Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not good....

BREAKING: Mexico confirms first case of coronavirus Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Mexico reports first cases of virus

Mexico announced that the country now has two confirmed cases of the new coronavirus. One of the patients is in Mexico City and the other in the northern state of Sinaloa, and neither is seriously ill.

At least five family contacts of the first patient have been placed in isolation. He said one of the men had contact with someone who had traveled to the northern Italian region where there has been an outbreak.

Coronavirus in more than 50 countries, including 1st in sub-Saharan Africa

Last edited:
NCAA Preparing for Coronavirus Impact on March Madness

"NCAA staff continues to prepare for March Madness but we are keenly aware of coronavirus and will continue to monitor in coordination with state/local health authorities and the CDC," NCAA associate director of communications Chris Radford told USA Today, which was the first to report that the NCAA's Sports Science Institute issued a pair of memos to its members related to the virus.

The memos directed readers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for resources as they prepare for the upcoming basketball tournaments, which start March 17.

Ok, guys, I’ve been trying to keep up. I’m seriously worried about my SIL and nephew going on a cruise with stops in Mexico now. It’s better than Asia, but any cruise freaks me out right now.

I found this article, which states the mortality rate for flu is .1% and COVID-19 is 2.3%. Does this seem in line with what you all are finding? I want to discourage her from going. Thinking about sending this article to her.

Trump official says coronavirus death rate same as flu – despite it being 100 times bigger

There is not a chart for China on the link, I just did a screen shot for those outside China. If you go to other sites, you can see China Coronavirus Update (Live): 24,627 Cases and 493 Deaths from the Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

The above link is an excellent resource site with lots of information in graph and summary form to put as a bookmark (as is the JH site) MOO

Yes, the red colour is cases exported from China. While it does say that most cases are 'under investigation' as regards the source, it's looking way more likely to me to be from a country other than China.

Which I think is good news if China is exporting fewer cases than it was earlier in the outbreak, and it suggests that their cases really are going down....at least outside Hubei.

Premarket US stock market futures today. They look like last Monday when losses were really large MOO

9:01 am futures
Dow - 1.6% (yesterday close was -4.42%)
Nasdaq - 1.93% (yesterday close was -4.61%)
S&P -1.78% (yesterday close was -4.42%)

Market opens at 9:30 am eastern.

When opens in 3 minutes, a MSM link U.S. Stock Market Data - Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P500 - CNNMoney

It appears that the "normal person" with 401k's at work etc. is now keen on it and may be going to cash positions MOO

Last edited:
I don't trust any of the figures coming out of China and Iran.

Those figures weren't from China though, so they should be more reliable indicators than the official figures from China. Remember that earlier on almost every case outside China could be traced back to China? Now they're not tracing back to China, which means China isn't unknowingly exporting as many cases, as travelers from China are the most likely to get tested if they report symptoms.

Iran's figures will have to be determined by epidemiologists I think. We already know it's big from the reports coming out, that it's got into government/cabinet figures, and that they've exported quite a few cases to other countries.

So, what I'm saying is that we can better trust the figures that are confirmation of exported cases from other countries, which in itself is an indication of what's going on there.

Awesome video....thanks for sharing....
Noted items:
First case in Italy appears very similar to response of Sanono County case in length of time to diagnose. My question-Learning curve???
Pope is being tested.......
Don't worry about your dog....
Hunei Province has not had a new case in 3 days....still locked down.....and that's why..,,,

Feb 28 2020
Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths
''Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

Claim: ‘It only kills the elderly, so younger people can relax’
Most people who are not elderly and do not have underlying health conditions will not become critically ill from Covid-19. But the illness still has a higher chance of leading to serious respiratory symptoms than seasonal flu and there are other at-risk groups – health workers, for instance, are more vulnerable because they are likely to have higher exposure to the virus. The actions that young, healthy people take, including reporting symptoms and following quarantine instructions, will have an important role in protecting the most vulnerable in society and in shaping the overall trajectory of the outbreak.

Claim: ‘Face masks don’t work’
Wearing a face mask is not an iron clad guarantee that you won’t get sick – viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can still penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is the main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly five-fold protection versus no barrier. If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re just walking around town and not in close contact with others, wearing a mask is unlikely to make any difference.''

How does U.S. testing compare with other countries?
Not well. While the U.S. has tested less than 500 cases, U.K. health officials have conducted more than 7,100 coronavirus tests as of Wednesday, confirming 13 positive cases, and U.K. authorities have announced aggressive plans to test thousands more, including drive-thru coronavirus testing. South Korea, which is battling the largest known outbreak outside of China, already has drive-thru testing in place and the country’s health officials have already conducted more than 30,000 coronavirus tests — mostly within the last week. And just one province in Canada, Ontario, has already conducted more tests (629) than in the entire US.
Why Hasn’t the U.S. Done More Coronavirus Tests?

Those figures weren't from China though, so they should be more reliable indicators than the official figures from China. Remember that earlier on almost every case outside China could be traced back to China? Now they're not tracing back to China, which means China isn't unknowingly exporting as many cases, as travelers from China are the most likely to get tested if they report symptoms.

Iran's figures will have to be determined by epidemiologists I think. We already know it's big from the reports coming out, that it's got into government/cabinet figures, and that they've exported quite a few cases to other countries.

So, what I'm saying is that we can better trust the figures that are confirmation of exported cases from other countries, which in itself is an indication of what's going on there.

No, just my gut feeling, I don't trust the figures out of China and Iran. I believe both countries are highly under-reported.

Nigeria says it's more than capable of dealing with coronavirus

The Italian patient who arrived in the country with the virus is currently stable and “has mild to moderate symptoms.”

The man was screened on arrival at the airport, however he presented no symptoms at the time, which is why the temperature scanners at the airport did not detect him.

Nigerian officials say the patient arrived in Lagos on Tuesday and became ill the next day, but physicians who examined him contacted the NCDC after asking him about his travel history.

“He had astute physicians,” Ihekweazu said. “The doctor got in touch with us when he found out he had just come from Milan, we collected a sample, tested it and isolated him in a facility in Lagos that manages infectious diseases.”

The government is now racing to identify all the passengers on the plane and all the people he may have come in contact with the man who was working as a consultant in Ogun State, around 100 km outside of Lagos.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Markets take historic tumble as virus spreads - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member