Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was very little said by the Pres about testing in this country. Very little about social distancing.

The government really has to come out and support cancelling of large events. Tonight three of my aunts in their late 60s were complaining about the St Patrick’s Day parade being cancelled when they each visit their other sister currently undergoing chemo once a week. The cognitive dissonance is getting scary. People don’t understand why large gatherings are dangerous and how harmful this virus can be to people with compromised immune systems!

Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson test positive for coronavirus in Australia

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson have coronavirus. He wrote in a post on Instagram:

“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.”

Coronavirus live updates: US suspends all travel from Europe for 30 days, excluding UK

:eek: They are on the Gold Coast, Queensland for a film shoot. It’s about 40 minutes from where we live. We are more inland on acreage so not worried. Just laying low and have ordered in a 30 day food survival package in case everything hits the fan.

I blame this on our culture, especially work culture. Sure, many of us get sick days, but bosses are notorious for making employees feel guilty or even as if their job is at risk for using them. I feel like we are conditioned to keep trucking when we are sick.

yep it's like a badge of honor if you go to work sick

The government really has to come out and support cancelling of large events. Tonight three of my aunts in their late 60s were complaining about the St Patrick’s Day parade being cancelled when they each visit their other sister currently undergoing chemo once a week. The cognitive dissonance is getting scary. People don’t understand why large gatherings are dangerous and how harmful this virus can be to people with compromised immune systems!

I hope they don't infect her with something!

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the UK exempt from the European travel ban?

I'm guessing it's politics. When Israel decided that travellers from the USA had to be quarantined, there's was some complaining from the USA, so Israel decided that travellers from all countries must be quarantined for 14 days. It was the politically neutral thing to do.

It seems like quarantining or banning people from some countries is perceived as a personal slight by some. In this case, there's perhaps an intent to place the UK as a special friend.

Australia - our federal government has been proactive and announced a large stimulus package to navigate through this pandemic.

THE $23B FEDERAL CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN

HELP FOR PENSIONERS AND WELFARE RECIPIENTS

* Deeming rate cut by 50 basis points, with an average benefit of $219 a year

* A $750 one-off, tax-free payment from March 31 for about 6.5 million people.

FOR CASUAL WORKERS

* Immediate access to the sickness payment if they need to self-isolate.

TO HELP TOURISM AND TRADE

* A $1 billion fund for communities hurt by coronavirus flow-on effects

* The ATO will open a shopfront in Cairns help small business

FOR BUSINESS

* About $6.7 billion over four years for individual $25,000 tax-free payments for businesses turning over up to $50 million a year

* The minimum payment for business will be $2000

* The amount will be 50 per cent of tax withheld to the ATO on employees' wages

* The government hopes it will benefit 700,000 businesses and 7.8 million workers

* From Friday to July 1, the instant asset write-off for businesses will rise from $30,000 to $150,000

* It will be expanded to businesses with an annual turnover of up to $500 million instead of $50 million, at a cost to the federal budget of $700 million

* $3.2 billion for businesses with a turnover of less than $500 million to deduct an extra 50 per cent of asset costs in depreciation

* It's expected to help 3.5 million businesses
Support for business to prevent virus hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members