Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here good at starting polls on the "Polls" forum elsewhere on this site? The public is welcome to participate which could draw more people to Websleuths if they're interested in discussing COVID-19. I've done a couple of polls but only with the help of a staff member, and I don't want to impose on our already-busy moderators. The questionnaire could include worst fears about the virus, satisfaction with national response, what local communities and individuals are doing to prepare, etc. I'd be happy to work on the questionnaire if someone could help with actually posting the poll.
@JerseyGirl

Media person is asking now about the dog report we have seen here on threads at WHO meeting A. We are aware of "weakly positive" and we are working with China to see if was an infection or contaminated / picked it up from an infected surface. We'll have to get back to you.

Great idea to have multiple questions along with multiple choice options for answers.

I tried once to set one up and I found I did not have the right privileges to start my own Poll so I do think a MOD has to help setup the Poll on the Poll Thread. You probably already know this that there is a special thread that has the polls and then we can link to it from here to tell everyone where the Poll is, and we can eventually include the Poll link on Page 1 .

I have physical therapy today but will work on a poll over the next couple of days. This discussion is a fantastic source of well-researched, accurate, and timely information. A poll that is open to non-members will draw new folks into the discussion, and that could be a good thing :)

Where does the cruise originate? Many folks from outside the U.S. travel to warmer climates during the winter months.
Alabama.

I don’t want them to have any contact with my elderly parents for at least 2 weeks after they return. Who knows who else has been on this ship recently. I have zero confidence that we know for certain these things are thoroughly disinfected between cruises.

I “see things in my head” in the form of political cartoons sometimes.

I mentioned my allegory earlier about the Leaning Tower of Pisa falling over.

Another one I had early on I can not mention due to political subject matter, but this new one I think I can mention:

I have had this vision from the start of this being like the Miss Universe Pageant, all the different countries being announced...I’ve been thinking to myself this is like “Miss Universe gone wrong”...

Announcer:
“Mexico...” “Croatia...”Japan...”

Anyway, I just had this weird vision of the swimsuit competition, all these lovely contestants walking across the stage wearing nothing but a swimsuit and a mask.

Last edited:
I find the messaging about the virus confusing and contradictory. If a community is infected, the solution is to quarantine that community - no one can travel in or out. If a country is infected, WHO says there's no reason to block travel to and from that country.

International travel should continue, but when there is a pocket of infected people, those people should not travel. It relies entirely on trusting that people in infected areas will not transport the virus to other parts of the world, but that is exactly what happened.

My impression is that economics, rather than common sense, has governed decisions.

Ok, guys, I’ve been trying to keep up. I’m seriously worried about my SIL and nephew going on a cruise with stops in Mexico now. It’s better than Asia, but any cruise freaks me out right now.

I found this article, which states the mortality rate for flu is .1% and COVID-19 is 2.3%. Does this seem in line with what you all are finding? I want to discourage her from going. Thinking about sending this article to her.

Trump official says coronavirus death rate same as flu – despite it being 100 times bigger

Re BBM

JMO
I agree based on just looking at Italy's numbers so far which seem to closely match the death rate we have been seeing elsewhere.

This recent article says:
Italy Reports 650 Cases And 17 Deaths

and so 17/650 = 0.026 , which is 2.6%

So Italy's mortality rate based on this article seems to be close to what we have been seeing in other countries.

It of course can change if the numbers are not right or if they have not identified all the deaths or all the cases, so its hard right now until we keep getting new figures from lots of places.

The more numbers we get from other countries , the more accurate average mortality can be established.

Coronavirus Updates: Italy Reports 650 Cases And 17 Deaths

Another one I had early on I can not mention due to political subject matter, but this new one I think I can mention:

I have had this vision from the start of this being like the Miss Universe Pageant, all the different countries being announced...I’ve been thinking to myself this is like Miss Universe gone wrong.

Announcer:

Anyway, I just had this weird vision of the swimsuit competition, all these lovely contestants walking across the stage wearing nothing but a swimsuit and a mask.

Or the new Spring 2020 air hostess flight attendant uniforms will be hazmat suits. :p

Looking forward to Fall 2020 fashion week, all hazmat suits.

JerseyGirl is a busy moderator, and I hesitate to ask her. I'll get the poll together and ask her (or another moderator) to get it posted.

I can help, just let me know. I have never set up a poll but willing to learn - and as long as I am on a computer and not my phone. I cant' do anything fancy on my phone. :)

I have had this vision from the start of this being like the Miss Universe Pageant, all the different countries being announced...I’ve been thinking to myself this is like Miss Universe gone wrong.

Announcer:

Mooooogarita, I like the way you dream......moo

Another one I had early on I can not mention because due to political subject matter, but this new one I think I can mention:

I have had this vision from the start of this being like Miss Universe Pageant, all the different being announced...I’ve been thinking to myself this is like Miss Universe gone wrong.

Announcer:

Anyway, I just had this weird vision of the swimsuit competition, everybody walking across the stage wearing a swimsuit and a mask.

LOL!!! Glad you shared this. Even in the midst of a crisis, we can all use a dose of levity now and then.

When DH was on his way home last night, he called to ask if I needed anything for dinner as he planned to stop at Kroger on his way home for his staples, orange juice and milk. I suggested that fingerling potatoes and wine might be nice with our lamb chops. We chatted for several minutes about COVID-19 - he listens to MSNBC in the car. I mentioned that Websleuths members had been talking about stockpiling foods, medicines, vitamins, etc. and that I had started to compile a list of things that we should consider purchasing.

When DH got home, he had three bottles of a very nice red wine that we both enjoy. We've been having trouble getting it lately due to local distribution issues. DH set the shopping bag down on the kitchen counter and proceeded to put the wine bottles in the pantry. He said, "I'm going to start stockpiling Primal Roots in case we can't get it for a while. I'm going to buy every bottle I see in Kroger, CVS, RiteAid, Meijer." :D We both had a hearty laugh that was prompted by the wonderful members here on Websleuths who talked about stockpiling goods :) Cheers!

I find the messaging about the virus confusing and contradictory. If a community is infected, the solution is to quarantine that community - no one can travel in or out. If a country is infected, WHO says there's no reason to block travel to and from that country.

International travel should continue, but when there is a pocket of infected people, those people should not travel. It relies entirely on trusting that people in infected areas will not transport the virus to other parts of the world, but that is exactly what happened.

My impression is that economics, rather than common sense, has governed decisions.

MOO. today they have gone to risk at very high for global per WHO.

The reason they are saying this is they recognize that each country is different, and they are sensitive to that as to risk assessment.

They (WHO) will not be put in a position to say what all the world should do as to shutting down travel internationally, yet they will give each country guidance to contain or make their own decisions as an advisory agency.

They are leaving it to each country as to travel - each country should decide. And give feedback to WHO of why they are doing so. Yet within that, they are saying they think isolation has proven to be good.

Does that make sense?

ETA: Next presser by WHO will be Monday I heard at the end.

20 vaccines on trial per WHO (keep in mind that US said they would be later than others to get to market due to regulatory requirement, same thing CDC told in Senate meeting yesterday about the test kit not used when SK had done so many... they said regulatory different in US) MOO

More than 20 coronavirus vaccines are in development around the world, WHO says

“More than 20 vaccines are in development globally, and several therapeutics are in clinical trials. We expect the first results in a few weeks,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization said.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Markets take historic tumble as virus spreads - CNN

WHO upgrades global risk of virus spread to "very high"

The United Nations health agency on Friday upgraded the global risk from the new coronavirus to "very high." The World Health Organization said the continued increase in cases and countries affected was "clearly of concern".

Coronavirus live updates: Coronavirus risk upgraded to "very high" by World Health Organization as death toll mounts

“We have now increased our assessment of the risk of spread and the risk of impact of COVID-19 to very high at global level,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, said. Outside of China, there are 4,351 cases across 48 countries, including 67 deaths as of Friday morning Tedros said.“He said health officials are seeing “linked epidemics of COVID-19 in several countries, but most cases can still be traced to known contacts or clusters of cases.”

Coronavirus live updates: IMF likely to downgrade global growth, FDA sees first drug shortage

Making a note— I saw a video(s) last night on YT as I was dozing off that stated the Chinese rate of RE-infection has been 14% MOO. Meaning you recover, test negative, only to test positive again later. Anyone else see that anywhere? I think this is important. I’ll see what I can find. It might have been Canadian or South Korean news videos. I also seem to recall an article upstream about this referring to a Japanese woman, moo.

I do realize this is all “dynamic” and a lot is being learned as we speak as more data comes in.

Last edited:
MOO. today they have gone to risk at very high for global per WHO.

The reason they are saying this is they recognize that each country is different, and they are sensitive to that as to risk assessment.

They (WHO) will not be put in a position to say what all the world should do as to shutting down travel internationally, yet they will give each country guidance to contain or make their own decisions as an advisory agency.

They are leaving it to each country as to travel - each country should decide. And give feedback to WHO of why they are doing so. Yet within that, they are saying they think isolation has proven to be good.

Does that make sense?

ETA: Next presser by WHO will be Monday I heard at the end.

As much as I loooooove Dr. Tedros and Dr. Mike, I am so over watching these conferences every morning lol.

But I’m like, “can’t stop now, already come this far and watched every other one...”

Going in for the PC, sigh.

Making a note— I saw a video(s) last night on YT as I was dozing off that stated the Chinese rate of RE-infection has been 14% MOO. Meaning you recover, test negative, only to test positive again later. Anyone else see that anywhere? I think this is important. I’ll see what I can find. It might have been Canadian or South Korean news videos. I also seem to recall an article upstream about this referring to a Japanese woman, moo.

I do realize this is all “dynamic” and a lot of being learned as we speak as more data comes in.

JMO
Ive seen bits and pieces of news about possible reinfections and I am very interested in this too if we can find some accurate stories about people really getting reinfected.

I have always thought that once you caught an illness like the flu, that your body would build up antibodies to fight off the infection and so you usually cannot re-catch it until the next flu season. I am wondering why this coronavirus would be different if that is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member