Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to open more accredited nursing programs. There are plenty of people who want to go to nursing school. The programs all have waiting lists of students hoping to get in. They are (rightfully) grueling programs and some who start don't make it through. But nursing programs (for RN/ BSN) are highly regarded and in high demand.

The RN/BSN programs at our universities in Ohio are in high demand, and we also have waiting lists, so admission is highly competitive. The pandemic hasn't impacted our applications, although it has impacted performance on the state and national licensure exams. Same in law schools (first time bar exam takers), and many other professional fields, breaking the momentum of high performance on state and national licensure exams for many universities, unheard of before Covid (law, teacher education, nursing, etc.)

I am so sorry for the loss of your father--- when our loved ones pass away there is always so much sadness and grief, but this hideous horrid evil pandemic has added so much more sadness and grief because of the horrible circumstances surrounding the sickness and death of our loved ones. We are isolated from them and they die alone --- I think that is what scared me the most when this pandemic struck us: the idea that I or someone I love could be on a ventilator dying alone with no one to comfort them. It is even more tragic that your dad died from a condition that is curable- I had sepsis from a UTI in 2017: was in the hospital for a few days on IV antibiotics and was fine after that. Take care of yourself and be safe. All I can really think about these days is survival.

Many Covid-10 tests are manufactured here, but obviously not enough to supply them at the moment. I’ll take the ones made in China if no one here wants theirs. :)

For better or for worse, the United States and China are trading partners. Jobs in both countries depend on this trade.
The People's Republic of China

If you do a Google search you will see that many iconic American companies are owned by China, Canada, Belgium, etc.

Just for clarity, ihealth is a Sunnyvale, CA company that is a subsidiary of Andon in China. A number of government entities in this country have ordered these tests.

China's Andon Health to supply at-home COVID-19 tests to U.S.

The government asks for, receives and awards bids for many things. If a company wins a bid, they get the business.

iHealth Labs Inc Gets $1.3 Billion Contract for Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Tests

iHealth Labs Inc., Sunnyvale, California, was awarded a $1,275,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for COVID-19 rapid antigen tests. Bids were solicited via the internet with 20 received. Work will be performed in Sunnyvale, California, with an estimated completion date of March 14, 2022. American Rescue Plan Act funds awarded in 2022 in the amount of $1,275,000,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W58P05-22-C-0009). (Awarded Jan. 13, 2022)

Roche Diagnostics Corp., Indianapolis, Indiana, was awarded a $340,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for COVID-19 rapid antigen tests. Bids were solicited via the internet with 20 received. Work will be performed in Indianapolis, Indiana, with an estimated completion date of March 14, 2022. American Rescue Plan Act funds awarded in 2022 in the amount of $340,000,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W58P05-22-C-0010). (Awarded Jan. 13, 2022)

Abbott Rapid Dx North America LLC, Orlando, Florida, was awarded a $306,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for COVID-19 rapid antigen test kits. Bids were solicited via the internet with 20 received. Work will be performed in Orlando, Florida, with an estimated completion date of March 14, 2022. American Rescue Plan Act funds awarded in 2022 in the amount of $306,000,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W58P05-22-C-0008). (Awarded Jan. 13, 2022)

I have no problem with the government doing business with Chinese companies as long as they have done their due diligence and investigated to make sure that the companies don't have ties with the Chinese government (CCP). This is often hard to determine, because the Party's tentacles go everywhere and it isn't always obvious without the kind of untangling that I assume the feds can do, if they really want to.

I have no problem with the Chinese people, just the government, and don't think that our government should do business with the CPP at any level. And officially, at least, we don't give contracts with them. Even universities can't do business with anyone from the CCP by order of the federal government. But because of how the federal government works, a lot of us don't trust our federal government to do the due diligence required, in many instances.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Limits Use of Certain Monoclonal Antibodies to Treat COVID-19 Due to the Omicron Variant

FDA STATEMENT
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Limits Use of Certain Monoclonal Antibodies to Treat COVID-19 Due to the Omicron Variant

For Immediate Release: January 24, 2022
Statement From: Patrizia Cavazzoni, M.D.
Director - Center for Drug Evaluation and Research

As we have throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has used the best available science as the virus has evolved to make informed decisions with the health and safety of the American public in mind. Ensuring that healthcare providers on the frontlines have the best tools available to treat patients is a top priority for the agency.

In light of the most recent information and data available, today, the FDA revised the authorizations for two monoclonal antibody treatments – bamlanivimab and etesevimab (administered together) and REGEN-COV (casirivimab and imdevimab) – to limit their use to only when the patient is likely to have been infected with or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments.

Because data show these treatments are highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant, which is circulating at a very high frequency throughout the United States, these treatments are not authorized for use in any U.S. states, territories, and jurisdictions at this time. In the future, if patients in certain geographic regions are likely to be infected or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments, then use of these treatments may be authorized in these regions.

Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system’s ability to fight off harmful pathogens such as viruses, like SARS-CoV-2. And like other infectious organisms, SARS-CoV-2 can mutate over time, resulting in certain treatments not working against certain variants such as omicron. This is the case with these two treatments for which we’re making changes today.

Based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 is estimated to account for more than 99% of cases in the United States as of Jan. 15. Therefore, it’s highly unlikely that COVID-19 patients seeking care in the U.S. at this time are infected with a variant other than omicron, and these treatments are not authorized to be used at this time. This avoids exposing patients to side effects, such as injection site reactions or allergic reactions, which can be potentially serious, from specific treatment agents that are not expected to provide benefit to patients who have been infected with or exposed to the omicron variant.
[...]

FDA STATEMENT

For Immediate Release: January 24, 2022
Statement From: Patrizia Cavazzoni, M.D.
Director - Center for Drug Evaluation and Research

As we have throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has used the best available science as the virus has evolved to make informed decisions with the health and safety of the American public in mind. Ensuring that healthcare providers on the frontlines have the best tools available to treat patients is a top priority for the agency.

In light of the most recent information and data available, today, the FDA revised the authorizations for two monoclonal antibody treatments – bamlanivimab and etesevimab (administered together) and REGEN-COV (casirivimab and imdevimab) – to limit their use to only when the patient is likely to have been infected with or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments.

Because data show these treatments are highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant, which is circulating at a very high frequency throughout the United States, these treatments are not authorized for use in any U.S. states, territories, and jurisdictions at this time. In the future, if patients in certain geographic regions are likely to be infected or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments, then use of these treatments may be authorized in these regions.

Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system’s ability to fight off harmful pathogens such as viruses, like SARS-CoV-2. And like other infectious organisms, SARS-CoV-2 can mutate over time, resulting in certain treatments not working against certain variants such as omicron. This is the case with these two treatments for which we’re making changes today.

Based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 is estimated to account for more than 99% of cases in the United States as of Jan. 15. Therefore, it’s highly unlikely that COVID-19 patients seeking care in the U.S. at this time are infected with a variant other than omicron, and these treatments are not authorized to be used at this time. This avoids exposing patients to side effects, such as injection site reactions or allergic reactions, which can be potentially serious, from specific treatment agents that are not expected to provide benefit to patients who have been infected with or exposed to the omicron variant.
[...]

Very concerning these products have been removed from the market. Virginia hasn't received a shipment of either since Dec 3, 2021, even with Delta being the dominant variant, during this period.

Odd, the FDA would approve it for use and 2 days later remove from the market.

Wish I could locate the studies used to determine this decision. FDA didn't reference these.

Moo....

Last edited:
my tests are coming today- got the email saying so- I am in Virginia
Have not heard the status on the 15 I ordered for neighbors. They all received an email confirming the order, no delivery date.
Thanks for the update.

Seems Virginia is is still experiencing problems even after Senator Warner intervened in August.

These are within the last 2 weeks.

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-new...idents-in-chesterfield-neighborhood-concerned

Two weeks without mail: Investigation launched into Emporia post office | 8News

USPS says mail delivery issues due to “unforeseen circumstances”

There are to many articles to post...but we got problems.
Moo...

My opinion is that it is absolutely draconian. My husband had a medical emergency and was in the hospital last year. The hospital actually broke laws, by not informing me about his care. Hello? Medical Power of Attorney, completely ignored.

I wish more hospitals were like Wake Forrest Medical Center, Duke and UVA. They all have teams in various departments, from ICU, surgery unit, transplants, etc that communicate with families on a regular basis. A RN updates family via phone/waiting room every hour while in surgery, ICU RN contacted by daughter every two hours and sometimes hourly, when my condition turned critical. This service did not stop during Covid and friends seemed relieved to be able to post updates good and bad.

Duke initiated a great little program few years ago. It's specialized 6 month training sitter/nurses aid program fully staffed position, focuses on de-escalation . A trained, many are social workers, sit, assist with difficult/combative/scared/confused patients. Initialed started in the ER and migrated throughout the hospital. This relieves a great burden on nurses and physicians, ERs are more calm, calms patients, families feel grateful their loved one is not alone. A BIG WIN WIN.

Grateful to be sitting in the middle of some of the best hospitals in the US.

Moo....

...said RG, a virologist at Tulane University School of Medicine. "I don't think there's any reason to think this one is a whole lot worse than the current version of omicron."
but
Some scientists have dubbed BA. 2 the "stealth omicron" because it has genetic traits that make it more difficult to identify the omicron form of the virus on PCR tests.

There's a new version of omicron but so far it doesn't appear to be more dangerous

Very concerning these products have been removed from the market. Virginia hasn't received a shipment of either since Dec 3, 2021, even with Delta being the dominant variant, during this period.

Odd, the FDA would approve it for use and 2 days later remove from the market.

Wish I could locate the studies used to determine this decision. FDA didn't reference these.

Moo....

I'm not sure exactly what studies the FDA looked at, but it seems that there Omicron has been dominant since December, and concern about resistance to monoclonals has been growing since then. There was a new study published in Nature on 1/19/22, which I've linked below.

Omicron Evades Most But Fortunately Not All Monoclonal Antibodies

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...ffective-against-omicron-according-to-studies

https://www.covid19treatmentguideli...apies-for-high-risk-nonhospitalized-patients/

An infectious SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.529 Omicron virus escapes neutralization by therapeutic monoclonal antibodies | Nature Medicine

There's a new version of omicron but so far it doesn't appear to be more dangerous

Known as BA. 2, the new version of the virus is a descendant of the omicron variant responsible for huge surges of covid-19 in the United States and elsewhere around the globe. Virologists are referring to the original omicron variant as BA. 1.

"The BA. 2 descendant lineage, which differs from BA. 1 in some of the mutations, including in the spike protein, is increasing in many countries," the WHO wrote on its website. "Investigations into the characteristics of BA. 2, including immune escape properties and virulence, should be prioritized independently (and comparatively) to BA. 1."

I'm not sure exactly what studies the FDA looked at, but it seems that there Omicron has been dominant since December, and concern about resistance to monoclonals has been growing since then. There was a new study published in Nature on 1/19/22, which I've linked below.

Omicron Evades Most But Fortunately Not All Monoclonal Antibodies

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...ffective-against-omicron-according-to-studies

https://www.covid19treatmentguideli...apies-for-high-risk-nonhospitalized-patients/

An infectious SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.529 Omicron virus escapes neutralization by therapeutic monoclonal antibodies | Nature Medicine
No disrespect, and I did read the entire study..

The only study you reference is Nature Medicine, the FDA has not listed this as study in their decision, actually they haven't list any.

From the nature study....
We obtained an infectious clinical isolate of B.1.1.529 from a symptomatic individual in the United States (hCoV-19/USA/WI-WSLH-221686/2021). We propagated the virus once in Vero cells expressing human transmembrane protease serine 2 (TMPRSS2) to prevent the emergence of adventitious mutations at or near the furin cleavage site in the spike protein.

I have read many of the newspaper articles, like you posted, no mention of facts and where they came from.
How are the US citizens to fact check, when FDA keeps the sources secret? Nothing on NIH nor FDA but current studies, still active studying monoclonal antibody. NO mention of any on the new variant.

Again, why would FDA approve for the use with Omicron and 2 days later pull the product completely off the market?

When government agencies established to protect American citizens approves and rescinds without a detail explanation, within days, I and many others loose faith.

Moo..

It finally found us. We received my hubbies PCR results this morning. It's positive. He's running a low grade fever, runny nose and a general feeling of malaise. I worry about him as he has an underlying condition. Luckily we have easy access to medical advise via phone or video chat.

I still have the same headache I've had for 5 days. I'm not going for a second PCR at this point. I'm just going to assume we both have it. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go for a second test.
My husband and I are both double vaccinated along with boosters. I'm hoping that will make this a mild encounter with our enemy Covid.

Last edited by a moderator:
It finally found us. We received my hubbies PCR results this morning. It's positive. He's running a low grade fever, runny nose and a general feeling of malaise. I worry about him as he has an underlying condition. Luckily we have easy access to medical advise via phone or video chat.

I still have the same headache I've had for 5 days. I'm not going for a second PCR at this point. I'm just going to assume we both have it. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go for a second test.
My husband and I are both double vaccinated along with boosters. I'm hoping that will make this a mild encounter with our enemy Covid.

Well darn. Take good care of yourself and dh.

Oh no! But don’t worry too much you are both vaccinated. My mum who has diabetes and had it recently ( triple vaccinated) she recovered without problems, you have a good healthcare access it will be fine! You can probably assume that you have it and I hope that it won’t get worse for you. Get well soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper