Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a dream about people abandoning pets. It was awful. I would never let my cat go anywhere. We move back to the States in June and I worry about the process of bringing him home. I know my pic is of a dog. That's pepper she passed away years ago. But I love her still.

Winter weather here for me sucks. I'm from a dry winter here it's constantly feels wet even when the sun shines . The last two Winters I have had the worst cold. Just stepping out today I came home and coughed and felt the wetness in my chest.

Still no reports of any virus in my city and region. On Sunday the banned is lifted for things that are closed. But we will see if anything else changes.

Coronavirus: Pope cancels appointments for second day | News | The Times

"Slightly unwell" Pope Francis nixes public events amid Italy's virus outbreak

Pope Francis, still feeling "slightly unwell" after appearing to cough and wipe his nose earlier this week, cancelled all of his public audiences Friday amid a growing and deadly outbreak of the new coronavirus in Italy.

There has been no suggestion the pope himself might have COVID-19 disease, and the Vatican has not mentioned a fever — considered the most common symptom of it.

It was not clear Friday whether Francis had been tested specifically for the new disease. Now 83, he has generally enjoyed good health, but he had part of a lung removed as a young man due to an infection, and the coronavirus is known to be particularly dangerous for older patients and those with underlying health conditions.

Coronavirus reaches 52 countries, including 1st in sub-Saharan Africa

pope-francis-sick-ap-20057595441859.jpg

First case of coronavirus confirmed in the Netherlands

The first case of coronavirus in the Netherlands was detected on Thursday. The patient had travelled to northern Italy. All those who have been in "close contact" with the person involved have been checked out and the patient has been placed in isolation. The public health body advised everyone in the country to be careful to avoid more infections.

Nigeria reports first confirmed coronavirus case

Nigeria confirmed its first coronavirus case Thursday in Lagos State, according to a tweet from the country's Federal Ministry of Health.

The patient is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria, and returned from Milan on February 25. The patient, who has no serious symptoms, is being cared for at a hospital in Lagos.

Lithuania becomes 50th country to confirm presence of coronavirus

Lithuania confirmed its first case of the novel coronavirus in a woman who returned from Italy. The 39-year-old, who returned from Verona on Monday and immediately went on sick leave, has been isolated in hospital in the Baltic state's northern city of Siauliai and has mild symptoms. Her family members are being monitored.

Coronavirus: Pope cancels appointments for second day | News | The Times

"Slightly unwell" Pope Francis nixes public events amid Italy's virus outbreak

Pope Francis, still feeling "slightly unwell" after appearing to cough and wipe his nose earlier this week, cancelled all of his public audiences Friday amid a growing and deadly outbreak of the new coronavirus in Italy.

There has been no suggestion the pope himself might have COVID-19 disease, and the Vatican has not mentioned a fever — considered the most common symptom of it.

It was not clear Friday whether Francis had been tested specifically for the new disease. Now 83, he has generally enjoyed good health, but he had part of a lung removed as a young man due to an infection, and the coronavirus is known to be particularly dangerous for older patients and those with underlying health conditions.

pope-francis-sick-ap-20057595441859.jpg

Iran's former ambassador to the Vatican and prominent cleric Hadi Khosrowshahi died of coronavirus, local media reported on Thursday.

The 81-year-old cleric died at a hospital in Iran.

Iran's ex-ambassador to Vatican dies of coronavirus

Coronavirus: Quarantined inside Italy's red zone
By Rozina SiniBBC News

Daniela Marchiotti, a writer and translator, lives in San Fiorano with husband Daniele and daughter Emma.

It's been seven days since the family were told not to leave the red zone. Here, Daniela tells the BBC what life is like in a quarantined village.

It all feels surreal.

"Last week when the news first came out there was some initial anxiety as the information was worrying and confusing.

"There were long queues to buy supplies and the shops were only allowing people inside in small groups. People were buying bleach and disinfectant which quickly went out of stock.

It was also compulsory to wear a mask. If you weren't wearing one you would be sent home.

"On Tuesday, it was carnival here but all events were cancelled. But my husband wore a wig and headed out to buy supplies.

"He wanted to give people a reason to laugh and keep their spirits."

"But now things are less strict. Since yesterday the authorities have confirmed masks are no longer necessary inside supermarkets as long as people limit their movements, but many are wearing them nevertheless.

"Then there are the patrols, both the police and the army are at the borders of the red zone, which we are allowed to move within but not out of.

"Life has certainly taken an unexpected turn but people here are very resourceful.

Volunteers are bringing food and medicines to the sick or the old who cannot leave their homes, and a few newsagents have opened so that older people can buy newspapers and keep up-to-date with the latest advice.

"Apart from the initial fears, it's all very calm and quiet. There is no panic.

Vietnam stops issuing visas to South Koreans

The government said the measure aims to help Vietnam contain the spread of the coronavirus epidemic and limit the impact of the virus on its economy and society.

The Vietnamese government also announced that any other foreign nationals who have visited South Korea will be subject to a 14-day mandatory quarantine upon arrival.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Markets take historic tumble as virus spreads - CNN

The latest numbers: There are more than 83,000 cases around the world, including over 2,850 deaths. The vast majority of these are in mainland China, which has reported 78,824 cases and 2,788 deaths.

The deaths: Outside of mainland China, 71 virus-related deaths have been recorded:
  • Iran: 26
  • Italy 17
  • South Korea: 13
  • Japan: 9
  • Hong Kong and France: 2 each
  • The Philippines and Taiwan: 1 each
South Korea spike: The East Asian country reported 571 coronavirus cases on Friday, bringing the national total to 2,337 cases -- the largest outbreak outside of mainland China. It has reported 13 deaths. Many of the cases are linked to a religious group in the country's south.

More cases in Italy: At least 650 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Italy, officials said. Across Europe, at least 11 countries now have confirmed cases of the virus, with many of the patients having visited the Lombardy region at the center of Italy's outbreak.

Stock markets plunge: A historic fall in US stocks on Thursday has caused shockwaves through Asia Pacific markets today, with drops in major exchanges across the region. It followed a record drop in the United States as the Dow dropped 1,191 points on Thursday, in its worst one-day point drop in history, while the S&P 500 posted its worst day since 2011.

Coronavirus in Africa: The first confirmed novel coronavirus case in Nigeria is an Italian citizen who traveled to Lagos. Nigeria is the third African nation to report the virus, and the first in sub-Saharan Africa. The others are Egypt and Algeria, which both have one case each.

Evacuations from North Korea: A plan is in the works to evacuate quarantined foreign diplomats from Pyongyang, North Korea, a source inside the country tells CNN. The date of the evacuation flight has not been confirmed, but the source says it will likely fly from Pyongyang to Vladivostok, Russia.

Countries report first cases: Lithuania, Belarus and New Zealand reported their first cases overnight. The Lithuanian patient is a woman who is experiencing “mild symptoms." The Belarus case is a student from Iran, while New Zealand's case is "a person in their 60s, recently returned from Iran." Meanwhile, France reported two new cases and Hong Kong one case on Friday.

Artists cancel gigs: K-pop group BTS have canceled four shows in Seoul in April, and American rock band Green Day have called off their upcoming Asia tour over the coronavirus.

Other closures: Hyundai Motor is suspending the operation of a plant in Ulsan, South Korea after one of its employees tested positive for the virus. Meanwhile Tokyo's Disneyland and DisneySea are closing for two weeks because of the virus.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Markets take historic tumble as virus spreads - CNN

Spain cases spike to 32, hundreds of tourists in Tenerife need monitoring

Spain has reported 18 new cases of the coronavirus overnight, bringing its total number to 32.

Twenty-nine of those cases have a direct link to known risk zones in other countries, but where the three other patients contracted the virus is unknown, as they hadn’t recently travelled to affected areas.

By Rozina SiniBBC News

Daniela Marchiotti, a writer and translator, lives in San Fiorano with husband Daniele and daughter Emma.

It's been seven days since the family were told not to leave the red zone. Here, Daniela tells the BBC what life is like in a quarantined village.

It all feels surreal.

"Last week when the news first came out there was some initial anxiety as the information was worrying and confusing.

"There were long queues to buy supplies and the shops were only allowing people inside in small groups. People were buying bleach and disinfectant which quickly went out of stock.

It was also compulsory to wear a mask. If you weren't wearing one you would be sent home.

"On Tuesday, it was carnival here but all events were cancelled. But my husband wore a wig and headed out to buy supplies.

"He wanted to give people a reason to laugh and keep their spirits."

"But now things are less strict. Since yesterday the authorities have confirmed masks are no longer necessary inside supermarkets as long as people limit their movements, but many are wearing them nevertheless.

"Then there are the patrols, both the police and the army are at the borders of the red zone, which we are allowed to move within but not out of.

"Life has certainly taken an unexpected turn but people here are very resourceful.

Volunteers are bringing food and medicines to the sick or the old who cannot leave their homes, and a few newsagents have opened so that older people can buy newspapers and keep up-to-date with the latest advice.

"Apart from the initial fears, it's all very calm and quiet. There is no panic.

This is awesome news - I hope the reaction is as calm and civil in the US.

Quoted from @Amonet in the last thread:

“And didn't Warren Buffett say he's not selling? That could be two things, could be a confidence thing (which is something that bothers me about all these 'buy gold' videos I see, or he's so rich that he can cope and hope that this all blows over by May/June, or he knows the stock market will be back up in ten years and he's okay playing the long game...he can cope with the paper losses in the meantime.”

When I read this, my first thought was that he may not be taking money out of the market “selling”, but I would bet there’s some shuffling of stocks going on!!

moo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member