Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYC’s hotel industry bracing for potential coronavirus disaster

The coronavirus’ impact on global travel is sending tremors through New York City’s hotel industry, which was sagging from declining occupancy and revenue even before the China-originated pandemic struck.

“It’s a human tragedy that is also a potential disaster for those of us in hotels, especially at the Manhattan high end,” one nervous general manager who didn’t want to be named told Realty Check.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/nypo...acing-for-potential-coronavirus-disaster/amp/

Source New York Post

It's interesting. On TripAdvisor, one of the best travel forums around, there is virtually no mention of COVID-19

And if gets mentioned, it gets quickly dismissed.

Almost as if TA wants to suppress travel fears for a reason. And this is on the Cruise forum.

The nightly BBC news podcast had an expert on talking about COVID-19

He says it has been found in the nasopharynx ( no surprise), but also in feces and urine.

So if that doesn't get you washing your hands with a brush and cleaning under your nails like I recommended, I don't know what will.

If dogs can be trained (or naturally detect) a number of conditions, wondering if some could help detect cv. too.
speculation, imo.
Vancouver canine sniffers have the right superbug detection stuff, study finds
''The dogs found C. diff scents in washrooms, on medical equipment, in linen carts, in hospital beds, in family waiting areas, in hospital staff lockers and even in places no one thought about, like inside toilet paper dispensers.

“Now we are thinking about whether this is a toilet paper dispenser design issue that needs to be fixed or whether it’s the quality of the toilet paper or both,” Bryce said, noting that apparently when people with contaminated hands reach into the dispenser to pull the tissue down, they leave bacteria on the surface.

“The results highlight the impact of cross-transmission not only by health care workers but also by patients and the public,” the study says.

Medical equipment and other clutter stashed in hallways accounted for over half the alerts, “emphasizing the importance of decluttering to permit effective cleaning,” Bryce said

After the dogs sniff out the superbug, ultraviolet light robots are brought in to do quick disinfection. The light kills antibiotic-resistant germs like C. diff.''

Hero Medical Detection Dogs can sniff out cystic fibrosis before it takes hold | Metro News
'' Dogs can sniff out bacteria that is a major of cause of lung damage in people with cystic fibrosis before it takes hold, according to a study. Research found the animals can detect ultra-low concentrations of pseudomonas, the commonest cause of lung infection in the disease. Bio detection dogs have a very high level of accuracy when asked to identify bacteria associated with serious lung infections, research by Imperial College London and the Cystic Fibrosis Trust suggests.''
My goodness ! Toilet paper sniffing dogs !........ What will those Canadians think of next ?....moo

Last edited:
NYC’s hotel industry bracing for potential coronavirus disaster

The coronavirus’ impact on global travel is sending tremors through New York City’s hotel industry, which was sagging from declining occupancy and revenue even before the China-originated pandemic struck.

“It’s a human tragedy that is also a potential disaster for those of us in hotels, especially at the Manhattan high end,” one nervous general manager who didn’t want to be named told Realty Check.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/nypo...acing-for-potential-coronavirus-disaster/amp/

Source New York Post

Looks like everyone recognizes that travel is the worst case scenario - where rich people think that another country is better in an epidemc.

Apologies if this article was already posted-
Labs in the US will start looking for the new coronavirus this week

“This week”??

This article highlights/explains to me why the US isn’t showing higher confirmed cases right now. I’ve been feeling for the past week something isn’t adding up. Well, it’s not, and it’s because we’ve not had accurate tests, so we’ve just not been testing.

Repeat: we’ve just not been testing.....

This article underscores how behind the 8 ball the US is with this virus. Wow. Once they actually start testing our population (this week supposedly if all goes well)...

MOO, we’ve got the virus running all over the States right now. I’d be thrilled to be wrong.

MOO.

The nightly BBC news podcast had an expert on talking about COVID-19

He says it has been found in the nasopharynx ( no surprise), but also in feces and urine.

So if that doesn't get you washing your hands with a brush and cleaning under your nails like I recommended, I don't know what will.

Not good for us cleaners in the world. I can’t clean in a hazmat suit.

Coronavirus: caso positivo a Firenze

Two cases in Santa Maria. One male who return home to Florence 20 days ago and just now feels ill. Another a women returning from the carnivale in Venice. Which just says suspicious case. Interestingly the male tested neg with the first swab. I wonder where he return from. If anyone sees it in the article please let me know.

I think they are using wrong number. It was a case fatality rate of 829 out of 13,909 patients in the Lancet study that were over the age of 60. That is 6% for the lancet study. MOO.

Did they say where they got that figure or what city they were talking about? Perhaps they interpreted this graph wrong?

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/fileCCDCW/journal/article/ccdcw/2020/8/PDF/COVID-19.pdf

upload_2020-2-24_8-12-27-png.234272

I think I see where the 30% comes from? See next to the 60-69 age bracket it has 8583 cases (19.2) then in the next column it has 309 (30.2) I think they've mistaken that for the percentage of 60-69 yr olds dying from Covid-19. But that's not what it says, it says 30.2% of deaths are in that age group, but for that age group alone, the deaths are 3.6% of people in that age group that were confirmed as having Covid-19.

Apologies if this article was already posted-
Labs in the US will start looking for the new coronavirus this week

“This week”??

This article highlights/explains to me why the US isn’t showing higher confirmed cases right now. I’ve been feeling for the past week something isn’t adding up. Well, it’s not, and it’s because we’ve not had accurate tests, so we’ve just not been testing.

Repeat: we’ve just not been testing.....

This article underscores how behind the 8 ball the US is with this virus. Wow. Once they actually start testing our population (this week supposedly if all goes well)...

MOO, we’ve got the virus running all over the States right now. I’d be thrilled to be wrong.
MOO.

Trump has been assuring the world that the US have it under control and the virus cannot hit the 350 million people in the US. It's more likely that is will spread in India, Iran, Italy and other countries before it becomes a concern in the states. Will the states catch it in time?

o_OI have a anaphylactic type disorder that includes sensitivity to chemicals, so if the virus doesn’t get me the sanitizers wipes and sprays probably will! lol
Now that this “epidemic” is worldwide I’m amazed no other cruise ships have been affected. How is this so?

I have an issue with chemicals as well. I can barely even walk down the cleaning products aisle and try to avoid it if I have to.

I wonder if more natural products like Seventh Generation and Method are effective as well. I’m not taking chances so have bleach, alcohol (50% boo because that’s all they had) and Clorox wipes.

I have been wondering a lot about the exact chemical formula being used to disinfect the streets of Wuhan and other locations, airplanes, etc. I wonder if any of the chemicals they are using are toxic in anyway, of course it’s a double edged sword and “the lesser of two evils”. You know all those chemicals, whatever they are, will get in the soil, ground water, atmosphere, etc., (we know they have also had to disinfect the sewer systems, etc.). I have thought and worried about the dogs getting the chemicals on their paws.

Again it seems as though there is no choice but to bomb the places with disinfectant. But as I wondered during the BP Oil Spill about the long term effect of corexit, which is basically roach spray) which was crop dusted over the oceans and pumped into the seabed, I do wonder again exactly what they’re spraying. Shoot, if someone is sensitive to chemicals and had a reaction, they might think they have coronavirus and quarantine them will all the sick people :eek:.

So you think you've about to be in a pandemic?

Some of these things will last much longer and include items that may not be a top priority for authorities to keep stocked:

• Extra prescription medications, asthma relief inhalers
    Some of these may be a problem, so talk to your doctor soon.
  • Over-the-counter anti-fever and pain medications
    paracetamol and ibuprofen can go a long way to making us feel less sick
  • Feminine hygiene products
  • Family pack of toilet paper
  • Vitamins
    In case food shortages limit the variety in your diet
  • Alcohol-containing hand rub
  • Soap
  • Household cleaning agents
    Bleach, floor cleaner, toilet cleaner, surface cleaning spray, laundry detergent
  • Tissues, paper towel
  • Cereals, grains, pasta
  • Tinned food – fish, vegetables, fruit
  • Oil, spices and flavours
  • Dried fruit and nuts
  • Ultra-heat treated or powdered milk
    Ian is not drinking black coffee, no matter what
  • Soft drink or candy/chocolate for treats
  • Think about elderly relative’s needs
    Their medications, pets, pandemic stash, plans for care (see later)
  • Pet food and care
    Dry and tinned food, litter tray liners, medicines, anti-flea drops

Last edited:
Coronavirus: caso positivo a Firenze

Two cases in Santa Maria. One male who return home to Florence 20 days ago and just now feels ill. Another a women returning from the carnivale in Venice. Which just says suspicious case. Interestingly the male tested neg with the first swab. I wonder where he return from. If anyone sees it in the article please let me know.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...rus-cases-confirmed-in-tuscany-and-sicily/amp

An Italian woman on holiday in Palermo has become the first person to test positive for the coronavirus in southern Italy. The woman, from Bergamo in the region of Lombardy, is now in isolation in Palermo's Cervello hospital. The people she was travelling with has also been placed under quaratine, local media reports.

The group had arrived in Sicily before the outbreak in the Lombardy region began last week, and the woman tested positive in hospital on Monday night.

In central Florence, a 60-year-old Italian businessman who had reportedly travelled to Singapore recently has been placed in isolation at the city's Ponte a Niccheri hospital after testing positive for the virus.

The man is the first person in Tuscany to test positive for the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member