Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
China’s leader calls the outbreak a ‘crisis and a big test.’

China’s top leader, Xi Jinping, told officials at a Communist Party meeting on Sunday that the coronavirus epidemic was “a crisis and a big test” for the country.

Mr. Xi acknowledged “obvious shortcomings in the response to the epidemic,” but did not give details, adding that officials should “learn lessons” and improve the country’s ability to respond to public health emergencies.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Xi Acknowledges ‘Shortcomings’ in Fight Against Outbreak

Source New York Times.

Last edited:
Hundreds of dead animals in China blamed on ‘massive disinfecting efforts’
By Paula Froelich

February 22, 2020 | 3:10pm | Updated

China has another crisis on its hands as hundreds of animals have mysteriously died in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.

At least 135 animals — including boar, birds and weasels — were found dead just in Chongqing, as Communist Party officials blamed the deaths on “massive disinfecting efforts carried out by Chinese authorities,” according to The Star.

The mass die-off comes as the Chinese government has deployed a fleet of disinfectant trucks to spray affected cities. The country claims to have “mobilized a force of 5,300 forest rangers to monitor wildlife in the area” and enlisted 200 “full-time supervisors” to monitor the situation. The sites where the animals were found will be disinfected — and the carcasses presumably burned.

The coronavirus, which started in a market in Wuhan, is edging toward pandemic status. By early Sunday, worldwide, 29 countries have confirmed 78,767 cases, with 76,936 in mainland China. The death toll stood at 2,461, and 21,259 had recovered.

This week South Korea asked residents of Daegu, a city of 2.5 million people, to stay home and Italy reported its first death linked to the virus.

snip
BREAKING: Turkey closes border with Iran due to coronavirus outbreak - CNN Turk
BREAKING: Afghanistan closes border with Iran due to coronavirus - TOLO News
BREAKING: Israel will deny entry to all foreigners who have recently been in South Korea or Japan
ETA
NEW: At least 36 people with coronavirus who were taken from the Diamond Princess cruise ship are seriously ill - Kyodo

Add to above...
BNO Newsroom[URL='https://twitter.com/BNODesk']@BNODesk [/URL]
42s
NEW: Pakistan has closed the border with Iran due to coronavirus - AFP

I feel for them but can't quite understand this expectation that the US government is responsible for them.
They are citizens of the United States. It is not unreasonable for citizens of a country to expect assistance from their government.

The amount of assistance can vary depending on the individual's level of responsibility for their predicament. In this case, I don't think they are individually responsible.

As for the Canadians, the Canadian government was not obligated to assist US citizens in escaping Iran during the hostage crisis, but they did.

Likewise, the Canadians were not obligated to send highly trained soldiers to Afghanistan immediately following 9-11, but they did. They even kept them there after a very avoidable friendly fire incident involving a US pilot killed about five Canadians.

I hope President Trump remembers these things regarding any decision to assist Canadians.

Italian officials will cancel the final two days of the Venice Carnival on Monday and Tuesday because of the coronavirus outbreak.
It comes as hotel reservations in Venice were down one-third during the first weekend of Carnival, though the floods in the lagoon city late last year are likely to have scared off visitors.

Coronavirus outbreak: special powers enacted in Italy after deaths – live news

I flew out of Venice last Saturday and back in late last night. Quite the difference. Everyone had their temps checked. And at 11 pm at night there were tons of Italian guards along with many medical waiting.. A huge area was designated to medic.

This week is vacation for the Italian public schools. My kids go to a intentional school and they had vacation this past week with many students left for vacation. Now we have 3 days off for precaution. We still have Carnivale where I live.

‘We’re in a Petri Dish’: How a Coronavirus Ravaged a Cruise Ship

More than three days passed before Japan imposed a quarantine. That delay and other missteps helped produce the largest outbreak of the virus beyond China.
And it ain't over yet. Japan let ~1000 people into general population, when it's plainly obvious some of those people were likely infected, even if they tested negative before allowed to leave. Already the article says one of those people tested positive. US and Australia found more people testing positive among those evacuated, who tested negative at the time of release.

I flew out of Venice last Saturday and back in late last night. Quite the difference. Everyone had their temps checked. And at 11 pm at night there were tons of Italian guards along with many medical waiting.. A huge area was designated to medic.

This week is vacation for the Italian public schools. My kids go to a intentional school and they had vacation this past week with many students left for vacation. Now we have 3 days off for precaution. We still have Carnivale where I live.

Godspeed to you and your family. Thanks for the personalized information and look forward to your future posts.

ETA: I don't see any indications of daily WHO presser. IIRC, they haven't been doing on Sundays, but I'll keep checking. Just an FYI for those expecting to see me post such.

Previous thread someone was asking for CFR (case fatality rate) for other pandemics. I just found this. FYI MOO the "normal flu" season in US is 0.002% CFR (2 deaths/100,000 cases) https://www.medrxiv.org/content/medrxiv/early/2020/02/18/2020.02.15.20023499.full.pdf

34.4% CFR for MERS, 9.6% CFR for original SARS etc shown below

PastPandemics.JPG

I found this for flu this year, but a rabbit hole I"m climbing out of before I fall into it so as to focus on COVID-19

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)

They are citizens of the United States. It is not unreasonable for citizens of a country to expect assistance from their government.

The amount of assistance can vary depending on the individual's level of responsibility for their predicament. In this case, I don't think they are individually responsible.

As for the Canadians, the Canadian government was not obligated to assist US citizens in escaping Iran during the hostage crisis, but they did.

Likewise, the Canadians were not obligated to send highly trained soldiers to Afghanistan immediately following 9-11, but they did. They even kept them there after a very avoidable friendly fire incident involving a US pilot killed about five Canadians.

I hope President Trump remembers these things regarding any decision to assist Canadians.
Both of these situations are quite different. This article talks about the family calling the state department emergency line and demanding they go and get them. The State department found them commercial flights to Amsterdam. I believe that will be the extent of it considering the state department said on the CDC call that they will no go get anyone else.

I had missed something before on this... What a jump back up we have now that all the evacs are done! They tested the crew, who were going door to door etc around the ship last SMDH

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline
57 new cases in Japan. They were found on the “Diamond Princess” cruise ship off Yokohama, raising the ship’s total to 691. Among the new cases are 55 crew members and 2 passengers. Both passengers and 50 of the crew members are asymptomatic. (Source)

Through google translate of the source document at 横浜港で検疫中のクルーズ船内で確認された新型コロナウイルス感染症について(2月23日公表分) it says:

"About new coronavirus infection confirmed on cruise ship during quarantine at Yokohama Port (published on February 23)
ク ル ー ズ The cruise ship Diamond Princess, which arrived at Yokohama Port on February 3, is undergoing quarantine at sea.
Samples were collected between February 19 and February 21, and the results of the PCR tests were as follows.

1) crew
Of the 819 samples for which the results were found, 55 were positive (including 50 asymptomatic pathogen carriers).

2) Passengers
Of the 12 specimens for which the results were found, 2 were positive (of which 2 were symptomatic pathogen carriers)."

Look at the number of asymptomatic crew members closely above. Are they self reporting correctly, or do we assume those number are true and accurate. Scary as CHIT if this is a true reflection. That's only 10% symptomatic and 90% asymptomatic?

Again, was self reporting (and possible anti cough/anti pyretics used by crew members) low due to they didn't want to either "get in trouble" or lose their jobs?

This type of potential as to denial of symptoms MOO is going to be widespread. Imagine if you didn't think it was a big deal, but you and your family would loose your house/income etc so you might lie?

Imagine this coming to areas near you where laborers who live "hand to mouth" already and have to work every day to pay their rent, vs. folks that have 6 months of life savings for bills in their accounts.

Yeah, I can imagine dishonest reporting, and hiding facts.

ETA: Also, folks who are low income may or may not even have health care. So they may avoid self reporting as who is going to pay for all those tests and CAT scans and lung xrays to just diagnose etc? They will hope they are the mild cases, so not report?

Last edited:
They found them a place to stay in Alabama. No worries, CA will be up their eyeballs in alligators soon, I believe. They better get this place ready.

Yeah, I was thinking last night why they were moving them vs. finishing out and going through all that trouble to move them. I came up with they need to clear and rotate for the next set coming in.. but troubling that that is the only entry points for doing such.

dunno... gonna have to put on my Winnie the Pooh think think think cap

As a fifth death is announced, South Korea’s president authorizes bold measures.

President Moon Jae-in on Sunday put South Korea on the highest possible alert in its fight against the coronavirus, a move that empowers the government to lock down cities and take other sweeping measures to contain the outbreak.

“The coming few days will be a critical time for us,” Mr. Moon said at an emergency meeting of government officials to discuss the outbreak, which in just days has spiraled to 602 confirmed infections and five deaths. “This will be a momentous time when the central government, local governments, health officials and medical personnel and the entire people must wage an all-out, concerted response to the problem.”

Coronavirus Live Updates: South Korea’s Leader Raises Alert Level to Maximum

Source - New York Times - Copy from the statement from the South Korean President

Coming soon to a town near you??
This could easily be the headlines for any of us in the very near future. IMO, containment has failed, it’s now a concerted effort to slow the spread - to buy critical time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia