Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You betcha! We all recognize perhaps the statements made in between long diatribes that he does that sound soooooooooooo familiar with defense attorneys speak here iykwim.

They are definitely giving reassurances etc. Heck, even MSM and stock market folks are saying that the infection rate is going down...yeah.. no problem here folks... and these media folks aren't aware that the numbers aren't being submitted? Those at the WHO meetings DO know... your local station may not, but those that are at the meeting and calling in know for sure...but even they are tiptoeing on it.

I will say... I do believe that it is now a concerted effort to #1 contain, and #2, to not let the financial/economic markets collapse.

That would be catastrophic and I think all understand the repercussions of such..and are "letting it slide" as perhaps only folks that read here at WS know that the numbers are no longer being reported? They are handling the health emergency, so they don't wanna get to the place where "what happens next week with folks not going back to work etc and economy/global supply chain". Heck, not having a quarantine in Wuhan/when will it end wasn't even asked.. which I thought would have been. Media is kids gloves right now in the WHO meeting. I did note also he didn't say a meeting tomorrow which he usually does at the end...did anyone else catch that?

Truly, do you read ANYWHERE that talks about such change in definition/not reporting cases in MSM other than the question being asked to WHO, and WHO not giving them ANY chance at a "clip" to use for such. He drones on and never answers for a clip to be used in the media to answer.

Do you know ANYONE in RL other than folks here at WS who know that China stopped reporting any of the provinces that were individually reporting 3 days ago.

Rhetorical question... I will assume the answer for everyone is No to both above questions.
No and No.......thanks to you and all for education.....

Imo, I knew if they found a vaccine right away that this was a bio attack on china. I believe they had a vaccine all along before releasing virus in China. I am not a conspiracy theorist but that's what I thought last week when thinking about it. I'd like to see who has stock in that co.

From the news article
Here's Why Inovia Pharmaceuticals and Vir Biotechnology Shares Have Fallen Today
Feb 3 2020

"Now What
The bigger issue for Inovia and Vir is how long the clinical process could end up taking and whether the outbreak will peter out before the companies will get their treatments to market."

I guess that depends on what you want. Right now this huge communist country has all the data, cases, and based on medstudies info, produce most of our drugs. To develop a vaccine and to keep up with the mutation, we need info. We can wait for a third world country to be decimated or the WHO can suck up a bit and get the info we need.

I'm cheering for the WHO.....

I am afraid I don’t cheer for anybody that goes along with lying and keeping the public from the truth.

IMO

Bingo!!!

It’s ridiculous that WHO are even playing this game. We deserve the truth here and to hell with China and their half truths.

MOO

I totally get what you are saying. WHO should be more unbiased here. China holds a lot of cards though not just in pharmaceuticals. I wonder how this is going to play out. Trump keeps pandering to them talking about what an amazing job they are doing and how much we trust them....while we simultaneously cut off flights to and from.

I wonder how stupid a choice it's going to end up being China trying to force people to return to work? They are in a bad position...control an epidemic or try and not totally crash their economy and cause a spiral of crashing around the world.

And then others are in a race to control the rights to treat this new virus which has the potential to make an insane amount of money for some pharmaceutical company out there. I don't trust those people either. LOL But I've probably already made that abundantly clear in this thread. I don't trust a lot of people.

I would imagine that most of the evacuees from Wuhan were already self-isolating and not going to work or school for 14 days before they got evacuated, therefore they already had a lower chance of arriving infected.
True, but the virus had already exploded in China/Wuhan by early-mid January. Even if the evacuees holed up for a while before being evacuated, surely more would have been exposed already. It’s just so bizarre to me. I’m so glad nearly all of them have tested negative.

The odds are weird IMO. I’d have thought the #s would more closely resemble the outbreak #s from the country/cities they had been visiting.

JMO.

You betcha! We all recognize perhaps the statements made in between long diatribes that he does that sound soooooooooooo familiar with defense attorneys speak here iykwim.

They are definitely giving reassurances etc. Heck, even MSM and stock market folks are saying that the infection rate is going down...yeah.. no problem here folks... and these media folks aren't aware that the numbers aren't being submitted? Those at the WHO meetings DO know... your local station may not, but those that are at the meeting and calling in know for sure...but even they are tiptoeing on it.

I will say... I do believe that it is now a concerted effort to #1 contain, and #2, to not let the financial/economic markets collapse.

That would be catastrophic and I think all understand the repercussions of such..and are "letting it slide" as perhaps only folks that read here at WS know that the numbers are no longer being reported? They are handling the health emergency, so they don't wanna get to the place where "what happens next week with folks not going back to work etc and economy/global supply chain". Heck, not having a quarantine in Wuhan/when will it end wasn't even asked.. which I thought would have been. Media is kids gloves right now in the WHO meeting. I did note also he didn't say a meeting tomorrow which he usually does at the end...did anyone else catch that?

Truly, do you read ANYWHERE that talks about such change in definition/not reporting cases in MSM other than the question being asked to WHO, and WHO not giving them ANY chance at a "clip" to use for such. He drones on and never answers for a clip to be used in the media to answer.

Do you know ANYONE in RL other than folks here at WS who know that China stopped reporting any of the provinces that were individually reporting 3 days ago.

Rhetorical question... I will assume the answer for everyone is No to both above questions.

My online social feed is silent. Mostly people do not seem to care about the situation at all. I have a handful of people with the slightest interest in talking about it and one is Chinese American with family quarantined in China. I saw her bring up some of this in another group online and she even had people call her a fear-mongerer. I guess WHO are fear-mongerers too even though they are downplaying a lot of what's going on like the lack of counting in China. And it's fearmongering to say you have family quarantined and who you can not even send money to because all their banks are closed.

I brought the market up a while back on a previous thread and was told America was going to be just fine. We can just start all the manufacturing over here quickly. (I sincerely hope that's true but am skeptical) The more I read though the more convinced I am that if this is not contained it is going to be even worse than I guessed financially. I mean I did NOT know that almost all the meds and equipment we need to address a pandemic is manufactured in China and supplies are clearly short. How quickly does it take for us to start manufacturing antibiotics, syringes, masks, antivirals etc?

But the WHO is predominantly focused on the public health side of this. I think the answers given attest to that they aren't interested in playing games or politics, they just need to know what's really going on so that they can advise other countries and help organise help in whatever ways they can.

The stock market is a whole other topic as so often it runs on hopes/fears instead of on the underlying reality. When it runs on projections, it's like a computer model...what's the old computing phrase that meant rubbish in= rubbish out? But with the stock market it's not just rubbish out, it's amplified rubbish that comes out the other side, and then that has an effect on the underlying reality.

So you have an industry that's chugging along fine...maybe it's a little bit oversold but at a fairly reasonable price for the fundamentals. Along comes a fear story! No real basis to it, but everyone pulls their money out....and that damages the industry, so there's now a reason to pull the money out. And it's just like the snake eating its own tail.

I totally get what you are saying. WHO should be more unbiased here. China holds a lot of cards though not just in pharmaceuticals. I wonder how this is going to play out. Trump keeps pandering to them talking about what an amazing job they are doing and how much we trust them....while we simultaneously cut off flights to and from.

I wonder how stupid a choice it's going to end up being China trying to force people to return to work? They are in a bad position...control an epidemic or try and not totally crash their economy and cause a spiral of crashing around the world.

And then others are in a race to control the rights to treat this new virus which has the potential to make an insane amount of money for some pharmaceutical company out there. I don't trust those people either. LOL But I've probably already made that abundantly clear in this thread. I don't trust a lot of people.
All the global leaders understand Chinese culture. Embarrass them and accuse to their face, and you will get no where. The western world wants info right now. The best way to get it is to be nice.

But the WHO is predominantly focused on the public health side of this. I think the answers given attest to that they aren't interested in playing games or politics, they just need to know what's really going on so that they can advise other countries and help organise help in whatever ways they can.

The stock market is a whole other topic as so often it runs on hopes/fears instead of on the underlying reality. When it runs on projections, it's like a computer model...what's the old computing phrase that meant rubbish in= rubbish out? But with the stock market it's not just rubbish out, it's amplified rubbish that comes out the other side, and then that has an effect on the underlying reality.

So you have an industry that's chugging along fine...maybe it's a little bit oversold but at a fairly reasonable price for the fundamentals. Along comes a fear story! No real basis to it, but everyone pulls their money out....and that damages the industry, so there's now a reason to pull the money out. And it's just like the snake eating its own tail.

GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out

My online social feed is silent. Mostly people do not seem to care about the situation at all. I have a handful of people with the slightest interest in talking about it and one is Chinese American with family quarantined in China. I saw her bring up some of this in another group online and she even had people call her a fear-mongerer. I guess WHO are fear-mongerers too even though they are downplaying a lot of what's going on like the lack of counting in China. And it's fearmongering to say you have family quarantined and who you can not even send money to because all their banks are closed.

I brought the market up a while back on a previous thread and was told America was going to be just fine. We can just start all the manufacturing over here quickly. (I sincerely hope that's true but am skeptical) The more I read though the more convinced I am that if this is not contained it is going to be even worse than I guessed financially. I mean I did NOT know that almost all the meds and equipment we need to address a pandemic is manufactured in China and supplies are clearly short. How quickly does it take for us to start manufacturing antibiotics, syringes, masks, antivirals etc?
JMO I am vigilant on keeping up on prescriptions and getting as soon as insurance allows. I have bought some items OTC just to be sure (test strips/alcohol wipes/etc)
My circle of friends are keeping up with the news and some are already prepping. Elderly parents in our group that we provide care for is the biggest concern. (Compromised immune systems and frequent hospital visits)

“Los Angeles County public health nurses are closely monitoring all residents who have recently traveled to mainland China, regardless of whether they have any symptoms of the new strain of coronavirus, according to the county’s top health official.
More than 1,000 people have been assigned a public health nurse and asked to self-isolate and not to go to work or school for 14 days, Department of Public Health director Barbara Ferrer told the Board of Supervisors on Monday.”

Edit to add this gem: “It’s a very small number of people ... but nonetheless those people need all of our support,” Ferrer said.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...ainland-china-coronavirus-la-county?_amp=true
(Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. 1000 is a “very small number?!” Okayyyyy)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...ainland-china-coronavirus-la-county?_amp=true
All travelers from mainland China being monitored for coronavirus in L.A. County

Last edited:
Today's situation report by WHO released.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200212-sitrep-23-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=41e9fb78_2

HIGHLIGHTS•No new countries reported cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours. •WHO has published key considerations for repatriation and quarantine of travellers in relation to COVID-19. More information can be found here. https://www.who.int/ith/Repatriation_Quarantine_nCoV-key-considerations_HQ-final11Feb.pdf?ua=1 .•The UN activated a Crisis Management Team (CMT) on the COVID-19 outbreak, to be led by WHO. The WHO Director-General nominated Dr Mike Ryan, Executive Director of WHO Health Emergencies Programme as the Crisis Manager. The CMT brings together WHO, OCHA, IMO (International Maritime Organization), UNICEF, ICAO, WFP, FAO, the World Bank and several departments of the UN Secretariat. It held its first meeting yesterday via teleconference. This mechanism will help WHO focus on the health response while the other agencies will bring their expertise to bear on the wider social, economic and developmental implications of the outbreak. Additional members will be included depending on the evolution of the outbreak and its impact globally.•WHO has prepared a list of Q&A on infection prevention and control for health care workers caring for patients with suspected or confirmed 2019-nCoV

Probably not very long, weeks at most.

“Los Angeles County public health nurses are closely monitoring all residents who have recently traveled to mainland China, regardless of whether they have any symptoms of the new strain of coronavirus, according to the county’s top health official.
More than 1,000 people have been assigned a public health nurse and asked to self-isolate and not to go to work or school for 14 days, Department of Public Health director Barbara Ferrer told the Board of Supervisors on Monday.”

Edit to add this gem: “It’s a very small number of people ... but nonetheless those people need all of our support,” Ferrer said.
(Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. 1000 is a “very small number?!” Okayyyyy)
All travelers from mainland China being monitored for coronavirus in L.A. County
And there is about to be a very public memorial that's a one time event , I certainly hope we don't see a Staple Center outbreak people in China LOVE Kobe! I hope they stay put I don't trust self isolation, not when the stakes are so high

Dr M J Ryan did have to clear his throat a couple of times before responding to the question of change in definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member