19 outbreak.

“I didn’t feel any of my very minor complaints were consistent with this infection,” she said.

The 37 year old says she was tested – “by chance” at the hospital -because she was not ill, had not travelled to a high risk area, and didn’t fit the criteria for testing. Last Thursday she got the news she was positive and had to be quarantined until March 20, her birthday.

“I was surprised,” she said. “I was a bit scared, I must say.”

More than 100 of her contacts were tested for infection, three of which tested positive. They are now all in isolation with what Dr. Carecchio says are mild symptoms''

Yep, there are some people from Diamond Princess that tested positive but had no symptoms. One guy spend a month in Nebraska hospital with no symptoms and they let him go home and quarantine there because he is still testing positive. I am assuming people like this can become "super spreaders" because they don't even know they are sick, so they go out and infect others.

Debbie Downer moment here...I don’t think I can take the anxiety of this anymore. It saps the energy right out of me. Everybody (hubby, two grown daughters think I’m being a nutter) my husband travels (air) on to the east coast for the week and comes home on most weekends. So I worry that he could get it, and we could then infect our granddaughter, and daughter who is due in May. He has diabetes, I’ve been through hell with breast cancer and have HBP, pre diabetes, etc.
I’m usually a fighter, but tonight I feel very defeated.

Debbie Downer moment here...I don’t think I can take the anxiety of this anymore. It saps the energy right out of me. Everybody (hubby, two grown daughters think I’m being a nutter) my husband travels (air) on to the east coast for the week and comes home on most weekends. So I worry that he could get it, and we could then infect our granddaughter, and daughter who is due in May. He has diabetes, I’ve been through hell with breast cancer and have HBP, pre diabetes, etc.

hugs

Thank y0u both!

This seems to be the relevant section, at the very end:

A serological test is advantageous because it can detect antibodies even if a patient has recovered, whereas a PCR test can detect the virus only if the person is currently sick. However, both tests might miss cases if samples are taken too early, when the viral load is too low or if the person's body hasn't produced antibodies against the virus yet, Adalja said.

For the serologic test, it can take about a week before the body produces ample antibodies, although "as we get more serologic tests, there will be guidance on what timeframes are needed to do a serologic test on [COVID-19]," Adalja said.
BBM

Testing too soon after exposure is just wasting a test IMO. We don’t have the capacity to run enough tests (manpower, facilities, test kits) prematurely. I’m sure scientists also don’t really know just how quickly a test will come up positive. We don’t have enough data to draw any reasonable conclusions. My guess is it would be prudent to, at a minimum, wait for the onset of mild symptoms unless there is known exposure.

So it seems that we just don’t know yet. What prompted my question was when a reporter asked VP Pence if the President had been tested (because of his contact with Collins and Gaetz wh0 were exposed). It seemed to me to be a little soon to test him, and later this evening the answer was “No.”

I have my own business and love it. I have several clients in the medical field, emergency room drs in our busiest hospitals, cdc people...I carry alcohol on a spray bottle with me and use it often but if the virus lingers in the air...
I will not stop working, people depend on me. But when I think too much late at night..kinda scary.

(((((((( @Midgie2 ))))))))). I think this is a stressful situation for all of us. Sometimes I have to turn away from my computer and do something else. Maybe watch some silly TV show that makes me laugh. I think a constant, steady diet of the CV news is very difficult on our psyche. Try something that will distract you from the current state of affairs.

HMM... interesting!

Outbreaks and Pandemics

"For this reason, the United States has stockpiled mechanical ventilators in strategically located warehouses for use in public health emergencies, such as an influenza pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) manages this Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) and has plans for rapid deployment to states during critical events."

Stockpiling Ventilators for Influenza Pandemics

Thank y0u both!

This seems to be the relevant section, at the very end:

A serological test is advantageous because it can detect antibodies even if a patient has recovered, whereas a PCR test can detect the virus only if the person is currently sick. However, both tests might miss cases if samples are taken too early, when the viral load is too low or if the person's body hasn't produced antibodies against the virus yet, Adalja said.

For the serologic test, it can take about a week before the body produces ample antibodies, although "as we get more serologic tests, there will be guidance on what timeframes are needed to do a serologic test on [COVID-19]," Adalja said.
BBM

So it seems that we just don’t know yet. What prompted my question was when a reporter asked VP Pence if the President had been tested (because of his contact with Collins and Gaetz wh0 were exposed). It seemed to me to be a little soon to test him, and later this evening the answer was “No.”
Thanks Lilibet! I totally missed that. I must be tired.

I have my own business and love it. I have several clients in the medical field, emergency room drs in our busiest hospitals, cdc people...I carry alcohol on a spray bottle with me and use it often but if the virus lingers in the air...
I will not stop working, people depend on me. But when I think too much late at night..kinda scary.
I feel the same way. I will stop if I become symptomatic but otherwise......it's my job to be there for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha