Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to thank everyone for this thread. It’s great having so much information in one place and I’ve learned so much from your advice.

I’m well stocked up following the lists posted on the early threads and I was able to fully stock up before the shortages occurred in the U.K.

I have crohns and am a carer for a man with cerebral palsy who already has severe lung damage. I’m grateful for the advice on here in the beginning that enabled us to prepare as well as we possibly could have.

I feel the same way @badgersmythe. There is nowhere to find as much helpful information gathered in one place. It’s a relief to have what we need. I hope y0u both stay as healthy as possible.

I just want to thank everyone for this thread. It’s great having so much information in one place and I’ve learned so much from your advice.

I’m well stocked up following the lists posted on the early threads and I was able to fully stock up before the shortages occurred in the U.K.

I have crohns and am a carer for a man with cerebral palsy who already has severe lung damage. I’m grateful for the advice on here in the beginning that enabled us to prepare as well as we possibly could have.

I sure hope you don't have a closet full of toilet paper.

When we are talking about death rate, it would appear death rate with treatment is one thing, death rate without treatment is another. Italy is so overwhelmed, a lot of people aren't getting treatment. Death rate there is higher than in China. There is no doubt medical system in US would get overwhelmed if a lot of people got sick at ones and need hospitalization. US has a lot of old people, a lot of obese people, a lot of people with high blood pressure, and not a lot of hospitals capable of handling many infectious people at once. So our death rate will no doubt be higher if a lot of people were to get sick all at once.

China built hospitals overnight, the USA is not prepared to do that, and Italy seems to lack the medical equipment.

Yes, obesity in USA population will contribute to a higher mortality rate.

I have no idea why it would make sense to ban Europe but not UK? UK has hundreds of cases. So how does it make sense?

It's another silly political thing. The USA does not want to offend the UK, and banning flights from the UK might be perceived as an offence, so it's okay to ban flights from all of the EU and the UK, with so many infected people, is welcome into the USA, also with so many infected people.

China built hospitals overnight, the USA is not prepared to do that, and Italy seems to lack the medical equipment.

Yes, obesity in USA population will contribute to a higher mortality rate.

Hi, catching up (can’t sleep but got a few hours rest and feel a lot better)..

Good point about obesity in the USA...How does USA diabetes statistics compare to China and other nations I wonder...

Australia - Up to 1.6 million people in NSW could be hit by the first wave of a statewide coronavirus outbreak, health authorities warn, with up to 80,000 people likely to require intensive care simultaneously.

Chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant says preparations are underway for 20 per cent of the state's eight million residents to catch COVID-19.

Dr Chant expects every person who becomes ill will pass it on to 2.68 others on average - although this could be reduced through self-isolation, social distancing and handwashing.

"We're anticipating 20 per cent of the population in the first wave to be affected," Dr Chant told a NSW budget estimates hearing on Thursday.
NSW virus 'first wave' may hit 20 per cent

Seriously? Why would anyone want to get into the one country that has fumbled again and again during a pandemic? That's absurd.

The article seems to be more about Americans in Europe not knowing if they were included in the ban. The embassies didn’t know! And also, Americans at airports in the U.S. canceling flights to Europe. I guess “there’s no place like home.” But to your point, yup.

I have 3 weeks of food in the house, and I stocked up in 3 different trips, trying to appear inconspicuous, no toilet paper hoarding.

Hoarding tp?
A hundred years ago there was no toilet paper. Come on. You can live without tp. Stock up on things you cannot live without. But grab tp while you can....
Soap. Water. Canned food. Dried food. Rice and beans. You remember, the basics. Aspirin. Bandages. Pet food. Kitty litter. If you’re a prepper, good for you. A step ahead. The rest of us will catch up.

LOL! I think he’s referring to “flattening the curve”....slowing things down by social distancing so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. But it did make a funny mental image. :D

That's the latest rhetoric ... flattening the curve, finding a way to avoid the "bomb" that exploded in Italy. Talking about it, recognizing that it is the last line of defence, is not good enough. All the politicians messed up with their economic priority over humanity.

Can Greta Thunberg change her focus from big oil to natural over-population controls?

Hoarding tp?
A hundred years ago there was no toilet paper. Come on. You can live without tp. Stock up on things you cannot live without. But grab tp while you can....
Soap. Water. Canned food. Dried food. Rice and beans. You remember, the basics. Aspirin. Bandages. Pet food. Kitty litter. If you’re a prepper, good for you. A step ahead. The rest of us will catch up.

Exactly. People lived for centuries without pampers. Why would anyone think that life stops with toilet paper?

Scary hey? It's unbelievable that the WHO sat back and encouraged international travel as the virus seeded in every country in the world.

And they had the unmitigated gall to blast the USA for our response to the virus in recent news.

The article seems to be more about Americans in Europe not knowing if they were included in the ban. The embassies didn’t know! And also, Americans at airports in the U.S. canceling flights to Europe. I guess “there’s no place like home.” But to your point, yup.

People from the USA in the EU should hunker down if they haven't gone home by now. This virus has been a thing since December. It's not like everyone didn't have a head's up.

Yes, anyone suddenly "trapped" away from home make their bed and so be it, no more special government flights to rescue USA people in other countries. Time's up.

My son is in Australia. He went there in late January, fully aware of the virus. We said goodbye knowing that we would be on the opposite ends of the earth when it blew. So be it.

CT COVID Update Video - 3rd COVID case in CT announced:

CT-N: Public Health Briefing on the Coronavirus

CT announced its 3rd case of COVID on 3/11/2020. Patient described as an elderly (older than 65) male from New Canaan, CT (48 miles by car from NYC), that lives at home, with no known contact with another COVID case, so this person is deemed to have gotten the virus via 'community spread'. Disturbing trend IMO.

CT COVID testing is presently being done to support hospitals only it appears so as to keep CT hospital workers safe and provide care to admitted patients. CT is supposedly training additional workers in the lab so that testing can be ramped up in coming days.

The CT Director of Health said that if you live in SW CT (near New Rochelle and New York City) and you have a cough and fever that you should assume you have COVID. The briefing mentioned that an additional hospital lab (undisclosed hospital in the briefing) in the State will be coming online to assist with test processing. From the briefing it also appears that NYS might be sending CT residents seeking tests in NY back to CT for testing (but no tests for non hospital admitted patients are being administered now in CT). CT presently has 2 tests kits from the CDC which can each test 600 patients. CT has requested 2 more kits from the CDC. Why only 2 kits given the proximity of nearly 1 million Fairfield County residents to New Rochelle and New York City?

So, based on the latest briefing it appears that there is no COVID testing for CT residents (in particular SW CT residents) presently unless they are admitted to the hospital. No words for this state of affairs in CT regarding testing as its quite unclear what State officials were doing to prepare since January particularly given the proximity of the southern portion of the State to New York and the fact that many in the southern portion of State are frequent travelers for work and personal purposes as well.

No mention was made whether there will be a cooperation agreement of any sort in place with New York State to assist possibly with testing and patient treatment. No mention made whether Gov. Lamont has spoken with Gov. Cuomo about COVID related public health issues for some kind of regional coordination. Even with 5-7 more workers coming on board at the State lab and eventually working 3 shifts (now working 2 shifts), its unlikely that if there is the progression of the disease as seen in China, Italy and Washington State whether the State of CT has the testing capacity to handle the situation which is IMO disturbing.

The population of Fairfield Country CT a/o 2017 is just under a million people (949,921 people) and principally work in/around New York City. Based on listening to the latest briefing it appears that the folks in SW CT are 'on their own' for now regarding State assistance unless they are admitted to hospital and being told to follow CDC guidelines if they exhibit symptoms. Private testing options seem to have come online on Tuesday (article below) and might assist the reducing the impact of the many deficiencies present in the State response and apparent lack of resources.

Emergency declaration gives Lamont broad powers

Quotes from article:

The emergency declaration “gives us the opportunity to get more testing capacity faster,” Lamont said. “I’m going to look at the public health regulations and do everything I can to allow more of our local partners here in the state of Connecticut to be better able to do not just collection but testing. That’s the choke point right now.”

Renée Coleman-Mitchell, the state health commissioner, said 56 patients have been tested, with 19 more patients “in the queue” Tuesday. Two state lab workers are currently qualified to do the testing, and can complete up to 20 patients per day, she said. Seven more employees are being trained, which will allow the lab to test 50 to 60 patients per day. [BBM]

At least four hospitals will be able to complete tests on-site after approvals, including Greenwich Hospital.

“Alternate collection sites,” where swabs can be collected for testing in tents or mobile units, are being established at 10 hospitals, Geballe said. Those locations will “enable us to significant increase the volume of samples that we’re collecting, without having to drive those people into our emergency departments,” he said.

The state is working with at least two private commercial providers that have launched testing, he said. Officials have also requested two additional testing kits from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coleman-Mitchell said. The state has received two kits already, which can each test 600 patients.

With higher testing volume, “all the public health office are confident that what that will show us is a lot of additional positive tests,” Geballe said.

Local medical service tests patients for coronavirus from their cars

Quotes from article:

GREENWICH — Murphy Medical Associates is testing people who think they might have the novel coronavirus, and patients never have to leave their car.

The drive-thru operation, modeled on programs in South Korea and the United Kingdom, began Tuesday in Greenwich, Stamford and Stratford locations. Keeping patients in their car will allow medical offices to care for their patients while keeping any actual cases of coronavirus away.

Dr. Steven A. R. Murphy said he dubbed the practice “drive-thru” because the name makes the practice seem catchier, and it reminds people with possible symptoms to stay away from medical offices and emergency rooms. He said he knows of at least three other doctors in Greenwich who are testing patients in their parking lots.

In his group’s operation, people register online and a tele-medicine review is set up. Outside the epidemic, Murphy Associates frequently conducts the remote phone or online reviews for new patients before they visit the office.

The actual tests take place at the groups’ offices at 1 East Putnam Ave. in Greenwich, 2900 Main St. in Stratford and 30 Buxton Farms Rd. in Stamford. There, patients keep their windows up while their ID and insurance are checked. Farther on, clinicians in full protective gear collect samples.

The tests were privately developed by New Jersey-based Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp of North Carolina, both of which had their kits expedited through Food and Drug Administration approvals, given the spreading epidemic, Murphy said. Quest Diagnostics announced Monday its tests are available to order, followed by LabCorp making the same announcement on Tuesday. Neither laboratory system collects samples.

The capacity to test is increasing as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expanded its criteria for judging if someone should be tested. Still, the CDC advises clinicians to follow a set of criteria for determining who should be tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia