Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tested positive again, so I will not be working tomorrow. I am off on Sun. and Mon., and will retest Tuesday morning when I wake, as per work instructions.
Truthfully, it has not been that bad. I haven't taken any pain relievers since Wednesday. No fever, not much mucous, barely a cough now. I thought I would be negative.
I'm 57 and live alone with the dog. Isolation has been easy. The blaming and shaming by my elderly father has not. It's hard to remember that his mental issues are not my own.
So glad you're doing well!
I laughed at your isolation has been easy comment. One of my good friends said "I was made for quarantine" in the beginning of COVID restrictions. Me too!
The older I get the clearer it is that families are c.o.m.p.l.i.c.a.t.e.d. We love them, but man can they make us crazy. Just from reading your posts over time, I'm sure there are many in your life that love and support you, just tune dad right out. Hugs.

So glad you're doing well!
I laughed at your isolation has been easy comment. One of my good friends said "I was made for quarantine" in the beginning of COVID restrictions. Me too!
The older I get the clearer it is that families are c.o.m.p.l.i.c.a.t.e.d. We love them, but man can they make us crazy. Just from reading your posts over time, I'm sure there are many in your life that love and support you, just tune dad right out. Hugs.
You made The Grinch in me smile. Thank you!

Let us know what Covid precautions your cruise puts in place. Like do you have to be vaccinated and show proof? Do you have to wear masks? Do you have to test negative for Covid? Etc....

Thanks.
There are currently no restrictions for Princess cruises out of the U.S. We will carry our proof of vaccinations/boosters cards with us, and we will pack disposable procedural masks. If Covid becomes an issue during our 10-night sailing, we will not hesitate to wear masks when we're out and about on the ship.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind thoughts. My hip doesn't hurt all the time and is mostly when I walk for long periods of time. That could be a major problem on a cruise as there is a lot of walking involved on the ship and/or in port. Hopefully, PT for the next weeks will help alleviate the discomfort, and the orthopedist might recommend a second cortisone right before our trip. I have my second PT session later today.
I had a rough bout of bursitis a few years ago. Strangely it was all on my right side (shoulder, knee and hip). I was taking over the counter meds and really didn't want another prescription. My doctor recommended I take turmeric supplements twice daily. It was an absolute Godsend! I still take them daily.

I had a rough bout of bursitis a few years ago. Strangely it was all on my right side (shoulder, knee and hip). I was taking over the counter meds and really didn't want another prescription. My doctor recommended I take turmeric supplements twice daily. It was an absolute Godsend! I still take them daily.

Wow! I just started turmeric supplements, keep forgetting to take them, now you reminded me. My friend with lung disease takes them and they help. They are great for inflammation. My son feels better taking them too. Will have to get hubby on them.

Thank you for sharing this information. I wouldn't take something without discussing it with a physician, but I know to ask about the supplement thanks to your suggestion. I have set up all of my PT sessions through January 19 (2x per week for 6 weeks). I am supposed to see the orthopedist again on January 23 but might cancel if the PTs say it's unnecessary.

Thank you for sharing this information. I wouldn't take something without discussing it with a physician, but I know to ask about the supplement thanks to your suggestion. I have set up all of my PT sessions through January 19 (2x per week for 6 weeks). I am supposed to see the orthopedist again on January 23 but might cancel if the PTs say it's unnecessary.
I agree. It's very important to clear any supplement with your physician. :)

I received an email from the USPS yesterday, saying that the free federal government covid self-test kits will be deliverd tomorrow (Thursday). Wonder what brand they will be, and how many will be in each kit. Also, good to know in advance when they will be delivered, so they don't sit in the cold in the mailbox.

I received an email from the USPS yesterday, saying that the free federal government covid self-test kits will be deliverd tomorrow (Thursday). Wonder what brand they will be, and how many will be in each kit. Also, good to know in advance when they will be delivered, so they don't sit in the cold in the mailbox.
I just ordered mine today. I have a bunch of test kits I got this year, and all of them are "expired" but most if not all of them have extended expiration dates. I have yet to use a Covid test.

Friends of ours have been sick the past few weeks with some kind of virus. The wife got it when she flew to New York to visit her son. She wore a mask everywhere she went, but came home sick. Then her husband got it. He went to the doctor who ruled out Covid, RSV, and flu. So we don't know what it was but it sure has been miserable for them.

Another friend who sings in choir with us, a young woman who is a health professional, got sick weeks ago and delayed going to a doctor. When she finally did, testing showed that it was influenza A. Because of the delay, she wasn't able to take Tamiflu. The reason she put off seeing a doctor was that she didn't want to contribute to overloading the health care system... She was really ill and says she is still not back to normal.

I am so dreading getting any kind of respiratory virus now.

I ordered test kits on 12/16. No tracking information yet, but email confirmation indicates test kits are being mailed this week. We haven't used our original test kits that expire next month. We're hoping that we never have to use them.

Last edited:
We received the federal governments free Covid home test kits today in the mail. We received two boxes and each box has 2 tests inside. The manufacturer is Quidel. Expiration date is February 26, 2023. I will check online at the FDA's website to see if the expiration date has been extended. I think it probably has been extended, like so many of the other home test kits. But will find out.

Edited to add: I just checked the FDA website for extensions of expiration dates, and the tests we received today that are due to expire in February 2023, have been extended to June 26, 2023.

Last edited:
For some, Covid knocked out their sense of smell for months with no precise scientific explanation of why and no therapeutic drugs specifically designed to restore it.

A research group led by Duke Health could be nearing some answers.

The researchers took biopsies deep inside the nasal cavities of patients struggling to regain their smell months after coming down with Covid. They found evidence of continued inflammation and an immune response that persisted after the virus was long gone, according to a small study published Wednesday in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

Millions of people around the world lost their smell for at least six months after contracting Covid. This new research could help develop drugs specifically to address the problem in the toughest cases, and it also could help scientists better understand how long Covid affects other organ systems...

I hope I won’t jinx it by saying so (superstitious me), but I am optimistic my 98-year-old father in the nursing home just may get through his case of Covid. He still has a cough, but never developed fever. He is on Paxlovid. So, we are hopeful.

His doctor is very sensible, and asked us to consider what we wanted to do if my father took a sudden turn for the worse: heroic measures or comfort measures. Very scary to have to make the decision, but the dr wanted to know before it might happen. We siblings discussed it and decided comfort measures was the best in light of his current quality of life. (He has advanced dementia, blindness and hearing loss. :()
I spoke too soon. My father just passed away today. While he did seem to recover from Covid, I think it took a toll on his already fragile state, so maybe it could be said to be an indirect cause.

I’m grateful it was a quiet, quick and peaceful transition, where we were spared having to make a decision on what to do “if he took a turn for the worse“.

I am sad but ok. If there is an afterlife, I like to hope he is now feeling happiness at being free from all his infirmities of life here on earth.

I spoke too soon. My father just passed away today. While he did seem to recover from Covid, I think it took a toll on his already fragile state, so maybe it could be said to be an indirect cause.

I’m grateful it was a quiet, quick and peaceful transition, where we were spared having to make a decision on what to do “if he took a turn for the worse“.

I am sad but ok. If there is an afterlife, I like to hope he is now feeling happiness at being free from all his infirmities of life here on earth.

I’m so sorry @slowpoke! Big hugs!

I'm so sorry.

So very sorry for the loss of your dear father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eppomoosha