Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have thousands angry that their kid isn’t going to be able to show their pig or cow or whatever at the Houston rodeo. Not even kidding. They think this whole thing is ridiculous, the media has blown it completely out of proportion, and there was no reason to cancel the rest of the rodeo.

So, to answer your question, no, I don’t think all (or even most, sadly) folks would be on board with self quarantining for a few weeks to put a stop to this virus.

They’ve got pigs and cows to show. Among other asinine reasons why people can’t pause their life to stop a pandemic.

Meh, I'm with them. Those who are concerned, legitimately or otherwise, can choose to stay home and not associate with anyone who goes. Most people aren't going to die from this, OR overwhelm the healthcare system with legitimate dire cases. Most of the "overwhelming," if any, will be done by the panicked. jmo

There are approximately 105,000 ventilators in the US right now.

But 80% are currently in use on critically ill people

So there are only ~20,000 free to use on the incoming severely ill with COVID-19.

And about 3,000,000 Americans who are predicted to be in this category

You do the math: It ain't good

I work at a major university in Ontario. I do wonder if we will be shutting down. As of now the updates are positive and seem to minimize the risk. But hearing of U of G talk of online classes to the media as posted earlier I do wonder if they will all move to online classes.

I saw similar stories regarding Western and Ottawa. I linked the U of G story since that’s my child’s school. All of them seem to be waiting on public health to make the call.

Interesting. I wonder if other countries will start to complain that the US is taking this TOO seriously now. lol

Not a chance! Canada has expressed concerned about the suppression of information South of the border for some time, especially keeping an eye on the situation on the West Coast. Other countries, and especially the WHO, would like to see the USA take the coronavirus more seriously.

Not a chance! Canada has expressed concerned about the suppression of information South of the border for some time, especially keeping an eye on the situation on the West Coast. Other countries, and especially the WHO, would like to see the USA take the coronavirus more seriously.

Sure. So long as the US and "investors" are paying out its billions in assistance and "pandemic" bonds. Illness is BIG BIG BIG global business. Make no mistake.

I saw similar stories regarding Western and Ottawa. I linked the U of G story since that’s my child’s school. All of them seem to be waiting on public health to make the call.

I suspect that if campuses close in Ontario, the rest of the country will follow. It's a bit of a race right now to develop teaching continuity resources, with all universities sharing information. Canadian universities make decisions based on information from the provincial government and the WHO.

Toronto secures motel space to isolate homeless people with coronavirus

Uber says it will offer financial assistance to drivers diagnosed with coronavirus
''Uber is urging drivers and delivery people to stay home if they feel sick and offering financial assistance to those diagnosed with COVID-19 or required to self-isolate by public health authorities.

In a company-wide update, CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said Uber intends to temporarily suspend the accounts of riders and drivers confirmed to have contracted COVID-19 or those who’ve been exposed to the virus.

It said the financial assistance will only be available to those with documentation that shows they’ve contracted COVID-19 or are required by health officials to self-quarantine.''

So there are only ~20,000 free to use on the incoming severely ill with COVID-19.

Where's all of that coming from?

I know way too many people stocking up on alcohol. I mean good in a sense. Vodka can be used to sanitize at least. But all this drinking people are doing to ease their fear is gonna ruin their immune systems. I know what happens also when people consume alcohol, they get lazy and don't wash their hands.

Hospitals could be overwhelmed with patients and run out of beds and ventilators as the coronavirus pushes the US healthcare system to its limits
''Ventilators are a key resource for treating respiratory illnesses like COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. They're machines designed to help patients breathe if they're having trouble or can't on their own.

But there's a limited supply in the country, though some are available as part of a national stockpile that also includes protective equipment.

In 2015, New York state released guidelines for how ventilators should be allocated in the event of an influenza pandemic. The flu, like coronavirus, can cause difficulty breathing, and some people may only survive if they get access to a ventilator.

5702a58e91058423008ba7b9

Intensive Care Unit director Dr. Yugan Mudaliar tends to a patient.
Getty Images/Ian Waldie
The report reveals that New York has just 15% of the ventilators it would need at the peak of a severe flu outbreak like the pandemic that ravaged the world in 1918. The report estimates that the need for extra ventilators would peak at more than 18,600 machines, while the state would have about 2,836 available.

"In the event of an overwhelming burden on the health care system, New York will not have sufficient ventilators to meet critical care needs despite its emergency stockpile," the report warns "If the most severe forecast becomes a reality, New York state and the rest of the country will need to allocate ventilators and other scarce resources."

We have thousands angry that their kid isn’t going to be able to show their pig or cow or whatever at the Houston rodeo. Not even kidding. They think this whole thing is ridiculous, the media has blown it completely out of proportion, and there was no reason to cancel the rest of the rodeo.

So, to answer your question, no, I don’t think all (or even most, sadly) folks would be on board with self quarantining for a few weeks to put a stop to this virus.

They’ve got pigs and cows to show. Among other asinine reasons why people can’t pause their life to stop a pandemic.

Musicians are still angry that SXSW was canceled. Most claim it's all a HOAX to stop the party. I just can't anymore...

Not to mention the staffing needed to keep a ventilator running.

I know way too many people stocking up on alcohol. I mean good in a sense. Vodka can be used to sanitize at least. But all this drinking people are doing to ease their fear is gonna ruin their immune systems. I know what happens also when people consume alcohol, they get lazy and don't wash their hands.

Vodka does not have enough % of alcohol content to sanitize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia