Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this was posted yet but Fairfax County Schools in Virginia closed doors at 11:45 last night. My kids in Prince William county could stay home today excused. Sounds like most did per my kids, including teachers. They have only closed Monday and Tuesday so far for deep cleaning and teacher instruction. But packets of work is going home today in the event of weeks long closure.
On a side note when the news went out yesterday the high schoolers from 3 different high schools were celebrating at our local tropical smoothie. :rolleyes:

And this news comes just 1 day after the Prime Minister addressed the nation telling the people the polar opposite. Nothing needs cancelling, football fixtures will go ahead, some with fans some without fans, WTF! schools to remain open etc, live as yous normally do. Just remember to Wash your hands!!! Absolutely shambolic. X

Agreed.
I watched his address yesterday. I’m appalled that, given this is a once-in-a-generation threat, the entire British strategy can be encapsulated in just three words: ‘wash your hands’.
Madness.

Call me mad, call me mad but since the British Racing Association have been in regular contact with the Government and its health officials, The Cheltenham Gold Cup WILL be going ahead this afternoon!! Where 70,000.. yes you read that right SEVENTY THOUSAND race going fans are expected to attend and they will get to enjoy a little flutter, a pint or 2, maybe take home a win but DEFINITIVELY leave with Covid-19!! Just be sure to WASH YOUR HANDS!!-
This is absolutely outrageous to me, an absolute insult to the people of the country who look for leadership in such times of crisis. What a fu@*#!* joke eh! To say shocking! would be an understatement! X

Around 60% of the UK population will need to become infected with coronavirus in order for society to have "herd immunity" from future outbreaks, Sir Patrick Vallance said.

Herd immunity is the resistance to a contagious disease within a population because enough people have become immune, and so it is harder for it to spread.

Coronavirus: Millions of Britons will need to contract COVID-19 for 'herd immunity'
It seems like a plan drawn up from an actuarial point of view rather than a public health one. They do sound convincing when they talk about it, but I'm not sure.

Bringing over this post from @Oddsocks in the last thread to ask the same question (BBM):

"In advice provided to the Prime Minister this evening, the deputy chief medical officer has reiterated that only people who had close contact with the Minister in the preceding 24 hours before he became symptomatic need to self-isolate," a spokesperson for Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton diagnosed with coronavirus - ABC News

Where is this magical 24 hours coming from?”

It seems like a plan drawn up from an actuarial point of view rather than a public health one. They do sound convincing when they talk about it, but I'm not sure.

I think it’s so irresponsible - people are going to think it’s like childhood vaccines instead of an active health threat. They’re not going to take it seriously. Herd immunity means we’re going to accept the 6% death rate among elderly and vulnerable populations - they are not going to survive.

IMO it’s one thing to accept something may happen but another for leaders to present it as their strategy!

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

32 Abstract
33 HCoV-19 (SARS-2) has caused >88,000 reported illnesses with a current case-fatality ratio of ~2%. Here,
34 we investigate the stability of viable HCoV-19 on surfaces and in aerosols in comparison with SARS-
35 CoV-1. Overall, stability is very similar between HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1. We found that viable virus
36 could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on
37 cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar
38 half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability
39 on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for
40 HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that
41 aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for
42 multiple hours and on surfaces up to days

Jmo dry surfaces are more dangerous.

Divorce rate spikes across China after 'couples spend too much time together during coronavirus home quarantine', officials claim

Divorce cases spike in China after 'couples spend too much time during coronavirus quarantine' | Daily Mail Online

(Lol moo)

Boy am I a dummy...my little neighborhood Kroger was busy at 6 am, no tp, lots of shelves bare and no checkers, only the self check. I did get to chat with a nice looking man from Romania, so there’s that.

:D

Last edited:
All Michigan K-12 schools to close for 3 weeks due to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

Governor says ‘this is necessary step to protect’

Michigan's positive coronavirus cases reach 12

Lansing — Michigan confirmed Thursday night that 10 new individuals have tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the "rapidly evolving" statewide total to 12 and triggering the closure of the state's K-12 schools.

The new cases tested in the state's Lansing lab are spread among Ingham, Kent, Montcalm, Oakland, St. Clair and Washtenaw counties, the state health department announced. Those tests have yet to be confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer urged Michigan residents to take precautions against the spread of the disease during a news conference with Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun on Thursday night...

Last edited:
Ethiopia confirms first coronavirus case: Live updates
''11:35 GMT - Ethiopia confirms first coronavirus case

Ethiopia has confirmed its first case of the new coronavirus, the country's public health institute told Reuters news agency.

Takele Uma Banti, the mayor of the capital Addis Ababa, tweeted that a Japanese citizen was the person affected.''

''11:20 GMT - China sends medical supplies, experts to help Italy
A team of nine Chinese medical staff arrived with some 30 tonnes of equipment on a flight organised by the Chinese Red Cross.

"In this moment of great stress, of great difficulty, we are relieved to have this arrival of supplies. It is true that it will help only temporarily, but it is still important," said the head of the Italian Red Cross, Francesco Rocca.''

''11:17 GMT - Czech Republic bans foreign travellers from March 16
The Czech government said it would ban all foreign travellers from entering and all Czechs from leaving the country, with 117 confirmed cases of the virus, as of March 16.''

''11:03 GMT - Iran: Coronavirus cases reach 11,364, death toll 514
Iran says it has registered 85 more coronavirus deaths in the country, bringing the total to 514. Meanwhile, the number of confirmed cases reached 11,364''.

There are now more than 132,500 cases of the coronavirus and nearly 5,000 deaths worldwide, according to the World Health Organization. Over 68,000 patients have recovered globally, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University. Just tuning in? Here's what you may have missed

From the above link:

Iran rejects Trump's offer of help: Iran dismissed an apparent offer by President Trump to help the nation fight coronavirus as “hypocritical” and “repulsive.”

Anxiety over testing:
US citizens suffering symptoms linked to COVID-19 say they have been refused testsafter Vice President Mike Pence said anyone with a doctor's order could get one.”

New coronavirus test 10 times faster is approved, company says — Bloomberg

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted “Emergency Use Authorization” to the test, which runs on Roche’s cobas 6800/8800 systems. The tool also is available in Europe and countries that accept its CE marking for medical devices, Roche said.

The 8800 version is capable of testing 4,128 patients a day, and the 6800 can test as many as 1,440, the Basel, Switzerland-based company said.

Good, though this week it was stated in the House hearing that the US surveillance laboratories didn't have the equipment to do such. But at least universities and hospitals outside of the governmental agencies will now be able to do even though the outdated US health labs may not have the equipment to do such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member