Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary to learn about the triage prioritizing, but that explains why the death rate is higher for people over 60. They slipped down the list when someone in their 30s, for example, needed the same bed.
Didn't China have a similar death rate when it came to age as Italy has? I don't think it has so much to do with prioritizing by age, and more to do with prioritizing due to co-morbidity, and unfortunately that's something that usually increase with age.

Mortality rate for regular influenze is 0.1%, coronavirus is 3.4% and higher for places like Italy.

Where is the virus slowing?
Might be slowing in China, but not because they went about their lives as usual. They made a huge number of people to stay inside their homes.
Sure as **** isn't slowing in Europe or US.

Italy is truly going for "survival of the fittest."
Old and those with pre-existing conditions aren't even getting treatment. I find that horrific. As far as I can tell, China was not doing that (at least they weren't admitting to it publicly), and they had a lot more cases.
China built 14 hospitals and flew in tens of thousands of additional medical workers. They were able to expand capacity to deal with the surge of cases.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/article241107116.html

A Beaufort High School employee has self-quarantined while awaiting COVID-19 results, a district-wide email sent to all parents Wednesday night says.

The employee is considered a low risk, with no travel to any international or U.S. locations where the virus has been confirmed.
They are determined to not close a school.....will be interesting to see what they do if the test is positive....genie will already be out of the bottle by that time...

Chicago St. Patrick’s Day parades, river dyeing canceled amid coronavirus worries

Yesterday, they were "dug in" and the party would continue. Today, the parade is canceled.

Good. Chicago's St Paddy's Day is at least a two-day celebration with far more than just a parade. When our grandson was born on March 16 a few years ago, it took us more than two hours just to drive a few blocks. The downtown streets were packed with people, the majority of whom were drunk.

JMO

@otto I only posted the link, lol
I have no knowledge of what is fact v fiction.
I do know for every article stating one thing, I can easily find one in direct contradiction.

Thanks! There's much misinformation circulating in some countries. It's a bit mind-boggling that politicians are telling populations that there's nothing to worry about when health professionals are saying something different. That's China all over again.

Politicians should either echo health professionals or remaining silent.

I just look at the actual numbers:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 126,121 Cases and 4,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

I haven't seen any country publish a mortality rate of 1% for the coronavirus after it is an epidemic.

It’s currently setting at 3.4% per the WHO, the 1% is the “assumed” total calculation based on the assumption that approximately 80% don’t seek medical help....

So, the way I understand it, 3.4% based on confirmed cases, 1% based on combined confirmed + assumed cases....

Though, personally, I think we’ll see those numbers fluctuate a lot until the dust settles.

Musings.
My hands are rough and painful from the copious amounts of hand sanitizer and soaps! I did buy the hand lotion LaborDayRN had suggested (thank you) and it works pretty well. Maybe I should be using more.
Is anyone getting headaches from the hand sanitizers? Mine started yesterday and haven't really let up. I figure it is the added scents from the bed bath beyond pocket size varieties I have.
Waiting for the WH press brief.
JMO
Try washing your hands a few seconds after The hand sanitizers when you can to wash the scent off. B and b w products smell great but they give me a headache.
I am using aveeno body wash as my hand soap, less drying.

U.K Coronavirus news
Good idea imo. Italy should think about this too.
Thousands of trainee nurses in their final year will be 'invited' to start their careers before they qualify so they can help to tackle coronavirus

NHS England chief executive Simon Stevens said some of the 18,000 students who are now in their final year of training would be ‘invited’ into clinical practice.

They are in their last 12 months of a three-year degree and would start practising on hospital wards up to six months early without finishing their full training.

NHS trainee nurses to work on wards to help tackle coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Try washing your hands a few seconds after The hand sanitizers when you can to wash the scent off. B and b w products smell great but they give me a headache.
I am using aveeno body wash as my hand soap, less drying.
If you can wash your hands with soap and water, you don't need to use hand sanitizer first. Hand sanitizer should be reserved for times when you can't use soap and water.

Canada has reported more than 100 cases of novel coronavirus disease

Ontario has had a total of 42 cases. British Columbia has 46, Quebec has eight and Alberta has reported 19 cases. This brings the total to 117 as of March 11.

Most of Canada’s cases are related to travel, with the individual acquiring the virus abroad.

A handful of cases have been people who were in prolonged close contact with other confirmed cases, like an infected person’s spouse.

More recently, there have been a few reports of “community-acquired” cases of COVID-19.

VALDOSTA, Ga. (WTXL) — The Georgia Department of Public Health has reported a positive case of COVID-19 in Lowndes County.
The infected person is being hospitalized but the source of exposure is unknown. Officials haven't released any other details about the case at this time.

Presumptive positive case of coronavirus reported in Lowndes County

This is going to unfold for months': Infectious disease expert who predicted the spread of coronavirus says 'just breathing' is worse than hand contamination but wearing a mask won't protect you either

'It's just beginning,' Osterholm said. 'In terms of the hurt, pain, suffering, death that has happened so far is really just the beginning,' he told host Joe Rogan. 'This is going to unfold for months to come. We're gonna be in some hurt for the next few months.'

Comparing the novel coronavirus to strains, Osterhol said this has the potential to be '10-15 times worse than the worst seasonal flu season'.

Osterholm told Rogan the 'whole issue of using your hands and touching your face' is likely not the main way the infection is passed. 'The data is actually very weak that the virus is going to be transmitted this way.'

He added that 'just breathing air' is likely the primary way coronavirus is spreading but warned surgical masks don't block small airborne particles from passing through and entering the nose the mouth.

Infectious disease expert who predicted the spread of coronavirus says wearing a mask won't help | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214