Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stats this morning for Norway and Denmark. Similar populations (approx 5m) similar number of cases overall (over 600) but Norway only has 3 new cases today and Denmark has 101.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 126,623 Cases and 4,638 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Denmark is attached to the main portion of Europe. Norway faces the sea and Sweden. One border. Virus has to go through Sweden before coming to Norway. Denmark’s border faces all of Europe. Gateway to virus.

Interesting stats this morning for Norway and Denmark. Similar populations (approx 5m) similar number of cases overall (over 600) but Norway only has 3 new cases today and Denmark has 101.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 126,623 Cases and 4,638 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

What a disaster, eh. China messed up, WHO said keep borders open, infected people travelled around the world and yup. Global disaster. I wonder if the WHO could be dismantled after this pandemic and replaced with people who care about people rather than governments.

<snip>

Smoking. China #15; Luxembourg #2; South Korea #32; Italy #41; France #63; USA #69; North Korea #70; Sierra Leone #105; Angola #125; Haiti #166

Smoking could possible be an issue if that paper was correct about smokers having more of the Ace2 things that the virus likes so much?

List of countries by cigarette consumption per capita - Wikipedia

<snip>
The list of cigarette consumption is a bit biased, as the reason why some of the countries that show a high consumption (for example Andorra #1, Luxembourg #2, and Belgium #7) are countries with low prices, and people from neighbouring countries go there to buy cheap cigarettes, it's not their citizens who are chain-smokers.

Denmark is attached to the main portion of Europe. Norway faces the sea and Sweden. One border. Virus has to go through Sweden before coming to Norway. Denmark’s border faces all of Europe. Gateway to virus.

Too late for Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Canada, Finland,
The governing body is the WHO, and they said to keep international borders open and quarantine regions, such as cities. That didn't work. Open international borders is the only reason that the virus is a pandemic.

Why did we trust the World Health Organization. It seems that they had conflicting priorities from the beginning. They are correct today, about the pandemic, but it is so little so late.

Was any one country in denial and influencing the WHO?

Hello everyone. My son has been mad for the past two days since I wouldn’t let him out to hangout with his girlfriend. In Italy the government asked people to stay in. Go out only when needed. Well all his friends went Out. I can’t understand why people can’t buckle down for a few weeks. But now because those can not follow rules everything is mostly closed and you need a paper to carry I guess. I really hope people just stay in. But for Italians this is difficult because they are social butterflies. My market is a 3 minute walk from my apartment. Yesterday I went to a market farther away. 10 minute walk and there was so many older people out. I was really surprise. Maybe they just went out to get some fresh air. I’m not sure what it will be like outside today. People will still be out headed to work or grocery. I will check the live cameras to see what’s it like out there.
It’s so heartbreaking to see the death numbers go up.

Denmark has only one land border. You'd think that a similar number of cases would bring about a similar pattern of spread. Perhaps Norway "caught it" first and are at the tail end of the most infectious period. Could also be about population density as Norway is approx ten times bigger.

Also interesting China has only 18 new cases.

Last edited:
It's another silly political thing. The USA does not want to offend the UK, and banning flights from the UK might be perceived as an offence, so it's okay to ban flights from all of the EU and the UK, with so many infected people, is welcome into the USA, also with so many infected people.

I wonder if it’s more about not offending Ireland.

The list of cigarette consumption is a bit biased, as the reason why some of the countries that show a high consumption (for example Andorra #1, Luxembourg #2, and Belgium #7) are countries with low prices, and people from neighbouring countries go there to buy cheap cigarettes, it's not their citizens who are chain-smokers.

The coronavirus killed people in China because men smoke and it killed people in Milan because they are affluent? Where's the logic?

The short answer is no.

The Coronavirus Outbreak Is About To Put Hospital Capacity To A Severe Test | HuffPost

The U.S. currently has about 160,000 ventilators available, taking into account both what hospitals have on hand and what the government keeps in an emergency stockpile. That is probably sufficient to handle a moderate outbreak *** In the worst-case scenario, doctors would have to ration the use of the machines, potentially deciding which patients get them and which patients don’t.

Nobody is saying this scenario is likely.
You are obviously not listening to the same doctors I'm listening to on twitter. Most say without serious intertvention, we will go the same as Italy.....so three is a small sliver of hope.

Hello everyone. My son has been mad for the past two days since I wouldn’t let him out to hangout with his girlfriend. In Italy the government asked people to stay in. Go out only when needed. Well all his friends went Out. I can’t understand why people can’t buckle down for a few weeks. But now because those can not follow rules everything is mostly closed and you need a paper to carry I guess. I really hope people just stay in. But for Italians this is difficult because they are social butterflies. My market is a 3 minute walk from my apartment. Yesterday I went to a market farther away. 10 minute walk and there was so many older people out. I was really surprise. Maybe they just went out to get some fresh air. I’m not sure what it will be like outside today. People will still be out headed to work or grocery. I will check the live cameras to see what’s it like out there.
It’s so heartbreaking to see the death numbers go up.

In China, people had wrist bands to go out and buy groceries. The world is learning from China how to flatten the curve. Implementing sooner rather than later will help.

The coronavirus killed people in China because men smoke and it killed people in Milan because they are affluent? Where's the logic?
Dis I say anything about who smokes or not, or if there is any logic about that? I was just commenting that the list of cigarette consumption is biased, and it doesn't tell the entire truth, due to cheap prises in some countries with a low population, and a very high amount of sold cigarettes.

I agree @LaborDayRN . Dr Sanjay Gupta just had Don Lemon read off of his phone the the number of coronavirus tests done today. CDC testing today is zero and a total of 8 were performed by other public health agencies across the country.
I don't believe that for one minute. There were over 200 confirmations so st least those were done. As well many states are reporting the number of negatives so we know those are done.....Gupta playing politics....

Australia - Up to 1.6 million people in NSW could be hit by the first wave of a statewide coronavirus outbreak, health authorities warn, with up to 80,000 people likely to require intensive care simultaneously.

Chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant says preparations are underway for 20 per cent of the state's eight million residents to catch COVID-19.

Dr Chant expects every person who becomes ill will pass it on to 2.68 others on average - although this could be reduced through self-isolation, social distancing and handwashing.

"We're anticipating 20 per cent of the population in the first wave to be affected," Dr Chant told a NSW budget estimates hearing on Thursday.
NSW virus 'first wave' may hit 20 per cent

Wow...

Denmark also has only one border. You'd think that a similar number of cases would bring about a similar pattern of spread. Perhaps Norway "caught it" first and are at the tail end of the most infectious period. Could also be about population density as Norway is approx ten times bigger.

Also interesting China has only 18 new cases.

My point, IMO, was that Denmark’s border opens the door to all of Europe. Norway’s border is to Sweden, and from there to Finland. And Russia refuses to admit it has any cases.
But who knows. The virus spreads through a pathway of least resistance. It’s an opportunistic bug. How it spreads to the next person is being investigated intensely. It is key to bringing it under control.

Good morning, just getting caught up! Wow, Tom Hanks and his wife...the NBA suspended their season...I hope this is a wake up call to everyone who told me I was wrong to be worried and that it was just media hype. This is my "I told you so" moment to everyone who has been mocking me and laughing at me and questioning the state of my mental health whenever I mentioned that this was real and this was serious.
My one and only child was born during the H1N1 pandemic. She was fine, my husband and I were fine, but it was a wake up call for me. Since then I've been carrying around Lysol wipes, and hand sanitizer...been opening doors to stores with my sleeve, whatever I could do to limit my germ exposure...all the while getting ridiculed by friends and family. When this all started in Wuhan, I said it would only be a matter of time...and I was laughed at.
With all that being said, I really wish I was wrong this time.
Stay safe, guys. Once again, I'm really glad that we're all here to discuss this like adults without the bickering, mocking, and ridicule that's going on around me. Thanks for being the friends that I need in times like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia