Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how it's possible to have a perspective on how many cases the US actually has when there hasn't been a meaningful level of testing in the US yet.

Someone's going to have to pick their statistical poison, imo. Either there are WAY more non-serious cases because people aren't being tested and are also not dying - because clearly people aren't dropping like flies in the US; or far flung testing is conducted and shows that there are a ton of cases with the expected (more or less) number of very serious or fatal cases within a certain limited demographic. Proving that Corona is possibly more contagious but less dangerous, overall, than similar viruses we've dealt with in the recent past. So far, no one's been willing to choose for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Wondering that too. Anyone who talks about how few cases exist in the U.S. isn’t paying attention. In the past couple of days since testing has increased slightly, so have the cases. I can’t imagine why!

There will still be very few cases (relatively) in the US, but the more proven cases there are, the more it will be shown that the virus isn't terribly deadly. jmo

I’m kind of nervous as I had a mammogram on Friday & a stress test yesterday both at medical faculty that is attached to a local hospital & since yesterday evening I have had a sore throat. This morning I woke up with shortness of breath, as well as the sore throat and a mild low-grade fever. Tonight my breathing is more labored & my nose is running. I also have a compromised immune system.
I am praying like crazy that I don’t have the virus. I’m going to contact my Dr now via the local portal. I’m hoping to get an appointment ASAP.

Whatever it is, I hope you are feeling better soon!

COVID-19 vs seasonal flu: What you need to know about both
The numbers are constantly changing, but as of now the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more 34 million people have been sickened by the flu, from 350,000 to 620,000 people have been hospitalized, and from 20,000 to 52,000 people have died from it.

"Right now, the number of COVID-19 cases pales in comparison to the number of flu cases," says Dr. Poland.

Well, there's some reality for ya direclty from the Mayo Clinic. So why is Corona being hyped so much? (rhetorical question)

So, to keep things in perspective. That's only .0016 of the world population, including the extremely high numbers in China, Italy, Iran and South Korea. The US number, taken alone, is infinitesimmaly low.

It's currently very low, thank goodness. The question is whether or not it will stay that way.

There's also different ways to put things in perspective. For instance, despite the currently infinitesimal global confirmed cases, look at what's happening in Italy's hospitals right now in an epidemic that hasn't fully percolated through their entire country ans is more focused in part of the country. Italy also had numbers that were even less than those in the US just a few weeks ago. And they also banned incoming travel from China, just as the US did.

Here's a wild thought. It looks like children under 10 are relatively protected from this virus. Mother's provide immunity to their children through healthy pregnancy - the mother's stores are depleted with each birth. In any case, perhaps the cure to the virus is in that immunity that is provided during pregnancy. There must be a secret ingredient that protects children and where better to look than what they were provided at birth.

Someone's going to have to pick their statistical poison, imo. Either there are WAY more non-serious cases because people aren't being tested and are also not dying - because clearly people aren't dropping like flies in the US; or far flung testing is conducted and shows that there are a ton of cases with the expected (more or less) number of very serious or fatal cases within a certain limited demographic. Proving that Corona is possibly more contagious but less dangerous, overall, than similar viruses we've dealt with in the recent past. So far, no one's been willing to choose for whatever reason.

Not really sure what is being said here, but COVID-19 is already known to have a death rate 10+ times higher than the flu.

How does one know that US citizens aren't dying of COVID-19 if the testing rate is lagging?

Wondering that too. Anyone who talks about how few cases exist in the U.S. isn’t paying attention. In the past couple of days since testing has increased slightly, so have the cases. I can’t imagine why!
Do we know for certain we have people in the US that need to be tested but can’t? Or do we have people that want to be tested but really don’t need a test. I’m not clear on this, are you? I’ve never had to see a doctor for cold/flu but have had to see an allergist. I’d have to be near death to go to a doctor for a cold.
I do think a lot of people feel like a test would clear them, but they don’t understand if they are asymptomatic or in incubation they will get a false negative, as I understand it. We need people to isolate, not think they are in the clear, spreading it all over their community, which might happen if they get a false negative. Also, there seems to be no purpose in getting a negative test today and being out on the town tomorrow.

It's currently very low, thank goodness. The question is whether or not it will stay that way.

There's also different ways to put things in perspective. For instance, despite the currently infinitesimal global confirmed cases, look at what's happening in Italy's hospitals right now in an epidemic that hasn't fully percolated through their entire country ans is more focused in part of the country. Italy also had numbers that were even less than those in the US just a few weeks ago. And they also banned incoming travel from China, just as the US did.

Italy appears to be an anomoly. Most of the information I'm seeing, however, is showing that that vast majority of deaths and severe cases are, as expected, in people 80 years of age and older, with co-morbidities. Apparently, Italy has the oldest population in all of Europe. A lot of smokers. Not fantastic healthcare in some areas, etc., etc. I'm not at all concerned that the US will be anomolous in that way, and I'm sure we'll find out the unique explanation for what's going on there in time. jmo

Meh, I'm with them. Those who are concerned, legitimately or otherwise, can choose to stay home and not associate with anyone who goes. Most people aren't going to die from this, OR overwhelm the healthcare system with legitimate dire cases. Most of the "overwhelming," if any, will be done by the panicked. jmo

I think it's more likely to be the serious pneumonia cases that would overwhelm the health system, if that happens.

I’m so excited to see that Dr Tony Fauci has joined us on the thread and is sharing his 40+ years of experience with epidemics with us and making predictions about fatalities! Not. Even he is not making predictions written in stone, but he is sounding a warning that we need to be ready for whatever happens. If he isn’t minimizing this, I don’t understand why any of us would have the hubris to do so.

Not really sure what is being said here, but COVID-19 is already known to have a death rate 10+ times higher than the flu.

How does one know that US citizens aren't dying of COVID-19 if the testing rate is lagging?
Sadly we don't. But if I was a betting person, I'd throw all my chips in to bet that's whats happening. (lack of testing keeping the numbers low)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot