Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“The spread of the virus might slow during the summer, she said, but could pop back up in the winter as the temperature cools. As the disease “exponentially” spreads, the quantity of patients could outweigh the state’s ability to test them, she said. Coloradans should be prepared to self-quarantine if they show symptoms, even without a positive test.

”There is no doubt we’ve got it in Colorado and we need to be prepared that it is spreading among people in the community,” Hunsaker Ryan said. “And you wouldn’t necessarily have to travel somewhere else to pick it up.”

The state will also soon shift away from tracking the movements and contacts of people who tested positive for the new coronavirus, Hunsaker Ryan said.

“When we just had a few cases, it was a good way to try to reduce the spread of the disease, but it will at some point in the near future outweigh our ability to keep up with it,” Hunsaker Ryan said of the contact tracing.”

[...]

“Positive tests have now been reported in 11 counties, with the biggest clusters of positive results in Pitkin and Denver counties. Ten people tested positive for COVID-19 in Pitkin County — all Australians who were visiting Aspen and traveling as a group — and nine have tested positive in Denver, according to the department of health. The test for one more person in Denver was inconclusive, but that patient is being treated as having COVID-19 case and is included in the state’s tally.”

[...{

“Authorities are investigating how 10 of those people were exposed to the virus, the other five either had contact with an infected person or recently traveled abroad.

At least 400 people have been tested for the novel coronavirus in the state since Feb. 28, and 160 people gave samples at a drive-up testing site in Denver on Wednesday. That site was forced to turn people away on Thursday as wait times to be tested reached four hours.

State officials are considering where to open additional mobile testing centers, Hunsaker Ryan said.

“We are talking about doing that today, and in a strategic way so we can help try and determine what the prevalence of this looks like,” Hunsaker Ryan said. “Are there places in the state where people haven’t been tested due to lack of access, but the virus is there? Those are the conversations we are having today.”

-more at link:
Coronavirus cases in Colorado rise to 44 with 11 new positive tests

A Cuban pants factory is turning material usually used for secondary school uniforms into 20,038 face masks, according to state media. Cubans are making coronavirus masks from pants material - CNN

Good. 'Cubans help Cubans'
This reminds me of the concept of “viral load”, as mentioned re: Dr. LW discussions.

Any news on CQ or FB??
( @Tadpole12 / @JerseyGirl )

Nope, but I'll check again. 28 days has to be the max for 'quarantine'?
I fear they have been tortured and beaten to the point that they are never the same as people.

Last update on CQ:

No :( and a call to police said they had no information on him. Chen is now on One Free Press Coalition’s March 2020 list of the 10 most urgent cases of injustice against journalists.

Chinese video journalist who disappeared after covering Wuhan outbreak tops One Free Press Coalition list

Coronavirus Outbreak Has Given Beijing A New Tool To Suppress Dissent

Anxiety Chest Pain: Symptoms, Home Remedies, and More

Re Chest pains a progression of anxiety

I posted the other day about our guys doing emergency construction at a nearby hospital... Last night/this morning, the hospital had us purchase additional materials so we are prepared if/when (probably when, IMO) they need us to do more of the same work. I apologize for being intentionally vague, hopefully my point is clear though.

IME, govt procurement is usually a whole big rigamarole with plenty of formalities and red tape. But this time it is a "just get it DONE" situation. On the positive side, I am happy they are being "proactive" (for lack of a better word), but it is kind of giving me anxiety for what lies ahead.

New, drastic changes implemented in response to coronavirus
Six hundred thousand students will be out of school for weeks to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Updated: March 13, 2020 - 5:12 AM

“SEATTLE — In an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus in Washington state, new and drastic changes are being implemented.”

[...]

“Inslee said he has asked schools to continue providing services for students who rely on school meals or experience homelessness.”

[...]

“On Thursday, Public Health - Seattle & King County announced 36 new cases and one death. The county total is now at 27 deaths with 270 total cases.

Including the King County deaths, the three deaths in Snohomish County, and the Grant County death, the new statewide coronavirus death total is at least 31.

The statewide case number as reported by the Department of Health and local health districts is at least 447.”
-more at link

gettyimages-526988928-293f7047a63e7e9f1647be590102f2021c15b994-s600-c85.jpg

Social distancing is easier in rural areas.
Dean Conger/Corbis via Getty Images

[...]

“Remote rural towns are a good place to be early in a pandemic, as they tend to be more spread out, which potentially means fewer chances to catch a bug. Remote rural areas are also, by definition, way removed from major seaports, airports and often even big highways. So it generally takes longer for new viruses to show up in tiny towns, like Fredonia, Kan.”

[...]

“It's a scenario that has played out before. Alex Navarro, a medical historian at the University of Michigan, says Spanish flu swept the entire U.S. in 1918, except for a few notable exceptions, including Gunnison, Colo.

"You have the story of a town that literally barricaded the roads and forced everyone who did come into town into quarantine," Navarro says.

In fact, all of Gunnison County sealed itself off from the outside world for four months. And it worked. At the height of the Spanish flu pandemic, Gunnison recorded just two cases, both in isolation.”

[...]

BBM:

“Edson says a serious outbreak could quickly overwhelm the local health system.

"If enough people need more hospitalization, well they'll have to go elsewhere and [that's] a fact. It'll be challenging to everybody," Edson says.”

——

Now, let’s take the (full) above article and compare it to this, which is why I said earlier there goes my bright idea of retreating into the mountains”:

BBM:

“Polis called Aspen a “hotspot” for infection, noting that mountain communities are especially vulnerable because of their lack of resources to fight the virus’ spread. Combined with their high altitude and the fact that they draw so many visitors from the Front Range and out of state, they are particularly risky.”

“A test of our Colorado character”: High country will be hardest hit by coronavirus, governor warn
MAR 11, 2020
—-

And this:

“Resort and mountain communities will be hit hardest first, Polis said. They have "limited surge capacity." The governor advises that people over 60 or those with chronic health conditions avoid unnecessary travel to high country outbreak areas and/or attending large public events.”

Colorado Ramps Up Coronavirus Response As Reported Cases Double In One Day, High Country Becomes ‘Hot Spot’
March 11, 2020
Appreciating this post Margarita !

Mass. Mayors Call for ‘Bold Steps’ and Coordination Amid COVID-19 Outbreak

“Curtatone added that the coronvirus is 10-times more potent than the flu and right now, without a vaccine available, social distancing is the best remedy.

"If we don't take bold steps now... we will be behind the eight ball and people's lives will be in jeopardy and our health care system will in jeopardy of collapsing," Curtatone said.”

All politics aside, it is going to be totally irresponsible as an American citizen and just a human being if he does not self quarantine. That is all.
He probably should have been self-quarantining before this. He has been exposed all over the place. As of this morning, he was tweeting, but I don't believe it was from a place of quarantine. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member