Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy is truly going for "survival of the fittest."
Old and those with pre-existing conditions aren't even getting treatment. I find that horrific. As far as I can tell, China was not doing that (at least they weren't admitting to it publicly), and they had a lot more cases.

Italy is truly going for "survival of the fittest."
Old and those with pre-existing conditions aren't even getting treatment. I find that horrific. As far as I can tell, China was not doing that (at least they weren't admitting to it publicly), and they had a lot more cases.

Scary to learn about the triage prioritizing, but that explains why the death rate is higher for people over 60. They slipped down the list when someone in their 30s, for example, needed the same bed.

Nations are closing borders, stocks are plummeting and a New York Times headline reads: “The Coronavirus Has Put the World’s Economy in Survival Mode.” Both political parties have realized the crisis could severely impact the November elections — House, Senate, presidency. And sacré bleu, they’ve even shuttered the Louvre!

Some of these reactions are understandable, much of it pure hysteria. Meanwhile, the spread of the virus continues to slow.

More than 18,000 Americans have died from this season’s generic flu so far, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2018, the CDC estimated, there were 80,000 flu deaths. That’s against 19 coronavirus deaths so far, from about 470 cases.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coron...peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

Nations are closing borders, stocks are plummeting and a New York Times headline reads: “The Coronavirus Has Put the World’s Economy in Survival Mode.” Both political parties have realized the crisis could severely impact the November elections — House, Senate, presidency. And sacré bleu, they’ve even shuttered the Louvre!

Some of these reactions are understandable, much of it pure hysteria. Meanwhile, the spread of the virus continues to slow.

More than 18,000 Americans have died from this season’s generic flu so far, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2018, the CDC estimated, there were 80,000 flu deaths. That’s against 19 coronavirus deaths so far, from about 470 cases.

Mortality rate for regular influenze is 0.1%, coronavirus is 3.4% and higher for places like Italy.

Where is the virus slowing?

It's basic triage but this must be devastating for the families of those who are ill and the health care team as well. I can't imagine making these decisions.
I don't know how it's in other countries, but here in Sweden it's not that rare that the doctors at the emergency room make a decision about 0 CPR and/or 0 intensive care, after a discussion with relatives, and with the patient sometimes, if the patient is aware enough. It's usually elderly patients with many illnesses in combination, who would not be able to manage the aftercare after having been through CRP and/or having been sedated in intensive care for a longer period.
In the patient's case journal the doctor who makes the decision have to note on what criteria the decision have been made.

Musings.
My hands are rough and painful from the copious amounts of hand sanitizer and soaps! I did buy the hand lotion LaborDayRN had suggested (thank you) and it works pretty well. Maybe I should be using more.
Is anyone getting headaches from the hand sanitizers? Mine started yesterday and haven't really let up. I figure it is the added scents from the bed bath beyond pocket size varieties I have.
Waiting for the WH press brief.
JMO

CNN on Twitter

This Chicago hospital has built a large tent in its “forward triage” area, originally partly designed to receive infectious disease patients, to serve as an ambulance and private vehicle bay for incoming patients suspected of having the novel coronavirus

Novel Coronavirus(2019-nCoV) Situation Report - 12
Data as reported by 1 February 2020*
Figure 1. Countries, territories or areas with reported confirmed cases of 2019-nCoV, 01 February 2020
HIGHLIGHTS
• The main driver of transmission, based on currently available data, is symptomatic cases. WHO is aware of possible transmission of 2019-nCoV
from infected people before they developed symptoms. Detailed exposure histories are being taken to better understand the pre-clinical phase of infection and how transmission may have occurred in these few instances. Asymptomatic infection may be rare, and transmission from an asymptomatic person is very rare with other coronaviruses, as we have seen with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus. Thus, transmission from asymptomatic cases is likely
not a major driver of transmission. Persons who are symptomatic will spread the virus more readily through coughing and sneezing.
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200201-sitrep-12-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=273c5d35_2

From your link:

The governor also said he’s coordinating with people in the tourism industry.
McMaster named several events across the state that are important for tourism: “the Volvo Car Open in Charleston, the Heritage in Hilton Head and the country music festival in Myrtle Beach, among others." He did not say the events were certain to go on as planned, but he did say the events are important to the economy.
“There remains no cause for public alarm in South Carolina,” McMaster said. "Schools should continue to remain open and provide instruction. State government offices in all 46 counties will stay open. South Carolinians should remain calm and continue their daily normal routines and responsibilities.”
The governor urged people who are sick to stay home. He also said people should wash their hands “all day long” and follow CDC instructions to help not spread the virus.
That is surprising considering all that has transpired just in a matter of a couple of days. Tourism is pretty low as a priority in my state. Officials are trying to slow the spread so that our health systems aren't overwhelmed to the point of incapacity.

At least the NCAA has its priorities straight. They'll play the upcoming games but will restrict attendance.

JMO

"While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States," NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement. "This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed."

NCAA tournaments will be played without fans

Mortality rate for regular influenze is 0.1%, coronavirus is 3.4% and higher for places like Italy.

Where is the virus slowing?
@otto I only posted the link, lol
I have no knowledge of what is fact v fiction.
I do know for every article stating one thing, I can easily find one in direct contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo