Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is specific to Oregon, but think this could apply to other states and countries as well so pasting what I was sent in an emailed newsletter from our state Health Department. This'll have to be IMO since I can't provide a source to content in an email.

I figured if being reimbursed was of interest to you, that knowing it's possible where I'm from could help folks with this info to seek out if it's possible where you live.

Where can we get both PCR COVID-19 tests and at-home COVID-19 tests that are covered by OHP? Do I buy my tests at, say, Walmart? How do I get reimbursed for the costs? – Yvonne, Yachats

A: If you are covered by Oregon Health Plan (OHP), whether you want an at-home COVID-19 test or a PCR test administered by a health care professional (including pharmacists), you must go to a provider or pharmacy that bills OHP and offers those products or services. Most pharmacies have at-home COVID-19 tests on the shelf for the public, but you must take it to the pharmacy counter for the transaction and confirm they bill OHP. If you take it to the regular cashier and pay for it, you won’t be able to get reimbursed for it.

The best proof I have that it's real:
1700181469549.png

Thank you, @Gemmie !

Can you explain just a bit what OHP is and what might be the equivalent in other states? Is it Oregon's version of Medicaid?

In my part of California I've been told that PCR is so expensive that only hospital inpatients can get it, and the rest of us are to trust our home RAT tests and we don't even need to let our county public health office know if we test positive.

But that means no official diagnosis, which leads me to wonder about getting Paxlovid etc.

I also foresee a time when, potentially, "long covid" treatments might only be covered by insurance if one had a formal diagnosis of covid in the first place, which now seems impossible to get. Argh.

Thank you, @Gemmie !

Can you explain just a bit what OHP is and what might be the equivalent in other states? Is it Oregon's version of Medicaid?

In my part of California I've been told that PCR is so expensive that only hospital inpatients can get it, and the rest of us are to trust our home RAT tests and we don't even need to let our county public health office know if we test positive.

But that means no official diagnosis, which leads me to wonder about getting Paxlovid etc.

I also foresee a time when, potentially, "long covid" treatments might only be covered by insurance if one had a formal diagnosis of covid in the first place, which now seems impossible to get. Argh.
OHA is Oregon Health Authority. It's a government agency and it's parent is Oregon Department of Human Services. It is also where people can go to get stats on Covid (and other things). Like Variant prevalence, wastewater monitoring, ICU and hospital bed info (how many are in use, how many available), etc.

OHA includes most of the state's health care programs, including Public Health and the Oregon Health Plan. This gives the state greater purchasing and market power to begin tackling issues with costs, quality, lack of preventive care and health care access.

More here: Oregon Health Authority : About OHA : State of Oregon

I honestly don't know what the equivalent is in other states. Hopefully the above, and links, will help folks determine that.

OHA is Oregon Health Authority. It's a government agency and it's parent is Oregon Department of Human Services. It is also where people can go to get stats on Covid (and other things). Like Variant prevalence, wastewater monitoring, ICU and hospital bed info (how many are in use, how many available), etc.

OHA includes most of the state's health care programs, including Public Health and the Oregon Health Plan. This gives the state greater purchasing and market power to begin tackling issues with costs, quality, lack of preventive care and health care access.

More here: Oregon Health Authority : About OHA : State of Oregon

I honestly don't know what the equivalent is in other states. Hopefully the above, and links, will help folks determine that.
Thanks. It sounds like it might be the equivalent of, say, California's Department of Public Health. A state agency with local/county offices. In any case, the information is much appreciated!

DH and I had back-to-back hair appointments yesterday with our long-time stylist. She's in her late 40s and told us that she had Covid about six weeks ago. DH had his hair cut about seven weeks ago, but I don't go as frequently. A.. came down with Covid a week or so after DH's previous appointment. She said that she had never been so sick in her entire life and was miserable for nearly a week: Body aches, fatigue, fever, chest pain, cough, and vomiting. She took an at-home test that was immediately positive but did not seek medical care. She had the two original vaccinations and one booster but hasn't had the most recent Covid shots. Seems that people are still getting Covid, and it's no picnic.

Seems that people are still getting Covid, and it's no picnic.
SBMFF

It for darn sure isn't gone. Here in Oregon we currently have 6 different variants going around. XBB, XBB.1.9.2, GE.1, GK.1.1, HV.1 & XBB.1.16.1.

The previous 4 weeks we also had XBB.1.16, XBB.1.9.1, HF.1, EG.5, XBB.1.5, HK.3 & XBB.2.3 going around. Anyone that thinks it's over just isn't paying attention, and unfortunately, that's a lot of people IMO. :(
1700240694333.png

Source of my info: https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...ariantDashboardUpdated/OregonVariantDashboard

It's not going well.

After the doctor complained about paperwork associated with this prescription, he finally sent one, and missed the return fax that there was none stocked at my pharmacy.

I'm currently waiting for a manager or someone in charge now. as they are asking me to call around. Like they never heard the pharmacist lines that day. If this is a doctors office press one. It's insane. And they know they will be closed soon- If I located a pharmacy I would lose the script, as it must be direct. It's a controlled substance. Grrrr.
I feel your pain, as this has been my life (although unrelated to COVID) every month for the past two years. I used to take Adderall until I had to call every pharmacy within a 30 mile radius to find one that had it in stock (there was a nationwide backorder). I would then have to call my doctor's office, leave a message on their prescription line with the pharmacy that had it in stock, hope and pray they'd hear my message before their office closed for the day and before the pharmacy filled it for someone else. I finally had my doctor switch me to Vyvanse to avoid the headache... but several months later, pharmacies started having the same problem with Vyvanse because I wasn't the only person who had that idea. THANKFULLY, the last two months have been okay because they FDA finally approved a generic version and I've been able to find that one in stock. It's been a nightmare on Elm Street! I'm sorry that you had to experience that.

Saw this looking for something else and found it interesting enough to share.

The amount of SARS-CoV-2 virus that needs to be present in the body to trigger the infection is unclear. Other respiratory viruses could offer insight into this number. For example, SARS, another coronavirus, requires just a few hundred viral particles for an infective dose, while the dose for MERS is several thousands of particles.

Proximity to the infected person, air flow, and timing all seem to be critical factors for aerosol transmission. [...] Dutch researchers found that opening windows or doors introduced enough air flow to expel present aerosols. Data published in the journal Nature from hospitals in Wuhan, China found more aerosolized particles in unventilated restrooms than in ventilated patient rooms or even crowded public areas. Researchers noted that aerosols, due to their size, would contain a lower quantity of the virus than much larger droplets.

[...]

Even if the mask does not fully shield from respiratory droplets containing the virus, it can help keep the amount of virus the wearer receives below the infective dose.

Erin Kissane, a co-founder of the COVID Tracking Project, rolled up her sleeve for the Novavax Covid-19 vaccine in mid-October soon after it was finally recommended in the United States. Like many people with autoimmune diseases, she wants to protect herself from a potentially devastating Covid infection.

Kissane’s autoimmune arthritis seems to make her susceptible to unusual vaccine side effects. After getting an mRNA booster last year, her joints ached so painfully that her doctor prescribed steroids to dampen the inflammation. She still considers the mRNA vaccines “miraculous,” knowing Covid could be far worse than temporary aches.

Nonetheless, when the pain subsided, she pored through studies on Novavax’s shot, a vaccine that is based on proteins rather than mRNA and has been used since early 2022 in other countries. Data from the United Kingdom found that people more frequently reported temporary reactions — like low fevers, fatigue, and pain — as their immune system ramped up in the days following booster vaccination with Moderna’s mRNA vaccine versus the one by Pfizer. And those boosted with Novavax’s had fewer complaints than either of those. That finding was corroborated in an analysis of international data published last year...

Erin Kissane, a co-founder of the COVID Tracking Project, rolled up her sleeve for the Novavax Covid-19 vaccine in mid-October soon after it was finally recommended in the United States. Like many people with autoimmune diseases, she wants to protect herself from a potentially devastating Covid infection.

Kissane’s autoimmune arthritis seems to make her susceptible to unusual vaccine side effects. After getting an mRNA booster last year, her joints ached so painfully that her doctor prescribed steroids to dampen the inflammation. She still considers the mRNA vaccines “miraculous,” knowing Covid could be far worse than temporary aches.

Nonetheless, when the pain subsided, she pored through studies on Novavax’s shot, a vaccine that is based on proteins rather than mRNA and has been used since early 2022 in other countries. Data from the United Kingdom found that people more frequently reported temporary reactions — like low fevers, fatigue, and pain — as their immune system ramped up in the days following booster vaccination with Moderna’s mRNA vaccine versus the one by Pfizer. And those boosted with Novavax’s had fewer complaints than either of those. That finding was corroborated in an analysis of international data published last year...

Interesting. I have had all Moderna shots, and my husband has had all Pfizer shots. I think people tend to go with what they are familiar with. But after reading this, I am wondering if I should change to Pfizer this time around, or if it is not a big deal to have one's immune system ramp up with the Moderna vaccine (i.e. it is only temporary without any risks to other possible pre-existing conditions).

Have others mixed their covid vaccines, sometimes Pfizer and sometimes Moderna?

Interesting. I have had all Moderna shots, and my husband has had all Pfizer shots. I think people tend to go with what they are familiar with. But after reading this, I am wondering if I should change to Pfizer this time around, or if it is not a big deal to have one's immune system ramp up with the Moderna vaccine (i.e. it is only temporary without any risks to other possible pre-existing conditions).

For those without special autoimmune considerations, I don't think the vaccine side effects are harmful, just unpleasant. In fact some seem to think they are a demonstration of a strong immune response, ie a good thing. But no side effects are not a sign of poor immune response, so...

I am one of those who got all Moderna until the bivalent came out a year ago. I had moderate side effects each time, but as long as I gave myself a free schedule for a day or so, so I could just hunker down when I was feeling the effects, all else was fine.

For the bivalent, for whatever reason only Pfizer was available at my public health office, so I got that, and had essentially NO side effects. This fall I had a choice and chose Pfizer again.

I didn't think Novavax was offered in my area but a friend reported she just got that one. Now that the shots are available only through commercial pharmacies instead of free via public health offices, I suppose different brands may make their way through the system. I might try Novavax next time.

I initially thought getting different brands might be good, as in "covering all bases", but now knowing that each vaccine wanes in protectiveness in just a few months (ie before the next vax), I don't think it matters. Maybe in coming years we'll have longer lasting vaccines for covid, I hope. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked like tetanus or diphtheria vaxes where (I think) you are protected for a decade or so after each vax?

For those without special autoimmune considerations, I don't think the vaccine side effects are harmful, just unpleasant. In fact some seem to think they are a demonstration of a strong immune response, ie a good thing. But no side effects are not a sign of poor immune response, so...

I am one of those who got all Moderna until the bivalent came out a year ago. I had moderate side effects each time, but as long as I gave myself a free schedule for a day or so, so I could just hunker down when I was feeling the effects, all else was fine.

For the bivalent, for whatever reason only Pfizer was available at my public health office, so I got that, and had essentially NO side effects. This fall I had a choice and chose Pfizer again.

I didn't think Novavax was offered in my area but a friend reported she just got that one. Now that the shots are available only through commercial pharmacies instead of free via public health offices, I suppose different brands may make their way through the system. I might try Novavax next time.

I initially thought getting different brands might be good, as in "covering all bases", but now knowing that each vaccine wanes in protectiveness in just a few months (ie before the next vax), I don't think it matters. Maybe in coming years we'll have longer lasting vaccines for covid, I hope. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked like tetanus or diphtheria vaxes where (I think) you are protected for a decade or so after each vax?

Thanks, this is helpful for my own thought process/analysis. With each Moderna vaccine, I, too, have had to plan for a day and a half off of work due to side effects. I don't mind having the side effects so I wouldn't change manufacturers for that reason, I was just wondering if a person with high inflammation markers is at any risk of having a strong inflammatory response to the vaccine. I am guessing not likely, since I've already had a few Moderna shots, so I will probably go ahead and get Moderna again this coming week.

First 4 shots I had were Moderna - and the last one was Pfizer.

Their coronavirus infections had cleared up, but the patients were met with a grim reality: Scents that were once pleasant had suddenly become foul. Sautéed garlic and onions smelled like rotting garbage, and coffee was no longer palatable.

This distorted sense of smell, known as parosmia, is a fixture of some long Covid illnesses.

Early in the pandemic, smell and taste changes were considered a key symptom of a coronavirus infection. A U.K. study found that around 43% of people who reported losing their sense of smell in March 2020 had parosmia six months later.

But doctors have struggled to determine why people develop parosmia after a viral infection, let alone how to treat it.

New research from Jefferson Health in Philadelphia suggests that a procedure called stellate ganglion block is somewhat effective at reducing parosmia in patients who suffered from the condition for at least six months after their Covid illness and didn’t respond to pharmaceutical or topical therapies.

The treatment involves injecting an anesthetic into the stellate ganglion — a tangle of nerves in the neck that deliver signals to the head, neck, arms and upper chest. It has been used for decades to treat chronic pain...

China pneumonia: Everything we know about new outbreak of respiratory illness​

Reports from local media say children's hospitals are "overwhelmed" with sick children, but Chinese authorities say a surge in sickness is a result of known illnesses circulating more widely after COVID restrictions lifted. Here is what we know so far.​

China has seen an uptick in respiratory illness and clusters of undiagnosed pneumonia in children.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has asked China for more detailed information about the increase in respiratory disease.

Look back to 5 January, 2020, and you'll find a statement from the WHO titled "Pneumonia of unknown cause - China".

It is therefore unsurprising that news of another mystery outbreak has set alarm bells ringing - but a WHO doctor has warned against jumping to conclusions and says getting more information is key.

(...)

What do we know about the mystery illness?

Northern China has reported an increase in influenza-like illnesses since mid-October, compared with the same period in the previous three years, according to the WHO.

Clusters of undiagnosed pneumonia in children in northern China have also been reported by groups including the Programme for Monitoring Emerging Diseases.

(...)

On 21 November, public disease surveillance system ProMed issued a notification about reports of "undiagnosed pneumonia".

The alert, based on a report by Taiwanese outlet FTV News, said children's hospitals in Beijing and Liaoning, 500 miles apart, were "overwhelmed with sick children".

"Many, many are hospitalised," Mr Wei, a Beijing citizen, told FTV News. "They don't cough and have no symptoms. They just have a high temperature (fever) and many develop pulmonary nodules."

In an editor's note, ProMed said: "This report suggests a widespread outbreak of an undiagnosed respiratory illness ... It is not at all clear when this outbreak started as it would be unusual for so many children to be affected so quickly.

"The report does not say that any adults were affected, suggesting some exposure at the schools."

What has China said about the outbreaks?

Chinese authorities said the rise in respiratory illness was partly due to COVID-19 restrictions being lifted.

(...)

Authorities also said the spike was due to known illnesses circulating, including flu, RSV, COVID-19 and mycoplasma pneumonia, a common bacterial infection that typically affects younger children.

The cold weather has also played a part, according to Chinese authorities.

(...)

What has the WHO said?

The WHO has made an official request to China for additional epidemiologic and clinical information as well as laboratory results from the reported outbreaks among children.

It has also requested further information about trends in the circulation of known pathogens referenced by Chinese authorities.

(...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member