Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, how in the world did a company located in China receive an award for a federal US contract?

It appears iHealth received the largest contact awarded by the DOD, 1.3 billions dollars. Our US companies were awarded less than half combined.
Test Makers Led by iHealth Labs to Get $2 Billion in U.S. Deal (1)

The U.S. agreed to spend $1.3 billion to buy Covid test kits from iHealth Labs Inc., $340 million from Roche Diagnostics Corp., and $306 million from Abbott Rapid Dx North America, Defense Department officials said Friday.

The department announced the agreements Thursday to buy a combined 380 million tests from the three manufacturers without saying how much it planned to spend.

AND iHealth has suspended its customer service line due to overwhelming volume.

iHealth Customer Service | Technical Support | Order Inquiries

Dear customers, we value your satisfaction and voice. Tell us any problems you meet here, and we will solve your problem ASAP. However, due to COVID-19 pandemic and drastically increased demands on our products, our customer service response time will be longer than usual and our customer service call center is temporarily suspended. We thank for your understanding.

What's is going on with our federal contracting system? 1.3 billion to a foreign entity with no customer service line.

Nope, we're never getting over Covid, no mask, no test kits and no monoclonal antibodies. Is there even a Covid task force or someone heading up the response other than vaccines? I'm fully vaccinated and boosted and would be last on the list for monoclonal antibodies. Nope, no more vaccine for me, better care with out it.

All Moo....

I guess we all need to contact our elected officials over our need for Covid supplies.

I commend this mans family. I have the full expectation any and all physicians and nurses to discuss and answer any and all questions concerning my care or my family member's. To be forced to wait outside a hospital seeking answers is unacceptable. Moo..
Sbm

I'm sorry, I don't agree.

Yes of course the family should ask all the questions they feel are necessary until they are satisfied.

But first, they were forced to wait outside because of Covid visitation restrictions, according to the article. Not because of cruelty on the part of the health care workers.

Second, the article spoke of the family being abusive and accusatory, not just asking all the questions they had. They were also demanding unapproved treatments as well as refusing the doctor's advice to intubate their relative.

I know doctors are imperfect and some are irritable, but why even take your loved one to a hospital if you don't think the doctor knows what he or she is doing?

As @LaborDayRN mentioned, I do remember last year when we banged pots and pans and cheered for the health care workers, 7 PM every night.

IMO it's not the fault of doctors and nurses that Covid is still with us.

Now that we are a couple of months into the easing of our restrictions, all of our states are starting to see the benefits of the vaccinations.

Of the ......

.5 - 1.5% of infected people who become so ill that they need ICU facilities

0 - .1% of infected people who pass away

.... the great majority of people in these categories are unvaccinated (and we have very few unvaccinated people here).

"So, for example, of 780 unvaccinated Covid cases in the 70-to-79 age group, there were 171 people who either died or ended up in ICU, giving a severe outcome rate of 21.9%, compared with a rate of 1.8% for vaccinated people."
Australia has had its deadliest day yet of the pandemic – here’s what we know about who is dying

Australia records 58 Covid deaths; Hunt says ‘hoarding’ affecting rapid test shortage – as it happened

I think ivermectin is an amazing drug, but I haven't seen any high quality evidence that it is effective in preventing or treating Covid. However, I'm keeping an open mind, and have been looking to see what the latest evidence is.

Here's a little of what I've dug up so far, including some information about what a meta analysis is, the potential pitfalls of relying on meta analysis if results from poor quality trials are included, and the importance of randomized placebo controlled trials (with large numbers of participants).

Meta-analysis - Wikipedia

Placebos in Clinical Trials

Ivermectin for Covid-19: abundance of hype, dearth of evidence

The lesson of ivermectin: meta-analyses based on summary data alone are inherently unreliable - Nature Medicine

Some information from the WHO, about newly recommended treatments:
COVID-19: WHO 'strongly recommends' arthritis drug for severe disease

UK RECOVERY trials:
Welcome — RECOVERY Trial

Covid Clinical Trials (USA websites):
Clinical Trials for Treatments

COVID-19 Studies from the World Health Organization Database - ClinicalTrials.gov

National Institutes of Health | Clinical Trials

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/clinical-trials/covid-19-clinical-trials

ETA: WHO table of recommended drug treatments for Covid 19, from The British Medical Journal (BMJ). Screenshot is from this link:
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3379

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-180121.png
    Screenshot_20220124-180121.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
During COVID, people take their anger out on health care workers

As a doctor during the pandemic, I've needed security guards and been accused of lying

As a pulmonary and critical care physician in Southern California treating hospitalized patients with COVID-19, I am noticing a rising tension. Beyond just being overwhelmed, we are now part of the collateral damage.

I recently asked a security guard to accompany me and an ICU nurse to meet the family of an unvaccinated 42-year-old firefighter who refused to accept that COVID-19 caused his respiratory failure. Adamantly refusing intubation despite worsening over weeks, it was only when his oxygen levels precipitously dropped and he complained of excruciating breathlessness that he accepted a breathing tube.

A dozen irate family members and friends now demanded answers. Because of visitation restrictions to limit contagion, they awaited me in lawn chairs outside the hospital. Through my N95 mask, I tried to explain in simple terms what was happening to their loved one.

They hectored with incessant questions about test results, accusations of mistreatment and demands for therapies like vitamins, ivermectin and sedatives.

Warning repeatedly “not to lie,” they recorded me with their camera phones. I tiptoed through a minefield of distrust. My careful medical explanations and efforts to connect empathically never landed. After 45 minutes, the three of us walked back into the hospital. The nurse, an ICU veteran of 20 years, sighed and said: “I can’t believe they attacked you like that.”

We are crucifying our health care workers, and our educators..........
We will see shortages in these industries for a long time.......

As a society we are doing such harm to these fine workers. It just breaks my heart to no end. We all will suffer in the future.

My boyfriend started to have dry cough and tickle in this throat yesterday night on my day 7. He tested positive this morning on my day 8. I hoped that he will not get it after a week seemed like a long time. Average is 3-5 days. It shows that it might take a while to some people who might isolate after close contacts .
Yup. This is what happened to me. I tested positive a week after my husband.

I posted a few days ago that DH had gotten three free N95 masks at our local Meijer.

Meijer giving away 3 million free N95 face masks (audacy.com)

Meijer is also givng away free N95 masks across the midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and other states listed in the article, below. Looks like Kroger, Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens will be doing the same, although they will be distributing the free masks at their pharmacy counters.

Meijer takes part in free N95 mask program

Beaumont Health brings in songwriter to tell frontline workers’ stories (clickondetroit.com)

Songs expected to be finished this week

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – While doctors and nurses are still tirelessly working, trying to save lives and heal those with COVID, there’s another group of hospital workers writing songs.

Beaumont Health brought in a songwriter to help tell the stories of what frontline workers have been going through during the pandemic. The goal is to help heal mental health.

In terms of pandemic healing, this might be the strangest, out-of-the-box idea Beaumont has had, but it also might be the most cathartic for their staff...

There are people that need the free N95 masks who won’t be able to run to their local Walgreens, CVS, grocery store or even the local city library.
I’m lucky that I have a few N95’s and KN95’s.
Not everyone has internet access or even a smartphone. Or a car. Or the ability to stand in a line for free masks.
How will they get them?

Well, how in the world did a company located in China receive an award for a federal US contract?

It appears iHealth received the largest contact awarded by the DOD, 1.3 billions dollars. Our US companies were awarded less than half combined.
Test Makers Led by iHealth Labs to Get $2 Billion in U.S. Deal (1)

I would say it is likely due to production and supply capacity. We all want lots of RATs, as soon as possible.

There is a list here of approved (in Australia) RATs.

Of the 167 RATs that are available:

28 are manufactured in the US, by 14 different companies.
58 are manufactured in China, by 25 different companies.

COVID-19 test kits included in the ARTG for legal supply in Australia

Did you read the article? It was about medical staff and the growing trend of them being bullied, badgered, treated badly during a time they have been worked into the ground.
Yes, I did read it. The afticle makes valid suggestions, more open communication, use of social services, and more.

I have a sister, nephew in law, nephew and nurses, many close friends in HC. They are giving 1000% daily. Yes, they have all experience abuse, risking their life daily. Abuse angers me and is unacceptable.

Physicians/practitioners have a legal and more importantly moral obligation to explain treatment options, and no matter how they feel with the patient's decision, they have the right to choice. The physicians comments were concerning, the physician was meeting the family in the parking lot, he was taking the ICU nurse, but didn't appear to take the medical chart to answer the questions the family deserve. This seems theatrical to me. The hospital has many meetings rooms providing privacy and a comfortable environment for discussion. What hospital administrator approved a parking lot meeting? Yes, even hospitals in lock down, have places to meet with family, FaceTime, Zoom are other opitions. Moo...

I recently asked a security guard to accompany me and an ICU nurse to meet the family of an unvaccinated 42-year-old firefighter who refused to accept that COVID-19 caused his respiratory failure. Adamantly refusing intubation despite worsening over weeks, it was only when his oxygen levels precipitously dropped and he complained of excruciating breathlessness that he accepted a breathing tube.

A dozen irate family members and friends now demanded answers. Because of visitation restrictions to limit contagion, they awaited me in lawn chairs outside the hospital. Through my N95 mask, I tried to explain in simple terms what was happening to their loved one. They hectored with incessant questions about test results, accusations of mistreatment and demands for therapies like vitamins, ivermectin and sedatives.

All my opinion and always a patient advocate...

There are people that need the free N95 masks who won’t be able to run to their local Walgreens, CVS, grocery store or even the local city library.
I’m lucky that I have a few N95’s and KN95’s.
Not everyone has internet access or even a smartphone. Or a car. Or the ability to stand in a line for free masks.
How will they get them?
If they can't get to the local store, library, of a pharmacy, they probably don't go anywhere to begin with. If they are homebound but still need N95s then hopefully somebody can get it for them.

We are crucifying our health care workers, and our educators..........
We will see shortages in these industries for a long time.......

As a society we are doing such harm to these fine workers. It just breaks my heart to no end. We all will suffer in the future.
I agree. The nursing shortage is in full swing and will only worsen with the ongoing pandemic. To me and many others, nursing is a calling. But one body and mind can only take so much when there is:

1. NEVER adequate nursing staff on the floor at any given time meaning patients don't get enough time with their nurses.
2. Ancillary staff is greatly reduced to save money (everything from housekeeping, lab workers, X-ray and ultrasound techs and respiratory therapists.
3. The need to work up to 16 hour shifts just to make sure there are nurses on the floor to care for the patients.
IMO this is not how our nurses or patients should be treated. And it's the main reason I retired. I was physically more than able to go on. Mentally? Not so much.
This is something we all should be concerned about. It will affect all of us and our family members at some point.
On a side note I wish there was some type of federal program to provide incentives to encourage more people to go into nursing. It seams service jobs are not as desirable as they once were.

Sbm

I'm sorry, I don't agree.

Yes of course the family should ask all the questions they feel are necessary until they are satisfied.

But first, they were forced to wait outside because of Covid visitation restrictions, according to the article. Not because of cruelty on the part of the health care workers.

Second, the article spoke of the family being abusive and accusatory, not just asking all the questions they had. They were also demanding unapproved treatments as well as refusing the doctor's advice to intubate their relative.

I know doctors are imperfect and some are irritable, but why even take your loved one to a hospital if you don't think the doctor knows what he or she is doing?

As @LaborDayRN mentioned, I do remember last year when we banged pots and pans and cheered for the health care workers, 7 PM every night.

IMO it's not the fault of doctors and nurses that Covid is still with us.

BBM.. I agree the physician and nurses are in no way at fault. They are also worn out. My sister worked almost 80 hours last week due to the ice/snow storm. I feel this is a poor example and was an unkind act.

I just can't believe a hospital administrator would approve a physician and nurse meeting with a family and being video taped, accompanied by security in the parking lot. And allowed to publish his story, even naming the occupation of the patient!!!

It appears the author of the article, the physician himself is quite active in the media.
<modsnip>

https://mobile.twitter.com/VenkteshR?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Moo...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't believe a hospital administrator would approve a physician and nurse meeting with a family and being video taped, accompanied by security in the parking lot. And allowed to publish his story, even naming the occupation of the patient!!!

I can believe it. I don't know how else we are going to hear about what is happening to the medical teams if people like this physician don't tell the story, give clear examples.

"Warning repeatedly “not to lie,” they recorded me with their camera phones."

I can believe it. I don't know how else we are going to hear about what is happening to the medical teams if people like this physician don't tell the story, give clear examples.

"Warning repeatedly “not to lie,” they recorded me with their camera phones."
Thank you SouthAussie! I don't think a physician active on SM is a negative. They deserve to tell their story and we deserve to hear them.

Last edited:

It may be that in your state, @Simply Southern, visitors are allowed in the hospital. Not in my state or particularly my city (NYC). Not in New Jersey where only one relative was allowed in two weeks ago when my sister's SIL was dying, even though she didn't have Covid.

This doctor says he is in Southern California. It may very well be that a raft of visitors is not allowed to visit, which in fact is cited in the article.

IMO it was very compassionate of the doctor to meet outside with the large group of relatives who wanted to ask him questions. And your article clearly states that it was the family that was video taping the doctor, NOT the doctor asking security to tape the family. Also IMO if the family was being belligerent and abusive, he was wise to take security to accompany him.

Also, you had mentioned that a patient has a choice. You are certainly right about that, and the patient declined intubation until he felt he did need it. But the doctor does not have the choice to give this patient the unapproved treatments that the family demanded. The doctor has taken an oath, "First, do no harm."

As to mentioning the patient's occupation, personally I don't see that as problematic. There is more than one firefighter in Southern California.

Blessings on your family members who are heroically engaged in health care.

My entire family of 5 took this as soon as symptoms started. First it was my husband and I then my 3 kids trickled in and got sick one after the other. We were all feeling almost 100% after 24 hours on the meds. Maybe it worked. Maybe it was a coincidence. But we all made it out unscathed with zero complications. I hope they look more into this.
I know several people who tried it as well. My daughter;'s friend, who is 28, got covid and she had passed it on to her 64 yr old mom. They both used ivermectin on the 2nd day and had very mild cases afterwards. Maybe it is a coincidence but IDK.

They took it because their friends had used it as well and had very good results. I'd try it if I become infected with the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxwell'sSilverHammer