Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband has lost about 65 pounds in the last two years. (He was a pretty big guy). Probably because he no longer hangs out with his friends, eating breakfast out. Or going out to dinner. The poor guy has had to eat at home.

Hubby and I used to go out for breakfast four times a week to IHOP- love their pancakes--- since we no longer do that I haVe lost weight. Those breakfasts are so darn good- one could definitely gain weight eating breakfast out, that 's for sure: I miss it terribly.

International travelers catch a break as FDA extends expiration date for at-home COVID-19 test - The Points Guy

If I am reading this correctly, then the self-test kits that expired in December are now good until March. That is, the expiration date has been extended to 15-months from the production date by Abbott for the home self-tests.

I'm glad I didn't throw my three kits away when they expired, because it looks like now that the FDA has given Abbott's test a new expiration window of 15 months from production, based on Abbott's studies of how long their tests are effective.

I think I'll call Abbott tomorrow with the lot numbers of my kits just to be sure. If so, that would be a big help since these kits aren't readily available right now.

On Face the Nation this week, Dr. Scott Gottlieb mentioned in passing that it is good that Abbott has extended the shelf life of its test kits, however he didn't elaborate. I had not seen this in the news anywhere, so googled it and found this article, linked above.

Hubby and I used to go out for breakfast four times a week to IHOP- love their pancakes--- since we no longer do that I haVe lost weight. Those breakfasts are so darn good- one could definitely gain weight eating breakfast out, that 's for sure: I miss it terribly.

IHOP, yet another "restaurant casualty" here. They went out of business here last year. Along with so many others.

A local restaurant business had just expanded with a second breakfast spot, that went out of business too, just the 2nd place, not the original.

According to an article from the Nebraska Medicine, mask materials that have high filtering efficiency in theory work best in combating the omicron surge, but fit is especially important.

Several studies have found that a multi-layer cloth mask can have effective filtration efficiency that is just as high as KN95s or other high-filtration masks, according to the article

Cloth, KN95 or N95 Masks? Chicago's Top Doctor Explains Which Best Protects From Omicron

I'm still going to use my 3 layer plus filter masks for every day use and KN95s for crowded situations. I can't stand having the KN95 on all day.
I sit at work all day with a surgical mask (knotted loops to improve fit) with double-layer cotton cloth mask over it. The KN-95s give me a very itchy rash if I wear them too much. I still put them on for up-close or crowded events like eye doctor or grocery shopping. The information you have shared is reassuring.

Beijing locks down office building weeks before Olympics over single Omicron case - CNN

Hong Kong (CNN)At an office building in China's capital on Sunday, masked Covid control personnel lugged boxes of pillows and bedding through the closely guarded entrance for white collar workers stuck inside, preparing for what may be days of lockdown as Beijing rushes to prevent the spread of Omicron ahead of the Winter Olympics.

The snap lockdown meant the building in the west of the city was sealed off without advance warning, with everybody inside unable to leave and subject to compulsory Covid testing. The decision to lock the office down came after an employee tested positive for Omicron on Saturday -- the city's first recorded case of the highly transmissible variant.

That it is--I cringe looking at all those people crammed together
screaming for hours--- All I can think of are the droplets they
are spewing forth every time they yell and scream and it almost
makes me want to puke!!!

not just droplets, COVID is airborne!
So whoever yells, sneezes, and coughs unless there's a HEPA filter or great ventilation it's hovering around afterward.

Beijing locks down office building weeks before Olympics over single Omicron case - CNN

Hong Kong (CNN)At an office building in China's capital on Sunday, masked Covid control personnel lugged boxes of pillows and bedding through the closely guarded entrance for white collar workers stuck inside, preparing for what may be days of lockdown as Beijing rushes to prevent the spread of Omicron ahead of the Winter Olympics.

The snap lockdown meant the building in the west of the city was sealed off without advance warning, with everybody inside unable to leave and subject to compulsory Covid testing. The decision to lock the office down came after an employee tested positive for Omicron on Saturday -- the city's first recorded case of the highly transmissible variant.

How long will they be locked up? I can't find that in the article.

IHOP, yet another "restaurant casualty" here. They went out of business here last year. Along with so many others.

A local restaurant business had just expanded with a second breakfast spot, that went out of business too, just the 2nd place, not the original.

yep--- so many restaurants went out early in the pandemic---here
in Fort Myers Applebees went out really fast and Rusty's Raw Bar--
was a great place too --- just so sad that so many mom and pop
restaurants went out too

Cost of masks and tests deepens a pandemic wedge between the haves and the have-nots (nbcnews.com)

For some, the added financial burden of N95 masks and rapid tests is an irritation but still affordable. To others, it is an economic impossibility.

In recent weeks, as the omicron variant spread rapidly across the United States, Americans have found that the financial costs of the pandemic are increasingly falling on their shoulders.

As Covid-19 cases have climbed, public health experts have urged people to dump their cloth masks in favor of higher-quality options and to test more frequently to curb the virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday updated its mask guidance to note that the disposable N95 or KN95 masks offer the "highest level of protection" against the virus...
I could absolutely see this as being a financial burden for many. Especially someone working for lower pay but having to go into the public, thus needing a lot of masks and tests.

I just now fully stocked up on Kn95s and on home rapid tests. I spent 240 bucks on Amazon getting fully stocked, not counting the 180 I spent to buy same things for my kids/grandkids.

This is insane!

@Midgie2, thinking of you today and hoping you are still testing negative for COVID and experiencing no symptoms. Also hoping your husband is doing as well as possible. Sending good thoughts and vibes across the country straight to you.

Last edited:
can you order to go/take out to support the local struggling businesses?
Some rely on alcohol sales especially with rising prices and two years of supply chain issues. We lost several even with community support, high cost low profit margin business. My friends has just opened their place in December 2019 and permanently closed this month.
JMO

So far so good here. I have no symptoms. Hubby is upstairs (day 2) and says he’s just very tired, has a cough once in awhile.
My onco wanted me to come in and take a rapid test. I declined for now. I have quite a few at home tests. I tested negative yesterday.
Onco also wanted me to continue my chemo treatment on Thursday this week. I told her I don’t think that’s prudent considering hubby has Covid, and I’m the one who’s feeding him. (I just put his meals on the table next to the closed door). I don’t need to be tending to hubby and having chemo. I realize that she’s a dr and wants these treatments done so that I get the full effect but come on! Anyway, it’s rescheduled.
Thank You for all your good wishes and prayers!!!! Truly appreciate each and every one.

Please stay safe all!

As much as I enjoy watching Olympic coverage, I am concerned about the safety of all of the athletes, coaches, and dignitaries who will travel from nations all over the world to the 2022 Winter Games in Bejing. Omicron spreads rapidly, and even those who are fully vaccinated and boosted appear to be vulnerable. I don't know how the virus can be contained with competitors coming from so many different countries with varying degrees of illness and methods of controlling the spread of the rampant virus.

As much as I enjoy watching Olympic coverage, I am concerned about the safety of all of the athletes, coaches, and dignitaries who will travel from nations all over the world to the 2022 Winter Games in Bejing. Omicron spreads rapidly, and even those who are fully vaccinated and boosted appear to be vulnerable. I don't know how the virus can be contained with competitors coming from so many different countries with varying degrees of illness and methods of controlling the spread of the rampant virus.[/QUOTE

it’s just greed. This will be a disaster. My hubby is triple vaxxed, wears masks, avoids crowds, etc. and he got Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesspi