Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the MLB 2020 season will be cancelled also if the NBA is cancelling their season. That is unheard of. Networks rely on sports / big$$$ from their advertisers that sports bring.

However, since everyone is frightened and will probably be staying more indoors, should I buy stock in streaming services?
Those ads are likely pre-bought and I bet there’s a contractual clause that covers “act of god” like things tbat can be legally argued to this.

For the very first time in my life, I am happy that our restaurants have never depended on tourism.
With that said, the breaks being put on tourism in my county of San Diego, is going to hurt hugely.
We're in a bit of a small hamlet, downtown San Diego is 60 miles from our little town.
However, the vast majority of our customers to our restaurant are elderly.
Today, I was asked to cater a 95 year olds birthday party for 30 people next month.
this is not all that unusual around here.

I don't get it. Why didn't they cancel before everyone attended???

Denial. The implications of this are too scary so people keep denying the reality. We are all being hysterical. Schools don't need to close. Weddings can continue. Etc. It's bravado. Like the Titanic. "Nothing can sink it." And then suddenly someone realizes this isn't a joke.

Maybe some people’s eyes are opening now because of the NBA, Tom Hanks and the “P” word.

I won’t be surprised if this isn’t the only outbreak in the NBA now, close contact, locker rooms...

Man.

This is insane.

—-

These fans must be in shock:

“After the players left, fans were asked to leave Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City in an orderly fashion”

Utah Jazz All-Star Rudy Gobert Reportedly Has Coronavirus; Arena Empties | HuffPost
*video at link

News is coming so fast it is hard to keep up.

For those of us who have been posting on the CV threads since #1, remember how some people thought it was nothing, and downplayed our concerns?

As of an hour ago, all my friends still do. They probably think it's nuts what just happened tonight and don't understand it because you know, it's just a flu

New York Gov. Cuomo says the real number of coronavirus cases will be “shocking” once there’s more testing.

“It’s here…It’s much more prevalent than we know. The testing does not reflect what it is...if you actually had testing capacity you would see how high the numbers are.”
Cuomo Prime Time on Twitter
Which is why the National Guard are already there...
Waiting...
Imo

UBM

Sadly, imo you are in for a big let-down when the US is finally able to distribute and conduct the mass testing required to know just how many cases you actually have. It's not hundreds.

Jmo.
Absolutely! I wonder when mass testing will happen. No time soon, I expect.

The US could not be more unprepared and behind on mass testing. It' won't be pretty. Jmo.

Last edited:
The government really has to come out and support cancelling of large events. Tonight three of my aunts in their late 60s were complaining about the St Patrick’s Day parade being cancelled when they each visit their other sister currently undergoing chemo once a week. The cognitive dissonance is getting scary. People don’t understand why large gatherings are dangerous and how harmful this virus can be to people with compromised immune systems!

The flu is still floating around, and kills 10000s in the US a year. They need to do more concerning that as well. My 79 yr old Mom just got over it. Mercifully, she is in good health overall, so no complications.

3rd case of COVID-19 confirmed in Utah

“The third case of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, has been confirmed in Utah, officials announced on Wednesday.”

[...]

“Health officials stressed on Wednesday that the new case went through the system smoothly and was addressed quickly since the patient self-identified his symptoms.

"So much went right in this case," Dr. Richard R. Orlandi said at a news conference.

The patient called his health care provider and clinicians prepared for his visit, where a sample was collected without the man entering the facility.

“The health care partners and the patient himself did everything correctly," McCaffrey said.”

[...]

““The system worked just as we hoped it would. We continue to emphasize the importance of calling your provider first if you suspect you may have COVID-19,” said Dr. Thomas Miller, chief medical officer at University of Utah Health, in the release. “This enables us to help control the spread of this virus and better protect our patients, our staff and the community.””

As of an hour ago, all my friends still do. They probably think it's nuts what just happened tonight and don't understand it because you know, it's just a flu
As I read comments on NBA sport radio FB page saying exactly that. Just a flu...overreacting, etc. I don't know what it's going to take to get through to the stubborn, in denial public.

My own brother, today I met him in a coffee shop with my SIL who is getting PT nearby. Same thing - flu was worse, it is what it is, not that bad. I asked him what about Italy and he said What about it?

I love him, but he does not watch the news. He's basically clueless.

The flu is still floating around, and kills 10000s in the US a year. They need to do more concerning that as well.

The issue is the flu is spread out from September through May so there is not a “crunch” that threatens the healthcare system. COVID-19 is spreading rapidly within months, with community spread overwhelming hospitals.

The systemic issue is not the total number of cases or deaths but rather the ratio of current cases to hospital beds at any moment in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjlm730