Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to go urgent care to get tested for Covid- they did the Rapid Antigen and the PCR- I got tested twice- thank goodness it was negative but these days symptoms of different viruses including Covid can be difficult figure out. Best to be tested.
A few weeks ago, a neighbor had intestinal flu that landed him in Troy Beaumont for two days. He was severely dehydrated, weak, and dizzy and fell in the shower late one night. I had already gone to bed when EMS flew down the street past our house. DH came to see if I wanted to get up to see what was going on, but I was fast asleep. DH saw our neighbor walking his dog several days later and asked how he (or his wife) were doing. That's when we found out that he had stomach flu, fell and hit his head in the shower, and was rushed to the hospital for X-rays, monitoring for concussion, and plenty of fluids. As we age, it's probably best not to self-treat if we're not sure what virus (or other type of illness) we may have.

I decided to go urgent care to get tested for Covid- they did the Rapid Antigen and the PCR- I got tested twice- thank goodness it was negative but these days symptoms of different viruses including Covid can be difficult figure out. Best to be tested.
I wish they still did PCR tests here in Ireland. They are more accurate for peace of mind. It's all DIY rapid antigen tests now, unless you're a hospital inpatient. So far so good anyway. Her test was negative. I'll do another test in a couple of days. She has sinus pain now and a slight temperature but she's not feeling too dreadful and she was recently boosted with the new bivalent. So if it does turn out to be Covid, hopefully it will stay mild. I left her with plenty of food and fluids in the meantime so she doesn't have to leave the house.

I wish they still did PCR tests here in Ireland. They are more accurate for peace of mind. It's all DIY rapid antigen tests now, unless you're a hospital inpatient. So far so good anyway. Her test was negative. I'll do another test in a couple of days. She has sinus pain now and a slight temperature but she's not feeling too dreadful and she was recently boosted with the new bivalent. So if it does turn out to be Covid, hopefully it will stay mild. I left her with plenty of food and fluids in the meantime so she doesn't have to leave the house.
That is too bad about no PCR testing--Sounds like you are taking good care of her--hopefully she doesnt
Have Covid, but if she does, the booster should keep the virus mild. Why no PCR testing in Ireland?

I tried 2 Covid tests this afternoon from a package with an extended expiration date of mid-January 2024, and the results weren't clear to me. I have another brand that will also expire in January, so could try one of those tests. But for now I don't think I'll bother. My symptoms aren't bad but I've been pretty lethargic and have been cold all day (probably because I'm not moving much).

That is too bad about no PCR testing--Sounds like you are taking good care of her--hopefully she doesnt
Have Covid, but if she does, the booster should keep the virus mild. Why no PCR testing in Ireland?
I suppose it probably cost a bomb to the state. There were free PCR test centres all around the country from 2020 to early 2023, with health service staff seconded to run them. But the government decided to wind the public testing down this year as there was less demand for it and it was no doubt expensive.

Now they just want people to buy the DIY antigen tests in supermarkets and chemists if they have symptoms. They're cheap and available everywhere and we always keep a stash at home. They emphasise repeated testing with the home tests to get a trustworthy result and say that's cumulatively almost as accurate as a PCR but I'm not sure a lot of people bother to do repeated tests if they get a negative result first time.

If you're in hospital and have Covid symptoms though, it will be a PCR test straight away so they know immediately whether to isolate you from other patients.

I had a good night last night and feel much better today. I haven't tried another Covid test, because I really don't think this is Covid--probably just a cold. If so, it's the first cold I've had since before the pandemic!

I had a good night last night and feel much better today. I haven't tried another Covid test, because I really don't think this is Covid--probably just a cold. If so, it's the first cold I've had since before the pandemic!

Same here. Just a cold. Feel much better today & went out & bought some cough syrup. And now the cough has stopped & no aches anymore. Hoping a quick cold! :)
Glad to hear you are feeling much better!

DH and I had our semi-annual dental cleaning/checkup yesterday. Both appointments were originally scheduled last April for October 30. Several days prior, we were contacted and told that the appointments had to be cancelled and were rescheduled for the following day (Halloween). A couple of days later. we got another call to say that there would not be a hygienist available that day, so we scheduled back-to-back appointments for Saturday, November 11. We didn't realize that our dentist would actually do our cleanings and were quite surprised, to say the least. Turns out that one of the two hygienists left for another job (more money), and Dr. S hasn't been able to find a replacement. It seems that, post-covid, many trained hygienists are no longer interested in cleaning people's teeth and that there is a shortage of hygienists in metro Detroit. What was once a popular full- or part-time job for (mostly) women no longer has that same appeal. With the loss of the second hygienist, the office is swamped and has had to reschedule dozens of cleaning appointments, so Dr. S is cleaning teeth on Saturdays until he finds a new hygienist. Our next cleanings are already scheduled for May, 2024. For now, they are back-to-back appointments unless there's a second hygienist on the team. We liked having simultaneous cleanings when there were two hygienists. The fallout from Covid is more widespread than we thought. JMO

Last edited:
DH and I had our semi-annual dental cleaning/checkup yesterday. Both appointments were originally scheduled last April for October 30. Several days prior, we were contacted and told that the appointments had to be cancelled and were rescheduled for the following day (Halloween). A couple of days later. we got another call to say that there would not be a hygienist available that day, so we scheduled back-to-back appointments for Saturday, November 11. We didn't realize that our dentist would actually do our cleanings and were quite surprised, to say the least. Turns out that one of the two hygienists left for another job (more money), and Dr. S hasn't been able to find a replacement. It seems that, post-covid, many trained hygienists are no longer interested in cleaning people's teeth and that there is a shortage of hygienists in metro Detroit. What was once a popular full- or part-time job for (mostly) women no longer has that same appeal. With the loss of the second hygienist, the office is swamped and has had to reschedule dozens of cleaning appointments, so Dr. S is cleaning teeth on Saturdays until he finds a new hygienist. Our next cleanings are already scheduled for May, 2024. For now, they are back-to-back appointments unless there's a second hygienist on the team. We liked having simultaneous cleanings when there were two hygienists. The fallout from Covid is more widespread than we thought. JMO
That is surprising- would have never thought about dental hygienists leaving the profession due to Covid-- Thank goodness my hygienist is still sticking with my dentist. She is absolutely wonderful! On some level though I can understand why hygienists might feel uncomfortable cleaning people's teeth, being worried about contracting Covid!!!

Your post reminded me of a cleaning I had a few years ago. The hygienist went home ill right before I got there so my dentist stepped in and did it in her place.

I found a new dentist earlier this year because my old clinic had trouble retaining a dentist and while I only needed hygienist cleanings, they would not permit ongoing cleanings without an annual dentist check, even while they were without a dentist! Sigh...

But the new dentist I found is a husband-and-wife office, and since covid (I presume not before, lol) they both wear essentially moon suits, a glass head enclosure with a breathing filter pack strapped to their backs. I liked them immediately for that level of caution, then discovered I also just liked them in general.

My first visit, they were adamant about patients masking until the procedure was about to begin, but when I went for my recent cleaning she commented "you're one of the only ones who still masks anymore". I guess they had to relax that rule to not lose all their patients. I'm really glad they're still protecting themselves, since dentistry is inherently an unmasked activity for the patient.

Ugh- rebound COVID after antivirals ... I called dr. begging for codiene since I can't stop coughing to sleep, and the dr. (correctly, IMO) said it would be an irresponsible RX without checking your lungs, ruling out pneumonia, considering prednisone, etc.

So I'm in their stupid urgent care, where nothing happens urgently. And I don't trust them; they told DH he had a heart attack; his cardiologist said, that's whack, you had no heart attack.

I wish they'd hurry up and see me. The nurse has been in... that's pretty good for an hour and a half into my urgent care adventure.

And they wish patients wouldn't self diagnose...

MOO

Ugh- rebound COVID after antivirals ... I called dr. begging for codiene since I can't stop coughing to sleep, and the dr. (correctly, IMO) said it would be an irresponsible RX without checking your lungs, ruling out pneumonia, considering prednisone, etc.

So I'm in their stupid urgent care, where nothing happens urgently. And I don't trust them; they told DH he had a heart attack; his cardiologist said, that's whack, you had no heart attack.

I wish they'd hurry up and see me. The nurse has been in... that's pretty good for an hour and a half into my urgent care adventure.

And they wish patients wouldn't self diagnose...

MOO
Sorry you have rebound symptoms. I hope you get what you need to feel better.

I've had a cold (not Covid) for about 9 days and have been having nocturnal coughing that interferes with sleep, a lifelong common problem for me after respiratory infections. There seems to be an asthma component to it and I produce a lot of sticky mucus. I've been taking a pill at bedtime with guaifenesin and dextromethorphan but still having a lot of coughing toward morning. But I wish I had a codeine cough medicine--as I recall, it's quite effective.

Sorry you have rebound symptoms. I hope you get what you need to feel better.

I've had a cold (not Covid) for about 9 days and have been having nocturnal coughing that interferes with sleep, a lifelong common problem for me after respiratory infections. There seems to be an asthma component to it and I produce a lot of sticky mucus. I've been taking a pill at bedtime with guaifenesin and dextromethorphan but still having a lot of coughing toward morning. But I wish I had a codeine cough medicine--as I recall, it's quite effective.
It's not going well.

After the doctor complained about paperwork associated with this prescription, he finally sent one, and missed the return fax that there was none stocked at my pharmacy.

I'm currently waiting for a manager or someone in charge now. as they are asking me to call around. Like they never heard the pharmacist lines that day. If this is a doctors office press one. It's insane. And they know they will be closed soon- If I located a pharmacy I would lose the script, as it must be direct. It's a controlled substance. Grrrr.

It's not going well.

After the doctor complained about paperwork associated with this prescription, he finally sent one, and missed the return fax that there was none stocked at my pharmacy.

I'm currently waiting for a manager or someone in charge now. as they are asking me to call around. Like they never heard the pharmacist lines that day. If this is a doctors office press one. It's insane. And they know they will be closed soon- If I located a pharmacy I would lose the script, as it must be direct. It's a controlled substance. Grrrr.
Survived to bad day. no narcotics, but it turns out you can't really get them on a Sunday, as none of the big chains stock them, and mom and pops/compounding pharmacies are not common in my neighborhood- the few that exist are closed Sunday.

the whack thing is that the rude dr. and all his staff learned this along with me. And they were only forced to learn it because I would not take no for calling it in, and woukd not agree to call around on my own.

the pharmacists explained that in their business models, they just don't stock stuff like that anymore.

I'm wondering why I bothered getting the 2 Pfizer shots 2 years ago if they don't help now. I can't find anything about getting any protection from them now. I really want to know if they would help me in any way.

I'm wondering why I bothered getting the 2 Pfizer shots 2 years ago if they don't help now. I can't find anything about getting any protection from them now. I really want to know if they would help me in any way.
Like many vaccines, the current covid vaxxes only offer increased immunity for a limited period of time. As far as I understand this is currently around 3-4 months. After that you have little if any increased protection. If it's been years then you are unlikely to still get any protective benefit. I've been getting a covid vax every 4-6 months since learning about that.

And of course they don't make you fully immune from CATCHING covid -- only masks and distancing can reliably do that -- but they do make your body able to fight an existing infection more effectively, leading to fewer symptoms and potentially a shorter length of infection.

I'm no medical expert but I do have hope that within a few years we will have covid vaxxes that more strongly prevent infection in the first place, and also last for a longer time, hopefully years.

MOO

Just like the annual flu shot, you need a COVID shot formulated for the newest variants.

Your annual flu shot from 2 years ago won’t provide protection now, and neither will your COVID vaccinations from 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CROOKED_RIVER