Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus could spread through the AIR even after a patient has left the room, Chinese official claims as the disease's death toll rises past 1,000

The Chinese coronavirus could spread through the air even after an infected person has left the room, health officials claim

A member of local government in Shanghai said the virus may be able to spread by aerosol transmission, meaning can it linger in droplets in the air.

Coronavirus could spread by lingering in the AIR, Chinese official claims | Daily Mail Online

Coronavirus super-spreader revealed: Businessman scout leader at centre of Brighton's deadly disease cluster is married gas salesman who unwittingly infected ELEVEN people across Singapore, Europe and UK

Coronavirus super-spreader revealed as businessman scout leader from Brighton | Daily Mail Online

Mr Walsh has said in a statement in the article that he has thankfully fully recovered.

I am amazed he has revealed who he is unless the media knew and he had to come out before they told the world.

He has infected people and caused places to close down and it’s not something I would be bragging about in the newspapers.

IMO

I am amazed he has revealed who he is unless the media knew and he had to come out before they told the world.

He has infected people and caused places to close down and it’s not something I would be bragging about in the newspapers.

IMO

I think the press were going to name him so he was forced to reveal himself. They were discussing this man on Sky News U.K and the commentator said he should be named and have his photo released. Not to name and shame him but so it would help people know whether or not they came into contact with him.

Coronavirus emergency poses "a very grave threat" to the world, WHO boss says

The Wuhan coronavirus poses a “very grave threat for the rest of the world,” the head of the World Health Organization said Tuesday at the start of a two-day meeting in Geneva on the outbreak.

“With 99% of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

Tedros also said that there had been some "concerning instances" of onward transmission from people who had no travel history to China, including cases in France and the UK.

Coronavirus live updates: Death toll surpasses 1,000 in mainland China - CNN

Last edited:
and she's still floating around ....

A cruise ship carrying more than 2,000 people has been denied entry to at least 4 ports

The MS Westerdam, which has more than 2,000 people on board, has now been denied entry by at least four different ports over fears of the Wuhan coronavirus.

Thailand’s Prime Minister said the country would try to assist the ship but that it would not allow the boat to dock in Thailand to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

At a press conference Tuesday, Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha said:

"We are not allowing them to dock on our port, however we will look into humanitarian assistance, if they wanted to refill their fuel or resupply their food and water, we would definitely provide. "There are a lot of people on board, more than 2,000 people. We have to be careful, not allowing the situation to turn into stage 3 of disease spreading (in Thailand),” he added.

Last edited:
Coronavirus super-spreader revealed: Businessman scout leader at centre of Brighton's deadly disease cluster is married gas salesman who unwittingly infected ELEVEN people across Singapore, Europe and UK

Coronavirus super-spreader revealed as businessman scout leader from Brighton | Daily Mail Online

Mr Walsh has said in a statement in the article that he has thankfully fully recovered.

From that link:

Steve Walsh is in quarantine in a London hospital today after picking up the disease at a Singapore conference last month and coming home to Hove via an Alpine skiing holiday. He lives with his wife Catherine and contracted the virus during a conference at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Singapore <> more than two weeks ago. He then travelled to Les Contamines-Montjoie, near Megeve, for a ski break to stay with friends [redacted], who own the chalet where 11 people were exposed to the virus. They are both believed to have coronavirus and so has their nine-year-old son. Mr Walsh flew from Geneva to London on an easyJet plane with 100-plus passengers and crew before going to his local pub, The Grenadier in Hove. Over the weekend four people on the ski holiday with him, who also returned home to the city last week, tested positive including two GPs. Public health officials are urgently tracing patients who might have been infected - but have been accused of 'losing control' and keeping 'secrets' from the public.

Woah, that's a lot of people he has been closely exposed to, and I dread to think how many patients might have visited the doctors surgeries where the two GPs work.

Two men who tested negative for coronavirus in Japan now have the infection

Two Japanese citizens who had initially tested negative for coronavirus have now been diagnosed with the disease. Japan now has confirmed 163 cases.

The two new patients, both men, were evacuated from China to Japan. One is in his 50s and the other in his 40s, and both have no connection to the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

The men were retested after developing fevers.

South Korea is sending a third plane to Wuhan to pick up its citizens. It's also adding Hong Kong and Macao to its "virus contaminated zone"

170 people are expected to board the plane and South Korean authorities are considering allowing Chinese family members of its citizens to board the plane.

The flight will leave South Korea’s Incheon airport Tuesday evening at 8:45pm local and will arrive back in Gimpo airport in Seoul Wednesday morning, Kim said. Those repatriated will be quarantined at Korea Defense Language Institute, a military school facility located in a rural area.

Seoul also announced Tuesday that it will include the semiautonomous Chinese cities of Hong Kong and Macao in its "contaminated zone" list. The designation will go into effect Wednesday at midnight. Those entering South Korea from the two cities will be required to fill out a health questionnaire and be checked for fever. They might also be subject to a "quarantine/epidemiological investigation." Those presenting symptoms, including a fever, will be subjected to a check-up and, if suspected of carrying virus, will be immediately isolated or put under watch.

The Ministry also recommended South Korean nationals avoid travel to Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand.

The United Arab Emirates has confirmed one more coronavirus case. Another has recovered

The United Arab Emirates confirmed its eighth coronavirus case late Monday night. The Indian national had recently interacted with another person who had contracted the virus.

The ministry also announced Sunday that a 73-year-old Chinese patient had been cured -- the country's first recovery from the virus.

Vietnam confirms two more coronavirus cases, including a 3-month-old baby

A three-month-old baby girl and 55-year-old woman are the latest people in Vietnam to contract coronavirus.

The two patients are among 10 people in the northern Vinh Phuc province to have been infected. Across Vietnam, 15 people have the virus.

The baby was tested after her grandmother was diagnosed with the virus. She had previously spent four days at her grandmother's house. The baby is in quarantine and in a stable condition.

The 55-year-old woman is the neighbor of an infected patient who had recently been to Wuhan. She was in a stable condition at a local clinic on Sunday

2-year-old girl among new coronavirus cases confirmed in Singapore

A 2-year-old girl has been diagnosed with coronavirus in Singapore. The toddler had been evacuated from Wuhan on January 30 and placed under quarantine until the infection was confirmed on Monday morning.

A 37-year-old Singaporean with “no recent travel history to China" was also confirmed to have the virus on Tuesday.

That brings the total number of coronavirus cases in Singapore up to 45.

So, what do you think that the "real" numbers are? This doesn't seem correct to me, based on the information provided by crematorium workers.

Billionaire Whistleblower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000

I think it's impossible for anyone to know the actual figures. China doesn't know them as it's not been able to test every single person (in Hubei province). I would look at the epidemiological studies that have come out rather than individuals saying their personal thoughts on it.

I just read my first post opening the first thread on January 18. About 48 confirmed cases but epidemiologists were saying there could have been, at that point, about 4500 cases that hadn't been detected and confirmed. I think a few weeks later they said maybe something like 50,000 to 100,000 cases undetected. I haven't been keeping up with those numbers, but I'd think around 250,000 to 500,000 by now? We don't know what effect the quarantine on Hubei has had, as that should have brought the Ro down somewhat.

And let's say we go with the highest figure of 500,000 by now. Death rates lag, so 1% of 500,000 would be about 5000 deaths, but not all of them would have either died or recovered by now, so that would probably be about 1000 to 2000 deaths within Hubei, which would mean that most deaths have been counted as those would have been mostly occurring in the sickest people who needed hospitalisation and ICU and therefore be in the official counts.

Yes, these are just 'my' estimates, but see how I'm attempting to base the estimates on numbers of people actually being admitted to hospital, and then by the figures from expert epidemiological studies.

We saw a video a week or two back with yellow bags in wheelie bins that rumors were saying were body bags. But the yellow bags weren't big enough to hold bodies. We saw the bat soup video, but that turned out to not have even been taken in China. We have to be careful with "random person on YouTube or Twitter reckons...." even if that person's claim ends up on TV or in a widely-read newspaper. Even if that person is a billionaire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli