Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Eric Topol and Dr. Amish Jha regarding a new study from Israel showing effectiveness of the bivalent vaccine in older adults:

Eric Topol
https://twitter.com/EricTopol
@EricTopol

The bivalent booster in people age 65+ compared with those who did not receive it, among >622,000 participants 81% reduction of hospitalizations (Figure) 86% reduction of deaths https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4314067…
@ClalitHealth

@ArbelRonen

3:47 PM · Jan 9, 2023·

--------------------

Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH
@AshishKJha46
·
4h

So evidence for bivalent vaccines keeps getting stronger Latest from Israel Compared to vaccinated folks who had NOT gotten bivalent Older folks who got the bivalent had 81% reduction in hospitalizations 86% reduction in deaths Pretty stunning stuff https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4314067…
Thank you! This paper also specifies which bivalent people need.

"Bivalent mRNA vaccines contain an ancestral SARS-CoV-2 strain component plus an updated component of the Omicron BA.4/BA.5. Since September 2022, a single bivalent booster dose has been recommended for adults who have completed a primary vaccination series and are at high risk for severe Covid-19 disease. Evidence regarding the effectiveness of the bivalent vaccine in reducing hospitalizations and death due to Covid-19 is warranted."

I tested positive this afternoon. Other than a sore throat and a cough, I feel fine.

This is now my 4th infection.

Wait, what?

You tested positive for Covid 4 separate times?

I have never heard of anyone getting Covid 4 times.

I'm glad you feel fine for the most part. It seems like you would have immunity built up. Were you vaccinated? Boosted?

Would be interesting to hear about your experiences if you get time and feel like sharing about it but if you don't want to post about it I totally respect that.

Thank You

Last edited:
Repeat exposure to covid; reinfection, could have long term health consequences per this Time Magazine article. One exposure, one vaccine, does not prevent contagion with XBB1.5. Reinfection is possible and likely, given the high rate of transmission.

"At this point in the pandemic, it’s easy to think of COVID-19 as something closer to the flu than a dangerous disease. ...

In a study published in Nature Medicine, researchers report that COVID-19 reinfections could be taking a toll on some important organ systems. That risk applies to both short-term and long-term health effects ...

People who had more than one COVID-19 infection were three times more likely to be hospitalized and twice as likely to die than those who only had one infection. Those with multiple infections were also more vulnerable to other dangerous conditions; they were 3.5 times more likely to develop lung problems, 3 times more likely to have heart conditions, and 1.6 times more likely to have brain changes requiring care than people who had only had COVID-19 once."

I tested positive this afternoon. Other than a sore throat and a cough, I feel fine.

This is now my 4th infection.
Gosh!

My husband has had Covid 3 times, he has to do fiield trips in the Amazon. Always has to present negative test before he goes, but has come back ill and positive every time.

Indigenous communities have only had first jab. And of course there is no reasonable health care for them.

Gosh!

My husband has had Covid 3 times, he has to do fiield trips in the Amazon. Always has to present negative test before he goes, but has come back ill and positive every time.

Indigenous communities have only had first jab. And of course there is no reasonable health care for them.
Is he vaccinated with bivalent BA.4/5?

Holy moly!!! 4 times--- unbelievable-- do you have a weak immune system?
thank goodness your symptoms are relatively mild
take care

Ever since getting the original strain in March 2020, my immune system has been crap. I developed asthma after my second infection and I’m susceptible to pretty much all respiratory infections. I initially thought I had a cold before deciding to test myself yesterday.

Ever since getting the original strain in March 2020, my immune system has been crap. I developed asthma after my second infection and I’m susceptible to pretty much all respiratory infections. I initially thought I had a cold before deciding to test myself yesterday.
I wish you a swift recovery and sorry you are so susceptible to this nasty virus!

Wait, what?

You tested positive for Covid 4 separate times?

I have never heard of anyone getting Covid 4 times.

I'm glad you feel fine for the most part. It seems like you would have immunity built up. Were you vaccinated? Boosted?

Would be interesting to hear about your experiences if you get time and feel like sharing about it but if you don't want to post about it I totally respect that.

Thank You

I’ve had it every year since March 2020 I am fully vaccinated and boosted (including the bivalent booster).

I believe the vaccines are preventing serious illness in me, though. When I had COVID the first two times, it was before the development of vaccines, and I was super sick. Each subsequent infection has been less severe and I’m thanking the vaccines for that.

China news.

I’ve had it every year since March 2020 I am fully vaccinated and boosted (including the bivalent booster).

I believe the vaccines are preventing serious illness in me, though. When I had COVID the first two times, it was before the development of vaccines, and I was super sick. Each subsequent infection has been less severe and I’m thanking the vaccines for that.
I also rely on the fact that vaccination simply will not give strong complications.

Gosh!

Personally, I would suspect his travel as a source of covid at least as much as the communities he visits. Speaking in general, of course, and assuming commercial air travel from large airports.

I tend to operate under the assumption that vaccines, while hugely important, are only for the benefit of the recipient -- they don't, for the most part, prevent infection from happening, but they do reduce the severity of the acute phase of illness, thus reducing the likelihood of hospitalization, intubation, or death.

I believe the way to protect others around you is not by getting vaxxed (as I said, that's just for your own benefit) but by properly masking and avoiding close contact.

All MOO

Is he vaccinated with bivalent BA.4/5?
No, he has had 3 Sinovac shots, we dont have anything else available for the moment apart from Astra Zeneca left overs.

Waiting for govt to purchase.

Having said that, the pandemic was well managed here. All very strict.

Am younger than my husband so got Pfizer and Janssen jabs. So far ok.

My youngest 17 got Pfizer and Moderna, has recently had a light Covid.

@otto, interesting that you are looking at this. Is there anything related to the blood group connection?

No, he has had 3 Sinovac shots, we dont have anything else available for the moment apart from Astra Zeneca left overs.

Waiting for govt to purchase.

Having said that, the pandemic was well managed here. All very strict.

Am younger than my husband so got Pfizer and Janssen jabs. So far ok.

My youngest 17 got Pfizer and Moderna, has recently had a light Covid.

@otto, interesting that you are looking at this. Is there anything related to the blood group connection?
I don't know. I've seen headlines, that seem more like hypothesis, about genetic traits that make some people more susceptible to covid. I don't believe it at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameraSnap