Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The total number of ventilators available in the entire US is roughly 60k including stockpiles. Assuming (and this is a BAD assumption) we have the staff and supplies to effectively run all 60k vents AND assuming (a 100% bad assumption) that not one single soul in the US is already on a vent for any other reason whatsoever, we simply cannot mechanically ventilate the sheer volume of patients that would need it if this thing spreads too quickly.

We must slow it down. We won’t stop it, but we must slow it down. Otherwise, people will absolutely die that would have otherwise survived if we had been able to take care of them. This includes people who will die of other things like car accidents because if the vents are all in use... what happens then?

^^^^THIS ^^^^

1000 Times!!!

^^^THIS ^^^

Mitigation IS THE ONLY ANSWER RIGHT NOW!

And this is the reason that NOW is the critical time for mass testing!! If we are to have any chance of balancing the critical care load, any chance to NOT OVERWHELM OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM, we need to have the ability to test anyone and everyone AND FOR ANY REASON!!!

IMO - this is very OBVIOUS, so why are we not yet there? South Korea is leading the way in testing - some lessons are best learned by observing others!!!

The world may not yet know the “BEST METHOD” for fighting COVID-19, but we have seen and do know what doesn’t work....

So why are we still following the method that will most certainly lead to implosion?

To see SUCH A SMALL WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY BEING SQUANDERED AWAY is both frustrating & infuriating.

IMO - no matter how this outbreak is handled going forward, the actions (or rather, the lack of actions) taken thus far, have been insufficient, and will lead to medical shortages in several areas of the country.

I know I sound like a broken record in regards to mitigation, but I can’t stress enough just how much I believe that SLOWING THIS VIRAL OUTBREAK DOWN is the key to saving countless lives!!! We MUST BUY TIME to consider any pending outcome SUCCESSFUL in ANY WAY!!!

We’re only a matter of weeks away from the realization that this critical time period is gone - and all that follows will be based on hindsight.
Too little, Too late....

This is not an alarmist statement, but rather a realistic one. The ENEMY is with us, but WE CAN NOT FIGHT THAT WHICH WE DON’T SEE!!! We can not see the battlefront without vigilant testing.....

IT’S NOW OR NEVER!!!

MOO.....

***Ugh***

There are not enough excess ICU beds in any country to cover that kind of increase every day....
------------------------------

Numbers from Italy (via Alex Friedrich): >1000 admission in 24 hours, with 10% needing intensive care. Schocking. Those in Europe luckey enough to still have some time before being there, should use it to get ready.
Andreas Voss on Twitter

There are not enough excess ICU beds in any country to cover that kind of increase every day....
------------------------------

Numbers from Italy (via Alex Friedrich): >1000 admission in 24 hours, with 10% needing intensive care. Schocking. Those in Europe luckey enough to still have some time before being there, should use it to get ready.
Andreas Voss on Twitter
China build makeshift hospitals.

'Coronavirus is not your fault' says health expert

Scotland's national clinical director, Jason Leitch, has said that nobody is to blame for having the coronavirus.

Speaking to the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme, Mr Leitch said: "Coronavirus is not your fault, nobody's to blame if you get sick - just like nobody's to blame if you get a cold".

He added: "You shouldn't draw looks at people, or create a stigma around it".

FAIRFIELD, Calif. - Two buses and a van with about 150 people total arrived at Travis Air Force Base Monday night. The busloads of Grand Princess cruise ship evacuees, possibly exposed to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19, pulled in to the base after 8 p.m. where they will be quarantined for the next two weeks.

About 1,000 people aboard the cruise ship, which docked in Oakland on Monday, are from California. Those who don’t have symptoms of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) were taken to either Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield or Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego.

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spokesperson at Travis AFB said at least one of three buses standing by at the Port of Oakland was waiting to take Canadian passengers aboard the ship to Oakland International Airport.

For those on Travis AFB, they will be housed at the Westwind Inn, which is located at the military base as well as at a collection of family apartments that are nearby. Their temperatures will be taken twice daily. If symptoms develop, they will be transferred off base to a civilian hospital.

This is the same hotel that was used for quarantine for the past month and a half for American evacuees from Wuhan, China and then from a Princess cruise ship in Japan. The last 140 people from that quarantine were cleared a week ago. While those people have all returned home, the Westwind Inn was not turned back over to Travis AFB from the CDC.

COVID-19: Busloads of cruise ship evacuees arrive at Travis Air Force Base for quarantine | KTVU FOX 2

'Coronavirus is not your fault' says health expert

Scotland's national clinical director, Jason Leitch, has said that nobody is to blame for having the coronavirus.

Speaking to the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme, Mr Leitch said: "Coronavirus is not your fault, nobody's to blame if you get sick - just like nobody's to blame if you get a cold".

He added: "You shouldn't draw looks at people, or create a stigma around it".
Well, you shouldn't draw looks from people because you should be sitting inside somewhere if you have Covid rather than mingling.

Sharing a very important tweet re: Italy:

Jason Van Schoor
@jasonvanschoor
·
From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lombardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.|

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger patients with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panic

2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.

4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.
13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

No words.....

Just wow...

I just have to say how much I appreciate this community in times like these. When I was stressing out over Hurricane Dorian, while it was literally hitting my house, while I was dealing with the aftermath of it all- you guys were all here for me to listen to my rants and to calm my nerves. And now this. I don't know of anywhere else I can go on the internet where people are so kind and respectful, caring, and helpful. This has become my number one go-to place for information and to feel like I'm a part of something bigger and better than just myself. Everyone in my "real life" tells me I'm making too much of a big deal of this...tells me that I'm crazy for stocking up on supplies...going so far as to mock me for being a "doomsday prepper" but to me to be informed is to be prepared...and to have people from all over the world all in one place contributing to putting all this information right here...and all the personal anecdotes from people who "get it"...thank you.

Well, you shouldn't draw looks from people because you should be sitting inside somewhere if you have Covid rather than mingling.

Near me a local woman is being vilified on SM for having it, despite nearly dying & also presenting at the hospital/doctor 4X, only to be turned away three X. Everyone knows her name, as she’s from a small town & worked in the WMT. People seem to forget, she contracted it from someone that remains unknown.

I’m so pissed, I went to WMT early this a.m. for three things, after making my purchase I stepped into the ladies room to wash my hands. Not one but two women exited stalls & never washed their hands......
Of course one man was zealously picking his nose as he strolled the aisles. Really? What the hell is wrong with people?

This stuff is so contagious as heck, moo.

Dr. LW...it all goes back to Doc LW, I feel sick thinking about it...

@Tadpole12 any news on CQ or FB? Tia. I know you check every day. Tia.

I can't find anything about them and it's been a week past the 14 days of quarantine, as they were said to be released March 2?
Their phones would have been examined and their contacts silenced as well?

Dave is still positive. It points out he has been well for some time, yet still positive for the virus. This has so many implications as to the future spread of the virus in how long it is viable after folks feel well or after two double tests (assume it is? did they culture it and grow it in their virology lab, or are they nasal remnants that are non-infective as they are finding in some folks nasal and stool samples) I would hate that they are not testing the same sample for actual virus.

If you don't want to go to the stores, before ordering online, please check with the stores close to you to see if they will deliver. That way you can still support your local businesses. Our local pet store is happy to deliver food, litter, etc. and maybe yours is too.

jmo
Another thing is, I understand that with HyVee grocery stores you can order ahead online and schedule a pick-up. Some of my busy friends do this. They order online and then pull up to the store at the appointed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member