Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our daughter, fully vaccinated and boosted, tested positive today. :(
Right now she is only experiencing a very sore throat and headache. I pray that is the extent of what she will experience. She is an adult, no longer living at home, so we have not been around her for a couple weeks. She is pretty certain she contracted it at work since a couple co-workers had it last week.

I'm so sorry about your daughter. Hoping for a quick and easy recovery.

For the past several weeks, everyone I personally know, testing positive is fully vaccinated and boosted.

My boyfriend started to have dry cough and tickle in this throat yesterday night on my day 7. He tested positive this morning on my day 8. I hoped that he will not get it after a week seemed like a long time. Average is 3-5 days. It shows that it might take a while to some people who might isolate after close contacts .
Oh goodness Fika! I'm sorry your boyfriend has caught it. It's difficult when we live in the same household as others not to share this blasted virus.
Earlier I had reported that I had a terrible headache for three days and decided to be tested. My home test was negative and the PCR test I had done was negative. I still have a mild headache. Today my husband woke up with a mild cough, congestion, a sore throat and a temperature of 100 degrees. His home test was negative. We drove to our medical offices this morning for a drive through PCR test. It will take a day or two to get results. I'm hoping it's just a cold virus.

They just showed up. They are iHealth antigen rapid test. Use by date of 2022-06-26, made in China.

Well, how in the world did a company located in China receive an award for a federal US contract?

It appears iHealth received the largest contact awarded by the DOD, 1.3 billions dollars. Our US companies were awarded less than half combined.
Test Makers Led by iHealth Labs to Get $2 Billion in U.S. Deal (1)

The U.S. agreed to spend $1.3 billion to buy Covid test kits from iHealth Labs Inc., $340 million from Roche Diagnostics Corp., and $306 million from Abbott Rapid Dx North America, Defense Department officials said Friday.

The department announced the agreements Thursday to buy a combined 380 million tests from the three manufacturers without saying how much it planned to spend.

AND iHealth has suspended its customer service line due to overwhelming volume.

iHealth Customer Service | Technical Support | Order Inquiries

Dear customers, we value your satisfaction and voice. Tell us any problems you meet here, and we will solve your problem ASAP. However, due to COVID-19 pandemic and drastically increased demands on our products, our customer service response time will be longer than usual and our customer service call center is temporarily suspended. We thank for your understanding.

What's is going on with our federal contracting system? 1.3 billion to a foreign entity with no customer service line.

Nope, we're never getting over Covid, no mask, no test kits and no monoclonal antibodies. Is there even a Covid task force or someone heading up the response other than vaccines? I'm fully vaccinated and boosted and would be last on the list for monoclonal antibodies. Nope, no more vaccine for me, better care with out it.

All Moo....

Last edited:
During COVID, people take their anger out on health care workers

As a doctor during the pandemic, I've needed security guards and been accused of lying

As a pulmonary and critical care physician in Southern California treating hospitalized patients with COVID-19, I am noticing a rising tension. Beyond just being overwhelmed, we are now part of the collateral damage.

I recently asked a security guard to accompany me and an ICU nurse to meet the family of an unvaccinated 42-year-old firefighter who refused to accept that COVID-19 caused his respiratory failure. Adamantly refusing intubation despite worsening over weeks, it was only when his oxygen levels precipitously dropped and he complained of excruciating breathlessness that he accepted a breathing tube.

A dozen irate family members and friends now demanded answers. Because of visitation restrictions to limit contagion, they awaited me in lawn chairs outside the hospital. Through my N95 mask, I tried to explain in simple terms what was happening to their loved one.

They hectored with incessant questions about test results, accusations of mistreatment and demands for therapies like vitamins, ivermectin and sedatives.

Warning repeatedly “not to lie,” they recorded me with their camera phones. I tiptoed through a minefield of distrust. My careful medical explanations and efforts to connect empathically never landed. After 45 minutes, the three of us walked back into the hospital. The nurse, an ICU veteran of 20 years, sighed and said: “I can’t believe they attacked you like that.”

Oh goodness Fika! I'm sorry your boyfriend has caught it. It's difficult when we live in the same household as others not to share this blasted virus.
Earlier I had reported that I had a terrible headache for three days and decided to be tested. My home test was negative and the PCR test I had done was negative. I still have a mild headache. Today my husband woke up with a mild cough, congestion, a sore throat and a temperature of 100 degrees. His home test was negative. We drove to our medical offices this morning for a drive through PCR test. It will take a day or two to get results. I'm hoping it's just a cold virus.

I hope that it’s just a cold ! Fingers crossed it won’t be covid. I expected him to get it but honestly by day 7 (daytime) when he still felt fine I thought he would be the lucky one and not get it. By the nighttime when he started to cough I was like yeah you got it now. It’s good that your husband done pcr test , the home tests need some time to pick it up. Mine first one was negative although I had strong symptoms. Let’s hope it’s negative!

As a doctor during the pandemic, I've needed security guards and been accused of lying

As a pulmonary and critical care physician in Southern California treating hospitalized patients with COVID-19, I am noticing a rising tension. Beyond just being overwhelmed, we are now part of the collateral damage.

I recently asked a security guard to accompany me and an ICU nurse to meet the family of an unvaccinated 42-year-old firefighter who refused to accept that COVID-19 caused his respiratory failure. Adamantly refusing intubation despite worsening over weeks, it was only when his oxygen levels precipitously dropped and he complained of excruciating breathlessness that he accepted a breathing tube.

A dozen irate family members and friends now demanded answers. Because of visitation restrictions to limit contagion, they awaited me in lawn chairs outside the hospital. Through my N95 mask, I tried to explain in simple terms what was happening to their loved one.

They hectored with incessant questions about test results, accusations of mistreatment and demands for therapies like vitamins, ivermectin and sedatives.

Warning repeatedly “not to lie,” they recorded me with their camera phones. I tiptoed through a minefield of distrust. My careful medical explanations and efforts to connect empathically never landed. After 45 minutes, the three of us walked back into the hospital. The nurse, an ICU veteran of 20 years, sighed and said: “I can’t believe they attacked you like that.”

Our hospitals and staff should have zero tolerance for behavior like this. In situations like the one described, if family and friends don't know how to behave and respect the staff that are working to save the life of their family and friend, the medical staff should exit after giving the barest of info, just say they (the patient) are critical and further updates will be given via an email/text to address or phone number of their choice.

My mum is a nurse and she works with covid patients not intensive care. She has been verbally attacked and lied to about vaccination status. It’s shameful how people behave I honestly have been disappointed and lost a lot of respect for people during this pandemic.

Our hospitals and staff should have zero tolerance for behavior like this. In situations like the one described, if family and friends don't know how to behave and respect the staff that are working to save the life of their family and friend, the medical staff should exit after giving the barest of info, just say they (the patient) are critical and further updates will be given via an email/text to address or phone number of their choice.

Right. Shouldn't sit there outside being recorded by multiple phones for 45 minutes while being hectored and accused of mistreatment. Leave. Talk to one person inside the hospital briefly - under those circumstances.

My mum is a nurse and she works with covid patients not intensive care. She has been verbally attacked and lied to about vaccination status. It’s shameful how people behave I honestly have been disappointed and lost a lot of respect for people during this pandemic.
I often think so far this is my biggest personal loss during the pandemic - I trust and respect so few people any longer. It's sad, I'm generally an optimist, but this mass psychosis that has evolved during a world wide pandemic is devastating to me.

My brother, who first tested positive on the 12th after two weeks of coughing and negative tests, tested negative again after 7 days. His cough subsided during that time. He and his wife both had Covid with flu-like symptoms last spring. Back then hers was delayed by 3-4 days, but this time she didn't get it (it's been 12 days).

Luckily the pregnant lady who was on a ventilator (my brother's coworker's wife) at the beginning of the year has been taken off of it and is improving. She is due to give birth to twins in April.

Remember when health care professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists) were considered hero's at the beginning of the pandemic? Oh how things change.

That's terrible Fika! The very people who are there to SAVE LIVES are being attacked. Shameful! Please thank your mother for me. She is doing wonderful, thankless work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often think so far this is my biggest personal loss during the pandemic - I trust and respect so few people any longer. It's sad, I'm generally an optimist, but this mass psychosis that has evolved during a world wide pandemic is devastating to me.

There is another side to it where good people have stepped up to the plate. Those stories don't make it into the news.

3 teenagers who stepped up to help others during pandemic

These three teenagers have stepped up to help others during the COVID-19 pandemic by delivering food, helping seniors with technology and providing homemade air filters.

Sacramento 'Fly Market' helps small businesses thrive during the pandemic

You've heard of a flea market, but have you heard of the new "Fly Market" in the capital city? It's a free, family-friendly event that organizers say is helping small businesses thrive during the pandemic.

AAT4n6y.img

"It's been a little over a year now, our first event was in the middle of the pandemic back in 2020… kind of a one-off pop-up just to try to see what we could do and accomplish in this climate and the way things are going during the pandemic," Joseph Deelsohn, co-founder of the Fly Market said. The market was the brainchild of some local DJs looking to help Sacramento have fun, all while helping small businesses keep their cash flow going.

Right. Shouldn't sit there outside being recorded by multiple phones for 45 minutes while being hectored and accused of mistreatment. Leave. Talk to one person inside the hospital briefly - under those circumstances.
There are some medical professionals who really make a great deal of effort to try to explain to patients and families what is happening and why. These are the good doctors.
How many times do we have a doctor that barely gives their patient the time of day? I think the focus here should be on the inappropriate behavior of the family.

I commend this mans family. I have the full expectation any and all physicians and nurses to discuss and answer any and all questions concerning my care or my family member's. To be forced to wait outside a hospital seeking answers is unacceptable. Moo..

This was a problem with my neighbor. She's in her 60s, a kidney transplant patient and developed Covid in May 2020. (I discussed in early thread, as this unfolded). After being admitted to the local hospital her daughter called repeatedly to inquire about treatment. The local critical care physician became irritated the first call from her daughter ask questions about her mothers care. She was repeatedly total, no to requests for blood gases, kidney functions and other test, via phone. The physician REFUSED to transfer her mother to UVA, even when presented with a notarized medical POA, where her transplant team was located, refused to return all calls to the UVA physicians and team. All while the daughter battled illness at home. She knew her mother would die.

We the neighbors jumped in, hearing the story while delivering food, we quickly made phones calls. We called our physicians, council members, attorney and news media friends begging for help, as hours ticked away. After many phone calls, and much pressure from hospital administration, the physician agreed to the transfer.

Most don't realize how much power physicians and hospitals have over a person's care. Most physicians are great, kind, wonderful and compassionate individuals.... But there is always the 3%, who don't fall into this category. I would say, any and all working in healthcare have experienced situations of less than the best medical treatment. Moo....

Last edited:
I never would have imagined that so many people could be susceptible to conspiracy theories and could get so easily swayed by the anti-science rhetoric. Lack of information, science and health literacy had devastating consequences for too many.

I find it interesting the family wasn't interviewed. Was this the only way to get answers?
Moo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member