Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With Omicron the infection can happen within seconds of being exposed, as far as I can tell. It's highly infectious.

Yes, the transmission is supposed to be really fast. I will say when we had it in our house after Christmas the infectious kid only spread it to the brother he shares a room with. He was in the kitchen the evening before, for quite some time, before he showed symptoms but thankfully no one else in the room caught it.

The oddities of this virus never cease to amaze me. We were very lucky a couple of weeks ago that we never caught Covid after my partner was working closely for several hours with someone whose wife and kids were positive for Covid and heavily symptomatic at the time. He did say he was isolating from them in their home although I was skeptical how successful that would be with small kids in the house who needed to be cared for. But he never tested positive and neither did we. Our case numbers are going down again in Ireland now that the BA2 wave has peaked. A few weeks ago an Irish epidemiologist described stepping outside your door here as essentially plunging into "Covid soup".

Yes, the transmission is supposed to be really fast. I will say when we had it in our house after Christmas the infectious kid only spread it to the brother he shares a room with. He was in the kitchen the evening before, for quite some time, before he showed symptoms but thankfully no one else in the room caught it.
I am not sure if my relative had Delta or Omicron. Delta was still circulating at the time, so it could have been delta. It also could have been Omicron. I was exposed for multiple days but never caught it as far as I know even though I had to go multiple times into relative's room each day to take care of the relative (before relative ended up in the hospital).

I'm avoiding large gatherings if people are unmasked. I know of a large church that had been careful until recently when they decided to have a pot luck dinner together. Big mistake! It was a superspreader. The pastor is very sick, the wife not so bad and others also have Covid. I'm in a smaller church, and all still wear masks (except the speaker and soloist), space 6 feet apart and have air circulation going. (Open windows whenever you can.) Not a single case of Covid.

I'm avoiding large gatherings if people are unmasked. I know of a large church that had been careful until recently when they decided to have a pot luck dinner together. Big mistake! It was a superspreader. The pastor is very sick, the wife not so bad and others also have Covid. I'm in a smaller church, and all still wear masks (except the speaker and soloist), space 6 feet apart and have air circulation going. (Open windows whenever you can.) Not a single case of Covid.

Our church is planning to stop requiring masks at Sunday services starting with the 11 a.m. Easter service. I am quite uneasy about this, although we do have good air circulation in the sanctuary, and there are a lot fewer people attending in-person services than there were before Covid. I can choose to continue masking, of course.

Our church is planning to stop requiring masks at Sunday services starting with the 11 a.m. Easter service. I am quite uneasy about this, although we do have good air circulation in the sanctuary, and there are a lot fewer people attending in-person services than there were before Covid. I can choose to continue masking, of course.

Our congregation just started back this past week after two years on Zoom…masks strongly encouraged. Everyone wore one. I wasn’t planning to hug anyone, but that lasted about ten minutes! I know all my friends are vaxxed and I haven’t seen anyone in person for two years, so I threw caution to the wind. :eek:Zoom is still available for those who aren’t comfortable or able to attend in person. One part is audience participation and a whole bunch of us made large “Zoom hands” and raised them all at once! Big surprise and lots of laughs! :D

For those who haven’t used Zoom, when you tap on “raise hand” in a meeting, an emoji hand shows in the upper left corner of your photo.

Going in tomorrow for 4th shot. I'll be flying on 4 planes shortly.
Do I want another shot? Hell no. At the end of my first two flights, I'll be alone in our new future home. Knowing, nobody.
I have a lot to do there. Being Down with Covid would be awful. My insurance would not cover me there either.
God, I hate this virus.

Do I want another shot? Hell no. At the end of my first two flights, I'll be alone in our new future home. Knowing, nobody.
I have a lot to do there. Being Down with Covid would be awful. My insurance would not cover me there either.
God, I hate this virus.

Safe travels @KALI. I hope all goes well for you wherever you’re going. Keep us posted. :)

Could you point me directly where to find that at the link? I see where it says "51% of deaths from 3/24 - 3/30" but I don't see where it says that those people are not fully vaccinated? I may be missing it somewhere.
It’s on the Louisiana Department of Health’s Corona Virus Dashboard. It breaks down the info into several categories-vaccinated, hospitalized, vent usage, tests performed, positives, and deaths (fully vaccinated %). Sorry, I can't link. The dashboard is updated by noon (M-F).

God, I hate this virus.

Wishing you safe travels and good health. Are you retiring from the restaurant business?

Our congregation just started back this past week after two years on Zoom…masks strongly encouraged. Everyone wore one. I wasn’t planning to hug anyone, but that lasted about ten minutes! I know all my friends are vaxxed and I haven’t seen anyone in person for two years, so I threw caution to the wind. :eek:Zoom is still available for those who aren’t comfortable or able to attend in person. One part is audience participation and a whole bunch of us made large “Zoom hands” and raised them all at once! Big surprise and lots of laughs! :D

For those who haven’t used Zoom, when you tap on “raise hand” in a meeting, an emoji hand shows in the upper left corner of your photo.

I've used Zoom but didn't know about Zoom hands. I'm glad you got to see and hug your church friends! Our church has online services streamed live or prerecorded on YouTube, and we restarted in-person services (with the choir singing in person) last September. We've had a couple of Covid cases in the choir but we have always been masked and everyone is vaxxed and boosted.

67 attendees of high profile D.C. dinner test positive for Covid (nbcnews.com)

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Attorney General Merrick Garland and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo were among the guests who attended the annual Gridiron dinner.

Sixty-seven attendees have tested positive for Covid-19 after attending the Gridiron Dinner in Washington last weekend, including members of the Biden administration and reporters, according to Gridiron Club President Tom DeFrank.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, tested positive for the virus on Friday and is experiencing mild symptoms, his office said in a statement on Saturday, adding to a fresh wave of cases that has swept through the nation's capital.

Two other members of Biden's Cabinet, Attorney General Merrick Garland and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, tested positive last week after attending the annual social gathering of high-profile political media and business figures. This is the first that the event has taken place since 2019, before the pandemic...

NYC Mayor Eric Adams tests positive for Covid-19, spokesperson says - CNN

New York City Mayor Eric Adams tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday, according to a statement from a spokesperson.

“This morning, Mayor Adams woke up with a raspy voice and, out of an abundance of caution, took a PCR test that has now come back positive,” press secretary Fabien Levy said in the statement Sunday.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Attorney General Merrick Garland and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo were among the guests who attended the annual Gridiron dinner.

Sixty-seven attendees have tested positive for Covid-19 after attending the Gridiron Dinner in Washington last weekend, including members of the Biden administration and reporters, according to Gridiron Club President Tom DeFrank.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, tested positive for the virus on Friday and is experiencing mild symptoms, his office said in a statement on Saturday, adding to a fresh wave of cases that has swept through the nation's capital.

Two other members of Biden's Cabinet, Attorney General Merrick Garland and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, tested positive last week after attending the annual social gathering of high-profile political media and business figures. This is the first that the event has taken place since 2019, before the pandemic...

Wow, what a superspreader. You would think they would show some restraint. JMO

And spread to how many other people?

God, I hate this virus.
Hopefully you will be flying before the 18th which is when the travel mask mandate is set to expire.
Do most insurance plans cover emergency service at any hospital (except Hawaii?).
At least they covered mine at emergency visits in different states. Maybe you can get supplemental insurance since you’re going to be moving there soon?
Be safe traveling and get a cocktail prior to boarding.
JMO

Last edited:
Hi,sorry to bump in here, but things are really getting concerning in China - Shanghai.
Just came from twitter and saw some disturbing, shocking post about people starving in complete lockdown,children been taken away,pets getting killed,etcetc - it just like you watching a bad movie..which unfolds in desperation with no end in sight..

Warning shocking video footage:

Shanghai locals scream from windows, protest as city faces food shortage amid Covid-19 spike | Viral Videos

‘They are going to starve to death’: Shanghai residents in lockdown with ‘no end in sight’

Hi,sorry to bump in here, but things are really getting concerning in China - Shanghai.
Just came from twitter and saw some disturbing, shocking post about people starving in complete lockdown,children been taken away,pets getting killed,etcetc - it just like you watching a bad movie..which unfolds in desperation with no end in sight..

Warning shocking video footage:

Shanghai locals scream from windows, protest as city faces food shortage amid Covid-19 spike | Viral Videos

‘They are going to starve to death’: Shanghai residents in lockdown with ‘no end in sight’

They're "batch testing" groups with nose and mouth swabs? That's kinda gross. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper