Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister-in -law is stuck in China. She went over just before all this broke to visit relatives and celebrate the New Year. My brother said they are safe; sequestered in their home and only going out if absolutely necessary. He believes that it will be at least another month if not longer before she will be able to come back.

In-law family member is in same situation. They were told they had to get out of China within 24 hours... they went to Taiwan, and state dept (who took them out of mainland) said on February 3rd to expect to stay for 3-4 months.

It's a difficult choice. My teen daughter was mortified about our isolation decision but I'm not taking chances
I don’t want the change of getting this virus and exposing my husband. I couldn’t live with myself if I did.
It’s highly unlikely I will attend the upcoming event.

It was announced in the news, the student was doing fine, but I like to know when this was reported to Washington State health officials and how soon the public was notified.

Maybe those bottles some of the Chinese were seen wearing over their heads are not such a bad idea.

I bought face shields from Amazon.

And regular surgical masks with attached face shields.

I'm not going to pretend my reading glasses are going to protect my upper face if someone is sneezing and coughing.

I just had to tell one of our technical assistants that turning his head while he was coughing was not enough. (He's a smoker who coughs a lot!)
I told him to put a large box of tissues within reach and ONLY cough into a tissue then discard. He didn't think he needed to use tissues and told me vaping was "really dangerous" while he is likely a chain smoker.
People in the work area are good at pointing out people who are "hot boxing" in the parking lot - chain smoking in their cars on breaks such that you can see clouds of smoke inside the car.

CDC director says Americans are safe, no problems. No need for domestic travel restrictions at this time. Answer was in response to reporter's question about whether travel to west coast/northern Cal should be restricted.

Looks like Redfield has some controversy in his past, some due to concerns about profiteering.

Robert R. Redfield - Wikipedia

I am slightly worried about letters through the post if the postman was carrying the virus it could be on the envelopes.
Just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds after handling the mail or any other public objects. Make sure to get under your fingernails and around your cuticles.

Interesting article from 2 weeks ago, which I believe is regarding this patient in Washington who eventually died:

EMTs not warned of transporting possible coronavirus patient in Seattle

“Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) who work for American Medical Response (AMR) ambulance company have expressed outrage and frustration after two EMTs transported a patient with possible novel coronavirus(COVID-19) but weren’t warned of the danger.

Public Health – Seattle & King County called for the transport on Saturday. The county alerted AMR that the patient was possibly infected with COVID-19. But that important message never made it to the first responders.

[...]

Another EMT commented: “This is….such a horrendously neglectful job of communication….this should not be happening again. This should not have happened in the first place.”

February 14, 2020

In-law family member is in same situation. They were told they had to get out of China within 24 hours... they went to Taiwan, and state dept (who took them out of mainland) said on February 3rd to expect to stay for 3-4 months.
Let's hope that they come home sooner than later, and that they stay safe and healthy. (Imagine a heart emoji right here.)

“AMR employees took to a closed Facebook group this week. Dozens of comments were aimed at their employer for the communication failure.

“The communication breakdown is dangerous and could worsen the chance of spreading this disease,” one EMT wrote.

Another EMT commented: “This is….such a horrendously neglectful job of communication….this should not be happening again. This should not have happened in the first place.”

“It was super upsetting. We’re angry. It makes me feel like they don’t care about us. Like we’re just disposable,” said another EMT in a telephone interview, who did not want to be identified.”

February 14, 2020

CDC is supposed to be leading the way and setting standards and guidelines for this. It's a shame they're not getting this done.

ETA: CDC chief says deceased US patient may have contacted virus from "community spread" not travel.

BBM

Ugh, this is a mess. My heart goes out to the family who lost a loved one whether male, female, elderly or teen. I'm going to go work in the garden. I really hope and pray our leaders can get their act together. This is so overwhelming.

I can only imagine what this is like for you, Oregonmama, being so close to home. My teens would probably be embarrassed if I did the same thing. I know someone else in your town quarantining themselves as well. I think y'all are making wise decisions!

Funny story, my son works at Home Depot, and there are NO masks available for dry wall, painting or any other activity.

Zip. He is going to be on the news, as they are doing a special on Coronavirus and "preppers".
This is unfortunate. People still need to work, and do so safely, since there's plenty to that can harm you in addition to a virus. I hope we can start some manufacturing here.

Just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds after handling the mail or any other public objects. Make sure to get under your fingernails and around your cuticles.

I just had a discussion with my husband about this very issue. If you sing, "Happy Birthday" while washing your hands, that is about how long you should be washing your hands for.

We used to sing a chorus of "Happy Birthday" back in the day while washing our hands. (Not out loud.) It was a way to make sure we washed them long enough. :)

CDC director says Americans are safe, no problems. No need for domestic travel restrictions at this time. Answer was in response to reporter's question about whether travel to west coast/northern Cal should be restricted.

Looks like Redfield has some controversy in his past, some due to concerns about profiteering.

Robert R. Redfield - Wikipedia
This is a shame, but not surprising.

I just had a discussion with my husband about this very issue. If you sing, "Happy Birthday" while washing your hands, that is about how long you should be washing your hands for.
Hahaha....I actually typed that, then deleted it. I thought you all might think I'm crazy! It's a good tip for children too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia