Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say, this virus has been around since mid-december in China. We're now headed into March. The USA has had untold, probably tens of thousands of Chinese flying into her various airports.
We've had 0 deaths.
I personally, after doing some due diligence "stocking up", think that America is going to be okay.
Leaders, medical, businesses, scientists and more and more citizens are paying attention and taking steps to minimize a runaway outbreak.
The places I worry about are poor countries with substandard health care and large populations of uneducated people.
Just my .02 cents.

This is sure what I want to believe too! What about Iran? That sounds like a nightmare. :/

Well I do buy the candy at Macys quite often so I guess that's sort of a local support.

ETA There's a chocolate company in Lititz, PA call Wilbur Chocolate that makes darn good stuff too. My grandfather swore by them...Wilbur Buds.

LOVE Wilbur Buds! I own a store here in Alabama and we buy our caramel from there! The best.

Well I do buy the candy at Macys quite often so I guess that's sort of a local support.

ETA There's a chocolate company in Lititz, PA call Wilbur Chocolate that makes darn good stuff too. My grandfather swore by them...Wilbur Buds.

LOVE Wilbur Buds! I own a store here in Alabama and we buy our caramel from there! The best.

This is one antiviral drug that's being trialed in China right now - looks pretty promising to
me. Plant based, already FDA approved, works on SARS and Ebola, and it's cheap.

A made-in-Canada solution to the coronavirus outbreak?
The best hope for an antiviral drug may come from Michel Chrétien’s Montreal lab
by Nick Taylor-Vaisey
Feb 24, 2020

• Fifteen years ago, a medical researcher named Michel Chrétien and his longtime collaborator Majambu Mbikay, a Congolese scientist, unhatched a theory in their Montreal laboratory. In the aftermath of the SARS epidemic that infected 8,000 patients in 26 countries, Chrétien and Mbikay, researchers at the Clinical Research Institute of Montreal (IRCM), began testing their idea that a derivative of quercetin, a plant compound known to help lower cholesterol and treat inflammatory disease—and common, at low doses, in over-the-counter medication—was a “broad spectrum” antiviral drug that could fight a range of viruses.

When an Ebola outbreak struck West Africa in 2014, the two scientists teamed up with the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg to test quercetin’s effectiveness on mice infected with Ebola—and found it effective even when administered only minutes before infection. It still needs to undergo clinical trials.

But when a new global health crisis erupted in Wuhan, China late last year, Chrétien and his team once again got to thinking. They believed the drug might work on COVID-19, which has infected nearly 80,000 people and killed 2,600, according to the World Health Organization. They knew a Swiss drug manufacturer, Quercegen Pharmaceuticals, could rapidly produce doses of the treatment in the hundreds of thousands.

The 84-year-old Chrétien was, for a time, the world’s seventh most cited scientist. His name runs atop more than 600 publications and he proudly affixes an Order of Canada pin to his lapel. His achievements rival those of his older brother Jean—an impressive claim given that particular sibling served as prime minister of Canada for a decade. Michel has almost certainly saved more lives in his time.

Michel Chrétien has a long-standing connection to high-level scientists in China. While a student at Berkeley University, he received some training from a Chinese researcher, Dr. C.H. Li, an enduring connection that saw him visit and work in China eight times starting in 1979. In the 1980s, Chrétien was an honorary professor at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College. In 1984, when he started a decade-long stint as president of the IRCM, he trained emerging scientists from China there. One of those relative youngsters was Chen Zhu, a molecular biologist who, back home in China, eventually entered politics and served as minister of health from 2007 until 2013. When a novel coronavirus outbreak exploded in China this past January, Chrétien contacted Zhu with an offer: “Can we help?”

Zhu contacted officials at the highest levels of the National Health Commission, the government agency managing the crisis. Word came back to Chrétien and his team in mid-February. Last week, they invited Chrétien’s team to start clinical trials in China. The plan: send samples of quercetin to the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Wuhan. The Canadian and Chinese scientists would collaborate on the trials, which would include about 1,000 test patients. Chrétien and Mbikay plan to join colleagues from the non-profit International Consortium of Antivirals—which Chrétien co-founded with Jeremy Carver in 2004 as a response to the SARS epidemic—in manning a 24/7 communications centre as soon as clinical trials go ahead.

The U.S.-based Food and Drug Administration has already approved quercetin as safe for human consumption, which means the researchers can skip testing on animals. If the treatment works, it’ll be readily available. Now Chrétien just needs the funding to start the trials. He estimates the teams need $5 million. But the payoff, he says, could be huge.

Chrétien’s team says their treatment would cost only $2 a day. They’ve spent weeks pursuing officials at Global Affairs Canada, including senior staff in the office of Foreign Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne. The request was then flipped to Health Canada. There’s no time to waste, says Chrétien. “I’ve been doing science all my life. I’ve stumbled on things my entire career, and this is probably the most urgent one I’ve been confronted with,” he says.

Quercetin isn’t the only possible treatment for COVID-19; Nature reported that 80 clinical trials on potential treatments are underway in China. But it remains one of the biggest potential leaps in finding a treatment for the deadly coronavirus strain; if it works, it could save thousands of lives.

Chrétien, who has spent most of his extensive medical career wearing a lab coat and testing hypotheses, simply touts the benefits of academic freedom as he and his team go about their work. “Basic science is worth doing for the sake of doing it, not knowing what the results will be in the short term or medium term,” he says. “Long-term returns can be big.”

I was wondering about antivirals today. One is available for shingles and several for flu. Here is a possible one for Covid-19...

Remdesivir was originally developed to be an Ebola vaccine, but it proved less effective than was hoped against that disease. However, back in January, one COVID-19 patient who received remdesivir on a compassionate use basis saw a substantial improvement in symptoms. Since then, the Chinese government has started human trials with remdesivir, with WHO stating that clinical results would be available within weeks.

Gilead Antiviral Drug Shows the Most Potential for COVID-19, Says WHO Official | The Motley Fool

I agree the virus didn’t just show up on our door step. If it was severe in China, and this is an international world, the virus, most likely, was present in the US earlier than thought, confused with a flu virus. If you recall, the flu supposedly was worse this year than in past years.
I know. I had it. It was a rough few weeks.

My community leaders are just whatever dingbat ran for office and managed to get in. lol I'm not listening to any gossip mongers either. I'm reading actual sources like the CDC, listening to the WHO, watching the daily statistics coming in from around the world, reading the insane amount of news coming in daily from around the world from major news source. I prefer to think for myself.

It's totally ok if you are an optimist. I'm ok with that. It's probably great to be that way. But I think it's also ok for others of us to look at the news and find it concerning. Especially when world leaders are telling us this is very concerning. That's not listening to gossip mongers. We aren't sitting around listening to Alex Jones here and running with whatever he says.

Best post. Thank you!

I totally agree.

Plus, if people are spending money on groceries and sanitizer, at least those items will be used, saving them money from having to buy the items later.

If people are truly panicking and spending beyond their means, I would assume that is a very low number and speaks to their own personal mental health more than it does the overall global economy.

jmo

Congratulations on your cancer survival!!!

To answer your post, I wouldn’t call what you are seeing on this thread as panic, but more as active planning and brainstorming. I’m certainly not panicking...I think that’s a waste of emotional energy that could be put to better use being prepared. I consider myself an optimist, and I think it’s easier to be optimistic when you have taken reasonable precautions. My husband and I have had emergency “Go-bags” and “shelter in place” supplies gathered for some years. We live in earthquake and wildfire country near a major interstate, so preparation seems prudent. Rather than raid our go-bags, I will inventory our supplies in the basement and see if I need to add anything in case we need to isolate ourselves. I know I need to restock cough medicine, canned and dry food, wipes and hand sanitizer for general use, etc. so I’ll do that and be good to go (or stay :)).

I think the market tanking is due to stockholders selling in a panic, which I think is really stupid personally (and we do own...and are not selling...stocks). If anything, I would hazard a guess that lack of confidence in the way the government is handling this is contributing to panicky selling. As far as possible economic downturn, that will be a domino effect trickling down to smaller businesses IMO. Large companies such as Google and Amazon are taking prudent precautions and this will impact lots of other businesses, but no one wants to be blamed for exposing people to COVID-19. Rock meet hard place.
JMO MOO
Cheers from my half full glass to yours!

Unfortunately, some aspects of the economy are already starting to slow down. This is affecting domestic flights as well as international.

Amazon halts all employee travel, Google adds new restrictions due to coronavirus

In an unexpected move, both Amazon and Google announced new restrictions Friday on employee travel due to concerns over coronavirus and COVID-19, the illness the virus causes.

Amazon has asked all of its 798,000 employees to stop all nonessential travel, both domestic and internationally, immediately, according to an Amazon spokesperon. This is after Amazon already restricted employee travel to China earlier this month.

Last edited:
SBM

I may even try to use the emoji running around panicking .

(It’s also possible you will see me on the news wearing a giraffe costume.... or maybe you already have....;))

Yes I'll be looking for you.
I had long forgotten how charming the giraffe is,
long since, Jerome the Giraffe, hung out in the Friendly Giant's castle.

I am grateful for Websleuths, for years it has been where I go for info about cases that concern me but those around me may not even know about. It is refreshing to find other people who care deeply about a missing person case or murder that I want to follow, who want to share ideas and knowledge about the same issues/cases that haunt my mind.
This thread has been helpful, sometimes I have thoughts that seem overboard (pandemic shopping..) and it is comforting to read your posts and know I am not the only one.
Right now it is so hard for me not to ask what might be considered political posting.
This is where I go for info and opinions and knowledge about new things.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for your posts.

BBM

All due respect Wicked- I do no share your same thoughts.

I’m not sure where you are located. Maybe that does or doesn’t affect your perspective. As for me, if you were in my shoes it’s possible you may have a different perspective. When this thing is firmly in your neighborhood it brings things home a bit.

As for trusting our “leaders”... it depends on how good your leaders are IMO. My “leaders” in California have so far failed to test over 8,000 people sitting around being monitored. That does not inspire trust.

Also, for the record, I have not found the vast vast majority of posters stoking doom and gloom on this thread. I’ve personally found it very informative and well balanced with lots of people sharing great ideas for quarantine, should such a situation ever arise.

And for some of us that situation is knocking on our door sooner than later. I’m grateful to have had the info that’s been shared here- I can pick preparation actions as I personally see fit or appropriate to my needs.

I’ve also enjoyed the levity here. Not doom and gloom at all as far as I’m concerned.

JMO.
Bravo and Amen!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members