Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you have rebound symptoms. I hope you get what you need to feel better.

I've had a cold (not Covid) for about 9 days and have been having nocturnal coughing that interferes with sleep, a lifelong common problem for me after respiratory infections. There seems to be an asthma component to it and I produce a lot of sticky mucus. I've been taking a pill at bedtime with guaifenesin and dextromethorphan but still having a lot of coughing toward morning. But I wish I had a codeine cough medicine--as I recall, it's quite effective.
I can't have codeine (or morphine) as it causes severe stomach issues. When I was getting bronchitis annually many years ago, I always had the residual cough that kept me awake for weeks afterward. I also have allergic cough-variant asthma which contributed to the long-term coughing. Allergist prescribed Tessalon Perles that have numbing effect to stop the cough reflex. I took those successfully for a while, but now I just turn to Robitussin DM when I have nighttime cough.

Last edited:
I too have tummy issues with any narcotic. It’s just not worth it. I used to take Vicks Formula 44. If that is even made anymore it has been reformulated and no longer is effective as before so I take Tussin these days as well.

I can't have codeine (or morphine) as it causes severe stomach issues. When I was getting bronchitis annually many years ago, I always had the residual cough that kept me awake for weeks afterward. I also have allergic cough-variant asthma which contributed to the long-term coughing. Allergist prescribed Tessalon Perles that have numbing effect to stop the cough reflex. I took those successfully for a while, but now I just turn to Robitussin DM when I have nighttime cough.
Thanks for the information. Does your Robitussin DM have only dextromethorphan, or does it have guaifenesin as well?

My regular doctor has prescribed an inhaler for me in the past and told me that I can continue to use it even though it's past its expiration date. Last night before bedtime, I was getting a bit wheezy and decided to use my inhaler in addition to taking a mucus relief pill (guaic+DM). I did well for much of the night. When the coughing started, I used the inhaler again and was able to get some more sleep.

I'm up to date on my Covid and flu shots at least, but I have yet to get the RSV vaccine.

Thanks for the information. Does your Robitussin DM have only dextromethorphan, or does it have guaifenesin as well?

My regular doctor has prescribed an inhaler for me in the past and told me that I can continue to use it even though it's past its expiration date. Last night before bedtime, I was getting a bit wheezy and decided to use my inhaler in addition to taking a mucus relief pill (guaic+DM). I did well for much of the night. When the coughing started, I used the inhaler again and was able to get some more sleep.

I'm up to date on my Covid and flu shots at least, but I have yet to get the RSV vaccine.

I cant get and really want the codiene. Ditto for the tummy issues, and it also gives a lousy sleep. But right now, it's what would be appreciated. I already have tummy issues and no sleep, so it would be worth it, if I had it.

I second the recommends above- and musinex products, too. (Spelled that wrong.) I like the ones that don't have Tylenol, so I can take it separately.

hopefully, by tomorrow or so, i will be able to sleep without cough waking me, and I will be thinking, who wants codiene? It gives you a stomach ache and super light sleep.

MOO

So it's both--sounds like a good product for me to try. Thanks!

I found a good generic from Amazon, less expensive and delivered to my door - Tussin DM Max -same ingredients. I've had a cough - not Covid - for about 2 months. It is Amazon's Basic Care brand. Like the brand name it has both dextromethorphan and guaifenesin. The "Max" version is the same dosage of dextromethorphan and guaifenesin as Robitussin DM Maximum Strength.

I found a good generic from Amazon, less expensive and delivered to my door - Tussin DM Max -same ingredients. I've had a cough - not Covid - for about 2 months. It is Amazon's Basic Care brand. Like the brand name it has both dextromethorphan and guaifenesin. The "Max" version is the same dosage of dextromethorphan and guaifenesin as Robitussin DM Maximum Strength.
Thanks for that.
I need to spend some FSA money and need to stock up.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I need to order some other things anyway. ;)

I'm wondering why I bothered getting the 2 Pfizer shots 2 years ago if they don't help now. I can't find anything about getting any protection from them now. I really want to know if they would help me in any way.
I'm thinking you bothered so you'd be protected from severe illness, hospitalization, and potential death back when you got those vaccines 2 yrs ago @Cool Cats. :) What you need to do if you want to be safe now is to continue to get boosted. There have been 2 updated vaccines targeting what's currently(ish) going around. One back in September 2022 which was the first bivalent vaccine targeting the original strain + Omicron, and the most recent vaccine a few months ago targeting XBB (no longer targeting the initial strain as what's going around today is so far removed it's like apples and oranges. But apples and oranges are still fruit! Just like Delta and Omicron, and XBB, etc. are all covid!). lol

The new shots designed to protect against XBB.1.5 should also protect against more recent virus strains, including EG.5 and BA.2.86.

As for shots from 2 yrs ago helping you today.... think if it like this. Is a flu vaccine you had 2 yrs ago going to help you today? No, it is not. Why? Because the flu, like Covid changes (flu virus changes are called “antigenic drift.”, Covid mutates, like a LOT). IOW... today's Covid strains aren't not the same as the ones years ago.

Another way to look at it is... all the variants are Covid, but they aren't the same. Hence them being named (Alpha, Beta, Delta, Omicron, etc.).

From the CDC:
  • SARS-CoV-2 has consistently mutated over the course of the pandemic, resulting in variants that are different from the original SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Hopefully this helps (and hopefully you'll continue to get boosted). :)

There is not likely not much protection from earlier vaccines for Covid-19 due to passage of time.

The new vaccine (which is not being referred to as a booster IIRC) is a stand-alone vaccine based on the newer variants circulating now. Everyone has to assess their risk of the impact of getting Covid-19. Seniors are more at risk for hospitalization and more severe impact of getting Covid-19, so many are more likely to get the new Covid-19 vaccine. Also indivdiuals with certain medical conditions (obesity, diabetes, etc.) and the immuno-suppressed.

I don't think everyone needs to get the new Covid-19 vaccine, but I do think it should be an informed decision.

Covid and flu shots can be safely given at the same time, and according to a small new study, doing so may even confer benefits.

Findings presented Monday at the Vaccines Summit Boston, an annual scientific conference, suggest that giving Covid and flu shots together could produce a stronger antibody response against the coronavirus than administering the vaccines separately.

The study measured the antibody levels of 42 health care workers in Massachusetts who were vaccinated last fall. Twelve of the participants received a bivalent Covid booster and seasonal influenza shot on the same day. Another 30 received the shots on different days within the span of a month.

Three to four weeks after people got their Covid boosters, those who had received the flu shot at the same time had higher levels of IgG1, an antibody involved in the body's front-line defense against Covid. The results held true six months later, suggesting that co-administering the vaccines could improve long-term protection...

Covid and flu shots can be safely given at the same time, and according to a small new study, doing so may even confer benefits.

Findings presented Monday at the Vaccines Summit Boston, an annual scientific conference, suggest that giving Covid and flu shots together could produce a stronger antibody response against the coronavirus than administering the vaccines separately.

The study measured the antibody levels of 42 health care workers in Massachusetts who were vaccinated last fall. Twelve of the participants received a bivalent Covid booster and seasonal influenza shot on the same day. Another 30 received the shots on different days within the span of a month.

Three to four weeks after people got their Covid boosters, those who had received the flu shot at the same time had higher levels of IgG1, an antibody involved in the body's front-line defense against Covid. The results held true six months later, suggesting that co-administering the vaccines could improve long-term protection...
This is good news for those of us who got our flu and Covid shots the same day! I got mine on October 13 (Friday the 13th!).

This is good news for those of us who got our flu and Covid shots the same day! I got mine on October 13 (Friday the 13th!).

We got ours October 9, which was not only Columbus Day, but a whole array of holidays I never heard of! :)

For the first time in years, I had a minor reaction to the flu shot. I felt nauseous, dizzy, and weak for about four hours the afternoon following the injection. I took Pepto Bismol for the nausea, drank Pedialyte for the dizziness and sat quietly and read. If I had gotten both shots the same day, I wouldn't have known which shot caused the reaction. I got the Covid shot two weeks later and didn't have any side effects.

For people who have busy schedules, or those who have to drive some distance for the shots, getting them at the same time is probably a welcome convenience. For DH and me, time is not an issue, and the Rite Aid is only seven minutes from our home. We had our flu and Covid shots two weeks apart last month.

For the first time in years, I had a minor reaction to the flu shot. I felt nauseous, dizzy, and weak for about four hours the afternoon following the injection. I took Pepto Bismol for the nausea, drank Pedialyte for the dizziness and sat quietly and read. If I had gotten both shots the same day, I wouldn't have known which shot caused the reaction. I got the Covid shot two weeks later and didn't have any side effects.

For people who have busy schedules, or those who have to drive some distance for the shots, getting them at the same time is probably a welcome convenience. For DH and me, time is not an issue, and the Rite Aid is only seven minutes from our home. We had our flu and Covid shots two weeks apart last month.
I don't get the flu shot, never have, but if I did, I would get it separate from the Covid shot, just for the reason that you got yours separate. If you get them together, and have a reaction, you would not know which one caused it. Hope you are feeling better now.

Interesting. I have never had a reaction to a flu shot....yet! And of course if I'd had a reaction this fall, I wouldn't have known which vaccine caused it.

Interesting. I have never had a reaction to a flu shot....yet! And of course if I'd had a reaction this fall, I wouldn't have known which vaccine caused it.
I only started getting a flu shot in 2020, so I have a dataset of four points.

In 2020 and 2021 I have no memory of any unpleasant side effects, presumably excepting a sore arm.

In 2022 I got the flu shot the day before leaving on a trip, and was surprised that I didn't feel great the following day, during which I had to drive 6-7 hours.

This fall I wasn't traveling after my flu shot but I again had a day or so afterwards of not feeling well. Nothing extreme, just general ick and tiredness, and possibly a headache and slight fever.

Upon careful searches through my memory, I don't think I have ever even had the flu, so I do ponder how important it is that I continue getting the annual shots. I guess I'll decide each year whether to take it or pass.

I never got the flu shot until 2009. That year was the year of the H1NI flu pandemic, although I wasn't really aware of it at the time. It hit my fast, all of a sudden my fever shot up really high and I was having trouble breathing while talking. I had just come home from work. I was physicaly fit, had no health issues. I had to go to the emergeny department at our local hospital due to the fever and difficulty breathing, I couldn't even talk as it took too much effort and couldn't breathe. I was hospitalized with pneumonia. Ever since then, I get the annual flu shot.

I've never had any symptoms following the flu shot, even now that I get the high dose flu shot. My husband gets the flu shot and he has never had any symptoms either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cburski2018