Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed that it was a provincial government failure, but that makes it clear that it is a federal government failure. I'm curious how many other countries are in the same situation, where outdated, ineffective Moderna BA.1 bivalent boosters are offered today. Most people wouldn't research it, and would trust that the government wouldn't be offering an outdated booster when a new variant of concern is about to flood the country and overwhelm health services.
I wouldn't have researched this, looked into this, had it not been for your bringing this to our attention. Most people in Ontario who are getting the bivalent booster likely aren't aware of which version of omicron is targeted in the vaccine.

Personally I would speculate that one of the reasons behind the current surge is that hardly anyone is masking anymore, and the new variant is far more transmissible than earlier ones.

If the new variant is so hyper-transmissible, then even just a handful of people not masking, in a crowded environment, could start the surge snowball rolling.

Covid is airborne -- not merely from droplets small enough to stay in the air a while, but fully airborne -- as in, if you could smell smoke, you could breathe in the particles that lead to covid.

I am fully pro-vaxx but that won't keep a person from getting infected, it will "only" make you less likely to become severely ill in the short term. Vaxx may or may not reduce the chance of Long Covid, I've seen both ways claimed.

Masks and isolation are the only way IMO to avoid it, and with only a small portion of the population doing either, it doesn't bode well for folks in crowded areas.

All MOO

I wouldn't have researched this, looked into this, had it not been for your bringing this to our attention. Most people in Ontario who are getting the bivalent booster likely aren't aware of which version of omicron is targeted in the vaccine.
I agree that most people aren't questioning which Moderna bivalent they receive, in part because the information that is released claims that Moderna BA.1 bivalent provides some protection against XBB. However, looking at the mutation chart, we see that XBB is unrelated to BA.1, and that Moderna BA.4/5 bivalent is better. I think there should be clarity from the government regarding which bivalent is effective today.
CBC

Attachments

• 1673206634974.png
    1673206634974.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
My understanding is that both the Pfizer and Moderna bivalent vaccines target the original covid-19 as well as BA.4 and BA.5 variants. I have never heard of Pfizer or Moderna coming out with two versions of a bivalent vaccine.
I wasn't given an option as to which booster I got. It was just what the vaccination centre had that day and they mentioned it was Pfizer in passing. Looking at my vaccine card (I've photographed and attached a section of it here) later, I was pleased to see that it was the one adapted for BA4-5. The Moderna one they offer here (Ireland) is only adapted for BA1 and less useful right now, I feel.

Attachments

• 20230108_193840.jpg
    20230108_193840.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 22
Excellent article by Eric Topol (gift link):
The article says that one of the issues is that people are not getting the bivalent booster. Perhaps they are getting the Modern bivalent BA.1 booster, or other old vaccine, unaware that some bivalent shots are out of date and ineffective with current variants.
There is no Moderna bivalent BA.1 booster... typo, perhaps? I believe the only bivalent boosters are the ones that came out this past fall and cover the BA.4 and BA.5 omicron variants as well as the original version of the virus.

I agree that most people aren't questioning which Moderna bivalent they receive, in part because the information that is released claims that Moderna BA.1 bivalent provides some protection against XBB. However, looking at the mutation chart, we see that XBB is unrelated to BA.1, and that Moderna BA.4/5 bivalent is better. I think there should be clarity from the government regarding which bivalent is effective today.
CBC
This is very confusing! I've never heard of a Moderna BA.1 bivalent booster in the U.S.

According to this information from the FDA, the investigational clinical trials for the bivalent booster vaccine for both Pfizer and Moderna were based on the original Covid-19 virus and BA.1. Following these trials, the FDA approved bivalent boosters from both Pfizer and Moderna that targeted the original virus plus BA.4 and BA.5, with the FDA saying they gave their approval since the manufacturing of the drugs was virtually the same as with BA.1 as part of the bivalent tested.

So it sounds like the FDA never approved the investigational version of the bivalent booster that included BA.1, but ony approved the later version of BA.4 and BA.5.

That is my interpretation, anyway. I wonder why it was different in Canada and why Ontario is getting the newer version.
Too late to edit the last line of this post. I meant to write - "I wonder why Ontario is getting the older version."

Too late to edit the last line of this post. I meant to write - "I wonder why Ontario is getting the older version."
I'm curious about that too. It seems that Moderna was ready to launch large scale production of BA.1 bivalent or BA.4/5 bivalent in October, depending on what was needed. Now we know what is needed for the XBB variant, but perhaps the Canadian gov't miscalculated and invested in BA.1 bivalent.

Regardless of the origin of the problem, the Moderna BA.4/5 needs to be made available to Canadians who have chosen to not mix and match vaccines. I suspect this is not only a Canada problem.

I think that many people have become skeptical about the frequency of Covid boosters. As someone suggested earlier in this discussion, there is Covid vaccine fatigue. I totally understand why many folks are concerned about the efficacy and reliability of shots being required every few months to stay ahead of the next variant of the virus. There is no crime in questioning what one feels is in the best interest of his/her personal health and well-being.

I have never smoked. I have never taken any drug that was not prescribed by a physician. I rarely take OTC medications. I enjoy wine occasionally but rarely consume other alcohol. I no longer drink any type of caffeinated beverages. I don't eat a lot of red meat and limit egg consumption to 3-4 per week. I rarely eat fried foods and don't often indulge in sweets. I always wear sunscreen when I'm going to be in the sun for a prolonged period of time because I'm fair skinned with blue eyes and burn easily. In short, I do whatever I can to stay healthy, which includes an annual flu shot and the original Covid vaccines and boosters plus the bivalent booster. I am skeptical and have many questions about whether or not it is in my best interest to continue to get the shots every six months. JMO
I find myself hesitating to get the Bivalent---I am 6 months out from my last
Booster. I think I am concerned I will have a serious untoward reaction to it- I understand
The vaccine is safe, but I know sometimes a person can get a serious reaction---I
Probably will get it but dont know if I can continue getting boosted every few months.
It is certainly a personal decision for each of us.

I find myself hesitating to get the Bivalent---I am 6 months out from my last
Booster. I think I am concerned I will have a serious untoward reaction to it- I understand
The vaccine is safe, but I know sometimes a person can get a serious reaction---I
Probably will get it but dont know if I can continue getting boosted every few months.
It is certainly a personal decision for each of us.
Are your concerns about a reaction something you can discuss with your doctor? Definitely there are people with allergies to specific ingredients etc, or who have other conditions that make the common vaccine reactions too risky for them. Maybe there are recommendations of alternatives your doc can make?

If it helps in any way, my reactions to all the Moderna* shots were typical/expected but nevertheless unpleasant (fever, queasiness, metallic taste in mouth, exhaustion all for a few days) and so I opted for Pfizer for the bivalent booster and had only a sore arm and less than half a degree of fever. If I hadn't been monitoring my temperature I wouldn't have even noticed because I felt fine.

*Typical for many vaccines, not covid-specific. I had similar but even stronger reactions to the two Shingrix vaccine shots for Shingles, when I got those a few years ago, and those are "famous" for triggering strong reactions.

In any case I hope that you (and anyone else who opts not to get boostered) take extra distancing/masking precautions so you can hopefully avoid covid regardless of vaxx choices.

Are your concerns about a reaction something you can discuss with your doctor? Definitely there are people with allergies to specific ingredients etc, or who have other conditions that make the common vaccine reactions too risky for them. Maybe there are recommendations of alternatives your doc can make?

If it helps in any way, my reactions to all the Moderna* shots were typical/expected but nevertheless unpleasant (fever, queasiness, metallic taste in mouth, exhaustion all for a few days) and so I opted for Pfizer for the bivalent booster and had only a sore arm and less than half a degree of fever. If I hadn't been monitoring my temperature I wouldn't have even noticed because I felt fine.

*Typical for many vaccines, not covid-specific. I had similar but even stronger reactions to the two Shingrix vaccine shots for Shingles, when I got those a few years ago, and those are "famous" for triggering strong reactions.

In any case I hope that you (and anyone else who opts not to get boostered) take extra distancing/masking precautions so you can hopefully avoid covid regardless of vaxx choices.
I never have had the flu vaccine due to fears of an allergic reaction. Ihave lots
Of allergies.When covid came along I Got vaccinated and boosted due to the obvious risks
Of serious disease for my age group. Fortunately I have not had any serious side
Effects from the Moderna vaccine. The Bivalent vaccine was tweaked so it is not
The same as prior vaccine and boosters. It bothers me that the bivalent had
Emergency authorization without human trials--- one scientist Was concerned
Enough to state the bivalent vaccine should have been considered new and
Subject to human trials. I pretty much have become pretty isolated-- no dining
Out, no crowds.

Thanks for reminding me that we will need to get our second Shingrix shot fairly soon, although we could delay it some. Got the first shot on October 26. I had more of a reaction to it than to my various Covid vaccinations/boosters.

It felt foolish to me, but we joined two other couples, close friends in their 70s, for dinner in a restaurant last night. It had been a long time since we'd done that and we all had really missed eating out together.

I have mostly gotten over my recent case of Covid and do not want to get it again, but the chance to get together with our friends was hard to pass up. I figured being up to date on vaccinations (had the bivalent booster in September) plus my recent Covid infection should give me some protection. My symptoms with my Covid infection weren't bad, but I still get tired out easily and have coughing spells. I think I should have taken Paxlovid, which along with being up-to-date on vaccinations can help lower the risk of developing Long Covid.

From the USA Today article @Sundog posted (last paragraph BBM):

Why it's better not to get infected​

Every COVID-19 infection increases your risk for serious disease and for long COVID, which brings sometimes debilitating symptoms that can linger for a year or more.

More than 3,500 people have died from long COVID-19 in the US, CDC reports.

Older adults are more vulnerable, Al-Aly said, "but it doesn't mean younger people are totally shielded." Long COVID, too, can strike people at any age from childhood through to the 101-year-old recently treated at his hospital, he said.

Vaccination reduces the risk of long COVID by 15% to 30%, according to a study he recently published.* Another study he is working on shows Paxlovid reduces the risk by 26%.

* Link to study: Long COVID after breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 infection - Nature Medicine

It felt foolish to me, but we joined two other couples, close friends in their 70s, for dinner in a restaurant last night. It had been a long time since we'd done that and we all had really missed eating out together.

I have mostly gotten over my recent case of Covid and do not want to get it again, but the chance to get together with our friends was hard to pass up. I figured being up to date on vaccinations (had the bivalent booster in September) plus my recent Covid infection should give me some protection. My symptoms with my Covid infection weren't bad, but I still get tired out easily and have coughing spells. I think I should have taken Paxlovid, which along with being up-to-date on vaccinations can help lower the risk of developing Long Covid.

From the USA Today article @Sundog posted (last paragraph BBM):

Why it's better not to get infected​

Every COVID-19 infection increases your risk for serious disease and for long COVID, which brings sometimes debilitating symptoms that can linger for a year or more.

More than 3,500 people have died from long COVID-19 in the US, CDC reports.

Older adults are more vulnerable, Al-Aly said, "but it doesn't mean younger people are totally shielded." Long COVID, too, can strike people at any age from childhood through to the 101-year-old recently treated at his hospital, he said.

Vaccination reduces the risk of long COVID by 15% to 30%, according to a study he recently published.* Another study he is working on shows Paxlovid reduces the risk by 26%.

* Link to study: Long COVID after breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 infection - Nature Medicine
I'm glad you enjoyed your precious dinner with friends. It sounds lovely. Also happy to hear that you're feeling better. Hope the fatigue resolves soon. It takes a while for many people to get over the tiredness but sounds like you are making a great recovery.

PS I've often had some coughing for weeks or, in a couple of cases, even months after any respiratory infection. It can take a while for the lungs to clear.

Last edited:
Dr. Eric Topol and Dr. Amish Jha regarding a new study from Israel showing effectiveness of the bivalent vaccine in older adults:

Eric Topol
https://twitter.com/EricTopol
@EricTopol

The bivalent booster in people age 65+ compared with those who did not receive it, among >622,000 participants 81% reduction of hospitalizations (Figure) 86% reduction of deaths https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4314067…
@ClalitHealth

@ArbelRonen

3:47 PM · Jan 9, 2023·

--------------------

Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH
@AshishKJha46
·
4h

So evidence for bivalent vaccines keeps getting stronger Latest from Israel Compared to vaccinated folks who had NOT gotten bivalent Older folks who got the bivalent had 81% reduction in hospitalizations 86% reduction in deaths Pretty stunning stuff https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4314067…

I'm glad you enjoyed your precious dinner with friends. It sounds lovely. Also happy to hear that you're feeling better. Hope the fatigue resolves soon. It takes a while for many people to get over the tiredness but sounds like you are making a great recovery.

PS I've often had some coughing for weeks or, in a couple of cases, even months after any respiratory infection. It can take a while for the lungs to clear.
Thank you! I have almost always had extended periods of coughing following respiratory infections since childhood. Eventually I figured out that the coughing was a form of asthma. I'd go to bed and start coughing, and there were no inhalers back then. I still have a problem with coughing along with and after viral infections, but now I have an inhaler, which helps, but also has side effects--keeps me awake and makes me shaky--so I don't use it very often.

NY, NJ COVID Hospitalizations Near Year-Highs as Wildly Contagious Variant Spreads: CDC​

Nowhere is XBB.1.5 more prevalent than in the northeastern United States, according to the CDC -- and rolling hospitalization and death rates, along with cases, are climbing accordingly​

January 9, 2023​

What to Know​

• You've probably heard about the XBB.1.5 variant; it's the latest "most transmissible COVID variant yet" and appears to be better at binding to human cells, which may make it more adept at infecting
  • There's no evidence at this point that the strain, a combination of two prior omicron subvariants, is more lethal or more likely to cause COVID complications, but as a top White House official said last week, if you haven't been vaccinated or infected lately, your protection probably isn't so good
  • Nowhere is XBB.1.5 more prevalent than in the northeastern United States, according to the CDC -- and rolling hospitalization and death rates, along with cases, are climbing accordingly
COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York and New Jersey have soared to 11-month highs as the most transmissible variant yet, a combination of two prior omicron strains, fuels yet another infection wave nearly three full years into the pandemic, the latest federal health data show.

Deaths are also climbing, with weekly fatality reports for both states currently at their highest levels since early last year, according to the CDC. In New York City, the rolling COVID fatality average is the highest it's been since February 2022, while rolling hospitalizations are at a height not seen since the downswing of the initial omicron wave.

NY, NJ COVID Hospitalizations Near Year-Highs as Wildly Contagious Variant Spreads: CDC

Last edited:

NY, NJ COVID Hospitalizations Near Year-Highs as Wildly Contagious Variant Spreads: CDC​

Nowhere is XBB.1.5 more prevalent than in the northeastern United States, according to the CDC -- and rolling hospitalization and death rates, along with cases, are climbing accordingly​

January 9, 2023​

What to Know​

• You've probably heard about the XBB.1.5 variant; it's the latest "most transmissible COVID variant yet" and appears to be better at binding to human cells, which may make it more adept at infecting
  • There's no evidence at this point that the strain, a combination of two prior omicron subvariants, is more lethal or more likely to cause COVID complications, but as a top White House official said last week, if you haven't been vaccinated or infected lately, your protection probably isn't so good
  • Nowhere is XBB.1.5 more prevalent than in the northeastern United States, according to the CDC -- and rolling hospitalization and death rates, along with cases, are climbing accordingly
COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York and New Jersey have soared to 11-month highs as the most transmissible variant yet, a combination of two prior omicron strains, fuels yet another infection wave nearly three full years into the pandemic, the latest federal health data show.

Deaths are also climbing, with weekly fatality reports for both states currently at their highest levels since early last year, according to the CDC. In New York City, the rolling COVID fatality average is the highest it's been since February 2022, while rolling hospitalizations are at a height not seen since the downswing of the initial omicron wave.

NY, NJ COVID Hospitalizations Near Year-Highs as Wildly Contagious Variant Spreads: CDC
This represents to me what occurs after a holiday- where most people now don't even mask up, mingle with crowds, traveling with a very very transmissible virus out there. No surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameraSnap