Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading here since the end of January. Long time fan of this site.
We had a 7 day cruise planned on RCCL to the Caribbean on Feb 22 that we’ve cancelled due to the coronavirus. We did buy travel insurance but I don’t know if it will be covered. Many emails to the cruise line with no response back.
I’ve not been in great health lately. Had breast cancer then a slew of other health problems, and can’t take the risk of getting sick with this virus, especially if you become stuck in another country or aboard ship.
I’m amazed at how little news is being put out about this. I would imagine that they don’t want to start a panic, but this just seems so weird.
We have daughters who are nurses (one in the military) and while they are aware of it, I haven’t heard anything from them about local preparedness or otherwise.

Someone upthread was asking about the positive case from the US airforce base Thursday. Came across this.

"CDC today confirmed another infection with Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in the United States. The patient is among a group of people under a federal quarantine order at JBSA-Lackland in Texas because of their recent return to the U.S. on a State Department-chartered flight that arrived on February 7, 2020.

All people who lived or travelled in Hubei Province, China, are considered at high risk of having been exposed to this virus and are subject to a temporary 14-day quarantine upon entry into the United States. This is the first person under quarantine at JBSA-Lackland who had symptoms and tested positive for COVID-19. The individual is currently isolated and receiving medical care at a designated hospital nearby.

This brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States to 15. There will likely be additional cases in the coming days and weeks, including among other people recently returned from Wuhan. While 195 people were discharged from quarantine on Tuesday, more than 600 people who returned on chartered flights from Wuhan remain under federal quarantine and are being closely monitored to contain the spread of the virus."

2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading here since the end of January. Long time fan of this site.
We had a 7 day cruise planned on RCCL to the Caribbean on Feb 22 that we’ve cancelled due to the coronavirus. We did buy travel insurance but I don’t know if it will be covered. Many emails to the cruise line with no response back.
I’ve not been in great health lately. Had breast cancer then a slew of other health problems, and can’t take the risk of getting sick with this virus, especially if you become stuck in another country or aboard ship.
I’m amazed at how little news is being put out about this. I would imagine that they don’t want to start a panic, but this just seems so weird.
We have daughters who are nurses (one in the military) and while they are aware of it, I haven’t heard anything from them about local preparedness or otherwise.

I am glad that you have decided to cancel your cruise. Sorry about the money you may have lost. But, I definitely think that it was a prudent decision.

Not everyone can work from home. Restaurant employees, grocery stores, gas stations etc. Etc. Right about now people are out of money. No money equals no food. That's a huge story that I wish the news media would get on the ball and cover.

In offices across Asia, desks are empty and the phones are quiet, as the region grapples with a deadly virus.

In major hubs like Hong Kong and Singapore, shops are shuttered, public facilities are closed, and there are few people wandering the usually-bustling financial districts.
Instead, millions of people are holed up in their apartments, in what may be the world's biggest work-from-home experiment.

In an attempt to limit social contact to slow the spread of the virus, known officially as Covid-19, millions of employees in China and other affected areas are currently working from home.

For some employees, like teachers who have conducted classes digitally for weeks, working from home can be a nightmare.

But in other sectors, this unexpected experiment has been so well received that employers are considering adopting it as a more permanent measure. For those who advocate more flexible working options, the past few weeks mark a possible step toward widespread -- and long-awaited -- reform.
Coronavirus triggers world's biggest work-from-home experiment - CNN

I’m going on a plane and staying in a hotel over next several days. I’m taking: N95 mask, Clorox wipes, travel size Lysol spray, and pocket Purell bottle.

Planning on using wipes on plane surfaces and spraying hotel room surfaces. Plan to use Purell as much as I can. Was only planning on using mask in case of sudden new cases in area I’m headed.

I plan to decline help with luggage from taxi/Uber drivers, decline food or beverages on flight, and not eat in airports. I plan to stay as far away from others in airport as well (yeah, that will be a piece of cake :confused:).

Any other advice? (Heaven help us that right now I trust WS more than the CDC for medical advice :eek:)

Not everyone can work from home. Restaurant employees, grocery stores, gas stations etc. Etc. Right about now people are out of money. No money equals no food. That's a huge story that I wish the news media would get on the ball and cover.

In offices across Asia, desks are empty and the phones are quiet, as the region grapples with a deadly virus.

In major hubs like Hong Kong and Singapore, shops are shuttered, public facilities are closed, and there are few people wandering the usually-bustling financial districts.
Instead, millions of people are holed up in their apartments, in what may be the world's biggest work-from-home experiment.

In an attempt to limit social contact to slow the spread of the virus, known officially as Covid-19, millions of employees in China and other affected areas are currently working from home.

For some employees, like teachers who have conducted classes digitally for weeks, working from home can be a nightmare.

But in other sectors, this unexpected experiment has been so well received that employers are considering adopting it as a more permanent measure. For those who advocate more flexible working options, the past few weeks mark a possible step toward widespread -- and long-awaited -- reform.
Coronavirus triggers world's biggest work-from-home experiment - CNN

An awful thing to say, but if it does decrease in virility as it goes through transmission cycles, the shut down of Wuhan/China is indeed a tragic thanks from the rest of the world. Dunno yet. Could it be that it becomes less and less virulent as it goes through each transmission.

Above, we listed the characteristics of a "bad virus" and this one fit the bill so far.

Is this something that happens with viruses? That they weaken as they are transmitted?

My opinion is that the fatality rate appears smaller in areas outside China due to the fact that the hospitals aren’t overwhelmed and the medical staff know what they set treating vs just treating flu/pneumonia symptoms

Today's WHO situation report is out

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0215-sitrep-26-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a4cc6787_2

HIGHLIGHTS•Egypt reported its first confirmed case of COVID-19. This is the second country in the WHO EMRO region to confirm a case,and thefirst reported case from the African continent. WHO was informed by the Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population. More information (in Arabic) can be found in ajoint media statementfromthe Ministry and WHO. الصفحة الرسمية للمتحدث الرسمي لوزارة الصحة والسكان •In a speech to the Munich Security Conference, the WHO Director-General, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, described aspects of the COVID-19 outbreak situation that WHO finds encouraging, and areas of concern. Details can be found here. Munich Security Conference •WHO regional offices continue to support countries with their COVID-19 readiness efforts. More information can be found about the efforts in each of the regions here: (e.d links for each are at the pub link above) Africa; Americas; South-East Asia; Europe; Eastern Mediterranean; and Western Pacific.

More at link

Some friends of mine insist that the Chinese government created the virus and is infecting people by giving them vaccinations that are actually the virus - in order to initiate population control via the orders of the Illuminati. And to think these friends have Master's degrees.

Man. It’s so illogical. That would be like deciding to burn down a room in your house where you have an unwanted tenant- No way to contain the fire and the damage would ruin your house even if you could.

I’m going on a plane and staying in a hotel over next several days. I’m taking: N95 mask, Clorox wipes, travel size Lysol spray, and pocket Purell bottle.

Planning on using wipes on plane surfaces and spraying hotel room surfaces. Plan to use Purell as much as I can. Was only planning on using mask in case of sudden new cases in area I’m headed.

I plan to decline help with luggage from taxi/Uber drivers, decline food or beverages on flight, and not eat in airports. I plan to stay as far away from others in airport as well (yeah, that will be a piece of cake :confused:).

Any other advice? (Heaven help us that right now I trust WS more than the CDC for medical advice :eek:)

Heyya MJP

I was thinking about you and
what kind of rituals wrt virus could be engaged in on a plane,
like people that have the companion animals when they travel.
Everyone understands anxiety or having a compromised immune system, so if anyone where to ask, probably no problem.
Like I dont think you could get away with an inflatable giraffe costume on the plane?

I always braid my hair and wear a hoodie when I take the train
because of the lice outbreak on the system.
And I remember Ben asked for leg room and was placed near the toilet area.
And there was that article that suggested a window seat in avoidance of germs.

Don't eat or drink the plane food, if it's a short flight.
Do whatever brings you confidence and lessens your worries.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what will happen to the passengers on Diamond Princess once the quarantine is lifted? I read the US Embassy is offering to fly people to the US starting on Sunday evening. But one passenger and wife are saying they want to wait out the few days left before the quarantine ends, then get a test for the virus. He doesn't want to be put on a plane with people who haven't served out their quarantine or have been tested, only to be flown home a few days early. I understand he has his own law practice and can move his client cases around to accommodate his time away from the office. Was Japan the final destination for this cruise?

Quarantined cruise ship passenger speaks out against US coronavirus evacuation plan

Maybe take a lovely handkerchief (do they even make them anymore) to cover the nose if someone sneezes near you, also a pair of cotton gloves. Handkerchiefs with lace and lovely gloves used to be fashionable in past generations. I know I have a few pairs of ladies daytime gloves, but no handkerchiefs, but I know of several vintage shops where they can be bought inexpensively.

MOO

Ugh, that was so sad about that family in Wuhan. I tried to quote but it's not working for me for some reason. A real tear jerker like you said. Also so concerning to see how healthy her father had been. No smoking, no alcohol, regularly exercise and 10,000 steps a day. Way healthier than average. He really looks super young for his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot