Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Elley Mae

While Johns Hopkins is certainly a highly regarded institution, and these are scientists and researchers who have provided very detailed information, I take issue with the overall conclusion even though I am just a layperson, and they are scholars.

IMO it seems to be simple common sense. If I am home and don't go out, and I don't let anyone in my home, then I cannot catch Covid or any other contagious disease.

I scanned through the entire study. It is noticeable that they allude to many other studies which they then state they exclude, even though the other studies put forth a different conclusion.

They also cite the fact that people's behavior is very difficult to legislate and control. I witness this every time I DO leave my home, as we are not in lockdown as we were in March and April of 2020. My city has very strong laws regarding vaccine and mask mandates. Social distancing is still supposed to be incorporated as a means of lessening the chance of contagion.

Yet, the few times I go anywhere, such as the supermarket, I see people without masks. I see no social distancing. Vaccines are supposed to be checked by the door if we were to enter anyplace indoors in NYC, but I NEVER see that. I don't eat indoors, but my cousin does. My cousin found one restaurant that checks vaccines, but they didn't check ID as they are supposed to, so my cousin could be using anyone else's vaccine card (or cell phone, because in NY we have vaccine proof on our phones as well). Every day we read about people paying for falsified vaccine cards.

The word "quarantine" comes from the Italian for "40," because in medieval times merchants on ships in Venice were supposed to stay on the ship for 40 days, to avoid spreading the plague. Of course, these rules were broken then as they are still today.

IMO a lockdown would not be necessary if Covid-afflicted people did indeed maintain a 10-day quarantine, if everyone were vaccinated and boosted, if everyone still engaged in vigorous hygiene, and if people wore their masks rigorously. But that is not what is happening in real life.

That study also includes two paragraphs about Sweden, which explains that they famously do not engage in lockdowns, yet as @indicolite22 posted, Sweden is now in Covid trouble.

I certainly, definitely, absolutely underline that what you posted is an in-depth scholarly study and I'm just a teacher. However, the CDC and NIH have done their own studies, with the opposite conclusion.

I also understand the economic ramifications of locking down a city or a country. I understand the mental health issues, as well, since I have endured them during this pandemic.

Yet, in the simplest fashion possible, if people do not mingle, they will not infect each other. That's the bottom line. Again IMO why it doesn't work is due to the vast amount of people who disregard all the rules that are in place for communal safety. Had these rules been rigorously followed at the start, it is my belief we would be past the pandemic by now. We have weapons that didn't exist in the 14th century, such as vaccines. Yet these weapons are disregarded by so many.

"This systematic review and meta-analysis are designed to determine whether there is empirical evidence to support the belief that “lockdowns” reduce COVID-19 mortality."

I find the premise for this review of statistics severely lacking.

1. The point of lockdowns is to stop the spread (which we have clear evidence of success, in my country), stopping the spread reduces the deaths

2. They reviewed no stats from countries that have had success with lockdowns - selectively choosing the US and Europe, neither areas locking down 'properly' in comparison

3. The only part of my country's economy that was severely hit was the travel and tourism sector (which we tried to support by having staycations)

4. Would lockdowns have worked everywhere? No they wouldn't. Because some countries have many multigenerational households, cramped living conditions, and/or far too many non-compliant citizens

5. The point of locking down is to stop people mingling, until the virus has been squelched because it can't find any new hosts. It has to be done early, hard, and fast - in order to work

imo
China had a successful lockdown so far. Their death toll therefore is minimal compared to the US which is going to hit a million soon. So how can these people claim lockdowns don't work? The key here of course lockdown in the US wasn't really stringent, whereas China takes its lockdowns seriously.

China had a successful lockdown so far. Their death toll therefore is minimal compared to the US which is going to hit a million soon. So how can these people claim lockdowns don't work? The key here of course lockdown in the US wasn't really stringent, whereas China takes its lockdowns seriously.

You can't compare an authoritarian country like the PRC with a democracy. Chinese citizens have absolutely no rights, and can be imprisoned or shot if they refuse to follow orders that are often arbitrary and come with no notice. The Chinese people live in fear, they don't take the lockdowns seriously, their lives depend on following the CCP's orders, literally.

You can't compare an authoritarian country like the PRC with a democracy. Chinese citizens have absolutely no rights, and can be imprisoned or shot if they refuse to follow orders that are often arbitrary and come with no notice. The Chinese people live in fear, they don't take the lockdowns seriously, their lives depend on following the CCP's orders, literally.

Totally agree. I remember there were reports of citizens having the doors to their homes welded shut by authorities in the first lockdown. Hardly a way to define success.

I agree with you 100% .
My sentiments exactly.

Virus infections for Olympic athletes, coaches rising faster (clickondetroit.com)

BEIJING – Athletes and team officials are testing positive for COVID-19 at much higher rates than other people arriving in China for the Beijing Olympics, organizers said Tuesday.

Figures released by local organizers showed 11 positive tests for COVID-19 among 379 athletes and officials arriving Monday. They have been taken into isolation hotels to limit the spread of the infection and could miss their events.

The positive test rate of 2.9% for athletes and officials compared to 0.66% for Olympic “stakeholders,” a group which includes workers and media, in the same period. There were 1,059 people in that category...

The Games haven't even officially begun, and there is already a rising number of Covid cases among athletes and coaches. The Winter Games should have been cancelled or postponed. JMO

Totally agree. I remember there were reports of citizens having the doors to their homes welded shut by authorities in the first lockdown. Hardly a way to define success.

There are also other examples - besides China. Successful ones that didn't use authoritarian rule (Aus, NZ, Taiwan, Singapore, some Pacific Island nations) ... instead it took a compliant population, and fines for those who breached the rules.

Peer pressure can be a good thing sometimes. When the overwhelming majority of a country's citizens see the good sense in stopping the spread.

Tonga is now going into lockdown as it has two covid cases. Wharf workers. If it is Omicron, I am not sure what their success will be ... but good on them for trying. imo

Tonga to enter lockdown after first community cases of COVID-19 confirmed

Of course, we (Aus) opened up once we were highly vaccinated. Hello covid.
But occassional lockdowns, ultimately, gave us lots of safe freedom.

Last edited:
They are taking lots of room in the hospitals, and then our government in its ultimate wisdom is prioritizing hard to find treatments (antibodies and Pfizer pills) for unvaccinated because they are most likely to die. What exactly is keeping them unvaccinated, and why should they be prioritized for treatments even if they are most likely to die because they refuse to be vaccinated? I really fail to see why I should respect a choice like they are making. For whatever reason, that choice only applies to the vaccine, but not pills or antibodies (which also carry some risks) or going to the hospital.

Personal choice…
<modsnip>“They” have made a personal choice and last time I checked that wasn’t actually breaking any laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sprockett7701

It's true there are no laws, at least in the U.S., forcing people to be vaccinated. As in the sense that no one will be chased down the street, held down and forcibly vaccinated.

But in many states there ARE laws requiring vaccinations to attend events, to go indoors in public places, or to work at certain jobs that are public-facing. No one is forced to be vaccinated. However, in that case the laws in many states and other countries ARE laws that mandate vaccines, or the person will have to forfeit their jobs or their entertainment in a public venue.

I'm old enough to remember cavorting around in the back of my parents' car. We spent a month every summer driving cross-country, and in those days there were no seat-belt laws or child seat laws. But now there are. It was a big deal when they were instituted as people didn't want their freedom curtailed. No one has to walk around outside in a seatbelt...but if you choose to drive, you must ensure everyone is strapped in or in a car seat. With a driver who is not drunk.
So, anyone is free to escape wearing a seatbelt if they think it inhibits their freedom....but they must forfeit driving or being a passenger.

If someone is driving and their personal choice is to speed, be drunk, not wear seat belts and then they crash....yes I would blame them even if they are "victims" who die due to their personal choices.

There are all kinds of OSHA and other laws that mandate certain factors for safety. There are all kinds of laws regulating gun safety. What if I feel like my personal American liberty gives me the right to incite a riot, and I end up trampled? IMO ensuring people get vaccinated is the same. Just like all the other vaccines we are required to have as children.

Those who die because they refused to get vaccinated against a highly contagious disease are not the true victims, IMO. The victims are those who catch it from them, even if they've followed every law. Most vaccinated people will not die but they will get sick.

IMO no one is victim blaming those who die because they refuse vaccines. It's a tragedy. No one feels schadenfreude when this happens.

But their "personal choices" do not affect just their person, but affect the global community.

Jmo

I suspect this Johns Hopkins study--and many more--will be closely analyzed in the years to come in order to come up with a better plan to fight pandemics.

Lockdowns had little or no impact on COVID-19 deaths, new study shows
All lockdowns aren't equal. Here, the first one in spring 2020 worked pretty well. It resulted in a small number of cases and few deaths. The second lockdown in the fall/winter (before the vaccines) was a huge failure. Cases exploded and wouldn't go down for months. It led to a high number of deaths, the majority of which occurred in nursing homes. Among observable differences were people's attitudes. Although recommendations were followed at first, by the second wave many got fed up with restrictions and stopped taking precautions or even deliberately flouted rules.

Fast forward to today, when another record was broken (over 1% of population newly infected in a day), there are few restrictions in place apart from the indoor mask mandate. People still mask-up in shops, but it bugs me that I seem to be the only person wearing a mask in an apartment building (everyone did during the first wave, when the perceived danger was greater). Most work meetings are held online these days for a reason and yet there are people who meet in others' offices maskless.

Pfizer asks FDA to authorize Covid vaccine for kids under 5 (nbcnews.com)

The drugmaker requested authorization for the first two doses of a planned three-dose series for young children.

Pfizer-BioNTech on Tuesday asked the Food and Drug Administration to expand the use of its Covid-19 vaccine to children ages 6 months to 5 years.

The application included data on the safety and effectiveness of two doses of the vaccine, though the company says that it plans on submitting data for a third dose in the coming months. The third dose will be considered part of the primary vaccination series, the company said...

Personal choice…
<modsnip> “They” have made a personal choice and last time I checked that wasn’t actually breaking any laws.

Non-vaccinated blaming and mandates don't really make sense. It is indeed a personal choice.
The vaccines don't stop the spread of the virus.
CDC Director: Covid vaccines can't prevent transmission anymore (msn.com)

The hospitals are not predominantly full of covid patients but many "other" ones. (Coronavirus - Maryland Department of Health) We may as well blame ALL lifestyle preventable/mitigatable conditions taking up hospital space (which I don't).
upload_2022-2-2_13-54-20.png
We need a more responsive medical system so that those hard-working medical personnel are not so over-taxed when we have any kind of surge, IMO. Maybe a registry of recently retired, recently license-lapsed med folks and back up facilities -- after all, most industries have some sort of continuity of operations plans. Just a thought.

My own choice is to keep masking and avoid crowds to keep from getting covid and from subsequently giving covid, and if I do get it anyway, then I've been vaccinated so hopefully I'll be okay. But that is my approach. For an 18 year old healthy young person or a healthy person who has had covid or a preschool age child, the choices might be a little different. I don't think that people who choose differently should be condemned for it.
Again, JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sprockett7701

It's true there are no laws, at least in the U.S., forcing people to be vaccinated. As in the sense that no one will be chased down the street, held down and forcibly vaccinated.

But in many states there ARE laws requiring vaccinations to attend events, to go indoors in public places, or to work at certain jobs that are public-facing. No one is forced to be vaccinated. However, in that case the laws in many states and other countries ARE laws that mandate vaccines, or the person will have to forfeit their jobs or their entertainment in a public venue.

I'm old enough to remember cavorting around in the back of my parents' car. We spent a month every summer driving cross-country, and in those days there were no seat-belt laws or child seat laws. But now there are. It was a big deal when they were instituted as people didn't want their freedom curtailed. No one has to walk around outside in a seatbelt...but if you choose to drive, you must ensure everyone is strapped in or in a car seat. With a driver who is not drunk.
So, anyone is free to escape wearing a seatbelt if they think it inhibits their freedom....but they must forfeit driving or being a passenger.

If someone is driving and their personal choice is to speed, be drunk, not wear seat belts and then they crash....yes I would blame them even if they are "victims" who die due to their personal choices.

There are all kinds of OSHA and other laws that mandate certain factors for safety. There are all kinds of laws regulating gun safety. What if I feel like my personal American liberty gives me the right to incite a riot, and I end up trampled? IMO ensuring people get vaccinated is the same. Just like all the other vaccines we are required to have as children.

Those who die because they refused to get vaccinated against a highly contagious disease are not the true victims, IMO. The victims are those who catch it from them, even if they've followed every law. Most vaccinated people will not die but they will get sick.

IMO no one is victim blaming those who die because they refuse vaccines. It's a tragedy. No one feels schadenfreude when this happens.

But their "personal choices" do not affect just their person, but affect the global community.

Jmo

very well stated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads