Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If another shot of our current vaccines isn't going to help against Omicron, why don't we have another vaccine on the horizon? Or, already here?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/10/omi...-march-experts-warn-it-could-be-too-late.html

An omicron-specific Covid vaccine will be ready by March but some experts warn it could be “too late” due to the variant’s highly transmissible nature.

On Monday, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla told CNBC that its vaccine with BioNTech that targets omicron — and other variants that are currently circulating — will be ready for distribution by spring and that the company has already started manufacturing doses.

But an omicron-targeted vaccine was needed in December, says Dr. William Moss, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “It still could be valuable but I do think in many ways, it’s too late” for the current omicron wave, Moss says.
The reason current vaccines don't work well against Omicron is because Omicron is a mutated form of an original virus. To create vaccines against variants before the variants show up, one would need to predict how original virus is going to mutate. And there are lots of ways it mutated, so you also need to predict which mutant is going to spread. None of which is easy or even possible with any degree of certainty. I believe army is working on an Universal vaccine that should work against many corona viruses, but not sure what the progress of that one is.

I'm so sorry Fika! Do you have someone at home who can help you with meals? Please keep us posted on how your doing if you feel up to it.

Yes my boyfriend is doing everything around the house at the moment. He is still negative and asymptomatic. I can’t seem to bring fever down it’s always between 38.3 to 37.7 no matter of medication. Body aches are concentrated around the knees now which is very natural place for me to have pains with fever even in cold and flu. Thank you for your concern :)

Thank you:)
It’s been tough , mostly before the vaccinations I could not help it but work the entire time. I knew that I will get it eventually. I was prepared mentally for it and tried to take care of my general health. I hoped that it would be slightly milder then it is, now I can only hope that it will go away sooner then later.

Will be thinking of you and hoping you recover soon

I was in the dentist's office yesterday unmasked for an hour and a half for a procedure and was scheduled to go back today for a cleaning.

During my appointment I asked about Covid, was told one dental assistant had had it.

Got a text not to come in today for the cleaning because the employee who was going to do the cleaning tested positive for Covid.

I got worried that maybe this dental assistant had worked on me yesterday. Very vulnerable with your mouth wide open.

Luckily she didn't come in yesterday as she felt ill and stayed home and got tested.

If she had worked on me yesterday I would be calling my doctor about testing. Find out what my doctor recommends for testing.

Always ask if anyone in the office has or has had Covid!

We get a lot of questions about that at my office. Both if we have some people in isolation right now or vaccinated. Unfortunately infection tracking is non existent anymore because of so many cases but we do have a responsibility to inform patients about current covid situation. We also test on home tests before going to work. It’s my dental’s office policy right now , it’s voluntarily but we do that. Dental offices are really tricky because one can’t have a mask on but always ask personnel about cases or vaccination status and make sure that the dentist is wearing mask properly don’t be afraid to make a comment if you feel they don’t wear it well.

We get a lot of questions about that at my office. Both if we have some people in isolation right now or vaccinated. Unfortunately infection tracking is non existent anymore because of so many cases but we do have a responsibility to inform patients about current covid situation. We also test on home tests before going to work. It’s my dental’s office policy right now , it’s voluntarily but we do that. Dental offices are really tricky because one can’t have a mask on but always ask personnel about cases or vaccination status and make sure that the dentist is wearing mask properly don’t be afraid to make a comment if you feel they don’t wear it well.
I am postponing my dental cleaning until omicron wave goes down. Which hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

I am postponing my dental cleaning until omicron wave goes down. Which hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

Many people do right now . We advise our older clients or risk groups to wait with cleanings and smaller things until cases go down. In Sweden right now we are reaching peak and it’s risky to go anywhere really.

edited to say its okay to postpone small dental things like cleanings or moving check up. Never postpone bigger issues mostly with pain involved.

Yes my boyfriend is doing everything around the house at the moment. He is still negative and asymptomatic. I can’t seem to bring fever down it’s always between 38.3 to 37.7 no matter of medication. Body aches are concentrated around the knees now which is very natural place for me to have pains with fever even in cold and flu. Thank you for your concern :)
Yea for a good boyfriend. I hope you feel better soon, a fever is just the pits. Take care.

Thanks for coming on the thread with your experiences.

I did check the masks of the dentist and dental assistant to see how they were wearing them and they wore them correctly. I felt so vulnerable with my mouth wedged wide open with a bite plate, a unique situation in this time of wanting to keep a mask on.

You just know that you are so vulnerable at the dentist.

Thanks for coming on the thread with your experiences.

I did check the masks of the dentist and dental assistant to see how they were wearing them and they wore them correctly. I felt so vulnerable with my mouth wedged wide open with a bite plate, a unique situation in this time of wanting to keep a mask on.

You just know that you are so vulnerable at the dentist.

It is really vulnerable situation and that’s why we try to make it as safe as possible for a patient. We follow lots of protocols with hygiene and testings and masks wearing. I know for a fact that is not the case everywhere, it’s what I have heard from some patients who changed dentists because of wrong mask wearing or not informing them about stuff testing positive. Stay safe and make sure that the dental office follows everything well . If in doubt change them and never be afraid to ask. I have been asked to double mask or triple before appointment. It is not a problem to follow up with patient’s safety concerns.

It is really vulnerable situation and that’s why we try to make it as safe as possible for a patient. We follow lots of protocols with hygiene and testings and masks wearing. I know for a fact that is not the case everywhere, it’s what I have heard from some patients who changed dentists because of wrong mask wearing or not informing them about stuff testing positive. Stay safe and make sure that the dental office follows everything well . If in doubt change them and never be afraid to ask. I have been asked to double mask or triple before appointment. It is not a problem to follow up with patient’s safety concerns.

One thing that really mattered to me was the receptionist's attitude towards my questions. It's the person answering the dentist's phones that give the crucial information.

The person I talked to couldn't have been nicer and made me feel safe in their office. In fact, I'm going to let them and the dentist know I appreciate it next time I am in.

Good to compliment people not just complain.

I hate having a fever! On the upside, the fever is your body's attempt to fight the virus. It unpleasant I know. :( Try not to bundle up in blankets too much if you can help it. That will only increase your temperature. Drink generous amounts of un-caffeinated fluids. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

I hate having a fever! On the upside, the fever is your body's attempt to fight the virus. It unpleasant I know. :( Try not to bundle up in blankets too much if you can help it. That will only increase your temperature. Drink generous amounts of un-caffeinated fluids. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

Spoken like a true nurse!

I was in the dentist's office yesterday unmasked for an hour and a half for a procedure and was scheduled to go back today for a cleaning.

During my appointment I asked about Covid, was told one dental assistant had had it.

Got a text not to come in today for the cleaning because the employee who was going to do the cleaning tested positive for Covid.

I got worried that maybe this dental assistant had worked on me yesterday. Very vulnerable with your mouth wide open. I called and asked them.

Luckily she didn't come in yesterday as she felt ill and stayed home and got tested.

If she had worked on me yesterday I would be calling my doctor about testing. Find out what my doctor recommends for testing.

Always ask if anyone in the office has or has had Covid!

Also, always feel free to call ahead to ask about employees being vaccinated. If the medical office won't answer do not use them!

I knew the employees at my dental office were vaccinated. Knowledge is power...use it!

Thanks for this information. My husband needs to see our dentist urgently due to a problem tooth, so will keep all this in mind. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper