Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding Italy has older population, and they are also hugging and kissing as a form of greeting? Whereas Koreans are wearing masks (which supposedly don't help, but I think that's baloney).

I was being facetious! I hope everyone knows! But yes. They kiss as a form of greeting and that could be an issue. Asians bow more often. Big difference. And the age of the population is also an issue of course.

Sharing a very important tweet re: Italy:

Jason Van Schoor
@jasonvanschoor
·
From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lombardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.|

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger patients with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panic

2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.

4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.
13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.
Sharing a very important tweet re: Italy:

Jason Van Schoor
@jasonvanschoor
·
From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lombardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.|

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger patients with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panic

2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.

4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.
13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

I’m not overly religious, but I’ve been praying someone will come up with medicines to combat this virus from killing so many.

Last edited:
According to a google search, Chinese often do not use tolite paper because their plumbing and pipes are so old.
Many public tolites do not supply tolite paper at all because it plugs up their pipes.
So, I now get it. Theyre used to going without tolite paper.
Which obviously, explains the fecal to oral transmit.
I guess I'm not too shocked, here in California the homeless for the most part, don't either.

The novel coronavirus is shed in the feces of infected people, which may help explain why it’s spread so fast, according to Chinese researchers.

The finding of live virus particles in stool specimens indicates a fecal-oral route for coronavirus, which may be why it’s caused outbreaks on cruise ships with an intensity often seen with gastro-causing norovirus, which also spreads along that pathway. More than 600 Covid-19 infections were confirmed among passengers and crew aboard the Diamond Princess, the ship quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan.

Coronavirus’s rapid spread may be due to fecal-oral transmission

I was being facetious! I hope everyone knows! But yes. They kiss as a form of greeting and that could be an issue. Asians bow more often. Big difference. And the age of the population is also an issue of course.

These are the current stats. South Korea has kept the death rate low, it's a bit out of control in Italy. Maybe the difference is that S. Korea was addressing the situation as soon as China had an epidemic, whereas Italy was hit all at once, almost overnight.

upload_2020-3-9_23-37-14.png

S. Korea had cases on Feb 5. They were already treating cases and expecting an epidemic in early Feb, whereas Italy did not expect to be the EU hotspot. Italy was caught off guard by a quick surge in cases, which probably contributes to the higher death rate.

upload_2020-3-9_23-40-41.png

This is (again) what I think everybody just needs to take right now:

—-

Doc T voice:
“We can help stop the spread”..

Mooooo

College campuses, sporting events, it’s already started (thankfully), but like I said nobody cares up here moooooooo , yet.

Hopefully people’s bosses will be cool...everyone has to pay the bills but what is like to note is the individual containment and mitigations in place are like the different provinces of China.

For China it was “Hubei” (and Guangdong, etc.),

I ran out of time for reference on this post / sorry Mods / Qmfr / Sorry about that I’m seemingly a hypochondriac from hell and having chest pain but that wouldn’t be the first time here! (Thai Cave thread for reference )

Looking forward to see what DRASTIC RELIEF Plan might happen tomorrow.

One of my big fears is catching this when it’s steamrolled through my region and there aren’t enough respirators or doctors/nurses and I’m just left to die because there’s literally nothing that can be done and they need to ration care for healthier people. That would be so scary.

But frankly, my biggest concern is what my loved ones would do without me. If I didn’t have family who need me as much as they do, and my fur babies, I wouldn’t care as much. I have too many loved ones who count on me and couldn’t survive well without me. That’s what terrifies me about dying.

One of my big fears is catching this when it’s steamrolled through my region and there aren’t enough respirators or doctors/nurses and I’m just left to die because there’s literally nothing that can be done and they need to ration care for healthier people. That would be so scary.

But frankly, my biggest concern is what my loved ones would do without me. If I didn’t have family who need me as much as they do, and my fur babies, I wouldn’t care as much. I have too many loved ones who count on me and couldn’t survive well without me. That’s what terrifies me about dying.

Make a Plan B.

Imo with Denver having unknown origin, Uber and Lyft are going to play a huge role in the spread, as may public transport, we talked about this early on. Again, goes back to the Wuhan taxi video from hell, right @dotr? Thanks for finding that.

Last edited:
People who are disembarking from the cruise are all jumbled together to be processed for quarantine - easy viral transmission. The last people off the ship are international passengers, like Canadians. The ship will not be allowed to stay at the port. That's surprising. Where is it suppose to go? I wonder why there isn't a sanitization plan in place. If some of the crew are sick, what happens if the ship doesn't make it to another port?

Thank you Henry2326!
I have a daughter that lives in Clemson. We just spoke this afternoon and she said that the town had plenty of hand sanitizer and toilet paper. She just told me when she saw this news she better go get some,
This is all so surreal. Glad I have followed you posters here, this has been such valuable discussions and linked information.
JMO

I feel like it’s some dystopian nightmare unfolding before us.

I feel like it’s some dystopian nightmare unfolding before us.

Girl, holding your hand with a glove on.

From one “sustained” to another.

I’m convinced I’ve been exposed, seems we all are going to be at some point. Moo

Not feeling well but it could be anxiety.

:violins:

(That was a great emoji @dixiegirl1035 , the violins!! :D

Last edited:
Countries that do not yet have any cases should close their borders immediately. Italy has declared a quarantine in the entire country. No one is allowed in, no one allowed out, everyone told to stay in their houses.

It's like Italy has resigned the country to the virus taking its course. They'll do their best to keep sick people alive, but it's better if they can prevent people from getting sick. If it's like China, it will take 3-4 months for the virus to die out - run out of hosts.

Israel is requiring 2 week quarantine for everyone who enters the country.

In fact, every country should close borders immediately. That is the last option to contain cases in countries with low numbers. If borders remain open, I think that every country will eventually have an overwhelmed health system.

Countries that do not yet have any cases should close their borders immediately. Italy has declared a quarantine in the entire country. No one is allowed in, no one allowed out, everyone told to stay in their houses.

It's like Italy has resigned the country to the virus taking its course. They'll do their best to keep sick people alive, but it's better if they can prevent people from getting sick. If it's like China, it will take 3-4 months for the virus to die out - run out of hosts.

Israel is requiring 2 week quarantine for everyone who enters the country.

In fact, every country should close borders immediately. That is the last option to contain cases in countries with low numbers. If borders remain open, I think that every country will eventually have an overwhelmed health system.

The US is so big I think we’d have to do that state by state.

I have a 9 year old grandson who has no one in this world but me,, It scares me too, but all we can do is be cautious and pray. I have to live another 8 years in order to die without the fear of who will take care of him. Its all up to God, Ia suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member