Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG !!!

S.C. governor says schools should not close, events should not cancel in wake of coronavirus

S.C. governor says schools should not close, events should not cancel in wake of coronavirus

OMG is right! I am literally shaking right now. Thousands of South Carolinians have just been sentenced to death! I tend to be panicky and paranoid anyway, but now … I can't even comprehend this mindset that we here in South Carolina should just continue about our daily lives as though this deadly virus is going to skip right over us. Car shows and music festivals are not going to save us! I have to be honest … I'm scared!!!

Ok great. I head out of town on a 2 day road trip and I stay overnight at a hotel in the one small County in south Georgia that has a positive case last night, go figure. Hope it wasn't a worker where I stayed as I was very very lax. SMDH

Hotel rooms in general make me nervous germ wise but I have a work meeting next week in Nashville. I could drive up and back in a day but that would mean a very long (like 16 hour) day. However I don’t want to risk it in a hotel. I keep waiting to hear the meeting is postponed but so far, it is on. Ugh

COLUMBIA, S.C. —

The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control announced Wednesday that it is investigating one new possible case of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus in Lancaster County.

This brings the total number of presumptive positive cases to eight, along with two confirmed cases.

My folks live there....took me a month to get them to prepare but they are prepared and are isolating.

hope their governor knows! From page 2:
“There remains no cause for public alarm in South Carolina,” McMaster said.

Trump on.

Best team in the world. Took early action and now seeing fewer cases than Europe.

Strong actions:
Suspending all travel from Europe for 30 days effective midnight Friday. Will not apply to U.K.

Health insurance will waive copays for coronavirus treatment.
Antiviral treatments to be available in record time.
Testing is expanding...moving quickly...risk low for young Americans
Elderly must be careful
Nursing homes should suspend non-essential visits
Smart action today will prevent the spread of the virus tomorrow
We each have a role to play regarding sanitation, and if sick stay home.
Financial relief for workers impacted...asking Congress
Greatest economy in world...gives us resources to handle anything
Small Bus Admin to provide loans to small businesses
Defering Tax payments
Payroll tax relief to Congress
Will never hesitate to take whatever necessary steps
Virus will not have a chance against us
All in this together...put politics aside, stop partisanship
Future brighter than anyone can imagine
Will emerge stronger than ever before

Last edited:
ALL European countries must enforce total coronavirus lockdown like Italy within 10 days, ex-Italian PM warns ALL European countries must enforce total coronavirus lockdown like Italy within 10 days, ex-Italian PM warns #coronavirus #covid19 #wuhanpneumonia Novel Coronavirus - COVID19 on Twitter

No kidding. That should have been done when China was the only country with the problem, but economics was the priority and now it's everyone's problem ... and still the economy will crash.

In the US, Donald Trump says, “To keep new cases from entering our shores we will be suspending all travel from Europe to the US for the next 30 days.” (United Kingdom not included)

There are currently 1276 cases in the US, according to Johns Hopkins University

US President Donald Trump says, “If you are sick or not feeling well, stay home.

To ensure that Americans will not suffer financial hardship he will soon be taking “unprecedented measures” for financial relief for workers who cannot work due to illness.

37s ago 01:08

US President Donald Trump says, “If you are sick or not feeling well, stay home.

2m ago 01:07

Donald Trump says Americans should avoid “non-essential travel to crowded areas”

Trump plans to have the Small Business Administration provide economic loans in affected states and territories for small businesses. Asking congress to increase funding for this programme by US$50bn.

“I will never hesitate to take any of the necessary steps to protect the health safety and wellbeing of the American people,” Trump says of the European travel restrictions.

“No nation is more prepared or resilient than the United States.”

Coronavirus live updates: US suspends all travel from Europe for 30 days

What is the City of Boulder doing?

“Our current, standard drinking water treatment methods assure a complete disinfection process, with no threat of drinking water becoming a source of the virus.

Our wastewater recovery process uses an ultraviolet light disinfection system to assure the destruction of viruses before water is returned to Boulder Creek.”

Thoughts? Did we ever get confirmation of transmission via water? Tia.

Information About COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus)

White House takes steps to protect health care workers from coronavirus, hours ahead of Trump's Oval Office address
Published 2 hours ago
Last Update 1 hour ago

“President Trump signed a memorandum directing his cabinet to make general-use face masks available to health care workers, while the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a letter on an authorization to make available millions of general-use respirators to health care workers.

“President Trump is focused on the health of the American people, and so his administration has taken action to provide protection to manufacturers that will enable production of millions of additional masks for our healthcare providers,” the White House said in a statement.”

[...]

“He called the expected order “a very strong first step toward increasing domestic production by enforcing Buy American requirements for pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, as well as fast-tracking approval” by the Food and Drug Administration of "critical products impacted by the coronavirus outbreak’s strain on the supply chain.””

Trump live:

Trump Oval Office 03/11/2020

In the US, Donald Trump says, “To keep new cases from entering our shores we will be suspending all travel from Europe to the US for the next 30 days.” (United Kingdom not included)

There are currently 1276 cases in the US, according to Johns Hopkins University

To ensure that Americans will not suffer financial hardship he will soon be taking “unprecedented measures” for financial relief for workers who cannot work due to illness.

37s ago 01:08

2m ago 01:07

Donald Trump says Americans should avoid “non-essential travel to crowded areas”

Trump plans to have the Small Business Administration provide economic loans in affected states and territories for small businesses. Asking congress to increase funding for this programme by US$50bn.

“I will never hesitate to take any of the necessary steps to protect the health safety and wellbeing of the American people,” Trump says of the European travel restrictions.

“No nation is more prepared or resilient than the United States.”

What a clever decision! All people traveling from the EU to the USA will take flights from the UK.

CDC Guidance on Water and Transmission of COVID:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Water Transmission and COVID-19
Drinking Water, Recreational Water and Wastewater: What You Need to Know

Can the COVID-19 virus spread through drinking water?
The COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water. Conventional water treatment methods that use filtration and disinfection, such as those in most municipal drinking water systems, should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

Is the COVID-19 virus found in feces?
The virus that causes COVID-19 has been detected in the feces of some patients diagnosed with COVID-19. The amount of virus released from the body (shed) in stool, how long the virus is shed, and whether the virus in stool is infectious are not known.

The risk of transmission of COVID-19 from the feces of an infected person is also unknown. However, the risk is expected to be low based on data from previous outbreaks of related coronaviruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). There have been no reports of fecal-oral transmission of COVID-19 to date.

Can the COVID-19 virus spread through pools and hot tubs?
There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

Can the COVID-19 virus spread through sewerage systems?
CDC is reviewing all data on COVID-19 transmission as information becomes available. At this time, the risk of transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19 through sewerage systems is thought to be low. Although transmission of COVID-19 through sewage may be possible, there is no evidence to date that this has occurred. This guidance will be updated as necessary as new evidence is assessed.

SARS, a similar coronavirus, has been detected in untreated sewage for up to 2 to 14 days. In the 2003 SARS outbreak, there was documented transmission associated with sewage aerosols. Data suggest that standard municipal wastewater system chlorination practices may be sufficient to inactivate coronaviruses, as long as utilities monitor free available chlorine during treatment to ensure it has not been depleted.

Wastewater and sewage workers should use standard practices, practice basic hygiene precautions, and wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as prescribed for current work tasks.

Should wastewater workers take extra precautions to protect themselves from the COVID-19 virus?
Wastewater treatment plant operations should ensure workers follow routine practices to prevent exposure to wastewater. These include using engineering and administrative controls, safe work practices, and PPE normally required for work tasks when handling untreated wastewater. No additional COVID-19–specific protections are recommended for employees involved in wastewater management operations, including those at wastewater treatment facilities.

For additional information:
CDC: Guidance for reducing health risks to workers handling human waste or sewage

CDC: Healthcare professionals: Frequently asked questions and answers

CDC: Healthy Water

Occupational Safety and Health Administration: COVID-19 Control and Prevention: Solid waste and wastewater management workers and employersexternal icon

World Health Organization: Water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management for COVID-19external icon

Very good article @zecats
More sentiment on same line:
Chris Hayes
@chrislhayes

·
Mar 11

This is the key: we need social solidarity at this moment to break the back of the outbreak. We are going to do this for each other, and we need our government to take steps to reduce economic hardship and protect the vulnerable.

A quick reminder that if you are a healthy adult, you are not cancelling your event or travel or conference because of yourself - but because of the more vulnerable people who will suffer if you become a vector. The number of deaths will depend on how we all behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust