Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth can the world just not agree to bring all travel to a stand still?

let’s all just stay home for a month and get this cleared away so we can resume our lives sooner rather than later.

I just want this over with and if I need to stay home for a few weeks but then this is majorly cleared up so be it.

Am I alone in thinking like this?

IMO

let’s all just stay home for a month and get this cleared away so we can resume our lives sooner rather than later.

I just want this over with and if I need to stay home for a few weeks but then this is majorly cleared up so be it.

IMO

agree
it's not easy self-isolating but the possible alternative is much, much worse

The NBA is now suspending the season.

a player tested positive

(Sitting on my hands)

Whatcha got to say about that @lebronjames

—-

“The NBA announced that it has suspended its season until further notice after the completion of Wednesday night's games after a member of the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for the coronavirus.

The player is the Jazz's Rudy Gobert, sources told ESPN. That led to the Jazz game at Oklahoma City being postponed just before tipoff.“

NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

—-

“Wednesday's Oklahoma City Thunder-Utah Jazz game at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City was postponed before tipoff, with the Thunder's public-address announcer saying the decision was made "due to unforeseen circumstances."

The starting lineups were announced, and it appeared the game was ready to start. Then, after conversation among the officials, the teams went back to the locker rooms and the officials left the floor.”

Thunder's home game postponed before tipoff

—-

Jazz/Thunder Game Postponed After Rudy Gobert Illness, Cops Shut Down Arena

Last edited:
It would be VERY interesting if we had a FLU thread, as we do with this Corona Virus thread.
Which States, countries, have it. How many patients in hospital, how many deaths.
In my opinion, it would blow our minds.
Nations are closing borders, stocks are plummeting and a New York Times headline reads: “The Coronavirus Has Put the World’s Economy in Survival Mode.” Both political parties have realized the crisis could severely impact the November elections — House, Senate, presidency. And sacré bleu, they’ve even shuttered the Louvre!

Some of these reactions are understandable, much of it pure hysteria. Meanwhile, the spread of the virus continues to slow.

More than 18,000 Americans have died from this season’s generic flu so far, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2018, the CDC estimated, there were 80,000 flu deaths. That’s against 19 coronavirus deaths so far, from about 470 cases.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coron...peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

Australia - our federal government has been proactive and announced a large stimulus package to navigate through this pandemic.

THE $23B FEDERAL CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN

HELP FOR PENSIONERS AND WELFARE RECIPIENTS

* Deeming rate cut by 50 basis points, with an average benefit of $219 a year

* A $750 one-off, tax-free payment from March 31 for about 6.5 million people.

FOR CASUAL WORKERS

* Immediate access to the sickness payment if they need to self-isolate.

TO HELP TOURISM AND TRADE

* A $1 billion fund for communities hurt by coronavirus flow-on effects

* The ATO will open a shopfront in Cairns help small business

FOR BUSINESS

* About $6.7 billion over four years for individual $25,000 tax-free payments for businesses turning over up to $50 million a year

* The minimum payment for business will be $2000

* The amount will be 50 per cent of tax withheld to the ATO on employees' wages

* The government hopes it will benefit 700,000 businesses and 7.8 million workers

* From Friday to July 1, the instant asset write-off for businesses will rise from $30,000 to $150,000

* It will be expanded to businesses with an annual turnover of up to $500 million instead of $50 million, at a cost to the federal budget of $700 million

* $3.2 billion for businesses with a turnover of less than $500 million to deduct an extra 50 per cent of asset costs in depreciation

* It's expected to help 3.5 million businesses
Support for business to prevent virus hit

Canada has proudly announced $1 billion.

"The Canadian government is launching a $1-billion response fund to fuel the domestic and global fight to contain the novel coronavirus disease known as COVID-19."​

https://globalnews.ca/news/6659384/coronavirus-funding-trudeau/

As reported in Australian MSM......

Hanks is currently on the Gold Coast filming Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis biopic.

Production on the film, based at Oxenford Studio on the northern Gold Coast, has been shut down. In a letter to crew and actors this morning, Mr Luhrmann said a crew member had tested positive for coronavirus and advised them to stay home.

“We request all cast and crew stay at home today and not come to work,” he said in the letter seen by the Gold Coast Bulletin. “All work activity on the production is cancelled and will not resume until further notice. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation and we will be following up with more details over the next several hours.”

As of this morning Australia has almost 150 cases of the coronavirus, with 20 in Queensland. It’s not clear whether Hanks and Wilson have been included in the latest figures from state health authorities.

The couple were in Sydney last week, posting photos on social media of Bondi Beach and the Sydney Opera House.
Tom Hanks tests positive for coronavirus

Last edited:

IMO
I think part of the problem is that many aren't home now and they want to go home.

I have been using those wipes like mad on my phone. Also straight 91% alcohol on a cotton pad.

In other news, the Diocese of San Francisco has closed all the schools in it's territory, which is huge. But my brother's Diocese (in the bay area as well), has not. They said they'd only do so if someone tested positive. Greeaat. My brother also has asthma. And he's a teacher. I'm worried for him.

Italy is truly going for "survival of the fittest."
Old and those with pre-existing conditions aren't even getting treatment. I find that horrific. As far as I can tell, China was not doing that (at least they weren't admitting to it publicly), and they had a lot more cases.

If you have one ventilator and the patient on it is likely to need it for another 24 to 48 hours minimum, and you have 20 new patients come in who need ventilation in the next 12 hours or they will likely die...what do you do? You can't give them treatment that isn't available :(

I would imagine this will be traumatising the hospital staff as well as anyone else, as they aren't used to in-hospital decision-making being like this, and they're not used to battlefield triage.

I don't think there is a country in the world who are so prepared for a pandemic that enough confirmed Covid-19 cases won't cause the same problems in their hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13